mafropetee
+18|6153|Altamonte Springs, FL
i wasnt sure where to put this, but i think JD is apropriate, since this program is Junk.

anyway... i use AIM. a lot. i refuse to use any other messaging service (besides xfire). its the only AOL product thats worth anything, yet its free. hah.

so i go on their website and see this thing called PlayLinc.

its supposed to make AOL behave like xfire in games.

so i try it out.

first problem: the interface is really annoying and hard to use.

second problem: you have to open games through PlayLinc to be able to use the in-game chat feature

third problem: punkbuster kicked me from a BF2 server for "unknown Windows API."

fourth problem: it completely screwed up my computer while it was running. i didnt even have to press the restart button. my computer restared itself (see? even this DELL thinks the program is a piece of crap).

so i uninstalled it. and i wasnt even using the BETA 2.0 version. i was using the original version.

so im adding this to the list of failed AOL products. heres my list so far:

PlayLinc
AIM Triton
AOL Browser
AOL Companion
AOL Security Suit
and of course, the original AOL itself.
Lasdferret
+16|6493
Seriously, its AOL. What did you expect?
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6535|South Florida
I hate AOL probly more then any other company in the world.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6729|Scotland
lol, that's a good fail list ya got there.

Know what's also fail? DELL

*hides*
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6473|cuntshitlake

Mitch wrote:

What about this cmpany called CHRISTIAN CHURCH?
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6535|South Florida

[E.F.L]Airwolf wrote:

lol, that's a good fail list ya got there.

Know what's also fail? DELL

*hides*
I agree. Dell fails! How dare they release all there laptops with absolutly no recovery cd, no windows cd, no driver cd... they expect you to never reformat????????
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6535|South Florida

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Mitch wrote:

What about this cmpany called CHRISTIAN CHURCH?
Well atleast the Christian Church doesn't go around involving themselves with everything you do... oh wait.....

nahh but really i hate how laptops and desktops from stores like best buy come pre-infected with AOL. (Yes, Pre-Infected)
David.P
Banned
+649|6283
You know that AOL bought the AIM program from a bunch of Israelis right? Thats why it's not made of fail.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6535|South Florida

David.Podedworny wrote:

You know that AOL bought the AIM program from a bunch of Israelis right? Thats why it's not made of fail.
Figures. I still dont use AIM though, just the account. I use Trillian Pro to connect to AIM and MSN at the same time. It's leet. I highly recommend it. The fail level of Trillian is low.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6473|cuntshitlake

Meh I use gAIM in Ubuntu to connect to all of my msn accounts at the same time. I could also connect to AIM or whatever if I had accounts.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Home
Section.80
+447|6857|Seattle, Washington, USA

Anything AOL sucks. Even AIM. When you download AIM, you are basically downloading an advertisement with a mediocre IM program attached. Not only are there better IM programs, everything they have comes with free trials and crap.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6448|King Of The Islands

Home wrote:

Anything AOL makes sucks.
The stuff they buy is still good (that's why they bought it), but when they start working on it themselves it goes to shit.

Thank god they haven't touched my Winamp yet. *huggles*

And 'their' (Kaspersky's) AV is f'in fantastic.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Bruce-SuperNub
SuperNoob
+26|6159|Scotland
I love AOL, So does my mum. They've given me a few problems but not as much as shit like Tiscalli, Talktalk etc. (UK service providers)

Only one i could see myself switching too from AOL is either BT or BE

UK AOL isn't really that bad. Apart from the call centers. of course.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6838|Grapevine, TX

Lasdferret wrote:

Seriously, its AOL. What did you expect?
I want to believe you and everyone else will know better from now on!
mafropetee
ya i used to be stuck on AOL because my parents wouldnt wise up...

as for Dell, can you suggest to me a better non-gaming-oriented pre-built system manufacturer?

sure, their XPS line is shit, except the notebooks, and even those arent the best price/performance.

but their normal dimensions (which is what im on right now... its my moms comp) are great for someone who doesnt know much. and their customer service is great as well.

anyway, back on the subject, AOL is crap, AIM is the only thing they have i can tolerate, and thats that. the only reason why i tried that stupid PlayLinc is so that i can still talk to mah AIM buddies while playing BF2. but i now realize that A: its impossible and B: that would be annoying anyway.

ohh god... what if AOL started making games? like serious games? and then eventually (because they have so much money for some reason that comes from nowhere) they buy out EA? geez... that would be hell. "AOL GAMES: ITS IN YOUR ASS"
David.P
Banned
+649|6283

Mitch wrote:

David.Podedworny wrote:

Figures. I still dont use AIM though, just the account. I use Trillian Pro to connect to AIM and MSN at the same time. It's leet. I highly recommend it. The fail level of Trillian is low.
You really thought AOL could have created anything that is'nt totally fucked up?
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6142|Carnoustie, Scotland
I agree with anyone else. The problem was not AOL, it was 60% your dell!!... and then the rest was your AOL :]

AOL + DELL = COMPUTER MALFUNCTION!
sexecuti0ner
What kinda guy are you are?
+148|6241

Home wrote:

Anything AOL sucks. Even AIM. When you download AIM, you are basically downloading an advertisement with a mediocre IM program attached. Not only are there better IM programs, everything they have comes with free trials and crap.
QFT.  Took the words right out of my mouth (and edited out all the curse words).
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6656|Peoria
Use Trillian like a real boy.
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6631|Gold coast, Aus.
What is AOL? I've only ever heard of it.
mafropetee
quit Dell bashing. they had nothing to do with that, and its impossible that they did. go get a Dimension E520 and put it next to any other computer with the same specs and see if you can tell the difference (other than the case, of course). no. you cant. so shut up

and to clear up the other side of the story, if you get an XPS 720 and put it next to a personally built computer of the same specs, the XPS will get pwned. but still. thats not what Dell was meant for.

ive said it before and i say it again: Dell hatred only exists because its "cool." most people who say Dell sucks have never really experienced Dell to begin with. they just say Dell sucks because everyone else does. i WOULD say its the same thing for Best Buy, but for the most part, they really do suck. also, Dell hatred only really exists in the gaming/enthusiast world, not the world of the average user. and Dell wasnt meant to make a gaming machine, and the XPS line is a major fail. but their Dimension line are nice solid computers.
mafropetee

gene_pool wrote:

What is AOL? I've only ever heard of it.
good. keep it that way lol

Elamdri wrote:

use Trillian like a real boy.
no. i hate that thing its annoying. and AIM is the only thing i would use it for, so whats the point?
Cheez

mafropetee wrote:

go get a Dimension E520 and put it next to any other computer with the same specs and see if you can tell the difference (other than the case, of course). no. you cant. so shut up
Of course you can't, its the same specs!

But put it next to a good computer and you can most definitely tell the difference.
mafropetee

Cheez wrote:

mafropetee wrote:

go get a Dimension E520 and put it next to any other computer with the same specs and see if you can tell the difference (other than the case, of course). no. you cant. so shut up
Of course you can't, its the same specs!

But put it next to a good computer and you can most definitely tell the difference.
the E520 im on right now has a Pentium D 820, 2GB of RAM, and an ATi X1300PRO 256MB. it plays BF2 without a hitch on max settings (even AA). it has no issues whatsoever in any areas.

you probably think of a GOOD computer as one with a C2D with the shit overclocked out of it, 2GB of PC2 6400 RAM, and at least an 8800GTS 320MB. yeah, thats a kick ass computer. FOR A GAMER.

but to a normal user who doesnt game (like my mom, who is the owner of this here Dell), the above system is an utter waste of money better spent in so many other places. to them, even this Dell is a bit extraneous. if she would have let ME pick out the options, she would have saved a little money.

and, like ive also said so many times before: DELL HAS EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE. if anyone has had a bad experience, well... maybe that particular representative that you talked to had a bad day. but every single experience ive had with Dell (and ive had a lot) has been very pleasant.
Cheez

If that's what goes in your Dells, then that's alright.

Ours still come with 256MB of RAM and all are on-board graphics.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard