De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6497|Belgium

Well as I got a lot of requests last two weeks by people asking for admin powers on the BF2s.com EU server, I'm making this thread. This is no attack to anyone who asked for it, it's just to clear some things up.

Stop asking please! I don't like saying no to people, but I have to!

Here are a few reasons:

We have a lot of active admins at the moment, usually when the server is running, there are on average 2 or 3 admins playing on it. Even when there is no admin active playing on it, there are like 2 or 3 of them reading the bf2cc chat. And when that doesn't work, a lot of admins are still available by xfire.

So we don't really need more admins at the moment, in fact, getting more admins would only make it harder as some warn while others are already kicking or banning. Then things get messed up and I have to try and solve it, even though I have NO clue what happened and when I talk to people I get 2 different versions.

Some of you, and again, this is NO attack, in fact I'm glad you guys are offering your help! But some of you ask for powers while we don't even know you enough yet. To give an example, Legionair has played on the server for a year before he got his admin powers and I can't remember him breaking the rules once. I know he knows the rules and plays by them, I also know that he will try to enforce those rules. He also never asked for them. In the old days, You usually got admin powers if they were offered to you.
To be honest, I asked for them too, but I still think that was different. I asked Schuss for some powers when the EU server was dead for a few months and no-one was playing on it to try and revive it. It's still different than asking for powers on a server that is playing almost every evening.
Back on topic, I haven't played with some of you enough to be sure that you know all our rules. I know I don't play 24/7 either and uni is busy and taking a lot of my time, but I also talk to the other admins before giving some rights, so just show up enough on the server.
TS isn't a rule, but it usually helps if you are on it. Play as a team, in the bf2s/kntl squads and eventually you might get admin rights.

Some of you ask for rights because you have admin powers on the PR or the 2142 server. Well at first I gave them, but I'm stopping this now.
With all respect, but some of you haven't or rarely play on the eu server, so I don't want to give you admin powers yet. If you want them, come play on our server and prove you are worth having them. I'm glad you want to join the EU server, but you have to understand that it took a lot of hours and effort to revive the eu server. It was totally dead. While you guys were enjoying the full 2142 server, me and a few admins tried hard to bring back what was once a legend. Just because the 2142 server is harder to fill now, doesn't give you the right to switch to here now and get some powers.

As a last point I want to show you guys that having admin rights isn't all about the fun:
First: you get a lot of complaints, people whine ALL the time. They say 'kick him' without giving a name or a reason.
Second: Oke, you know the name and action, how can you be sure that it actually happened, what if the guy starts saying that it was the other way around. Who will you kick and how can you make them both shut up without getting rid of the guy that didn't do anything wrong?
Third: If you care about your SPM (and a bit kdr), don't be an admin, on some maps like wake or oman you spent almost the entire round warning, kicking and banning people because they just keep breaking the rules.
If you are lucky, you can just use in-game powers all the time, if you are unlucky you have to switch out of the game to have a look at BF2CC, watch how many TK's everyone made and how many punishes someone has (forcing tk's).
Fourth: Congratulations, you kicked a guy, sometimes it's over here, for this case, but expect a new complaint within minutes. Sometimes if you are unlucky the guy comes back to whine (or his clanmate starts to). On the server or on the forum. You have to stay patient, and tell him he was wrong, or that you at least thought he was wrong, sometimes you have to admit your fault.
Fifth: No matter what you do, there will always be guys yelling at you and giving you names because you are a f*cking blind admin. You can't see everything, you make mistakes sometimes, and you HAVE to be patient enough to deal with it without abusing your powers.

The way I see it: Being an admin isn't a privilege, but a responsibility. You have to try and keep peace on the server while you are usually not really respected anyway. You cannot abuse your powers for personal gain, except maybe switch yourself to the side the other guys who are on TS too are on. (you can also ask an admin this, or switch if it works).

If you still think after reading this that we overlooked you and that you still deserve or want admin powers, then feel free to ask it again, and we will consider it!

De_Jappe
Hallvard
+262|6492|North Norway

People are asking for admin? That's like asking to get mod powers on a forum... You don't really ask such things imo
Unless like you've been around for a very long time and you've always followed rules and you you know the rules and you are 110% shure you will be a good admin... Then I think it's ok to, not ask, but make the people in charge know that you are willing to take responsebility and help out on the server...

Last edited by kmjnhb (2007-06-03 08:21:41)

RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6535|Area 51
Being an admin sucks donkeyballs most of the times. I know it, I often admin up to 3 servers at a time, people allways whining, asking for the admin, then never answer again. Aaaargh!!

And its true, your busy most of the times with warning, kicking, even banning people. Sometimes, you just feel like leaving the server, and just join one on which someone else is an admin

Last edited by RDMC(2) (2007-06-03 08:23:58)

bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6659|London, UK
Is the server streaming to punkbuster and are screenshots being checked daily seeing as this is about admin shizzle...??
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6439

bullit wrote:

Is the server streaming to punkbuster and are screenshots being checked daily seeing as this is about admin shizzle...??
It's PB, not sure about screenshot checking since I can't do it.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6497|Belgium

SS are being taken and occasionally checked.
bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6659|London, UK
Good to know
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6439

bullit wrote:

Good to know
Going to turn your hacks off now?
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6811|Cologne, Germany

Jappi has my full support, so don't come running to me.
tthf
Member 5307
+210|6728|06-01
me me me!!! i wanna be an admin!!!
wait... this is not p0rnAllsTarsGaming?

edit: there is no such thing.... i think
edit II: i personally think admins powers should be offered not demanded of, unless there is a damn good reason.

Last edited by tthf (2007-06-03 23:59:36)

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK
I think I agree with pretty much everything you said there. Especially the 5 points about being an admin.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard