Nd4Spdr
Stuck in the Dirty Souf way too long...
+10|6682|ATL
This is the request i sent to EA's technical support which they of course had no clue how to fix. My last hope is that someone here may be able to give me some helpful input:

I have played BF2 on my desktop since its release. I recently bought a notebook computer (8600m GT and T7500) and installed BF2 and all the expansions with patch 1.41. When I try to run the game the splash screen comes up, the screen goes black and then reverts back to the desktop. When running in windowed mode I get this error message:

---------------------------

Debug assertion failed!

Version: 1.1.2965-797.0 Build date:2006-9-26 18:53
Module: RendDX9
File: D:\Aphrodite\BF2_1.4\Code\BF2\RendDX9\VideoOptions.cpp
Line: 234
Text: Unknown DynamicOption value 800x600

Current confile:

-------------------------------------------
With the option to cancel, try again or continue. All do nothing.

I have reinstalled many times, repatched time and again, changed the resolution in the exe properties target line and tried changing the resolution in the video.con files in the documents folder as well as in the BF2 profiles folder. I have also tried all the possible options in the compatability tab.

Please help!

Last edited by Nd4Spdr (2008-01-20 17:03:39)

farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6500

maybe the new video card you got in your notebook has some compatibility problems.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6445|Foothills of S. Carolina

Does the laptop run XP or Vista as its operating system?
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6730|San Antonio, Texas
Try this:

Go to the "C:\Documents and Settings\[Your User Name]\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles" directory. In that Profiles directory are folders named 0001, 0002, and Default. Inside each of those 3 folders is a file called Video.con. You need to open each of those 3 Video.con files and search for the line that says "VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@60Hz". Change all 3 files to a resolution & refresh rate that you know the monitor and video card support, and BF2 should work fine.
adam1503
+85|6358|Manchester, UK
Check whether your notebook has an embedded video chip... it almost certainly will, as most non-gaming laptops do.  BF2 absolutely will not run on an embedded video chip, so Im afraid youre stuck my friend.
Nd4Spdr
+10|6682|ATL

adam1503 wrote:

Check whether your notebook has an embedded video chip... it almost certainly will, as most non-gaming laptops do.  BF2 absolutely will not run on an embedded video chip, so Im afraid youre stuck my friend.
It is a gaming laptop. It has an 8600 GT (the best notebook video out now)

It is running Vista 32bit Enterprise, same as my desktop. It also works on my other desktop with Vista x64

I have changed all the video.con files on the entire computer to every configuration possible. Literally spent hours on it...

Thanks for the tries so far.
adam1503
+85|6358|Manchester, UK
Do any other games work on your laptop?  If so, I'd check with EA to see whether your card is compatible with BF2.
Nd4Spdr
+10|6682|ATL
I have tried the newest nvidea drivers, the oldest and a few in between. I've also updated directX 10 and tried just 9.0c with no avail...
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6492
update video drivers
Nd4Spdr
+10|6682|ATL

adam1503 wrote:

Do any other games work on your laptop?  If so, I'd check with EA to see whether your card is compatible with BF2.
HL2, LOTRO, EQ2, UT3, Simcity societies. All work on highest or near highest settings.

BTW 2142 has same problem and EA support is full of idiots who tell me things I've already tried and told them so and they keep coming up with nothing.
adam1503
+85|6358|Manchester, UK

Nd4Spdr wrote:

adam1503 wrote:

HL2, LOTRO, EQ2, UT3, Simcity societies. All work on highest or near highest settings.

BTW 2142 has same problem and EA support is full of idiots who tell me things I've already tried and told them so and they keep coming up with nothing.
Then my *guess* would be that your video card isnt compatible with BF2.  But then I know almost nothing about video cards, so its just a guess.

Last edited by adam1503 (2008-01-20 19:44:42)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Omg, you have exactly the same problem i'm having.  Exactly.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

Have you tried running in compatibility mode?  If you right-click the .EXE file that launches the game you should have a compatibility option.  Try selecting XP as the mode and see if emulating XP will help.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6445|Foothills of S. Carolina

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Have you tried running in compatibility mode?  If you right-click the .EXE file that launches the game you should have a compatibility option.  Try selecting XP as the mode and see if emulating XP will help.
Was also going to suggest this, so give it a try and let us know.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6686
just asking... are you using 2 copies of BF2 or one copy shared on both comps?

There is a debugger that you can run for BF2...
It's in your BF2 folder

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2
BF2_r.exe

you need to d/l this to use the bf2 debugger

put the downloaded unzipped file... vtuneapi.dll in the same BF2 folder
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2

http://files.filefront.com/vtuneapizip/ … einfo.html

then click on the bf2r.exe and let BF2 load... keep clicking through any errors that come up

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2008-01-21 16:50:37)

Love is the answer
Nd4Spdr
+10|6682|ATL

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

tried every compatibility mode available one thousand different ways...

I'll definitely try that out Catbox. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Nd4Spdr (2008-01-22 20:18:00)

Nd4Spdr
+10|6682|ATL
in order to get BF2_r.exe you need the BF2 editor and sadly that can only be installed on XP...
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6103|Carnoustie, Scotland

Canin wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Was also going to suggest this, so give it a try and let us know.
Also check the run as adminsitrator box.
Nd4Spdr
+10|6682|ATL

Funky_Finny wrote:

Also check the run as adminsitrator box.
Yep

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard