TrueMusou
+36|6131|United States Of Hamerica
Okay here's the deal...I'm in uni right now...about 2-3 hours away from my home county.

So my brother IMs me from home and tells me I have a Jury SUmmons letter....WTF!?

What the hell are they thinking? Do they seriously expected me to find a ride (Freshman gets no parking) and drive my ass all the way down to a county courthouse (3hours away) to see if I'm fit to be a juror?!?

That's bullshit! I have fucking finals and term papers to worry about more than JURY Duty!

Anyone have experience with Jury Duty...or the process of it? How'd you get out of Jury Duty...etc etc.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6799|Grapevine, TX

TrueMusou wrote:

Anyone have experience with Jury Duty...or the process of it? How'd you get out of Jury Duty...etc etc.
I've done a lot of legal work in the past....
Its your civic duty and God given right as an American. Go to court and ask for a hardship, meaning you need to attend class. Catch 22, but you pretty much have to do it. Judges really hate it when people ignore the summons. Seriously. Jail time is another option the Judge has at his disposal...

DO IT! +1 karma for the inconvenience.
Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6711|United States
Do what this guy did, he tried to get out of Jury Duty by saying he was a compulsive liar, a racist, and a homophobe.

It's worth a try.
HudsonFalcon
+20|5901|New York
Actually jury duty can be quite interesting if you're chosen for a criminal case.
1927(h)
<< UK

I have a member of staff off on Jury Service now, since Monday this week he has been in on a case for 4 hours and even then he said he was bored shitless.

We are getting compensation for his wages but he dosen;t want to go.  I'd love a go at me and agree with Hudson it would be very interesting.  Knowing my luck I'd end up with some boring fraud case that lasted weeks.

Have you put a deposit down on a holiday? That could be your excuse, providing you could back your claim up.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

Its your civic duty and God given right as an American
Wasn't it your founding fathers, not god, who gave you that right?
Perv3rt
Lookin' through your Window
+193|6210|Man Diego

My friend's dad went in for Jury Duty.  They questioned him and he just started in about what a great man Hitler was.  Got dismissed right away. 

There should be a form/note/letter that is enclosed where you can delay your report time to a more convienent time (ask your brother to look for such note).  If you do report and you don't want to be on the jury, I highly recommend lying.  I was truthful and I kept waiting for them to say Chair #11 you are dismissed.  Never happened, 13 working days later we were done.  Our verdict got overturned because one of the jurors lied to get onto the jury panel.  How ironic?
TrueMusou
The truth is, I'm not even in the county...is that good enough? I mean, I DON'T LIVE THERE! But I dunno the rules...so if it requires me to go to selection in a wife-beater and camouflage cargo shorts and flip-flops w/black socks...so be it.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
Jury duty is your civic duty, and lying to get out of it is pretty low. Of course my dad doesn't have to lie about it, he says he's an engineer and always gets dismissed.

I would think if you notified them about your location they would understand though...
FredFLQ
S0tp R4p1nG u5!!1one
+47|6501|Donnacona, Quebec
Seriously, just say you're at school and don't have time for all that crap. They should understand.

Btw:

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

God given right.
lulz
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Jury duty is your civic duty, and lying to get out of it is pretty low. Of course my dad doesn't have to lie about it, he says he's an engineer and always gets dismissed.

I would think if you notified them about your location they would understand though...
Why would he get dismissed because he's an Engineer? Because they figure he is a very busy man?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85

PBAsydney wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Why would he get dismissed because he's an Engineer? Because they figure he is a very busy man?
Because engineers aren't swayed by lawyer crap.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
Can't you just pretend to be prejudiced against everyone?

Awful lot of honkeys in here...
TrueMusou

DesertFox- wrote:

Can't you just pretend to be prejudiced against everyone?

Awful lot of honkeys in here...
I'm sure that'll get me kicked out...but I dunno how to go about doing that. Do I just start yelling antisemitic remarks in the waiting room? Bring a copy of "Mein Kempf" to look through?

Shit...this is just great.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6100|North Tonawanda, NY

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Because engineers aren't swayed by lawyer crap.
Yep.  Lawyers don't want pragmatic and critical people on the jury.

@OP:  This happened to a friend of mine.  He got a jury summons for his home near Philadelphia when he was going to school in Rochester, NY.  He was able to delay his 'God-given right' to the summer time so he could attend.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6799|Texas
I just got one of these last week myself.  On one side there's a list of exemptions or disqualifications for you to check and send in to the county clerk's office.  Surely you've got something similar in the paperwork they sent you.

Edit -- "college student" was noted specifically as an exemption.

Last edited by ph4s3 (2008-02-28 23:01:59)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard