commissargizz
+123|6463| Heaven
I did biology
VicktorVauhn
+319|6391|Southern California

SenorToenails wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

this isn't really true...I have almost nothing memorized for physics....If you take the time to actually understand the material you can figure out what you need then glance at an equation sheet and figure out what will give you the proper variables. Unless you really don't understand the material, or relly don't try physics is MUCH more intuitive then chemistry, at least at lower levels.

The problem with learning chemisty is that you don't know enough chemistry for things to make sense. Most rules and trends you have to learn "randomly" don't apply in certain situation because some higher level chemistry is taking place. In chemistry you kinda just have to take their word for it and memorize and eventually you will know enough chem to understand why. Physics they tell you something, do a demo to prove it, and then break it down into why right there.

I personally suck at memorizing...I don't know the arc length formula, I know that its basically a summation of the limit of the distance formula as the distance between two points approaches zero, and that the distance formula is the a Pythagorean therm thing. If your like that Physics will be much less frustration.
Physics doesn't require memorization?  Maybe in your dreams.  Not every exam gives you a formula sheet.  And with every science, when you learn the basics, you have to trust that the complicated stuff is happening.  Physics is no different in that respect.  When did high school physics have you deal with the Coriolis effect or phantom forces?  Never, that's when.

Go physics.  It gives you critical problem solving skills, if nothing else.
well first off I did say I was talking about entry level...
And entry level you need to know what? equations of motion? and circular equivilance?

velocity is the derivative of position, acceleration the derivative is that.

you can work your way backwards through all of that from dv/dt=a

Circular motion stuff is almost all convertions from radians to distance around the circumference.

so yeah, 5 equations to memorize if you don't have a sheet.

Chem you need to memorize pages of nomenclature, oxidation states, ionic charges, patterns of periodic behavior and their seemingly random exceptions 

There is just a lot of "this is a rule" in chemistry, where as much more is established as proofs in physics.

In basic physics you ignore coriolis effect and you get an answer that is right enough, in chemistry the little stuff completely changes how it functions.
If you had to memorize a ton to make it through basic physics you did not do it right.

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2008-02-15 22:05:57)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya
Physics is by far the best imo.

Plus, most physics teachers seems pretty whacky lol.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6639
The question now is. Should I take Pre-AP or regular?
masculata
+24|6676|45° 30',North by 73° 35',West
chem
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6594|Toronto-Canada
physics, it's a cool course
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6462|meh-land
Physics, chemistry bores me and is too easy

i like hard maths, they are fun AND easy, and the practical applications of physics interest me
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6720|Sydney, Australia

TheAussieReaper wrote:

If you want to be the guy that refuels someone else's plane take chemistry.
If you wanna be the petroleum engineer that finds the oil, or the chemical engineer that develops the process to refine the oil, you take chemistry.

I did both physics and chemistry for my Higher School Certificate. To be honest, I enjoyed chemistry more than physics... however that not only comes down to the course content, but also the teachers/learning environment.

Zimmer wrote:

Right now? Both would be the best option. Even though I know you can't do that.

Chemical Engineering is a job that companies ( such as BP, Shell  etc ) are crying out for. They need more and will be willing to pay extravagant salaries for such a position ( upwards of £55k > $110k ). I don't know which one you should choose. The more worthwhile job you can grab with either of those subjects is Engineering.

Grab Physics.
Ah yes, there is a global shortage of engineers... which makes the combined civil engineering/commerce degree I'm about to start oh so sweet. On another note, I got my maths textbook today. Calculus - One and Several Variables... my head 'asploded.

What year/grade are you in at school, and what do you do in this pre-calculus thing?... Just curious.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6545
Phys. Ed
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6548|UK

Physics!

I took Biology and chemistry in school, later dumping the whole lot to go for physics, I think it is more of a help in every day life and, tbh is more interesting.  Chemistry pissed me off!!!!!  I passed it all with flying colours, but hated it, despite thinking it would of been the best of all my subjects at the time I choose it.

Martyn
ReDevilJR
+106|6350

mcminty wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

If you want to be the guy that refuels someone else's plane take chemistry.
If you wanna be the petroleum engineer that finds the oil, or the chemical engineer that develops the process to refine the oil, you take chemistry.

I did both physics and chemistry for my Higher School Certificate. To be honest, I enjoyed chemistry more than physics... however that not only comes down to the course content, but also the teachers/learning environment.

Zimmer wrote:

Right now? Both would be the best option. Even though I know you can't do that.

Chemical Engineering is a job that companies ( such as BP, Shell  etc ) are crying out for. They need more and will be willing to pay extravagant salaries for such a position ( upwards of £55k > $110k ). I don't know which one you should choose. The more worthwhile job you can grab with either of those subjects is Engineering.

Grab Physics.
Ah yes, there is a global shortage of engineers... which makes the combined civil engineering/commerce degree I'm about to start oh so sweet. On another note, I got my maths textbook today. Calculus - One and Several Variables... my head 'asploded.

What year/grade are you in at school, and what do you do in this pre-calculus thing?... Just curious.
Pre-calc is basically Math B on steroids. They further extend your knowledge on the basic skills needed for Calculus that you'll need. I'm in Math 4H which is an advanced Pre-Calc class. I hate the teacher, but the material is interesting..
GR34
+215|6544|ALBERTA> CANADA
I have 3 choices next Biology chemistry and physics So I will Probably have to take Physics b/c Chem sux and in BIO Iam not dissecting any thing
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6680|Disaster Free Zone
The one with the 'fun' teacher.
But physics > chemistry > anything > Biology

mcminty wrote:

Really not that hard, if you can do it with 1 variable you can do it with 2 and 3.... and 100's (though that may take a while of working).

ReDevilJR wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Pre-calc is basically Math B on steroids. They further extend your knowledge on the basic skills needed for Calculus that you'll need. I'm in Math 4H which is an advanced Pre-Calc class. I hate the teacher, but the material is interesting..
That really doesn't help. If you didn't know the rest of the world doesn't name their courses, nor teach them in the same way the US does. I started learning calculus in 9th grade, I'm now 4th year uni and still learning new stuff, so "pre-calc" and basic skills means SFA.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2008-02-16 09:37:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard