{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6752|San Antonio, Texas
Well, since my computer was stolen, this is the perfect time to upgrade. I decided, what the heck, I've been saving for an upgrade and I'm going to go all out.

Specs:

Mobo - Asus Maximus Formula SE
CPU - Intel (Yeah, I'm going to give intel another shot...) Quad core QX6850
GPU - 8800 Ultra maybe XFX
HDDs - 2 WD 150 GB Raptors in RAID 0 (I had these in my previous computer and I loved them.)
RAM - 4 GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 PC-8500 (1066MHz)
PSU - OCZ GameXstream 1010 watt
Sound card - Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Sound Blaster
Optical drives - Undecided, maybe 2x Plextor PX-810SA/IBP-BL
Floppy drive - Generic floppy drive. (You never know when you will need one of these.)
Case - Thermaltake armor VA8003BWS

I might throw in the Bigfoot Killer NIC and water-cooling as well.

If anyone could throw out a good CPU heatsink for that QX6850 that would be great, if I don't go the water-cooling route. And if anyone has any good suggestions for the water-cooling system I should get that would be awesome.

Discuss.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6822|Denver colorado
Who stole it?
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6822|Denver colorado
I'm gonna put a tracking device in my computer once I go to college. And maybe buy a safe w/ a gun in it because of that.

Back on topic: That new rig looks good.
mikkel
+383|6594
Whatever you do, don't buy into the Killer NIC. I don't think there's any component that you could possibly get that would be a more stupid waste of money than getting that. Those $250 could be spent so much better somewhere else. Other than that, the machine looks great. You could always throw that $250 from the Killer NIC into a third Raptor instead and run RAID 5.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York
Good CPU heatsink:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6835106102

The V1 is kickass. I have it, love it, and recommend it to everyone.

Btw, I suggest you wait till January to upgrade. Major price drops leaving you room to get 1) a 45nm Quad Core 2) all around better things.

I also would like to commend you for staying calm (atleast online) about getting your stuff stolen. I just built my first computer in July and if this thing was stolen I'd go BERSERK. Ups to you!

Last edited by Poseidon (2007-12-13 15:13:19)

Microwave
_
+515|6648|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Zalman CNPS9700 'LED Super Aero Flower Cooler'

is a great buy, one of the best cpu heatsinks on the market that isn't water cooling.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.

Poseidon wrote:

Btw, I suggest you wait till January to upgrade. Major price drops leaving you room to get 1) a 45nm Quad Core 2) all around better things.
Well, by January, I should wait till march when there will be more price drops and so on. (I need a computer now! I'm using my work's computer during break!)

Poseidon wrote:

I also would like to commend you for staying calm (atleast online) about getting your stuff stolen. I just built my first computer in July and if this thing was stolen I'd go BERSERK. Ups to you!
Thanks, it is just property and I'm glad that I wasn't home because I would have probably killed the guy.

Well, I decided to drop the killer NIC and go with water cooling. I will be getting the Zalman Reserator XT BK with the Zalman ZM-GWB8800 ULTRA GPU water block. Now all I have to do is price comparison, but that's not too hard because it's usually between Newegg and Ebay.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6542|UK

Drop the ultra for GTX.  Could say get a GT/GTS but GTX is still top dog on high rez

Other than that, extremly nice system!

Martyn
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6486|N. Ireland
Yep, the main thing I'd change in that system is simply the Ultra like Bell said
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.

Bell wrote:

Drop the ultra for GTX.  Could say get a GT/GTS but GTX is still top dog on high rez

Martyn
Are you saying that on a price range, because I'm not too worried about that. I know that the Ultras run at a higher core and memory clock speed then the GTXs and push out a higher frame rate. And I will be using a 24" LCD with the resolution at 1920x1200, so I need a powerful card.

Thanks for the input.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6542|UK

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Bell wrote:

Martyn
Are you saying that on a price range, because I'm not too worried about that. I know that the Ultras run at a higher core and memory clock speed then the GTXs and push out a higher frame rate. And I will be using a 24" LCD with the resolution at 1920x1200, so I need a powerful card.

Thanks for the input.
There exactly the same card with a differnt heat sinc.  The Ultras heat sinc is better (a bit) which allows it to be pushed further.  Only by a few percent, (like 6-7%).  Since its like up to a 40% premium over a GTX, for such a small improvement, I personally dont think its worth it.

Buy a GTX, and an additional fan if you like to help keep it cool, and simply clock it faster.....

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2007-12-14 10:26:49)

{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.

Bell wrote:

There exactly the same card with a differnt heat sinc.  The Ultras heat sinc is better (a bit) which allows it to be pushed further.  Only by a few percent, (like 6-7%).  Since its like up to a 40% premium over a GTX, for such a small improvement, I personally dont think its worth it.

Buy a GTX, and an additional fan if you like to help keep it cool, and simply clock it faster.....

Martyn
Ok, if it's just the same card OCed, I will buy a 8800 GTX and OC it with a water block like I was going to do with the Ultra anyways. 
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6609|UCF
Be prepared for the 9 series in a few months(less than 90 days) so you can trade in your 8 series for the 9; and you get the full value of the 8 series card. I love Nvidia's 90-day trade up offer.
ReDevilJR
+106|6344
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6835118020

I have that and the EVGA Ultra, Both VERY GOOD! CPU fan doesn't even turn on since it's so cool. (E6850)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard