God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6336|tropical regions of london

m3thod wrote:

when the mexicans slurs start you get the hump.
thats exactly what I said yesterday. rawls, you are no different than any bucked tooth, overall wearing, sister banging klansman in mississippi.

m3thod wrote:

God Save the Queen wrote:

rawls2 wrote:

This is what I am afraid of. Taking my kids to see Indiana Jones and have to pass them through this crowd.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24665965
why would you take your children to the castro district at night?
Col. Frank Fitts, USMC.
Welcome to the neighborhood, Sir!

damn it, I just saw that movie not two days ago.

Last edited by God Save the Queen (2008-05-16 16:00:24)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6398|North Carolina

rawls2 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

rawls2 wrote:

This is what I am afraid of. Taking my kids to see Indiana Jones and have to pass them through this crowd.

That, my friend, is the burden of living in a free country.  Pandering to your prejudice would be no better than pandering to the prejudices of racists.

You may find gays repulsive, but if they aren't breaking any laws, then you really can't do much about their freedom of expression.

EDIT: and you do indeed have the freedom to be anti-gay....  just like people have the freedom to be racist, and people have the freedom to mock you and others for their prejudices.
Would I be allowed to throw a hetrosexual parade? Have scantilly clad but legally dressed women dancing with shirtless men simulating sexual activities in the form of dance. Probably not. Double standard I say.
Indeed it is...  This is why I side with neither prejudice nor political correctness, because they are 2 sides of the same coin.  Freedom of expression should mean exactly that -- equal freedom to express yourself regardless of your viewpoint.
God Save the Queen
Banned

rawls2 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

rawls2 wrote:

That, my friend, is the burden of living in a free country.  Pandering to your prejudice would be no better than pandering to the prejudices of racists.

You may find gays repulsive, but if they aren't breaking any laws, then you really can't do much about their freedom of expression.

EDIT: and you do indeed have the freedom to be anti-gay....  just like people have the freedom to be racist, and people have the freedom to mock you and others for their prejudices.
Would I be allowed to throw a hetrosexual parade? Have scantilly clad but legally dressed women dancing with shirtless men simulating sexual activities in the form of dance. Probably not. Double standard I say.
ARE YOU NUTS!?!!?!?!?!?!

why dont you google image "Mardi Gras"

that couldnt be a better reply to your biggoted post.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6664|UK

God Save the Queen wrote:

rawls2 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

ARE YOU NUTS!?!!?!?!?!?!

why dont you google image "Mardi Gras"

that couldnt be a better reply to your biggoted post.
LOL i just did a Google image search for mardi gras.  Godamn jubblies everywhere! I so gotta go to New Orleans one day.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6553
Atleast I know I'm not the only bigot here.
God Save the Queen
Banned

rawls2 wrote:

Atleast I know I'm not the only bigot here.
youre right, youre not.  That makes it a good thing?

I think thats what one might call "A loss for words"

Last edited by God Save the Queen (2008-05-16 16:07:31)

HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5954|Washington DC
This music video's a favorite of some folks here

FallenMorgan
+53|5907|Glendale, CA

HurricaИe wrote:

This music video's a favorite of some folks here

The "Born to be Alive" one was a little bit funnier.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5820

FallenMorgan wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Anyway, I actually agree that it is discriminatory...just wish they'd be happy with their already EQUAL rights as domestic couples.  I have no problem with them being together, even considered legally bound.  I'd just like it if they'd call it something else and if they'd do a separate type of civil document (not marriage).  Marriage is actually a traditional, religious based ordinance..it's not a definition.  Oh well.
So...........you want them to be happy about their right to do something different to everyone else?

And call that equal?

If marriage is a religious institution, it should not be legally recognised (not necessarily saying it is or isn't, though).
It shouldn't.  It's mostly a silly religious thing.  If two people want to get married, fine, just don't tangle it in law shit.
Which is exactly the problem I have with marriage: that it's a religious institution.

TBH, I don't even think there should be legal unions: living with someone else saves you enough money without tax breaks aswell.
FallenMorgan
+53|5907|Glendale, CA

ZombieVampire! wrote:

FallenMorgan wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

So...........you want them to be happy about their right to do something different to everyone else?

And call that equal?

If marriage is a religious institution, it should not be legally recognised (not necessarily saying it is or isn't, though).
It shouldn't.  It's mostly a silly religious thing.  If two people want to get married, fine, just don't tangle it in law shit.
Which is exactly the problem I have with marriage: that it's a religious institution.

TBH, I don't even think there should be legal unions: living with someone else saves you enough money without tax breaks aswell.
Tax breaks for married couples is just incentive for people to get married.  It's very sad that people like you and I are simply islands in a sea of ignorance and whatnot.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5820

FallenMorgan wrote:

Tax breaks for married couples is just incentive for people to get married.
Which I don't understand.  We want people to marry...............why?

At least in Aus we don't have alimony.
FallenMorgan
+53|5907|Glendale, CA

ZombieVampire! wrote:

FallenMorgan wrote:

Tax breaks for married couples is just incentive for people to get married.
Which I don't understand.  We want people to marry...............why?

At least in Aus we don't have alimony.
Here's why they want people to get married:

Conservatives are pissy about the degrading of 'traditional values'.  The divorce rate is at 50% or so, children are raised by single parents, and so on.  They see this as the very root of every problem with our society, ranging from crime all the way to homosexuality.  Conservatives in office try their best to encourage people to get married, that's why married couples get all these stupid-ass legal benefits.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5820
I think you're putting too much into the Conservatives/traditional values argument.  Those arguments don't hold nearly as much sway here, and yet we have tax breaks.
FallenMorgan
+53|5907|Glendale, CA

ZombieVampire! wrote:

I think you're putting too much into the Conservatives/traditional values argument.  Those arguments don't hold nearly as much sway here, and yet we have tax breaks.
Then what do you think is the cause of this?
BVC
+325|6688

ZombieVampire! wrote:

BZZZT!  Non-religious marriages are both possible and given legal recognition, therefore the "marriage is religious" objection is irrelevent.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5820
My guess is it's a hangover from when women didn't work, and supporting a wife would be a burden.  And it hasn't change because most people are married, so there isn't enough political pressure.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6699
Do any of you idiots read the first 4 pages before you decide to post?

Last edited by Deadmonkiefart (2008-05-16 22:47:55)

ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5820

Pubic wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

BZZZT!  Non-religious marriages are both possible and given legal recognition, therefore the "marriage is religious" objection is irrelevent.
At what point did I object to gay marriage?
BVC
+325|6688

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Pubic wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

You didn't, but you did say it was a religious institution.
liquix
+51|6447|Peoples Republic of Portland
it's the responsibility of liberals to wreck a perfect world where women and colored folks have no rights 
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5820

Pubic wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Pubic wrote:

You didn't, but you did say it was a religious institution.
Right, I was confused by this:

Pubic wrote:

therefore the "marriage is religious" objection is irrelevent.
Having said that, it is (or at least, was) religously based.  It's through legal recognition that it's become more than that.
Turquoise
O Canada
While Pubic is right in certain ways, the simple truth of the matter is that, in America, marriage is simultaneously regarded as a religious and government institution.  This is why gay marriage is a conundrum for religious conservatives.

It would be much simpler to just separate marriage from the government, and then institute gay civil unions to accompany straight civil unions as the only legal recognition for the equivalent of marriage.  Once the issue is reduced to civil unions, it becomes a purely secular issue of civil rights.

Religion has no jurisdiction over secular affairs in a secular government.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5820
Which is what I said when I complained about marriage being a legal institution.  Of course, I then went further and argued against civil unions, but hey, hey get to be a extremist nut from time to time.
Turquoise
O Canada
Are you against gay civil unions?
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5820
I'm against civil unions.

Having said that, if anyone gets civil unions/marriage/de facto status then everyone should get it (obviously excepting people trying to marry a 10 year old, or other crazy stuff like that).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard