GorillaKing798
Too legit to quit
+48|6131|Tampa, Florida
Ayo! So I've been taking a break from PC gaming just to beat NFS Pro Street, anyways, I was about 50% through the career and my game freezes and I reset and I corrupt my game data and have to start again. It freezes pretty regularly but this was the only time the data became corrupted in the process.

I have narrowed the problem down to 2 things.

1) The laser is not reading the disc right (it is a BlockBuster game and pretty scratched), but then again I just took it apart and alligned the laser and cleaned the game. Also my PS2 has problems reading almost any game.

2) I think it is overheating because this only occurs after about a 1/2 hour or more of playing.

So does anyone have any fix suggestions. I am getting a PS3 very soon so I am really looking for fixes I can do at home and don't have to go to newegg and buy a new fan etc.
Ryan
+1,230|6860|Alberta, Canada

I bet you could pick up a laptop cooling mat and set your PS2 down on that.
GorillaKing798
Too legit to quit
+48|6131|Tampa, Florida

Ryan wrote:

I bet you could pick up a laptop cooling mat and set your PS2 down on that.
I'm trying to stay away from buying anything though, I'm looking for at home quick fixes.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5982|London, England

put a regular fan next to it?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6517|so randum
Im amazed your PS2 is still going, mine commited suicide ages ago.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
GorillaKing798
Too legit to quit
+48|6131|Tampa, Florida

FatherTed wrote:

I have resurrected it so many times it isn't even funny
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6613|Michigan, USA
possibly take the casing off*pretty solid underneath the coverings) and prop it in front of a regular house fan?  Or maybe an open window with a breeze?  Also try taking it apart to see if dust is clogged around the fan port, when i did it to mine found a whole mess, luckily my teacher(worked on it at school ) has an industrial air compresser line
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6778

PS2?
https://www.duncans.tv/images/geico-cavemen-restaurant.jpg
GR34
+215|6562|ALBERTA> CANADA
I have had mine since Day 1 and it works Perfect
PeoNinja
Ninja Fart - Silent but Deadly
+31|6215
tooth paste and a cloth for cleaning eye glasses rinse the cd with warm water. it worked for me on rented games might need to do it 2 or 3 times. like a month ago i rented a game and not even 10 minutes in the game and it froze, did that a couple of times and it played well. good luck

Last edited by PeoNinja (2008-04-07 18:50:20)

killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6608|Reisterstown, MD

GorillaKing798 wrote:

I'm trying to stay away from buying anything though, I'm looking for at home quick fixes.
Get a PS3 with backward compatibility?
TrueMusou
+36|6178|United States Of Hamerica
Which PS2? The Old one or slim? The fat one usually has problems around this time of it's life. I suggest you either shell out for the slim PS2 or upgrade to a PS3 with backwards compatibility. Cause at this point of its life, your only real hope of salvaging what juices the baby's got left is to tinker with its inside periodically. Look at it this way...remember when it took 500psi of compressed air to clean out NES/SNES/GENESIS cartridges? This is PS2's equivalent.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6783|UK
Have you got the new or old one? The old one has various problems such as it requires you put lubricant into the small hole in the side of it after about 3 years to keep the cd drive working, i never found that out till 4 years of owning one. I took mine to a shop and traded it in though bought a new slim one which doesnt have the same problem.
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
+215|6001|Halifax, West Yorkshire
My PS2 still works it's just all my disks are scratched to fuck. I miss being able to play MGS1
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6613|Michigan, USA

killer21 wrote:

GorillaKing798 wrote:

Get a PS3 with backward compatibility?
Maybe you should reread his statement there
GorillaKing798
Too legit to quit
+48|6131|Tampa, Florida
It is the old one, and I guess I'll just wait to get my PS3, as for getting the backward compatibility Sony stopped making the 60 and 80 gb models which are the only ones which have that feature. When the new MGS game comes out they are going to start making them again, but I'll never play PS2 games again so I'm just gonna go with the 40gb.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6657|Your moms bedroom
fuck that, heres what you do, does Walmart still sell PS2's? If they do just buy a new one put your old one in the box and return it

Last edited by Locoloki (2008-04-07 20:44:51)

GorillaKing798
Too legit to quit
+48|6131|Tampa, Florida

Locoloki wrote:

fuck that, heres what you do, does Walmart still sell PS2's? If they do just buy a new one put your old one in the box and return it
They don't sell the fat ones anymore, and I wouldn't do that.
Zilla
Killa of threads
+122|6658|7th level of hell

Fill yer tub with Ice
then fill tub with COLD water, (water has to be cold or this wont work)
set up PS2, TV, Recliner ETC in the room with said tub.
when PS2 starts to act up, drop the PS2 and TV into water.

Problem solved
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6657|Your moms bedroom

GorillaKing798 wrote:

Locoloki wrote:

They don't sell the fat ones anymore, and I wouldn't do that.
I paid a friend 10 bucks to do it for me
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6497|Somewhere else

You have tore into it and removed dust from the grills, fans and everywhere else it may collect?

could always mod the case maybe? cut MORE holes in the case where you can feel heat colelct, add a computer case fan?

GorillaKing798 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I have resurrected it so many times it isn't even funny
I think I have paid for 3 PS2s by now, before I ever had a PC... which is why I am not into consoles AT ALL anymore.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6734|Riva, MD

GorillaKing798 wrote:

It is the old one, and I guess I'll just wait to get my PS3, as for getting the backward compatibility Sony stopped making the 60 and 80 gb models which are the only ones which have that feature. When the new MGS game comes out they are going to start making them again, but I'll never play PS2 games again so I'm just gonna go with the 40gb.
According to Wiki, the 40GB one has the shittiest features by far.  Better to just get an older one off of eBay so the PS2 hardware is right on the motherboard.  It's a shame that they can't keep it on there anymore, it was a really cool feature in my opinion.

Edit: Sorry, forgot the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstatio … igurations

Edit # 2:

You all might also be interested in seeing this as well: http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/30/40gb … nsumption/

Last edited by _j5689_ (2008-04-08 13:52:19)

$niperkiller
+4|6449|NH
i have the slim one and it overheats, but if you take an ice pack (preferably the gel kind that are flexable) and wrap it in a small towel or cloth and put it on the floor and the PS2 on top then it will be fine for a few hours.
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6149|Carnoustie, Scotland
Play outside.

In the rain works best.

Nah, just keep the heating down, and maybe the window open. If you're overheating it, keep it cool, by whatever means necessary.

Also, GJ on PS2. /wins imo, great graphics for something so old and so cheap.

Who's got the origional BIG PS2?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6783|UK

_j5689_ wrote:

GorillaKing798 wrote:

According to Wiki, the 40GB one has the shittiest features by far.  Better to just get an older one off of eBay so the PS2 hardware is right on the motherboard.  It's a shame that they can't keep it on there anymore, it was a really cool feature in my opinion.

Edit: Sorry, forgot the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstatio … igurations

Edit # 2:

You all might also be interested in seeing this as well: http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/30/40gb … nsumption/
The features in the larger models are unnessecary. Why do you need 6 USB ports? 2 does fine.. backwards computability... yeh only PS2 backwards so u might aswell keep ur ps2 which can play PS1 and PS2 games. And some other pointless stuff i cant remember.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard