kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Well there's quite a few scams going around now on steam (more than two; believe it or not!) so I thought I'd compile a post with all of the scams; updating as I find them. I've had two friends lose their accounts and only one able to get them back because of scams, and it's really annoying to see that. So here's hoping that this post will help.

If you know of any more scams, please post them here and I'll update the list!

Name:
AUTOMATED MESSAGE

Information: This nasty little scam claims that your account is in danger of being banned / terminated, or that "the steam servers are updating". It'll ask you for your name and password, and as soon as you give them those details your account will be effectively void to you. Be sure not to fall for this - however convincing!

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/automessageib9.png
Courtesy of Jenspm
Name:
FREE GAMES

Information: Don't be fooled! It might lead you to a site that'll look just like the STEAM community site, saying that it has new information or even a beta download to new games due on Steam (eg. Half-Life 2: Episode Three). As soon as you enter your details into this, your account will again be effectively void to you. This scam in particular is very convincing, already convincing a few BF2s members (see here); be sure not to fall for it!

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/steamscam.gif
Courtesy of SP3C
Name:
VIRUS

Information: This nasty little scam claims that STEAM servers have a 'virus', and that you are required to verify yourself by entering your "correct" details into the message they sent you. Don't be fooled! This scam can also be pretty convincing. The message usually produced is:

Administation would like to inform you that there has been a huge virus outbreak on the Steam network, it is due to this that we have disabled your account and put it into quarantine, please type your account details, in the form
STEAM :
Password :
, so that we may clean your account of any bugs or viruses.
Courtesy of Half-Life2.net
NAME:
ACCOUNT STOLEN

Information: This scam can be particularly convincing because the person who talks to you tries to sound as legitimate as possible. Don't be fooled! This is a scam like any other and they'll take your account. Watch out!

[email protected] says:
Hello, are you there?
[email protected] says:
We apologize for any inconvenience, but due to an email we recently received from: [email protected] we are obligated to contact you. The account has been reported stolen by the alleged original account holder. Steam does not take these types of issues lightly.To clear up this incident and close this case labeled dispute No. 7632143 we need to verify either a CD key or a username and password. If the original CD-key cannot be obtained you may also include the original account holder's full name and address. If you cooperate completely and your account is verified successfully you will receive a game of your choice at the price of $19.99 or lower for your trouble. Again we apologize for any inconvenience. If this information is not submitted within 24 hours of this request your account may be disabled permanently.
-- says:
hello?
[email protected] says:
Your account was reported stolen earlier last week,
[email protected] says:
If we cannot verify you as the original owner it will be disabled shortly.
-- says:
how do i know this is official
[email protected] says:
At this time I can turn off your account.
[email protected] says:
You will recieve an email with 24-48 hours with a new password if you would like.
[email protected] says:
That would be about all the proof I can come up with.
-- says:
this is a fraud, nice try. it says on the very top of the chat window "do not tell your password to anyone!"
[email protected] is now Offline.
Courtesy of ocmyface @ XtremeSystems
NAME:
MULTIPLE IPs

Information: This little scam is also very convincing. It tries to confuse you in that your account has been detected on multiple IPs and is being threatened of termination. Don't be fooled - Steam would never do this!

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/almostscammedlayer16gz9as4.jpg
Courtesy of Warrior at HLFallout
NAME:
XFIRE STEAM ALERT

Information: This little trick, because of its use of (almost) proper grammar (although there are several noticable mistakes) and name can make it seem very legit. They key is to look out for the user's "real" username (in this case - zw125 - clearly nothing to do with Valve).

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/leetkyle/asdadsadsne0.png
Courtesy of liquidat0r
STEAM WILL NEVER ASK YOU FOR YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD! NEVER TELL ANYONE; AND KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT SAFE!

Last edited by kylef (2008-04-11 09:26:37)

Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6372|dm_maidenhead
Thanks for the info!

I would never have thought about not giving out my username and password, +1.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6507|Long Island, New York
Or how about:

Never input your password into anywhere without checking that the browser says "Steampowered.com" in it.

David.P
Banned
+649|6243
Lol! I used to pretend to be a Steam Admin in 05. You dont know how many people i fooled like that, I even got one guy to admit he had an aimbot.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6318|Belfast
where is the more recent one?
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5934|London, England

David.P wrote:

Lol! I used to pretend to be a Steam Admin in 05. You dont know how many people i fooled like that, I even got one guy to admit he had an aimbot.
David.P's a scammer
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland

henno13 wrote:

See: FREE GAMES
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6318|Belfast

kylef wrote:

henno13 wrote:

See: FREE GAMES
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6672
I got that IP address one once, as both me and my brother use the same account I entered:

Username: lozzastirk1
Password: Suckabigdonkeydickprickface

I changed my password three times and my secret question just to make sure.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
lol - I've done that a few times. Stuff like you / suck etc. I wonder how it makes 'em feel!
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6422|Cambridge, UK

People really need to learn the lesson never ever ever give out a passwords or PINs!

If people fall for these and loose a steam account and learn that lesson its better than doing it with bank details or anything else serious
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5944|England

Thanks Kyle!

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to fall for any of these

ScoutStrike
+37|6223
Hah, apparently asking people for their password still works? Jeez, gotta love the scam nubcakes.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland

SamTheMan:D wrote:

Thanks Kyle!

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to fall for any of these

You tried to scam me! I was watching a West Wing episode at the time so just closed the message!
kptk92
u
+972|6378|tc_london
Need a Sticky here!
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK
Also watch out on Xfire too, lol. I can't believe people fall for these.

https://img187.imageshack.us/img187/964/asdadsadsne0.png
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
Thanks liq - added it to the first post!
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6323|West NY

liquidat0r wrote:

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/964/asdadsadsne0.png
lol 'This is an automated message so le3ik the compoter doesn't know wat you saying to it'
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6683|Purplicious Wisconsin

liquidat0r wrote:

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/964/asdadsadsne0.png
Why the fuck would a hacker use something none steam related to contact you? Some people don't have brains.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6239
Hey guys, someone called 'Hybrid C.Pruett' from the BF2s TF2 squad just sent me a message about free steam games somewhere. So yeah. You'll all probably get bugged by him too.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6590|Mhz

Yer i got a chat request off him too, I just ignored him.  Guess me being an anti-social fucker to people I don't know worked out for the best
Brasso
+1,549|6600

same
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard