unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

sergeriver wrote:

Wtf is going on here? 
There are many people who really need to understand that racism is not the solution. 
Have you read the latest threads about Islam or Muslims? 
There is a total disrespect for the entire Muslim community.  And I'm not Muslim.  But if some Muslim guy enters this forum and reads some threads he will run away.  [insert bad joke about Muslims blowing shit here]
And I noticed some Nazi comments as well.  Nothing compared to the reigning Islamophobia, but still scaring, since we all know what Nazism can do.
The discriminatory comments need to stop.  Thousands of kids read this.  What are we teaching them?  That the whole Middle East is a bunch of terrorists?  I don't think that's right. 
If you don't like Religion cool.  If you don't like Islam cool.  But show some respect for other people's beliefs and stop generalizing about Religions and Ethnic groups.
We are not helping the situation, we are spreading the hate.
Anti-religious/political attitudes are not necessarily racist. Nor, for that matter (referring to a recent thread of mine), is calling a Mexican guy a Mexican.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-05-05 01:09:00)

commissargizz
+123|6462| Heaven
If you hate racists is that fascism?
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6281|Pennsyltucky

I am against Racism but I believe profiling has it's place.

It was Middle Eastern men that hijacked the planes on 9/11/01.

Why are the airports "randomly" picking people to search.

The truth may not be pretty and it may not make us happy but the reality is that those are the type of people the airlines should be focussing on.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6489|Menlo Park, CA
The anti semitism on these forums is rampant. . . .

Its unreal how much you guys bag on Jews, Israel, and "zionists"!!

I swear it seems the Iranian government is editing people's posts/speaking for them. . . .

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-05-05 03:42:33)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

The report button works here. If a post is blatantly offensive use it. We talk about sensitive subjects in here and if someone crosses the line from intellectual debate to hateful remarks they will be taken care of. Otherwise challenge their views.
What are we?  Vigilantes?  I can't report a zillion posts.  Besides, haven't you noticed the huge amount of racist posts here?
Vigilantes...lol
No you are part of this community. With over 27k members Mods count everyones help. I see borderline offensive post nearly everyday and by no means are they limited to race. As I said before it is a fine line between free thought/expression and censorship. Usually it's just bad wording or the other members are quick to tackle the inconsiderate themselves. With a forum as popular as this one people are bound to have their toes stepped on. However, if you see racism call it out and we can deal with it. But throwing around "you are racist" every other post only encourages the real racist to put on their mask making it tougher to identify them.
Do you need this thread to be reported?  OMG, Muslims stoning a 17 year old girl for dating a Sunni. Shocker.  Some guy opens a thread about Muslims stoning a girl to death and they aren't even Muslims.  Islamophobia here is at it's best.
Or this one where some guy says Iraqis are not humans, then they don't have rights, lol.    I didn't throw "you are a racist" around.  Everyone knows who the racists are.  I'm not encouraging racists.  Your accusations are unjustified.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Wtf is going on here? 
There are many people who really need to understand that racism is not the solution. 
Have you read the latest threads about Islam or Muslims? 
There is a total disrespect for the entire Muslim community.  And I'm not Muslim.  But if some Muslim guy enters this forum and reads some threads he will run away.  [insert bad joke about Muslims blowing shit here]
And I noticed some Nazi comments as well.  Nothing compared to the reigning Islamophobia, but still scaring, since we all know what Nazism can do.
The discriminatory comments need to stop.  Thousands of kids read this.  What are we teaching them?  That the whole Middle East is a bunch of terrorists?  I don't think that's right. 
If you don't like Religion cool.  If you don't like Islam cool.  But show some respect for other people's beliefs and stop generalizing about Religions and Ethnic groups.
We are not helping the situation, we are spreading the hate.
Anti-religious/political attitudes are not necessarily racist. Nor, for that matter (referring to a recent thread of mine), is calling a Mexican guy a Mexican.
No, calling a Mexican guy a Mexican is not racist, but saying that most Muslims are terrorists, or that Iraqis are not humans, that is racist.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

fadedsteve wrote:

The anti semitism on these forums is rampant. . . .

Its unreal how much you guys bag on Jews, Israel, and "zionists"!!

I swear it seems the Iranian government is editing people's posts/speaking for them. . . .
I saw anti-Semite posts too.  But criticizing Israel policies isn't anti-Semite, so I don't know why you include Israel there.  Jews are one thing, and Israel is another.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire
Anyone who doesn't take each individual on their own merits is ignorant and by extension often racist. Race is one of many variables that may have an effect on a person's personality and psychology but it is not the defining factor.

Racism = ignorance (plain and simple)
eisBär
+22|6243|Germany
I think that even Muslims can agree that there are a boatload of extremists that turn to violence in the name of their religion. The question should be: "Why?" (It certainly has something to do with the current teaching of that religion IN CERTAIN sects or geographical areas or else it wouldn't be done in the name of Allah.) -- I have my own theories that I wont get into but people who object to any generalization are also part of the problem because they label anyone who would try to answer such a  question as a stereotyper at best, a bigot, a nazi or a racist.

Last edited by eisBär (2007-05-05 05:19:15)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

eisBär wrote:

I think that even Muslims can agree that there are a boatload of extremists that turn to violence in the name of their religion. The question should be: "Why?" (It certainly has something to do with the current teaching of that religion IN CERTAIN sects or geographical areas or else it wouldn't be done in the name of Allah.) -- I have my own theories that I wont get into but people who object to any generalization are also part of the problem because they label anyone who would try to answer such a  question as a stereotyper at best, a bigot, a nazi or a racist.
No, criticize the extremists (1% of the whole community?), not the other 99% of innocent people.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

eisBär wrote:

I agree with you that debate is needed on the subject because I don't think anyone can deny the problem of Islamic extremism but it has to be intelligent debate. Many people on this forum like to pluck the particularly negative stories about Islam out of the ocean of news and deny all the rest. I've said this before in other threads: I've never met a Muslim that I didn't get along with or that gave me the impression that they looked down on me and that is the reality of Muslims as they relate to me, I don't deny that the extremists are out there and are a major problem but it's just too easy to tar all Muslims with the one brush when that is just not fair.
eisBär
+22|6243|Germany

sergeriver wrote:

No, criticize the extremists (1% of the whole community?), not the other 99% of innocent people.
I think you're really missing my point. I never said anything about criticizing anybody.

Braddock wrote:

I agree with you that debate is needed on the subject because I don't think anyone can deny the problem of Islamic extremism but it has to be intelligent debate. Many people on this forum like to pluck the particularly negative stories about Islam out of the ocean of news and deny all the rest. I've said this before in other threads: I've never met a Muslim that I didn't get along with or that gave me the impression that they looked down on me and that is the reality of Muslims as they relate to me, I don't deny that the extremists are out there and are a major problem but it's just too easy to tar all Muslims with the one brush when that is just not fair.
Yes, to be clear I am not defending anything that has been said on this forum; just making a distinct, related point.

Last edited by eisBär (2007-05-05 05:32:40)

okashii
+34|6527|I'm form Poland and I hate it
Is hate towards my own country considered racism ? <even if it is justified due to so many flaws>

or does it count as expressing personal opinion or fact <for example: "Poland sucks">
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

eisBär wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

I think you're really missing my point. I never said anything about criticizing anybody.
You said: "people who object to any generalization are also part of the problem because they label anyone who would try to answer such a  question as a stereotyper at best, a bigot, a nazi or a racist."

So, if there is a guy making generalizations about Muslims, isn't he criticizing a whole community for the acts of a few?  I object generalizations, how am I part of the problem?
eisBär
+22|6243|Germany

sergeriver wrote:

eisBär wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

You said: "people who object to any generalization are also part of the problem because they label anyone who would try to answer such a  question as a stereotyper at best, a bigot, a nazi or a racist."

So, if there is a guy making generalizations about Muslims, isn't he criticizing a whole community for the acts of a few?  I object generalizations, how am I part of the problem?
Well, my point wasn't really directed at you specifically. There is a fine line between besmudging the entire community and trying to engage in serious discourse. To be more clear, I should have said "people who object to every generalization are also part of the problem because they label anyone who would try to answer such a  question as a stereotyper at best, a bigot, a nazi or a racist."

What if someone tried to have a serious discussion about XXX cleric in YYY town. Saying that such cleric's stance on Such-and-Such issue is "ZZZ" is to state a fact. Saying that all of his followers believe that is probably an unfounded generalization. Saying that all Muslims believe that certainly is. However, saying something like "many people from XXX cleric's sect act a certain way because of his stance on this issue" is observable, it is a generalization, but it is observable, and has its place in intellegent dialogue.

Last edited by eisBär (2007-05-05 05:43:03)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

sergeriver wrote:

eisBär wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

I agree Serge. Generalisations, though they may occasionally contain a grain or two of truth, are generally not helpful as they don't reflect the subtleties of a given situation and often exploit or exaggerate certain factors over others.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6683|West Yorkshire, U.K
im not black
[THE] comben
Wee and Biscuits
+43|6532|Cardiff
as much as i hate the fact that ill get torn to pieces for saying it i still think we just get rid of the dst tbh.  not that i mind peeps posting their opinions (altho tbh i stopped reading most of the rubbish posted there in ) but at the end of the day this is a site dedicated to a computer game.  i come hear to read about a computer game, imo its prolly for the best to goto a political debate site for debating politics. 

am i on my own on that one?

que lots of peeps quoting and writing 'yes' no doubt
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

[THE] comben wrote:

as much as i hate the fact that ill get torn to pieces for saying it i still think we just get rid of the dst tbh.  not that i mind peeps posting their opinions (altho tbh i stopped reading most of the rubbish posted there in ) but at the end of the day this is a site dedicated to a computer game.  i come hear to read about a computer game, imo its prolly for the best to goto a political debate site for debating politics. 

am i on my own on that one?

que lots of peeps quoting and writing 'yes' no doubt
Come on mate, it's in its own section, if someone doesn't want to discuss politics they don't have to go here. I prefer this forum because if I get bored of the politics I can mess around in the Junk drawer or Movies section without having to go to a different site.
[THE] comben
Wee and Biscuits
+43|6532|Cardiff
yer thats true tbh, i kinda knew that anyway.  just thought id put it out there is all

edit: also the fact that everyone replying is prolly into dst stuff anyway lol

Last edited by [THE] comben (2007-05-05 05:54:58)

Hunter/Jumper
+117|6353

usmarine2005 wrote:

Next time a Roman Catholic in 2007 stones someone for dating a Baptist, you can call me a racist.
It's still ok to mock Catholicism and trash Christianity that’s cool and very edgy stuff. Shows off your  intellect. So have at it kids.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

What are we?  Vigilantes?  I can't report a zillion posts.  Besides, haven't you noticed the huge amount of racist posts here?
Vigilantes...lol
No you are part of this community. With over 27k members Mods count everyones help. I see borderline offensive post nearly everyday and by no means are they limited to race. As I said before it is a fine line between free thought/expression and censorship. Usually it's just bad wording or the other members are quick to tackle the inconsiderate themselves. With a forum as popular as this one people are bound to have their toes stepped on. However, if you see racism call it out and we can deal with it. But throwing around "you are racist" every other post only encourages the real racist to put on their mask making it tougher to identify them.
Do you need this thread to be reported?  OMG, Muslims stoning a 17 year old girl for dating a Sunni. Shocker.  Some guy opens a thread about Muslims stoning a girl to death and they aren't even Muslims.  Islamophobia here is at it's best.
Or this one where some guy says Iraqis are not humans, then they don't have rights, lol.    I didn't throw "you are a racist" around.  Everyone knows who the racists are.  I'm not encouraging racists.  Your accusations are unjustified.
Things happen here you don't know about. For instance the poor wording someone used in the a post might have sparked someone to report it, the mod may have mentioned something to the author, and the author may have reconsidered his wording.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Vigilantes...lol
Things happen here you don't know about. For instance the poor wording someone used in the a post might have sparked someone to report it, the mod may have mentioned something to the author, and the author may have reconsidered his wording.
Good job then.
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6462|meh-land
in response to the threads higher up

1,000,000,000*.01 = 10,000,000

1% of a population being willing to do something that would severely affect another population can pretty much be considered part of its own group, or as a generalization for a whole is the remainder of the population does not stand out in any way

but generally when someone says muslims are terrorists, they are referring to the 1% that are terrorists, and you ar expected to draw that conclusion
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

Blehm98 wrote:

in response to the threads higher up

1,000,000,000*.01 = 10,000,000

1% of a population being willing to do something that would severely affect another population can pretty much be considered part of its own group, or as a generalization for a whole is the remainder of the population does not stand out in any way

but generally when someone says muslims are terrorists, they are referring to the 1% that are terrorists, and you ar expected to draw that conclusion
When people say 1% they mean a couple of hundred people. 1% is not a factual figure, it's people trying to show that there are hardly any of them.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard