uber73
+188|6742|Brisbane
The old saying, "it aint what it used to be" applies to karkand.

At the start, people who played karkand regularly recognised what it offered.. a TACTICAL map, with many facets, many routes to caps, many places to ambush, bottlenecks... u name it.  At the time of typing this, i have 166 hours on Kark.  i NEVER played it to get points, i played it to get the most out of BF2. 

[the following has slight bias re USA, as MEC tend to have no choice initially other than to defend]
How familiar does this sound to u.....

Map Starts.

There is a rush to hotel on both teams, whether in vehicles or on foot.
In the USA main base, 10 people try to get into a 2man tank, TKs abound as dumndicks get caught under tank treads.. For the next 5-10 minutes the following takes place. Tanks and APCs set up on both sides of the hotel flag, all arount the fences off area south of Hotel. A tank heads to the East road to camp Spawning MEC, and APC heads left road.  Ratatatatatatatatatat... Spawn kills.  This is accompanied by 'nade raining in the fenced off area from both sides, players running blindly to their deaths in the Corral of Doom. No progress made.  Just deaths.  No one caps, no one attempts to go anywhere except the Hotel. 

Very occasionally, a brave/stupid squad [but usually lonewolf] attempts to head for the Suburb via the misty mountain route, in a vain attempt to open the map up..

"Ill be the hero! They will thank and love me for providing my fellow combatants with a tactically posititioned spawn point, from which we can mount a more fruitful assault over our middle eastern foes..!"

But as the Suburb roof is usually the sunbathing spot for the MEC commander, the poor cretin is watched the whoooooooole way up to the flag, whereby the commander has his iron sights waiting for him as he pokes his head around the wall at suburb.  His cards have been marked from the first time the MEC commander hit the 'scan' button.  His 2 or 3 minute walk, alone, is like a plod to the electric chair.  Inevitably, the aforementioned brave/stupid lonewolf [who is also invariably a sniper] decides that his one and only venture into the brave world of 'capping' ends, and he opts for an assault kit on his next spawn and goes grenade launching along with all the other useless gimps.  Maybe if he had been squad leader, he might have had folk spawn beside him to aide his assault?  Nope... sniper = lonewolf and cant POSSIBLY consider assistance.

Back to Hotel..  the slaughter continues.  Spawn / Spawnkilled / NoobTubed / Tanked / APC'd / Naded, but NO CAPPING.  Players are in it for the killing, not the capping.  Ive played whole rounds where NO ONE hass capped ANYTHING.

My point is... Karkand has turned into the worst type of map.  Now, its a place where people go to attempt to meet BADGE/MEDAL criteria, NOT to PLAY a game.  Need 40 kills as a medic to get your expert badge?  Go to Kark and tank whore and spawn kill.  Its ruthless... there is NO other map in the game that feels more like a Deathmatch than Kark.  There is no map where u are as unsafe to stand in your own Main base to wait for a respawning armour or vehicle... "Will i be TKd by a wanker, just cuz im standing near APC spot?"... Hell, Ive been TKed for a feckin HUMMER!  Medics will revive u EVEN if they KNOW will get shot down again by the same enemy, just so they get their team points..  Again, ive been revived by a medic 5 or 6 times sequentially, each time, the same tank has mowed me down as i revived. [miraculous things, those shock pads]

I play commander a LOT.

My first command when i take USA commander spot is usually Ctrl-A [select all squads], "Attack this position", and click Square, or Train wreck.. i feel square is best.  This gets most squads replying "yessir", and what happens.... they sally up and assume camping positions around hotel.

Im sick of it.

Last edited by uber73 (2006-02-18 01:48:43)

fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6746|The Netherlands
I was allready sick of it and all city maps they are very overplayed.
i like the china maps for their open ground, large scale and double assault most
people forget that some US troops attack the main base first and we lose that almost instantly (sharqi other way round)
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6710|California

i am going to say this once, and make it true

Warlord is the new and improved Strike, and Operation Smoke Screen is going to pound both their asses
Mr_Spork
+2|6731
I once asked another person why they like playing Karkland, it was because you get easy points...
Microwave
_
+515|6646|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Fully support what you said there.

I really dont like it, it's just a huge kill fest..... no fun at all
Mookie007
+0|6638
Why is everyone just now saying this?

I only play kark when I feel like getting into a meat grinder engagement.  if I want to cap flags I'll play wake, or clean sweep or oneof the china maps. If I want to snipe I go wake again or ghost town.  the maps are different and have good and bad points, if you got locked into kark then perhaps its time to find another map to suit what you want from the game.
Teckademics
+1|6716|Savannah GA
bah i play nothing but kark.. and i still snipe there. all you have to do is sit back and let the headshots roll in. i dont play it to just go out and get easy points i play it cause there is so much shit to kill and KILLING = FUN.

you bf2 to kill things. so why not kill about 3 things at one time..
stampthelamp
+0|6645
Karkand is my most played map. Yes, it is an easy way to get points. But I have to ask, what servers are you guys playing on? I played for about 5 hours today and I averaged about 4-5 flag captures a round and I didn't even have the most. I guess I tend to play on the more srtict servers. They are a little picky, but I think it makes it more fun. In my opinion the worst map made is iron gator. Sure it's fun for the U.S., but what about the MECSF. Yeah, they made it possible to get on the ship, but this only happens when you have people playing that use strategy. I get so pissed when I organize a plan and everyone agrees and then does their own thing. Maybe I need to play with people like you guys. I guess what I am trying to say is that I think the maps were all made well for strategy. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who don't appretiate that and are only in it to try for a lot of points. Too bad.

https://img.tehsig.com/usr_28135/tpl_0/image.jpg
airborne916
+24|6656
welcom to bf2.
BF2Craglyeye
+72|6663|Australia
Good post...

I too have had enough of Karkand, but its no longer the maps its the players.

Even when you do manage to cap a flag on that map, no one will spawn there, and u'll inievitatably be greeted by an APC.

The same goes with Spawn camping, or any Armour for that matter, no-one will destroy it continue playing as assault or sniper, instead of Anti tank to eliminate the enemy presence.

The ERYX/SRAW is no longer used on tanks but intsead on infantry, countless time ive taken out by these things at all distances, 2mts to 102 mts.
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6824
Padkand and Whorelord both are lame.
E7IX3R
is drunk and crazy
+216|6679|UK
I play karkand just to point whore, i dont like it, but when i started playing 24/7 wake servers my score PM went down quite a lot, so i went back to karkand and got some points back.

I'm liking mastuur and fushee pass at the moment and zatar wetlands
AchKillEs-LOD-
+1|6679

uber73 wrote:

At the start, people who played karkand regularly recognised what it offered.. a TACTICAL map, with many facets, many routes to caps, many places to ambush, bottlenecks... u name it.  At the time of typing this, i have 166 hours on Kark.  i NEVER played it to get points, i played it to get the most out of BF2. 

[the following has slight bias re USA, as MEC tend to have no choice initially other than to defend]

Map Starts.

In the USA main base, 10 people try to get into a 2man tank, TKs abound as dumndicks get caught under tank treads.. For the next 5-10 minutes the following takes place. Tanks and APCs set up on both sides of the hotel flag, all arount the fences off area south of Hotel. A tank heads to the East road to camp Spawning MEC, and APC heads left road.  Ratatatatatatatatatat... Spawn kills.  This is accompanied by 'nade raining in the fenced off area from both sides, players running blindly to their deaths in the Corral of Doom. No progress made.  Just deaths.  No one caps, no one attempts to go anywhere except the Hotel. 

Very occasionally, a brave/stupid squad [but usually lonewolf] attempts to head for the Suburb via the misty mountain route, in a vain attempt to open the map up..

"Ill be the hero! They will thank and love me for providing my fellow combatants with a tactically posititioned spawn point, from which we can mount a more fruitful assault over our middle eastern foes..!"

But as the Suburb roof is usually the sunbathing spot for the MEC commander, the poor cretin is watched the whoooooooole way up to the flag, whereby the commander has his iron sights waiting for him as he pokes his head around the wall at suburb.  His cards have been marked from the first time the MEC commander hit the 'scan' button.  His 2 or 3 minute walk, alone, is like a plod to the electric chair.  Inevitably, the aforementioned brave/stupid lonewolf [who is also invariably a sniper] decides that his one and only venture into the brave world of 'capping' ends, and he opts for an assault kit on his next spawn and goes grenade launching along with all the other useless gimps.  Maybe if he had been squad leader, he might have had folk spawn beside him to aide his assault?  Nope... sniper = lonewolf and cant POSSIBLY consider assistance.

Back to Hotel..  the slaughter continues.  Spawn / Spawnkilled / NoobTubed / Tanked / APC'd / Naded, but NO CAPPING.  Players are in it for the killing, not the capping.  Ive played whole rounds where NO ONE hass capped ANYTHING.

My point is... Karkand has turned into the worst type of map.  Now, its a place where people go to attempt to meet BADGE/MEDAL criteria, NOT to PLAY a game.  Need 40 kills as a medic to get your expert badge?  Go to Kark and tank whore and spawn kill.  Its ruthless... there is NO other map in the game that feels more like a Deathmatch than Kark.  There is no map where u are as unsafe to stand in your own Main base to wait for a respawning armour or vehicle... "Will i be TKd by a wanker, just cuz im standing near APC spot?"... Hell, Ive been TKed for a feckin HUMMER!  Medics will revive u EVEN if they KNOW will get shot down again by the same enemy, just so they get their team points..  Again, ive been revived by a medic 5 or 6 times sequentially, each time, the same tank has mowed me down as i revived. [miraculous things, those shock pads]

I play commander a LOT.

My first command when i take USA commander spot is usually Ctrl-A [select all squads], "Attack this position", and click Square, or Train wreck.. i feel square is best.  This gets most squads replying "yessir", and what happens.... they sally up and assume camping positions around hotel.

Im sick of it.
agree 100%.i cant understand why so many people are playing only this map.ok nowhere else u can makeso many points in such a short period of time.but are points the only thing that counts?i play this map only to spent some time with all of my clanmates ,cause most of them are real karkand addictives.and after a hour iam tired of it and play sf or the larger,wide open bf vanilla maps like dalian,zatar or dragon valley.karkand how it is by now is just annoying.
Fluffypanda
+0|6636|Norway
i've played on 24/7 wake servers lots, and i usually never have any problems with getting a good score, and i dont even use jets that much, im usually running around on the ground. The only problem is when USMC just cant manage to get a flag, and im playing as china, and just run around aimlessly, not having fired a single shot. Actually, on certain occasions, i find wake to be much better than karkand if i just want points, cause when usmc only have one flag, thats where tons of them will spawn, and its basically turning into a deathmatch situation, where both teams fight over one specific area, and hey, there is no annoying and narrow corridors, which means less teamkilling from my side I'll admit, i might throw a biiiit too many grenades, its just too tempting
DSRTurtle
+56|6676
I hate karkand.  It has become the worst map in the game.  Everyone was C4 whoring and teamkilling.  I have played it once since the patch and it is even worse.  My K/D ratio in karkand is so bad that it is no fun to play it any more.  I got my Meritorious Unit Ribbon on karkand, that must have a freak game.  Most of the time when karkand comes up in a map rotation I leave.   If I want points by the tons I play an engineer or medic on the blackhawk in mashtuur city.
uber73
+188|6742|Brisbane
point is, kark has become a statmap. its not enjoyable to play for PLAY sake anymore..

stats... feck.  when i started, i thought stats where a great idea.  but not anymore. stats have made people who play bf2 turn into fuckers.  there is NO spirit of play in bf2.. its SOUL-less.....
E^9.Guarnere
+1|6680
well yes this does sometimes go on i find that if you are in a caln and your members are dencent it makes the game 500 times more fun. this is bacause its adds a element of team work that does not exist with most public players. Those retarted medics that run by the dying, now this rarely happens when i play my my caln guys i mean yes it is eaiser and we do cap falgs not just spwn rape also there are a few servers that do not allow tanks apcs or arty on karkand and that is a god send and it makes its SSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO much more fun and longer (ip is 70.86.99.146)
over all i do agree that this does happen most of the time but there are those servers that have made game play much better
DSRTurtle
+56|6676
if you work together with your squadmates, i.e. stay somewhat close to them as you go for flags you will get the points you want and need.  There are times when going off by your self can be good.  The other day in wake I was on the chineese side.  We were down to one flag.  While all my teammates were defending it, I slipped off and capped another one.  The we would go back and forth.  We finally lost, but not before we cut another 60pts of the american side before we finally lost.  50 - 0 or something like that.  I don't mind losing when people are trying, but I hate losing when you can't even move before you die.  Karkand has turned into die before you move for me.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6779|Singapore

Karkand was stupid.

Explain to me 80-90% of your time spent on ONE map.

Don't tell me CQC. There are TWO other city maps.
D-Klaus
+1|6679
I have only recently been playing high player number Karkand maps in attempt at trying to get my basic knife.  What you say is exactly true.  Slaughter between the hotel and US Arty spawn point.  I normally wouldn't keep playing a map like this.

Last edited by D-Klaus (2006-02-18 12:10:19)

uber73
+188|6742|Brisbane
bearz..
read again my 1st paragraph...
Seaneroo
+12|6649
I have never been a Karkand fan.  Strikes me as one giant clusterfuch.  But then again, my favorite map is Fushe Pass, an opinion apparently not shared by many others.
uk.solidsnake
+3|6698|England, UK
This post is frighteningly accurate.
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6682|Calgary

uber73 wrote:

Map Starts.

I play commander a LOT.

Im sick of it.
Yup....War is hell, ain't it?
uber73
+188|6742|Brisbane
think im gonna change server from now on when kark rotates, unless its clear there is some sniff of "teamwork"...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard