PHILIPS
Ur mom in a tub
+2|6153|Ireland
Too bad the yank troops didn't waste these fuckers, same thing almost happened in the Danish base in Basrah 2 Soldiers came in dressed like coalition soldiers (not sure what uniform they were wearing) anyway they were let in by Iraqi Policemen, then proceeded to go to Officers area.

A young Danish Officer think it was a 2nd.Lt, had just come out the shower, when the 2 insurgents came in and tryed to tranquilize him with some kind of drug, but the Officer was a pretty tough guy and managed to  get them off him, the 2 insurgents then fled out of the gate which the Iraqi policemen just let them do, without trying to stop them at any kind.

Last edited by PHILIPS (2007-07-13 05:42:07)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6680|UK

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

SgtSlauther wrote:

because u want america to lose in Iraq maybe?
well maybe one should recognise that the US is currently riding the slippery slope downwards towards the checkered flag of failure....

And i still don't see how the wholesale destruction of Iraq using WW2 Patton strategy would have helped?
Do you think without daily air raids the Allies would've won? Since whens the last time there was an Air Raid in Iraq. I'm talking about leveling down an entire city. By doing so, you can install fear in your enemies and they would have near zero morale.
I can understand why the allies 60 years ago began levelling cities:

A) Because of a mad lunatic was hell bent on world domination
B) Give that fucker a taste of his own medicine  Dresden was nothing more than a shafting.

Neither of these 2 are applicable to our friends in the middle east.  Sure there are some similarities between WW2 and Iraq like a mad nutcase in power but the many attempts to carbon copy military strategy between the 2 conflicts are laughable.

So all you that want cities levelled, give it fucking up.  Save the Patton strategies for WW3.

Last edited by m3thod (2007-07-13 06:31:58)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Ottomania
Troll has returned.
+62|6530|Istanbul-Turkey
Fadedsteve Its Easy To Say Go Nuke Em Fuck Em From Your Safe Home Little Kid. You Know Nothing About War. Iraqis Havent Attacked You If You Havent Entered Iraq. They Arent Like Germans During Ww2.  With What Rights You Want To End Millions Life. Its Not Easy To Build A City From 0.  You Are Simply A Racist. I Bet That That Its Alot Easier To Leave Iraq More Than Bombing It.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6725

Ottomania wrote:

Fadedsteve Its Easy To Say Go Nuke Em Fuck Em From Your Safe Home Little Kid. You Know Nothing About War. Iraqis Havent Attacked You If You Havent Entered Iraq. They Arent Like Germans During Ww2.  With What Rights You Want To End Millions Life. Its Not Easy To Build A City From 0.  You Are Simply A Racist. I Bet That That Its Alot Easier To Leave Iraq More Than Bombing It.
Caps lock much?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6353|New York
The Iraqi Security Forces and the Iraqi people for that matter are playing both sides unti it's clear who will come out on top. Their culture is rife with sectarian quirks that make it utterly impossible to reach a peaceful end.  We need to cut the cord and get out or launch a massive campaign to end this quagmeyer once and for all.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653

Ottomania wrote:

but a 16 year old turk knows about war?  how bout those armenians?

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-07-13 09:32:14)

fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6499|Menlo Park, CA

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

No shit. . . . . Turkey has a really good global record of being tolerant against other people. . . . .

I am not saying we need to Nuke anyone btw, I am saying we should have destroyed Iraq and rebuilt it after we won.  We never won in 03' we mearly made the leadership in the country scurry like little rats in their hiding holes.  The army disbanded and formed militias, and radical clerics took over provinces . . . . thats hardly a victory in my eyes.

Btw I am not a racist at all! I have friends of all different races.  I live in California, so I'm not a sheltered asshole! 

"What rights do you want to end millions of lives"?? With what rights do politicians have tooling our troops and not letting them do the job they are trained to do!!! i.e. fight and win a war!!

Sure its not easy building a city/country from 0. . . .but like I said before Germany and Japan (not too mention other nations that were destroyed in Europe as a result of WWII) seem to be doing fine from what I see!! Sometimes you just need to start from scratch. . . .

btw your last sentence doesnt make sense. . . . "I Bet That That Its Alot Easier To Leave Iraq More Than Bombing It."  What the fuck does that mean?? Its not easier to just leave Iraq, if we do that, an enormous humanitarian disaster would erupt all over the place!! You do realize American troops are the ones keeping that place from erupting in all out sectarian war???  The reason that war would occur is do to al-Qaeda provoking the Shiites in the south into conflict.  America needs to wipe out al-Qaeda before any pullout is authorised. 

bottom line. . . .the truth hurts! The truth is Iraq should have been completely destroyed and rebuilt PERIOD! Its not pretty, its actually pretty sad that that IS the truth of the matter.  Lots of people would have died, but it would have been better to start fresh than endure what we have seen going on at this juncture in Iraq.  I'm sorry if you think thats racist or insensitive, but its the truth! War is not some game, its serious business that should be decisive in nature and brutal in execution.  If you cant handle that concept than I dont know what to tell you. . . .

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-07-13 12:13:03)

m3thod
+2,197|6680|UK

fadedsteve wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

No shit. . . . . Turkey has a really good global record of being tolerant against other people. . . . .

I am not saying we need to Nuke anyone btw, I am saying we should have destroyed Iraq and rebuilt it after we won.  We never won in 03' we mearly made the leadership in the country scurry like little rats in their hiding holes.  The army disbanded and formed militias, and radical clerics took over provinces . . . . thats hardly a victory in my eyes.

btw your last sentence doesnt make sense. . . . "I Bet That That Its Alot Easier To Leave Iraq More Than Bombing It."  What the fuck does that mean?? Its not easier to just leave Iraq, if we do that, an enormous humanitarian disaster would erupt all over the place!! You do realize American troops are the ones keeping that place from erupting in all out sectarian war???  The reason that war would occur is do to al-Qaeda provoking the Shiites in the south into conflict.  America needs to wipe out al-Qaeda before any pullout is authorised. 

bottom line. . . .the truth hurts! The truth is Iraq should have been completely destroyed and rebuilt PERIOD! Its not pretty, its actually pretty sad that that IS the truth of the matter.  Lots of people would have died, but it would have been better to start fresh than endure what we have seen going on at this juncture in Iraq.  I'm sorry if you think thats racist or insensitive, but its the truth! War is not some game, its serious business that should be decisive in nature and brutal in execution.  If you cant handle that concept than I dont know what to tell you. . . .
wrong wrong worng wrong

America does need to wipe AQ.  The problem is America doesn't have a clue who is AQ.  They are incapable of distinguishing AQ/Insurgents from the native population.

It's relatively easy segregating the Sunni and Shina, they tend to live in segregated neighbourhoods so checkpoints serve well.  So in essence as recent reports have indicated the surge will provide limited success but the Iraq strategy will ultimately be doomed to failure.

And no Iraq didn't need to be completely destroyed.  Its need to be competently occupied.  You need to read Kman's take on occupation, it's usually posted under "a good looking man once said".....
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6299|Éire
I've been reading Fadedsteve's posts in this thread...

I don't doubt that your tactics would score a resounding victory in military terms but if you did indeed pursue this course one would have to ask the question why bother invading in the first place? You will have succeeded only in liberating half the population of Iraq of life itself. You can't invade a country with the purpose of saving the people from their oppression and raze the country to the ground as part of the process; that kind of war is acceptable when you have been attacked but not when you are the attacker, acting on supposedly moral grounds.

The allied forces didn't start WWII and thus were using the requisite force to put the German aggressors back in their place, they started it so fuck them. The Iraqis did not start this battle and to simply say 'fuck all the civilian collateral damage, lets kill em all and let Allah sort them out' is ridiculous, unless of course you want to come out and admit the war has nothing to with morals and is a purely selfish and/or financial/strategic venture, in which case such a mercenary attitude would be quite fitting.
wensleydale8
+81|6778|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire
If the geneva convention didn't exist then we wouldn't have all the arguments about the war.
Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6299|Éire

wensleydale8 wrote:

If the geneva convention didn't exist then we wouldn't have all the arguments about the war.
Well it's a good thing it exists then, isn't it?
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6499|Menlo Park, CA

Braddock wrote:

I don't doubt that your tactics would score a resounding victory in military terms but if you did indeed pursue this course one would have to ask the question why bother invading in the first place? You will have succeeded only in liberating half the population of Iraq of life itself. You can't invade a country with the purpose of saving the people from their oppression and raze the country to the ground as part of the process; that kind of war is acceptable when you have been attacked but not when you are the attacker, acting on supposedly moral grounds.

The allied forces didn't start WWII and thus were using the requisite force to put the German aggressors back in their place, they started it so fuck them. The Iraqis did not start this battle and to simply say 'fuck all the civilian collateral damage, lets kill em all and let Allah sort them out' is ridiculous, unless of course you want to come out and admit the war has nothing to with morals and is a purely selfish and/or financial/strategic venture, in which case such a mercenary attitude would be quite fitting.
US forces didnt start the war on terror. . . . .

US forces didnt tell Saddam Hussein to snub the international community. . . .fire on coalition troops, and murder hundreds of thousands of people either!  All AFTER he got his ass beat in Gulf War I. . . .

I am not saying fuck all civilians!!! I am saying in a military sense, you need to go for the jugular! We didnt go for the jugular, we tactically struck the Iraqi regime into fleeing.  We attacked Iraq with not even HALF the troops we attacked Iraq with in Gulf War I btw.  We thought or rather George Bush thought that the Iraqi's would welcome us with open arms cause Saddam was such a prick.  That proved totally and completely wrong in every sense of the imagination.  What was our response. . . . . Our response was to police rather than attack!!! The MP's are there to "police", the Marines and other front line combat forces are there TO ATTACK! We went on the defensive and look what happend!! 

Fallujah is a perfect example of my plan. . . . In late 03' the entire Insugency was being run out of that city! The city was decrepit, and full of Islamic terrorists killing anyone at will.  Zarqawi moved in , in 04' and the beheadings and shit all went down.  Now the US "fiddle fucked around" with Fallujah for MONTHS before any action was taken.  People died constantly as a result of bombings, hijackings, other terrorist shit etc etc etc.  When the US finally attacked Fallujah, what did they do in Nov of 04'???? THEY DEMOLISHED the entire city! It was a resounding defeat at the hands of the insurgency, we killed almost 2 thousand Iraqi and foreign fighters.  We essentially flattend the city. . . .My point being we completely destroyed the city, and guess what??? WE WON THE FUCKING BATTLE with no question! Not only that Fallujah is not the hub of the insurgency anymore. 

We havent had that decisive victory against the insurgency since Zarqawi died. We got that victory by being decisive in our plan and brutal with our execution PERIOD! Until the US military conducts operations like they did in Fallujah we will continue to see the bullshit that is going on in Iraq today. . . no question about it!

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-07-13 12:48:27)

Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6709

fadedsteve wrote:

Braddock wrote:

US forces didnt tell Saddam Hussein to snub the international community. . . .fire on coalition troops, and murder hundreds of thousands of people either!  All AFTER he got his ass beat in Gulf War I. . . .

I am not saying fuck all civilians!!! I am saying in a military sense, you need to go for the jugular! We didnt go for the jugular, we tactically struck the Iraqi regime into fleeing.  We attacked Iraq with not even HALF the troops we attacked Iraq with in Gulf War I btw.  We thought or rather George Bush thought that the Iraqi's would welcome us with open arms cause Saddam was such a prick.  That proved totally and completely wrong in every sense of the imagination.  What was our response. . . . . Our response was to police rather than attack!!! The MP's are there to "police", the Marines and other front line combat forces are there TO ATTACK! We went on the defensive and look what happend!! 

Fallujah is a perfect example of my plan. . . . In late 03' the entire Insugency was being run out of that city! The city was decrepit, and full of Islamic terrorists killing anyone at will.  Zarqawi moved in , in 04' and the beheadings and shit all went down.  Now the US "fiddle fucked around" with Fallujah for MONTHS before any action was taken.  People died constantly as a result of bombings, hijackings, other terrorist shit etc etc etc.  When the US finally attacked Fallujah, what did they do in Nov of 04'???? THEY DEMOLISHED the entire city! It was a resounding defeat at the hands of the insurgency, we killed almost 2 thousand Iraqi and foreign fighters.  We essentially flattend the city. . . .My point being we completely destroyed the city, and guess what??? WE WON THE FUCKING BATTLE with no question! Not only that Fallujah is not the hub of the insurgency anymore. 

We havent had that decisive victory against the insurgency since Zarqawi died. We got that victory by being decisive in our plan and brutal with our execution PERIOD! Until the US military conducts operations like they did in Fallujah we will continue to see the bullshit that is going on in Iraq today. . . no question about it!
My last post seems to have been ignored in its entirety, so I'll make the same point again. We're not fighting a traditional war in Iraq. Destroying their cities isn't going to help, and comparing the bombing of German and Japanese cities during world war 2 to what is currently happening borders on the retarded.

I'll explain:

During World War 2, the objective when bombing cities was to destroy the enemy's infrastructure, things like oil manufacturing centers, weapons and munitions factories, transportation hubs, etc. If you go to Japan and visit Hiroshima, you will notice that all the buildings are nice and new, because, as you said, we nuked the place and destroyed everything. If you visit Kyoto, you will notice that all the old wooden buildings are still around, because Kyoto had no strategic importance and the allies didnt bother bombing it. You don't waste your expensive bombers and bombs and risk the lives of your trained flight crews to bomb something that isn't important. Bottom line, you don't bomb cities for the sake of killing people, you bomb cities because doing so serves a higher strategic purpose like depleting your enemy's supplies and weapons.

Furthermore, bombing cities as a whole was not the optimal strategy, it was simply the best way to accomplish the goal of destroying key targets. The United States today has at it's disposal an impressive array of weaponry, and we can literally take out a single building from 30000 feet and leave the buildings on either side standing. In World War 2, when military aviation was still relatively new, it was not possible to hit targets with that kind of accuracy. In fact, hitting a single factory in the middle of a city with an unguided bomb from tens of thousands of feet in the air while hordes of homicidal Germans armed with some of the most advanced military hardware in the world are trying to kill you is pretty damn hard. The next best thing is to just drop a shitload of bombs all over the city and hope that a few of them take out the right target, or maybe take out the workers who work in the target building, or the food that the workers eat or the roads that they take to work... etc.

The bombing of Dresden was not carried out because we just wanted to kill a bunch of Germans. It was done to prevent the Germans from transferring troops between their East and West fronts using the railways in Berlin and Dresden, which were the primary targets. Again, because destroying a single target while the Luftwaffe is trying to kill you is damn hard, the Allies just bombed the roofs off buildings and set everything on fire, because, well, if you bomb enough shit you're bound to hit the right thing eventually. The primary target in Dresden was the railway hub, not the people.

The Germans tried the same thing in Stalingrad, which, if you know your history, was pretty much the most resounding german defeat in the war. If my memory serves me, female civilian volunteer forces manning anti-aircraft weaponry were the first line of defense, and, when the german tank battalions attacked, they fought until all their equipment was destroyed. The Germans, during the course of the battle for the city, destroyed something like 80% of the buildings with combined airstrikes and artillery fire, and occupied at one point 90% of the city. Stalin ordered that the civilian populace not be evacuated, so as to provide the Russian troops more incentive to fight. Now, contrary to what Fadedsteve might think would happen in this sort of situation, in which a vastly superior force in terms of training and equipment destroys and then occupies your city, the civilian populace did not just roll over and give up. The Russian counterattack, when it occurred, was carried out primarily by conscript forces with crummy equipment, and it still killed something like 850,000 German troops.

Let me emphasize that the civilians of Stalingrad were actively fighting back. Factory crews would literally build tanks, get in them, drive them out the front door and start shooting at Germans. Women and children were digging trenches for the Russian soldiers, or actively fighting back. The average life expectancy for a Russian soldier dropped to less than 24 hours at certain points, and they were still fighting. you don't pacify a civilian population by destroying everything that was stopping them from fighting you in the first place.

Cliff notes version: It wasn't called strategic bombing because the name sounded cool. It was called strategic bombing because the objective was to bomb targets that were strategically important. If you're bombing someplace for the purpose of just killing everyone, that's called genocide.

As it pertains to Iraq, we're not fighting a cohesive military force. Bombing the cities is not going to deplete the resources of the insurgency, because, for the most part, the insurgency either already has their equipment or gets it from out of country. If, say, there were large factories supplying the insurgency in downtown baghdad, then the U.S military would be justified in bombing it. However, we already occupied the entire place so if there were such factories we could just go in on the ground and deal with it that way. Moreover, the insurgents are deeply embedded in the civilian population, and bombing the crap out of the cities would almost certainly kill many more civilians than insurgents. You don't kill a fly on your wall with a sledgehammer, because you put a hole in your wall and you would probably miss the fly anyway. You go over with a flyswatter and whack it.

Long story short, if you want to start World War 3, then, by all means, firebomb a few Iraqi cities. Any elements in the population that didn't already want to kill us would then have a pretty damn good reason to try. Think of what would happen if Iraq leveled New York or Boston or someplace. Military enrollment would skyrocket. Congress would throw money at whoever the president was to go and kill people. The country would go fucking ballistic, not just surrender. Why would you think it would work any different in reverse?

Bottom line: we're fighting a minority of the population in Iraq. If the population of Iraq as a whole were fighting back, there would be rivers of blood in the streets and it would be a massacre of the sorts not seen in over a half a century. Destroying a few cities isn't going to stop the insurgency; in all likelyhood, it would simply drive more people to join them.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6509|so randum

Skruples wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

Braddock wrote:

My last post seems to have been ignored in its entirety, so I'll make the same point again. We're not fighting a traditional war in Iraq. Destroying their cities isn't going to help, and comparing the bombing of German and Japanese cities during world war 2 to what is currently happening borders on the retarded.

I'll explain:

During World War 2, the objective when bombing cities was to destroy the enemy's infrastructure, things like oil manufacturing centers, weapons and munitions factories, transportation hubs, etc. If you go to Japan and visit Hiroshima, you will notice that all the buildings are nice and new, because, as you said, we nuked the place and destroyed everything. If you visit Kyoto, you will notice that all the old wooden buildings are still around, because Kyoto had no strategic importance and the allies didnt bother bombing it. You don't waste your expensive bombers and bombs and risk the lives of your trained flight crews to bomb something that isn't important. Bottom line, you don't bomb cities for the sake of killing people, you bomb cities because doing so serves a higher strategic purpose like depleting your enemy's supplies and weapons.

Furthermore, bombing cities as a whole was not the optimal strategy, it was simply the best way to accomplish the goal of destroying key targets. The United States today has at it's disposal an impressive array of weaponry, and we can literally take out a single building from 30000 feet and leave the buildings on either side standing. In World War 2, when military aviation was still relatively new, it was not possible to hit targets with that kind of accuracy. In fact, hitting a single factory in the middle of a city with an unguided bomb from tens of thousands of feet in the air while hordes of homicidal Germans armed with some of the most advanced military hardware in the world are trying to kill you is pretty damn hard. The next best thing is to just drop a shitload of bombs all over the city and hope that a few of them take out the right target, or maybe take out the workers who work in the target building, or the food that the workers eat or the roads that they take to work... etc.

The bombing of Dresden was not carried out because we just wanted to kill a bunch of Germans. It was done to prevent the Germans from transferring troops between their East and West fronts using the railways in Berlin and Dresden, which were the primary targets. Again, because destroying a single target while the Luftwaffe is trying to kill you is damn hard, the Allies just bombed the roofs off buildings and set everything on fire, because, well, if you bomb enough shit you're bound to hit the right thing eventually. The primary target in Dresden was the railway hub, not the people.

The Germans tried the same thing in Stalingrad, which, if you know your history, was pretty much the most resounding german defeat in the war. If my memory serves me, female civilian volunteer forces manning anti-aircraft weaponry were the first line of defense, and, when the german tank battalions attacked, they fought until all their equipment was destroyed. The Germans, during the course of the battle for the city, destroyed something like 80% of the buildings with combined airstrikes and artillery fire, and occupied at one point 90% of the city. Stalin ordered that the civilian populace not be evacuated, so as to provide the Russian troops more incentive to fight. Now, contrary to what Fadedsteve might think would happen in this sort of situation, in which a vastly superior force in terms of training and equipment destroys and then occupies your city, the civilian populace did not just roll over and give up. The Russian counterattack, when it occurred, was carried out primarily by conscript forces with crummy equipment, and it still killed something like 850,000 German troops.

Let me emphasize that the civilians of Stalingrad were actively fighting back. Factory crews would literally build tanks, get in them, drive them out the front door and start shooting at Germans. Women and children were digging trenches for the Russian soldiers, or actively fighting back. The average life expectancy for a Russian soldier dropped to less than 24 hours at certain points, and they were still fighting. you don't pacify a civilian population by destroying everything that was stopping them from fighting you in the first place.

Cliff notes version: It wasn't called strategic bombing because the name sounded cool. It was called strategic bombing because the objective was to bomb targets that were strategically important. If you're bombing someplace for the purpose of just killing everyone, that's called genocide.

As it pertains to Iraq, we're not fighting a cohesive military force. Bombing the cities is not going to deplete the resources of the insurgency, because, for the most part, the insurgency either already has their equipment or gets it from out of country. If, say, there were large factories supplying the insurgency in downtown baghdad, then the U.S military would be justified in bombing it. However, we already occupied the entire place so if there were such factories we could just go in on the ground and deal with it that way. Moreover, the insurgents are deeply embedded in the civilian population, and bombing the crap out of the cities would almost certainly kill many more civilians than insurgents. You don't kill a fly on your wall with a sledgehammer, because you put a hole in your wall and you would probably miss the fly anyway. You go over with a flyswatter and whack it.

Long story short, if you want to start World War 3, then, by all means, firebomb a few Iraqi cities. Any elements in the population that didn't already want to kill us would then have a pretty damn good reason to try. Think of what would happen if Iraq leveled New York or Boston or someplace. Military enrollment would skyrocket. Congress would throw money at whoever the president was to go and kill people. The country would go fucking ballistic, not just surrender. Why would you think it would work any different in reverse?

Bottom line: we're fighting a minority of the population in Iraq. If the population of Iraq as a whole were fighting back, there would be rivers of blood in the streets and it would be a massacre of the sorts not seen in over a half a century. Destroying a few cities isn't going to stop the insurgency; in all likelyhood, it would simply drive more people to join them.
I don't generally post in this section, i read. And this is by far and above the best post i have seen in this thread. GJ
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653
not entirely accuarate though.  I would say the majority of city bombing that the allies performed during ww2 was to dampen civilian moral above all other goals.   After the war the bean counters crunched all the numbers and came to the conclusion that the daylight infrastructure bombing that the United States did, did not leave that much of an impact in hindering Germany's war effort.  Same with Japan.  Fire Bombing in Japan had nothing to do with attacking industry and more to do with the psychological effect it had on the populous.   Tokyo was made of wood at this time.  Fire loves wood.
golgoj4
+51|6783|North Hollywood

fadedsteve wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

Btw I am not a racist at all! I have friends of all different races.  I live in California, so I'm not a sheltered asshole! 

"What rights do you want to end millions of lives"?? With what rights do politicians have tooling our troops and not letting them do the job they are trained to do!!! i.e. fight and win a war!!

Sure its not easy building a city/country from 0. . . .but like I said before Germany and Japan (not too mention other nations that were destroyed in Europe as a result of WWII) seem to be doing fine from what I see!! Sometimes you just need to start from scratch. . . .

Yeah, the truth does hurt. No WMD. No danger to the US PERIOD. No connection to Al Queda. Yet you want to level the entire place why? Its dumb logic like this that got us into this situation.

This is not WWII. Let me repeat. THIS IS NOT WWII.  Saddamn never posed the threat hitler did. If you can prove me wrong, im all ears. But please keep all the al-queda excuses to yourself. Another problem created by us being there. Why did we shift from totally eradicating Al-Queda and the taliban in Afghanistan to creating a clusterfuck in the Iraq. Not to mention a nice proxy that gives Al-Queda some breathing room. But no, everyone just wants to kill Iraqis.

You say that no pullout can be authorized before we get rid of al-queda. Specifically because of the sectarian violence and all the innocents that would be killed. So, its ok for us to bomb the shit out of innocent civillians, but not Al-Queda? Way to win those hearts and minds. Really.

I personally thinks its funny in a sad way that we've created a war thats turned into a quagmire.  I dont think your racist or insensitive. Hell, you sound like me in High school when my policy was make the entire middle east a parking lot. But things have gotten MORE complex since we started a war on a false premise with no plan for proper execution. And now the idea being championed is Kill 'em All? Im not a general. My only duty in the military was launching nukes...no strategic planning other than efficient nuking of stuff. So i'll make no claims to have that ability. But I think you should think about the carpet bombing idea, it really makes no goddamed sense. OTOH, if the circumstances were different, I might be wholly with you.

Come on people....
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6709

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

not entirely accuarate though.  I would say the majority of city bombing that the allies performed during ww2 was to dampen civilian moral above all other goals.   After the war the bean counters crunched all the numbers and came to the conclusion that the daylight infrastructure bombing that the United States did, did not leave that much of an impact in hindering Germany's war effort.  Same with Japan.  Fire Bombing in Japan had nothing to do with attacking industry and more to do with the psychological effect it had on the populous.   Tokyo was made of wood at this time.  Fire loves wood.
Because the morale of the population directly affected those countries' abilities to fight. Factories need workers, the military needs soldiers, and when the workers are building bombs and the soldiers are shooting people because their superiors tell them to and not because every fiber of their being wants to see the enemy dead, depleting morale is good. That was the point I was making with Stalingrad. How much more can you do to a populace than what the Germans did, and yet you still had Russian commanders and troops holding positions to the last man against a militarily overwhelming enemy. Again, the Allies didn't just bomb places because they liked the explosions, they did so because they were trying to hinder Germany and Japan's ability to wage war. Bombing Iraq won't hinder the Insurgents ability to fight. There is no command structure, no bases of operation, no logistical centers (not like in World War 2, anyway). The majority of the population in Iraq has no strategic significance as it pertains to the ability of the insurgents to fight.

The insurgents in Iraq aren't fighting us because they're told to by a chain of command. They're fighting because they hate us, and bombing them isn't going to change that.

Again, going back to World War 2, Kyoto was also made of wood but was not bombed. There were plenty of civilians there who would have been demoralized, but there was no point demoralizing civilians who have no strategic value.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653

Skruples wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Because the morale of the population directly affected those countries' abilities to fight. Factories need workers, the military needs soldiers, and when the workers are building bombs and the soldiers are shooting people because their superiors tell them to and not because every fiber of their being wants to see the enemy dead, depleting morale is good. That was the point I was making with Stalingrad. How much more can you do to a populace than what the Germans did, and yet you still had Russian commanders and troops holding positions to the last man against a militarily overwhelming enemy. Again, the Allies didn't just bomb places because they liked the explosions, they did so because they were trying to hinder Germany and Japan's ability to wage war. Bombing Iraq won't hinder the Insurgents ability to fight. There is no command structure, no bases of operation, no logistical centers (not like in World War 2, anyway). The majority of the population in Iraq has no strategic significance as it pertains to the ability of the insurgents to fight.

The insurgents in Iraq aren't fighting us because they're told to by a chain of command. They're fighting because they hate us, and bombing them isn't going to change that.

Again, going back to World War 2, Kyoto was also made of wood but was not bombed. There were plenty of civilians there who would have been demoralized, but there was no point demoralizing civilians who have no strategic value.
you would be surprised at what a couple 500 pound General Munitions would do to the fighting will of an insurgent.   Im not saying that we should turn Iraq back into the stone age, but, the majority of insurgents that are fighting multinational forces are not fighting simply because they hate us, they are fighting because they could engage and run and fight another day.  I have seen first hand on how these fuckers operate.   Might indeed does equal right to the majority of these insurgents.  Thats why, their only way that they are fighting is through ambushes and hit and runs.  they wanna live, theyre not gonna hang around to be slaughtered by superior military forces. 

Problem with bombing is  that there is no such thing as a perfect bomb.  There is no bomb that is gonna impact and explode and kill all the bad guys while giving gentle massages to all the non combantants.

Bombing will most certainly hinder the insurgent, but at the same time, it will cause 10 times as many more to fight against the coalition.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.   

example:

Taking pop shots and sniper fire from a mosque in fallujah,  called in two 500 pounders via the USAF.  They dropped the eggs, and viola!  between 20 and 30 insurgents come marching out with white flags and hands in the air.  The majorty of them Chechnyans, no less
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6709

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Skruples wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

you would be surprised at what a couple 500 pound General Munitions would do to the fighting will of an insurgent.   Im not saying that we should turn Iraq back into the stone age, but, the majority of insurgents that are fighting multinational forces are not fighting simply because they hate us, they are fighting because they could engage and run and fight another day.  I have seen first hand on how these fuckers operate.   Might indeed does equal right to the majority of these insurgents.  Thats why, their only way that they are fighting is through ambushes and hit and runs.  they wanna live, theyre not gonna hang around to be slaughtered by superior military forces. 

Problem with bombing is  that there is no such thing as a perfect bomb.  There is no bomb that is gonna impact and explode and kill all the bad guys while giving gentle massages to all the non combantants.

Bombing will most certainly hinder the insurgent, but at the same time, it will cause 10 times as many more to fight against the coalition.

example:

Taking pop shots and sniper fire from a mosque in fallujah,  called in two 500 pounders via the USAF.  They dropped the eggs, and viola!  between 20 and 30 insurgents come marching out with white flags and hands in the air.  The majorty of them Chechnyans, no less
We seem to agree then. The U.S military has been using heavy munitions to a limited degree throughout the conflict in Iraq. Surgical strikes on buildings where the enemy is known to be operating is all well and good, but city-wide carpet bombing WW2 style as Faded was suggesting won't help anything. You may cause 30 guys to surrender by dropping a bomb on them, but the rest of the insurgents aren't going to stop fighting because you dropped a bomb on someone else.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653

Skruples wrote:

We seem to agree
yeppers
m3thod
+2,197|6680|UK

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Skruples wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Ain't that the fucking truth. One thing that really grinds my gears is this bullshit line "we spend millions on precision technology"

Its a fucking 500lb bomb for fucks sake, it's gonna blow a lot of shit up and inflict an untold quantity of damage regardless of how much money is spent on on "precision"

Just check out the power of these bombs, how lucky these guys are why those Chechen's came out with their hands up.

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/11285 … e_Soldiers
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

Were they wearing the new ACUPAT uniforms GS?
Also consider the first gulf war, when the USAF used Stealth fighters equipped with LGB's, it scared the shit out of the Iraqis, not so much because they couldn't see the planes but because the bombs were accurate. Then again I've seen plenty of vids of 500lb'ers and 2000lb'ers going off to know they are powerful.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6499|Menlo Park, CA

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Skruples wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

example:

I agree! However the "Shock and Awe" campaign did nothing cause all it was, was targeted strikes that caused big bangs.  That isnt scaring anybody! If Iraqii's have to go underground cause B52's are leveling areas in which insurgents can fight from, I can tell you that they would push the submission button.  NOBODY I mean NOBODY wants to get bombed by B52's. . . . . We didnt even use em' in Iraq!

Look what the B52's did to the Taliban and al-Qaeda in Afghanistan. . . . . Bottom line is Iraq was never put on her knees (so to speak).  You say that bombing will cause 10 times many people to want to fight us. . . .Well its pretty safe to say that we havent even begun to bomb, and there are a shitload of people trying to kill our troops regardless!! I am just saying we need to utilize our forces better and really put the hurt on the enemy, and stop all the PC bullshit that goes into our ROE's. 

You think China or Russia (hypothetically) wouldnt have bombed the fuck out of Iraq??? I bet you all the money in my checking account that if those two countries went to war in that country, they would have leveled it. . . . . I have no doubt! WHEN and I do stress WHEN China invades Taiwan, you think they are going to play nice or bomb the fuck out of them??? Hmmmmmm
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6709
Nice to see that all of my carefully constructed logic and reason had no effect. I suppose I shouldn't have expected much...
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653

fadedsteve wrote:

You think China or Russia (hypothetically) wouldnt have bombed the fuck out of Iraq??? I bet you all the money in my checking account that if those two countries went to war in that country, they would have leveled it. . . . . I have no doubt! WHEN and I do stress WHEN China invades Taiwan, you think they are going to play nice or bomb the fuck out of them??? Hmmmmmm
Its funny, this sounds like the same kind of conversations I was having with my fellow soldiers right before patrols or missions, whenever there was down time before we had to go outside the wire.  We would talk about how to defeat IED's,  how to end the war asap and what needs to be done, how much bush is an asshole, whatever.  One of the conversations I specifically remember having was the one about much easier this would be for us if they allowed us to level an area before we showed up, just like the russians did in afghanistan.  We would talk about how we would just mow a town down with artillery whenever an IED is found in a road nearby. then we would send troops in and clear every building (or what would be left of em)  That would make an infantryman's life much easier, and longer.  But the reality is, we cant.  Its immoral and illogical.  Now, if our goal was to kill every living Iraqi, thats fine, but its not.  Our objective from the start was Iraqi Freedom.  With a title for an operation like that, youd have to assume that Iraqi life is what we were/are trying to preserve.  We didnt fully bomb em because we couldnt affor to rebuild the infrastructure.  We succeeded. 

If you ask me, the biggest mistake this administration made in regards to the occupation of Iraq was to disband the Iraqi military and install an american civilian to oversee the interim period of government. 

Yeah, we would win the fight if we go in there killing everybody like the russians did in afghanistan.  But, in the end, Russia lost.

We're the good guys damn it!

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-07-13 16:33:01)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard