IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6748|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
The Catholic church has released 7 new deadly sins for our times , which include polluting the environment, were announced by Monsignor Gianfranco Girotti, a close ally of the Pope and the head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, one of the Roman Curia's main court.

Polluting the environment by failing to recycle is one of the new seven deadly sins
the "sins of yesteryear" - sloth, envy, gluttony, greed, lust, wrath and pride - have a "rather individualistic dimension", he told the Osservatore Romano, the official Vatican newspaper.

The new seven deadly, or mortal, sins are designed to make worshippers realise that their vices have an effect on others as well.

"The sins of today have a social resonance as well as an individual one," said Mgr Girotti. "In effect, it is more important than ever to pay attention to your sins."

According to Roman Catholic doctrine, mortal sins are a "grave violation of God's law" and bring about "eternal death" if unrepented by the act of confession.

They are far more serious than venial sins, which impede a soul's progress in the exercise of virtue and moral good.

The new mortal sins

1 - genetic modification,
2 - carrying out experiments on humans,
3 - polluting the environment,
4 - causing social injustice,
5- causing poverty,
6 - becoming obscenely wealthy
7 -  taking drugs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.j … can110.xml

thank God.. looks like i'm still hell bound .. oh noes!!

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2008-03-10 12:50:10)

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6638

What!? You can't help it can you? If you've earned your way there, then how can it be a sin?
jord
+2,382|6684|The North, beyond the wall.
I never knew Pride was one of the sins. That makes sense....

(Borat) NOT!
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6573|NYC / Hamburg

fuck done 5/7. I'm so going to hell
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6005|...
I find it admirable they are still able to keep a straight face when reading them to the public.

Last edited by dayarath (2008-03-10 12:54:08)

inane little opines
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6696|Tampa Bay Florida

Gooners wrote:

What!? You can't help it can you? If you've earned your way there, then how can it be a sin?
Notice they said "obscenely"...

A lot of rich people have more money than they could ever spend in their entire lives.  Spending 20 million bucks on a house when you can get one just fine for 1 million is a sin imo.  When there's people who's lives could be changed for 20k.
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6138|Carnoustie, Scotland
Read

IG-Calibre wrote:

The Catholic church
then stopped reading.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6544|Long Island, New York
Wait, what? Taking drugs? So you can't take advil anymore? Fuck that.
Brasso
+1,549|6636

max wrote:

https://img372.imageshack.us/img372/2512/fsnom8.jpg

....what?  it came to mind!
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6632|Sea to globally-cooled sea
I don't think wealth itself is sinful.  I think that it can lead to selfishness, greed, folly, aggression, and other sinful behavior.

I think we are entitled to what we honestly earn.  I think what the Church is saying is, those who "have" have a moral obligation to help those who "have not" rather than squirreling it away for selfish reasons.

It's in the Bible...I'll look it up and edit my post.

[edit]

Luke 12:15-21 wrote:

Then he said to the crowd, "Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one's life does not consist of possessions."
    Then he told them a parable. "There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest.
    He asked himself, 'What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?'
    And he said, 'This is what I shall do: I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones. There I shall store all my grain and other goods
    and I shall say to myself, "Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!"
    But God said to him, 'You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?'
    Thus will it be for the one who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich in what matters to God."

Last edited by G3|Genius (2008-03-10 13:03:54)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6417|'Murka

Crock o' shyte.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
CameronPoe
+2,925|6561

G3|Genius wrote:

I don't think wealth itself is sinful.  I think that it can lead to selfishness, greed, folly, aggression, and other sinful behavior.

I think we are entitled to what we honestly earn.  I think what the Church is saying is, those who "have" have a moral obligation to help those who "have not" rather than squirreling it away for selfish reasons.

It's in the Bible...I'll look it up and edit my post.
I think Jesus said something like a camel has more chance of passing through the eye of a needle than a rich man has of getting to heaven.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6451|The Land of Scott Walker

Spearhead wrote:

Gooners wrote:

A lot of rich people have more money than they could ever spend in their entire lives.  Spending 20 million bucks on a house when you can get one just fine for 1 million is a sin imo.  When there's people who's lives could be changed for 20k.
Ah but what if you give billions to charity?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6417|'Murka

Stingray24 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Gooners wrote:

Still going to hell because you went and succeeded.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6638

Stingray24 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Gooners wrote:

True, but that depends on what their definition of obscenely is.

Also, no one is going to give away money till they aren't obscenely rich, Would you?

Last edited by Gooners (2008-03-10 13:00:25)

IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6748|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
how does one define obscenely? are we all not all obscenely wealthy in the western world compared to some far less fortunate?  at times I feel like I am, though i'm grateful not guilty tbh..

edit : touché gooners

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2008-03-10 13:02:05)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6696|Tampa Bay Florida

Stingray24 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Gooners wrote:

Then you're good, I guess.
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6458|Cambridge, UK

So which one does priests abusing children come under?

"2 - carrying out experiments on humans" I would guess!
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6005|...
wait not taking drugs.

Doesn't the bible say somewhere "What goes in your mouth does not defile you, what comes out can."

So who made these rules =/?
inane little opines
jsnipy
+3,276|6528|...

max wrote:

can i hitch a ride?
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6632|Sea to globally-cooled sea
Where is your heart?  Look at Bill Gates...he's obscenely rich, but he's resigning as CEO to be "Philanthropic".  This is honorable.

I think the opposite is Oprah, who even in her "Big Give" is only doing it for ratings, fame, and fortune.

"When giving alms, do not let your one hand know what the other is doing"
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6544|Long Island, New York

dayarath wrote:

wait not taking drugs.

Doesn't the bible say somewhere "What goes in your mouth does not defile you, what comes out can."

So who made these rules =/?
wait, wut

...What would come o---oh I get it

I have a very dirty mind. :S
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6573|NYC / Hamburg

jsnipy wrote:

max wrote:

can i hitch a ride?
sure
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
syndicat111
+39|6684|UK
Its good to know God is still in contact, telling us what we can and cannot do
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6458|Cambridge, UK

1 - genetic modification: Oh bugger, I need this to cure my genetic illness - so just a long life of pain... thanks.

2 - carrying out experiments on humans: What! Depends on what you mean by experiment? The first guy to try an aspirin was an experiment... so no drugs at all. All Catholics stop taking any drugs, or any non natural foods NOW! (as if)   

3 - polluting the environment: nice idea, but again not something most can do 100% - All Catholics will have to go life of the land now?   

cant be arsed with the rest.... knee jerk social politics - they just want attention.

until they even get close to these themselves (i.e. at least the church leaders) they should just stfu.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard