Poll

Which is the most humane method of execution?

Lethal Injection44%44% - 54
Hanging7%7% - 9
Firing Squad21%21% - 26
Electrocution5%5% - 7
Lethal Gas e.g. hydrogen cyanide5%5% - 7
Hypoxia through the use of nitrogen14%14% - 18
Total: 121
belldawg
Serial Jay-Walker
+52|5982|Perth, indian ocean
I went to Fremantle prison an the tour guide said that hanging (if done properly) kills the victim in 3/4 of a second or something like that.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554
Death by steamroller. Apparently it only takes about 30 or 40 seconds for the guilty man to die. Difficult clean up job though.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6562|British Columbia, Canada
Lethal Injections, its what they do in prisons and to our pets, so why not.
adam1503
+85|6387|Manchester, UK

belldawg wrote:

I went to Fremantle prison an the tour guide said that hanging (if done properly) kills the victim in 3/4 of a second or something like that.
The problem with hanging is that it requires an exact amount of rope to get the level of damage needed for a clean execution.  Too much and the head is severed clean off the body.  And because each person's neck is different, theres always a chance that it could go wrong, and they'd be left hanging until they suffocate.

The thing about hypoxia is that its brilliantly simple: strap on a face mask, feed them pure nitrogen, and wait for them to go.  No pain, no mess, no fuss.  Just a swift, clean exit from the world.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America

LT.Victim wrote:

Lethal Injections, its what they do in prisons and to our pets, so why not.
Not really. One of the lethal injection drugs, pancuronium bromide, was banned for the purposes of euthanizing animals.
belldawg
Serial Jay-Walker
+52|5982|Perth, indian ocean

adam1503 wrote:

belldawg wrote:

The problem with hanging is that it requires an exact amount of rope to get the level of damage needed for a clean execution.  Too much and the head is severed clean off the body.  And because each person's neck is different, theres always a chance that it could go wrong, and they'd be left hanging until they suffocate.

The thing about hypoxia is that its brilliantly simple: strap on a face mask, feed them pure nitrogen, and wait for them to go.  No pain, no mess, no fuss.  Just a swift, clean exit from the world.
True, but do people who have earned the death penalty deserve to go out on a high?
adam1503
+85|6387|Manchester, UK

belldawg wrote:

True, but do people who have earned the death penalty deserve to go out on a high?
The question is not whether they deserve to feel pain, undoubtedly they do.  But is it right for the state to inflict a painful death on them, when the purpose of the death penalty is simply to end their live and (hopefully) deter other criminals?  I dont think so.
imortal
+240|6664|Austin, TX

CameronPoe wrote:

Death by steamroller. Apparently it only takes about 30 or 40 seconds for the guilty man to die. Difficult clean up job though.
How long would it take for an innocent man to die?
imortal
+240|6664|Austin, TX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Force people in high school to watch people being killed?  Wow, that's brutal.
I am brutal.  I also think it would be a better enforcer of concequences than those silly "highway of death" videos they used to show in Driver's Ed class.

Want to be even MORE brutal?  The condemned should give a speech at the school the day or week before, and answer questions; an assembly.  THEN walk all those kids out to watch the person they just met die for his crimes.

Is that brutal enough for you?
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6657|South West England
Dieing helplessly and tied down or hung up sounds unappealling to me, firing squad at least gives a bit of freedom and you see it coming
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6697

imortal wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

30 or 40 seconds, one would assume.

imortal wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I am brutal.  I also think it would be a better enforcer of concequences than those silly "highway of death" videos they used to show in Driver's Ed class.

Want to be even MORE brutal?  The condemned should give a speech at the school the day or week before, and answer questions; an assembly.  THEN walk all those kids out to watch the person they just met die for his crimes.

It'd be more brutal if the kids had to kill him.
Yes, I'm making a joke in both cases, because this discussion is a joke. No matter what form of execution is used, somebody somewhere is going think it's inhumane. Some would probably believe ANY form of execution is inhumane. And to answer the OP: No. Because someone, somewhere...

Last edited by PspRpg-7 (2008-01-18 13:16:14)

jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6654|Cambridge, England
Stage one, put them i a particle accelerator.
Sage two, put them to sleep.
Stage tree, yes thats right tree..., turn on the accelerator.
Stage four, watch in slow motion as the small cluster of atoms hit the body at near the speed of light, almost instantly ionising the subject.

Alternativly, drop a large wieght onto their heads, like that bit in "Hot Fuzz" when the church spire hits that guy in the head. That looked pretty painless, if not a little messey.

Last edited by jimmanycricket (2008-01-18 13:21:14)

IRONCHEF
+385|6490|Northern California
So what exactly IS a particle accelerator?  Is that like a flux capacitor or something?  Is it the thing they used on Napoleon Dynamite that failed to send Uncle Rico back to 1982 to take state?

Oh, +1 for the Hot Fuzz reference.  Very bitchen movie!
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
This is the largest one in the world (not operational at the moment) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

"While running, the total energy stored in the magnets is 10 GJ, and in the beam, 725 MJ"

"For comparison, 725 MJ is equivalent to the detonation energy of approximately 157 kg (347 pounds) of TNT"

Thats not gonna be too kind on you if you get in the way.

Last edited by jimmanycricket (2008-01-18 13:58:45)

IRONCHEF
+385|6490|Northern California
10 gigajoules?  Is that like 1.21 gigawatts?  If so, then a flux capacitor could do it!  I think...yep, it just might do it!!  Great SCOTT!!
https://www.monkeyrivertown.com/images/up/flux%20capacitor.jpg
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
1.21 gigawatts is 1.21 gigajoules per second.
imortal
+240|6664|Austin, TX

PspRpg-7 wrote:

imortal wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

30 or 40 seconds, one would assume.

imortal wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

It'd be more brutal if the kids had to kill him.
Yes, I'm making a joke in both cases, because this discussion is a joke. No matter what form of execution is used, somebody somewhere is going think it's inhumane. Some would probably believe ANY form of execution is inhumane. And to answer the OP: No. Because someone, somewhere...
Yeah, someone would wuss out and whine.  But hey, who here REALLY thinks the meek inherit the earth?
GR34
+215|6544|ALBERTA> CANADA
Non of them. people shouldest kill people, unless they rape a 5 year old girl then they deserver to be put in an air tight room(very small one) and if they live 36 hours then they can go to prison 4 the rest of there lives.

Last edited by GR34 (2008-01-18 15:14:28)

Markooo*Est
Previously known as CC-Marley
+334|6147|Estonia
They All Are!
Bernadictus
+1,055|6736

I miss a radiobox saying, none of the above are inhumane. People on death row deserve to suffer. Or they would not be on death row.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6549|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

adam1503 wrote:

The BBC wrote:

In the US all executions by lethal injection have been temporarily halted while experts examine whether it is a "humane" form of execution. How does it compare to other forms, and for supporters of capital punishment, is there a more benign method?

The United States is one of 55 countries that practise the death penalty as the ultimate sanction on convicted criminals. But in the majority of US states the procedure is frozen while the Supreme Court decides whether lethal injection is a "cruel and unusual" form of punishment that violates the constitution.
source
55 countries out of 194 (total),  how does it feel to be wrong US (or at least wrong in that your morality is seen as a minority view).
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

I don't know...how does it feel to let other countries decide your country's domestic policies?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467

CameronPoe wrote:

That's still allot of pain even if only for a few seconds, if the head is efficiently severed then there is no pain.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554
Why execute? Can't you just inject them with some wasting disease like muscular dystrophy or something?
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK

FEOS wrote:

I don't know...how does it feel to let other countries decide your country's domestic policies?
Tell that to Iraq.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard