SexyCabbage
One Shot, One Kill ... Always
+68|6487|Kentucky
Im on a laptop computer and not at home so i cant look. But my question is can you flip a PSU over on to the otherside and mount it. I have a Antec 900 case and the PSU mounts on the bottom of it.  All the PSUs i look at have bottom windows and fans and if i put them on my case they would be right against the bottom. so can i turn it on the other side so the fan is facing up but yet still screw it in?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6714|67.222.138.85
Chances are no.
SexyCabbage
+68|6487|Kentucky
i wanted to put one like this in it  http://www.kingwin.com/product_pages/abt520ma1w.asp
mr.widdim
The Second Apostle Of Chuy
+78|6712|Flaming_Maniac = pwnd.

I imagine no, your case dictates where your psu goes... unless you get a new case... or you want to mod yours...
SexyCabbage
+68|6487|Kentucky
well then does anyone know of a good PSU thats SLI Certified, somewhat stylish, possibly modular cable support, and fits on the bottom of a case?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland

SexyCabbage wrote:

well then does anyone know of a good PSU thats SLI Certified, somewhat stylish, possibly modular cable support, and fits on the bottom of a case?
Antec P182!
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6538|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
LianLi V201b, it makes your motherboard go upside down so you can see the sticker on your graphic card
https://i3.tinypic.com/8c3i6ms.jpg
Not my PC
san4
The Mas
+311|6696|NYC, a place to live
I think I mounted my PSU upside down by accident once, so it might fit. It seems nutty for a case to put the PSU at the bottom because it can't do as good a job drawing hot air out of the case.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6545|Long Island, New York
The Antec 900 requires you to flip your PSU upside down...well, atleast the directions say you're supposed to. That's how I have mine. It increases airflow by a LOT.
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6758|the middle of nowhere

_NL_Lt.EngineerFox wrote:

LianLi V201b, it makes your motherboard go upside down so you can see the sticker on your graphic card
http://i3.tinypic.com/8c3i6ms.jpg
Not my PC
Sexy.
SexyCabbage
+68|6487|Kentucky

Poseidon wrote:

The Antec 900 requires you to flip your PSU upside down...well, atleast the directions say you're supposed to. That's how I have mine. It increases airflow by a LOT.
so you can flip it?
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6146|New Jersey
Mine is upside down right now... that's the only way I could get it to fit.  It works fine - I don't see why it wouldn't.  Whether it's right-side-up or not will not affect the performance.
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6196|Canada

I have an antec 900, you wont have any problems with the airflow or anything else.
SexyCabbage
+68|6487|Kentucky
i didnt know if the screws would match up ot not
CommieChipmunk
+488|6577|Portland, OR, USA

Not my PC
heat pipe motherboards would fail in that case.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6724
If the psu has air circulation...(fans or vents aren't blocked)  then you should be fine
Love is the answer
aimless
+166|6132|Texas

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Not my PC
how so?
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6855|"Frisco"

Depends of two things:

1) fans on the psu -- if there is one and flipping it blocks the flow you are in a no-go situation or have to cut a hole (I did that)
2) faceplate on the back -- some cases you can disconnection the mounting face plate, spin it around, and put it back. Others, you aren't so lucky. Why it wasn't designed with 4 screw holes in regular intervals is beyond me, but hey, that's how it is.

So "yes, if it works for your case and PSU".
CommieChipmunk
+488|6577|Portland, OR, USA

aimless wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Not my PC
how so?
I've heard horror stories about motherboards with heat pipes not liking to be turned upside down for too long.. might just be a myth?
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6627|Mhz

SexyCabbage wrote:

Im on a laptop computer and not at home so i cant look. But my question is can you flip a PSU over on to the otherside and mount it. I have a Antec 900 case and the PSU mounts on the bottom of it.  All the PSUs i look at have bottom windows and fans and if i put them on my case they would be right against the bottom. so can i turn it on the other side so the fan is facing up but yet still screw it in?
I have a 900 and I can say 100% guaranteed you can, makes fuck all difference to the cooling.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-12-22 20:47:11)

aimless
+166|6132|Texas

CommieChipmunk wrote:

aimless wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

how so?
I've heard horror stories about motherboards with heat pipes not liking to be turned upside down for too long.. might just be a myth?
I don't see how it would matter at all, unless gravity is an important factor in how heat pipes work. Original desktops, for example, lay the motherboard flat, parallel with floor, while today's pc orient them vertically.

I've seen both with heatpipes, both work fine.
Negerkungen
I could not care less
+541|6750|Topside

san4 wrote:

I think I mounted my PSU upside down by accident once, so it might fit. It seems nutty for a case to put the PSU at the bottom because it can't do as good a job drawing hot air out of the case.
The PSU's job isn't to draw hot air out of the case,it sucks in air to cool down the PSU.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6545|Long Island, New York

SexyCabbage wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

so you can flip it?
You're intended to.

Mine is in my Antec 900.
CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine

CommieChipmunk wrote:

aimless wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

how so?
A heat pipe draws heat away from its source. Its orientation has nothing to do with its efficiency.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard