Poll

How Do You Feel About the Next US President? (only Americans)

Optimistic regardless of the winner10%10% - 9
Optimistic if McCain wins16%16% - 14
Optimistic if Obama wins41%41% - 36
Optimistic if Hillary wins0%0% - 0
Pessimistic, the three candidates suck32%32% - 28
Total: 87
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
How do you feel?  Optimistic or pessimistic and why?
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

"Optimistic if Obama wins": Because he is more youthful than the other choices.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6577|London
I know I don't live in America but I'm a citizen

Also I think I speak on behalf on the human species when I say I'm optimistic as long as the president isn't Bush.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Aries_37 wrote:

Also I think I speak on behalf on the human species when I say I'm optimistic as long as the president isn't Bush or Hillary.
mikkel
+383|6603
I don't live in America, but I'll be living there during the presidency of whoever wins the election.

Truthfully, I'm pessimistic about all of them. They're all professional politicians, and come off really strongly as being just that. If I'd have to pick one, I'd pick Obama, if for nothing else then because his policies and himself to me are the least disturbing of the three, but that's not really saying much. I also like to think that his youth will keep him from getting that image of being above reproach that more seasoned presidents have had, and that he'll need to work on both image and promises, rather than just sitting back and saying "Hey, I'm the president."
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Optimistic if either McCain or Obama win, but that wasn't an option, so I chose #1.

Why?

I believe either one of them will bring in a decent administration and get rid of many of the douchebag appointees in the current one. I don't believe it will be a "my way or the highway" for either one of them.

Can't say the same for Hillary.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida

FEOS wrote:

Optimistic if either McCain or Obama win, but that wasn't an option, so I chose #1.

Why?

I believe either one of them will bring in a decent administration and get rid of many of the douchebag appointees in the current one. I don't believe it will be a "my way or the highway" for either one of them.

Can't say the same for Hillary.
Well said
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6109|Birmingham, UK
If this thread is for Americans only why was it made by an Argentine?

Or have i made, yet again another childish mistake?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

Bf2-GeneralArnott wrote:

If this thread is for Americans only why was it made by an Argentine?

Or have i made, yet again another childish mistake?
What a stupid question.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

I'm a generally optimistic person by nature.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
HITNRUNXX
+220|6711|Oklahoma City
For the first time in my life I am wishing there was a "null vote" on the Presidential Ballot... I don't want Bush around anymore. I don't like any of the remaining candidates. I think we are screwed any way we go...
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
Optimistic regardless the winner ... but the three candidates suck.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
Optimistic about what? Presidential competence, or the future of the nation?
chittydog
less busy
+586|6837|Kubra, Damn it!

Aries_37 wrote:

Also I think I speak on behalf on the human species when I say I'm optimistic as long as the president isn't Bush.
Good call.
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6660|WPB, FL. USA
McCain - no real other choice at this point.  Can't risk everything on hopes , dreams, charisma, and a slogan.  Not the time to let someone get OJT - too much at risk.  Obama would get eaten alive by issues in the U.S. as well as by very real issues around the world (Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Chavez, Al Qaeda, Hamas, Russia, Oil Cartels, Global Economy, Mid East, etc.).
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker

Aries_37 wrote:

Except Bush isn't a candidate in this election ...
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York

Stingray24 wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

Except Bush isn't a candidate in this election ...
That's not what he's saying.

And I agree with him. As long as the President won't be Bush anymore, I'm optimistic.

However, I voted for the Obama option.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

The president is of relatively low importance to my optimism on the future of the United States.  I see virtually any candidate supported by mainstream media/corporate capital/military-industrial complex as no-good for the American public.

My optimism as to the future of the U.S. is the idea that for at least the last 7 years we have been going downhill in regards to economic disparity, social inequality, and erosion of personal responsibility AND freedom.  I don't see it getting a whole lot worse before it gets a whole lot better.  Of course, it really depends on collective American thought and the responsibility of American citizens to demand more from the media, corporate monied interests, and the political system.  As long as we (American people) bow to our (b)leaders, there will be no significant positive change.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6450

Aries_37 wrote:

Lol, exactly, but I think McCain is as bad. I voted for Obama btw

Oh, it's only Americans. NVM.

Last edited by r'Eeee (2008-03-17 18:07:29)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6656

Pessimistic; no matter which of the three wins, nothing's gonna get done and the country is going to suck some more. We need a candidate that isn't the typical wishy-washy, middle-of-the-road person. We need someone who's on either extreme end of the spectrum, or someone who's an independent or Green Party, etc.

Personally I think Ron Paul would've done a great job. Yeah he has some extreme views, and some of them I even disagree with, but shit's not going to get done unless someone has the balls to stop trying to please everyone and do what's right for the country.

However, I'd also like to add that my pessimism level will vary with each candidate. Obama: still pessimistic, but not so much. Clinton: I'll shoot myself. McCain: still pessimistic, but at least Clinton didn't get elected.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6708

jsnipy wrote:

"Optimistic if Obama wins": Because he is more youthful than the other choices.
That's a retarded reason.  Hillary and Obama are the same thing wrapped up in two different packages.  Your post has affirmed that.  McCain is practically the same as bush.  He isn't going to do anything about our number one problem: border security.  Hillary is to Bush as Obama is to McCain.  McCain and Obama are more popular, but they are essentially the same as Hillary and Bush.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
Border Security #1 problem.  LOL.
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6708

mtb0minime wrote:

Pessimistic; no matter which of the three wins, nothing's gonna get done and the country is going to suck some more. We need a candidate that isn't the typical wishy-washy, middle-of-the-road person. We need someone who's on either extreme end of the spectrum, or someone who's an independent or Green Party, etc.

Personally I think Ron Paul would've done a great job. Yeah he has some extreme views, and some of them I even disagree with, but shit's not going to get done unless someone has the balls to stop trying to please everyone and do what's right for the country.

However, I'd also like to add that my pessimism level will vary with each candidate. Obama: still pessimistic, but not so much. Clinton: I'll shoot myself. McCain: still pessimistic, but at least Clinton didn't get elected.
I agree; that's what we need.  America needs something new.  The Democrats and the Republicans are becoming progressively similar.
Home
Section.80
+447|6849|Seattle, Washington, USA

In terms of just the presidency, optimistic if Obama wins. I think he'll do better than Bush. But like KJ said, for the overall future of America I'm pessimistic with all of the candidates. For the same reasons he stated. In the current state of affairs, we will not have a president that is really going to make big changes. Policy changes here and there, but they won't be changing the system.
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6708

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Border Security #1 problem.  LOL.
-It's the one that everyone is avoiding
-It's the one issue that has an obvious solution and that can be dealt with
-It is the issue that would have the most extreme and immediate impact on the area where I live, possibly on the entire country

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard