True41%41% - 28
False58%58% - 39
Total: 67
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6632|USA
Before you look it up,

True or False:

Ethynol releases the same amount of emissions as gasoline does.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6519|EUtopia | Austria
wtf is ethynol (chemically)?
HeadShotAK47
Hand's shaken' / Heart's beatn' / Still Shootin'
+32|6696|Ft. Laudy, FL, USA
True!
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6430|UK
Do you mean ethanol?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
Same emissions maybe, but not CO2.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jonsimon
+224|6465
False. It's used as an additive to reduce emissions. Wouldn't make sense if it released the same emissions, now would it?

Wiki backs me up on this one too.

Wiki wrote:

Compared with conventional unleaded gasoline, ethanol is a particulate-free burning fuel source that combusts cleanly with oxygen to form carbon dioxide and water. The Clean Air Act requires the addition of oxygenates to reduce carbon monoxide emissions in the United States. The additive MTBE is currently being phased out due to ground water contamination, hence ethanol becomes an attractive alternative additive.

Use of ethanol, produced from current (2006) methods, emits a similar net amount of carbon dioxide but less carbon monoxide than gasoline.[48] If all bioethanol-production energy came from non-fossil sources the use of bioethanol as a fuel would add no greenhouse gas.
It emits equal net carbon dioxide, but less carbon monoxide.

Oh, and I didn't look it up before voting.

Last edited by jonsimon (2007-08-03 07:42:46)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Its used in monster trucks ain't it?
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6721|Chicago.
Without looking it up, I said false.
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6594|Birmingham, UK
I believe that it does 'release', as you say, the same amount of emissions. [EDIT] I meant in terms of CO2, which is all people seem to care about.
But the argument for ethanol use is that it is produced from plants which absorb CO2 for use in photosynthesis, thus making it a more viable fuel than normal 'gasoline'. However, the area required for arable production for the bio-ethanol fuel to replace 'gasoline' is so vast that it is impossible to use as a viable sole replacement.

Last edited by TheDarkRaven (2007-08-03 07:52:54)

jonsimon
+224|6465

TheDarkRaven wrote:

I believe that it does 'release', as you say, the same amount of emissions. [EDIT] I meant in terms of CO2, which is all people seem to care about.
But the argument for ethanol use is that it is produced from plants which absorb CO2 for use in photosynthesis, thus making it a more viable fuel than normal 'gasoline'. However, the area required for arable production for the bio-ethanol fuel to replace 'gasoline' is so vast that it is impossible to use as a viable sole replacement.
In the US. It's great in places like south america where sugarcane is basically a weed they grows on its own.
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6223|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27

M.O.A.B wrote:

Its used in monster trucks ain't it?
And Speedway Motorbikes. Yeah the ones without brakes.
IRONCHEF
+385|6461|Northern California
I said false because I've known about ethanol for the last several months being derived from CORN, and I've looked into flex fuel vehicles because there's an e85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) fuel pump near me.  it's not quite hydrogen (which emits water as exhaust), but it's much cleaner than normal gasoline.  Currently most fuel pumps produce gas with 15% ethanol in them.  Barack Obama would legislate e85 as a standard if elected president.  then we could stop subsidizing farmers and they could really start having serious cash flow..and senor chavez in venezuela could get even madder at us for wasting corn on gas!

...ok, an overshare there.  but i'm almost certain ethanol fuel is considerably more clean than regular gas.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
False.

Not exactly great for one's engine though, so people are reluctant to contemplate it.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6734|Dallas
I don't believe the purpose of Ethynol is to clean up the environment, but rather to ease our dependency on oil.
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6662|Calgary
I say true, also it takes more ethenol by volume to produce the same net power that gasoline produces. Also, converting corn into ethanol results in a net gain in pollutants being released. It takes a lot of energy to convert corn into ethenol, and that power can come from a coal burning power plant.
dirtracer74
+10|6260
Truth be known, it releases more CO2.

We raced at an indoor race last year with sprint cars. We never did get anything done. As soon as we fired the cars, and started racing, the CO2 meter would spike, and the fire department would shut us down.

Little known fact aboyt ethanol. It takes more of it, to produce the same power as gasoline. In our race cars, it takes twice as much as gasoline. Street cars are not as bad, but it still takes about 25% more to produce the same power as gasoline.

Bottem line, they produce the same amount of CO2. Yet, it takes more ethanol that gas, so the CO2 emissions are higher.

Spark also hit on a point. The ethanol is not as good on your engine. We have to add a top lube to our fuel to keep it from eating up out lines and fittings. We still have to change every fitting and line every year, the top lube just helps it last the season.
brighton
+1|6082
Ok, first of all, do you mean the ethanol that's in new gas mixes? Or do you mean ethynol, the triple bonded organic alcohol molecule C2H2?

Secondly, assuming you mean ethanol, the chemistry of ethanol (aka drinking alcohol for all you boozeheads like myself) shows that , when burned, it only produces carbon dioxide (the same thing that humans release from breathing) and water. Yes, that's right, that means that the E85 stuff is pretty much Everclear with some regular gas splashed in for flavor. And, I would assume that ethanol would be better for engines because I do believe that it burns cooler (have any of you ever burned booze in you hand? b/c I have and it's not bad). Oh, and if I sound really arrogant and way too smart about this, it's because I'm a biochemistry major, ....sorry
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK
We need Purefodder the science boff for the low down.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Phrozenbot
+632|6585|do not disturb

It's carbon neutral.
liquix
+51|6424|Peoples Republic of Portland
ethanol is pretty awesome because it takes more fossil fuel to produce it than the production yields (corn.) Also, it's going to be awesome to deplete our soil by yanking entire corn stalks out of the ground.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6540|Portland, OR, USA
C2H5OH

Ethanol is an organic substance (meaning it's composed primarily of carbon, along with hydrogen and oxygen.)  whenever you combust an organic in air (O2) the byproduct is always CO2 and H2O.

Stoichiometrically the combustion of ethanol looks something like this:

C2H5OH + O2 --> CO2 + H2O

(then balanced)

1 C2H5OH + 3 O2 --> 2 CO2 + 3 H2O

So every 1 mole of ethanol (roughly 42.039 grams) will yield 2 moles (or about 28 grams) of CO2

Does it give off as much carbon dioxide per gram?  I dunno.. I'd have to look that one up.  Does it give off some of the nasty stuff conventional gasoline does (benzene to name one)?  Nope, just good ole CO2 and agua.

Last edited by CommieChipmunk (2007-08-03 20:04:46)

mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia
Before we get going, it's ETHANOL. Ethanol is an alkanol, so there is no weird "-ynol" part in it's name

CommieChipmunk wrote:

C2H5OH

Ethanol is an organic substance (meaning it's composed primarily of carbon, along with hydrogen and oxygen.)  whenever you combust an organic in air (O2) the byproduct is always CO2 and H2O.

Stoichiometrically the combustion of ethanol looks something like this:

C2H5OH + O2 --> CO2 + H2O

(then balanced)

1 C2H5OH + 3 O2 --> 2 CO2 + 3 H2O

So every 1 mole of ethanol (roughly 42.039 grams) will yield 2 moles (or about 28 grams) of CO2
This guy knows his shit.

Phrozenbot wrote:

It's carbon neutral.
True. Ethanol can be made from fermentation of glucose (the monomer of starch). The net result from the formation of glucose to the combustion of ethanol is a big fat zero increase in CO2.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531

Spark wrote:

Not exactly great for one's engine though, so people are reluctant to contemplate it.
But only because the engines aren't designed for it.  If the engine is designed for it, it works just fine.
agent146
+127|6357|Jesus Land aka Canada

Stormscythe wrote:

wtf is ethynol (chemically)?
a type of alcohol ?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

Bubbalo wrote:

Spark wrote:

But only because the engines aren't designed for it.  If the engine is designed for it, it works just fine.
Last weekend I had a rental car that was flex fuel.  It took E-85 which I assume was ethanol.  Amazing gas mileage and no drop in performance.  Plus the gas was cheaper also.  Me like.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard