Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6749|FUCK UBISOFT

After a conversation in This thread, along with countless others with my friends IRL, I really want to know what makes a game so bad (imo) so incredibly popular.

so come on, make me like it.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5972|London, England

hahaha
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6545|Long Island, New York
You know, in all honesty, I have no idea what draws me to it. I mean, I love sci-fi shit, but Halo just drew me in the first day I played it when the original Xbox launched. Perhaps it's the whole "super soldier" thing, and the advanced marines segment...I don't know.

All I know is, Assault on the Control Room = best leval evar
Mutantbear

I never liked h3 but 1 and 2 really got me into the whole fps gaming deal, for a console shooter it is extremely well made, many other console shooters never had a chance back then

Last edited by Mutantsteak (2008-04-08 18:56:40)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6749|FUCK UBISOFT

Mutantsteak wrote:

I never liked h3 but 1 and 2 really got me into the whole fps gaming deal, for a console shooter it is extremely well made, many other console shooters never had a chance back then
as far as console shooters go, you're probably right, when i played gears of war it just felt like a generic third person shooter too.

I guess pc's are just > in every way.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Miggle wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

as far as console shooters go, you're probably right, when i played gears of war it just felt like a generic third person shooter too.

Oh trust me, I agree. If I had a choice whether to keep my PC or my 360, I'd take my PC in a heartbeat.

It's all in personal taste, Miggle. I played MGS and MGS2, and really didn't think either were as good as people said.
Mutantbear

Miggle wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

I agree there, halo was superb... for its time. Maybe people don't like h3 as much because of the fact that there are better choices nowadays

Poseidon wrote:

Oh trust me, I agree. If I had a choice whether to keep my PC or my 360, I'd take my PC in a heartbeat.

It's all in personal taste, Miggle. I played MGS and MGS2, and really didn't think either were as good as people said.
PLay mgs3 then come back

Last edited by Mutantsteak (2008-04-08 19:02:39)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6331|New Haven, CT
The story, I would say, is a major influence. The weapons are as well.

In addition, the customization granted to the players in regard to multiplayer is major draw. You can't play grifball or alpha zombie in other games.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Mutantsteak wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

I agree there, halo was superb... for its time. Maybe people don't like h3 as much because of the fact that there are better choices nowadays

Poseidon wrote:

PLay mgs3 then come back
buy me a PS3 with backwards compatability and a copy and you've got a deal

Halo 1 was revolutionary for the campaign. Halo 2 was revolutionary for the multiplayer. Halo 3 was a combination of the two, but not really revolutionary.
Home
Section.80
+447|6855|Seattle, Washington, USA

1. Custom games/friends - I play these more than any other part of Halo. It is very "friend friendly" and is one of the most fun games to play with friends. It is also very easy to connect with friends. The best part of this is the custom games, so you can pick your favorite level, make your own favorite gametype, and in Halo 3, even customize the level itself and make it your own. I play custom made games more than anything else in Halo, and I have since the first installment.

2. Gameplay - I actually had to stop and think about what it was about Halo that just makes the gameplay fun. I think I've figured it out: I don't think I've played any other game that had such a good, balanced three part system of grenades, melee, and guns.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6476
The first Halo was actually a pretty innovative game, it was one of the earlier FPSes to have vehicles and melee attacks as important parts of the game. Subsequent Halo games however seem like they are the same as the first but with shinier graphics.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6714|67.222.138.85
It's a five on the FPS scale, when consoles only had games that ranged 1-3 before. Looks like god next to the others, it's just nothing particularly new or impressive to PC people.
eaglecorps
shotguns
+23|6251|TEXAS
Syphon Filter > Halo... in my opinion sorry PS player.

Halo's cool though because not only ws the campaign revolutionary but I think alot of it was all the differnt things you could change and all the different ways you could play in multiplayer that helped make it popular.

Last edited by eaglecorps (2008-04-08 20:12:31)

Heavy_Guns_91
I hand out purple hearts like candy
+72|6411|Alberta, Canada
I think it's successful solely because of it's simplicity.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6454|Chicago, IL
for it's time, it was a phenomenal console shooter.  Epic (and almost believable) story line, incredible AI, beautiful environments, and a simple yet effective multiplayer.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Halo 1 had two factors working for it.

1) Development hype.
2) Microsoft acquisitional marketing hype.

Combined, the two created enough momentum to drive an overrated-but-fun series into a third title. Honestly, had the bigwigs at Microsoft had allowed Halo 1 to be finished, they might've had a Doom-like release on their hands, with masterful multiplayer and a series of end maps that made more sense than the endless series of cloned donut chambers with monster closets.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-04-08 21:36:48)

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6164|Vancouver | Canada
Because it's awesome to play with surround sound.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6349|Atlanta, Georgia
Before halo 3 It was the story line that drew people in. It was truly epic. Everyone liked it. Then halo 3 came and it feels like it didn't end right. I think halo 4 is in development cause at the end of halo 3 you could see a planet "probably threshold".

On topic, the multiplayer is fkn astounding.

Another reason why people hate it is probably cause they dont understand it or they dont want to understand it. I'd play halo 1 and 2 before i played 3 so you can really enjoy the story. Some people are just assholes and dont wanna expand their horizons and think PC's are creations from god himself.

Last edited by NeXuS4909 (2008-04-08 23:14:36)

ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6481|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
I think Halo sucks too.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Another reason why people hate it is probably cause they dont understand it or they dont want to understand it. I'd play halo 1 and 2 before i played 3 so you can really enjoy the story. Some people are just assholes and dont wanna expand their horizons and think PC's are creations from god himself.
Oh, plenty of people understand it. So well, in fact, that they resent the fact that, thanks to Microsoft's eagerness to thump out an XBox flagship, Bungee didn't get to finish the first one. Think of what a Heinlein reader thinks of the film 'Starship Troopers' and you get an approximate idea. Besides which, if you want to talk about expanding horizons, PC's have plenty of 'story-driven' games to be getting on with without console people clinging desperately to Final Fantasy or...Halo.

Besides which, they should've put Larry Niven's name in the credits.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-04-09 00:09:38)

Shadow893
lel
+75|6700|England

eaglecorps wrote:

Syphon Filter > Halo... in my opinion sorry PS player.

Halo's cool though because not only ws the campaign revolutionary but I think alot of it was all the differnt things you could change and all the different ways you could play in multiplayer that helped make it popular.
omg you remembered syphon filter!!!!!111!!1!1 I loved that game - and yes Halo does suck a massive monkey dong. (If they are massive )
I suppose I don't like it because I had just played HL2 and then I moved on to H3 and I still haven't even finished it yet because it's just so boring and it seems like too much of a gimmick.

BTW: HL2 is one of THE best games I have EVER played. Just to let you know
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

The campaign reminded me a bit of 'Giants: Citizen Kabuto'. Remotely, I suppose.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-04-09 00:33:00)

Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6351

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The campaign reminded me a bit of 'Giants: Citizen Kabuto'. Remotely, I suppose.
Now that was an awesome game! Funny as hell!
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6277
I've never understood the Halo obsessiveness either.

To me it's average at best. Very poor design in every department, poor graphics and sound, and gameplay at invloves hopping and throwing grenades until you're close enough to the enemy to melee them.

I don't think i've ever enjoyed a Halo match. Not that i've played it a lot. The most fun i've ever had with a Halo game was in the first one, where 4 of us were having split screen multiplayer, and we were driving Warthogs into each other. Even that got boring after about 20 minutes.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-04-09 02:44:06)

TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6447|Brisbane, Australia

Sisco10 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Now that was an awesome game! Funny as hell!
Fuck yeh, giants!

We should get a MP game going lilz.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard