WinterWayfarer
Combat Medic
+21|6405|Spacetime
AHEM...

WinterWayfarer wrote:

Osteoporosis is a disease of bone in which the bone mineral density is reduced.

Every human being on Earth today will eventually die.

I am a combat medic.

Star Trek episodes are becoming obsolete.

There is no one but myself that has posted using this account.

The issue of global warming is fallacious.

The German word "panzer" means "tank" in the English language.

The 1906 San Francisco earthquake happened around 5:12 A.M. (Pacific Time) on Wednesday, April 18, 1906.
Take your time. XD

Last edited by WinterWayfarer (2007-04-25 17:55:36)

mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6389|Uk

WinterWayfarer wrote:

AHEM...

WinterWayfarer wrote:

I am a combat medic.

Star Trek episodes are becoming obsolete.

The issue of global warming is fallacious.

The German word "panzer" means "tank" in the English language.

The 1906 San Francisco earthquake happened around 5:12 A.M. (Pacific Time) on Wednesday, April 18, 1906.
Take your time. XD
I'll take a few of these.

The panzer one:
It does not mean tank as in water tank...... itll do

Star Trek:
thats an opinion, also i thought they always were obsolete

Human Earth Death etc:
someone may be cryogenically (its a word hopefully) frozen for ever (that probably doesnt suffice for an answer, im very tired/already asleep)

Global warming:
again opinion

i cant be assed any more and today im not doing very well with these, ill do some more later maybe
WinterWayfarer
Combat Medic
+21|6405|Spacetime

mkxiii wrote:

I'll take a few of these.

The panzer one:
It does not mean tank as in water tank...... itll do

Star Trek:
thats an opinion, also i thought they always were obsolete

Human Earth Death etc:
someone may be cryogenically (its a word hopefully) frozen for ever (that probably doesnt suffice for an answer, im very tired/already asleep)

Global warming:
again opinion

i cant be assed any more and today im not doing very well with these, ill do some more later maybe
Ok the panzer one was good.

Ok the Star Trek one is an opinion

Edit* Your proof of saying cryonics (not cryogenics) being able to preserve somone is valid, well maybe, but I'm saying that they will eventually die after like a million years. Nice try though

Ok scratch global warming.

Alright the things left to prove still:

WinterWayfarer wrote:

I am a combat medic.

Last edited by WinterWayfarer (2007-04-26 16:25:36)

l41e
+677|6801

This statement can be proven wrong.
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6406|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
Relativity? Light? Sound? Smell? Hear? Taste? Touch?   Please try.
topal63
. . .
+533|6871

k30dxedle wrote:

This statement can be proven wrong.
Done before... from: http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 1#p1376031

ShawN_ wrote:

topal63 wrote:

ShawN_ wrote:

You will prove me wrong!
You are right... therefore you are wrong.

Think about it for a minute...
O_o cunning logics...

Meh.......
Guess I will have to get more technical then?

This is similar to the liar's proposition / contradiction. The statement is as follows: "Everything I say is a lie." Is this true or false (right or wrong)? How can this be TRUE if everything he says is FALSE? For it to be TRUE he cannot be a liar in every instance - ergo this is a lie (FALSE). And only suggests that this instance is a lie (FALSE). He could only say this instead to avoid a contradiction: "I almost always lie."

Now your statement also contains a subtle contradiction. If we don't prove you wrong - then you are wrong (we could just ignore your post, therefore you are wrong). But how can we prove you wrong by not proving you wrong (by avoidance)? It's a subtle contradiction. Also if we prove you wrong then you are right (as we have proved you wrong), which is a contradiction again by proving you wrong - instead of disproving you - we end up proving your statement (contradiction again). But that only indicates the statement is a contradiction and thus is a FALSE statement, inherent to all self-contradictory statements.

By being right - yet self-contradictory (inherently false) - you are wrong.

______

This is an OLD problem (from previous posts), that I think did not satisfy as an explanation of why it is not TRUE (or proved to be true). You know, Coobeano's TOK (theory of knowledge) problem is similar to the Celsius problem (WinterWayfarer), now that I think about it:
+1C=+1C, and X=X, the identity assumption. . . in reality outside our minds (outside the subjective creations in-mind) it cannot be proven to be true, and it can't ever really be demonstrated to be true in-mind; subjectively; either(!).

Coolbeano wrote:

topal63 wrote:

X can NEVER be EXACTLY equal to another similar X (in reality). X is not even EQUAL to itself, it cannot be exactly X (in reality, from one subjective time frame to another subjective time frame)
But what if the time frame is included in the claiming of X?

Example; this paper clip was at this point in space at this point in time (those two also being just simplified versions of purely arbitrary but absolute value) and the fact that it existed at that point will be eternally valid, and thus the fact, the concept, not the paper clips existence but the fact that it did exist there is equal to itself. Eternity does not change.
Time cannot be frozen and compared to itself; anywhere in reality. You're right back to where you were before - a 'gedanken' - it's a thought experiment; a fantasy of mind... it can be symbolic; but not real. There is no infinitely small time-frame either, a zero-point length moment in time.

Time does not exist... it is not a physical thing.
There is NO instant in time.
There is NO time particle.
It is a SUBJECTIVE creation of mind.

Relativity has lead (some) people to think, in error, that Time exists. BUT there IS NOT an instant in time; there is no subdivision of time you are moving through. The moment is ETERNAL, because time does not exist. Eternity is FLUX; change in the moment.

This is an accurate demonstration of why it is FALSE:

Coolbeano wrote:

X can be either X or not X.
FALSE... it is an abstraction; and they are only TRUE in mind; or on paper; BUT are never TRUE in reality. The only truth in existence is that all (so-called) truths are incomplete ( including this one ); and that they are most often generalizations by induction; or approximations in reality... fantasies of mind when an abstraction (or symbolic in form).

Fantasies are NOT true in the real world.

X is an attempt to represent something real (as a variable)... as an abstraction; to aid in theory our desire to predict physical behavior based upon what can be understood and represented in symbolic form.

X can NEVER be EXACTLY equal to another similar X (in reality). X is not even EQUAL to itself, it cannot be exactly X (in reality, from one subjective time frame to another subjective time frame); it can only be like (similar) to X (itself). There is no IDENTITY in reality. All energy is subject to change; even at absolute-zero. Change is constant; therefore constant is a NOT; IDENTITY as a truth is NOT; and even X is X or NOT X is a NOT.

WinterWayfarer wrote:

topal63 wrote:

Since this is a measurement and that is what your referring to: a measurement of temperature... it should be clear to you that all measurements are temporary and fleeting moments in time.

1 might = 1, inside your brain, but subjective reality cannot be demonstrated to be real; or reality. So you have to set aside mental analytic constructs that exist only in-mind to examine the reality of this statement.

Does 1 ever equal 1 in reality, and what does it even mean if I measure 1 of anything. In reality the measurement itself is subject to error. It might be 1.00001 or 0.999997 or some other number of measure the moment you take the reading so,

+1C might actually be = +1.00001C or +0.999997C or +1.00000000000075 or some other value.
And if you repeat the measurements just moments later it might be this,
+1C might actually be = +0.9979998C or +1.00000097C or +1.000000104535 or some other value.

And not at any time were we able to establish that +1C was exactly +1C, or what the actual exact value was. And measuring any exact value in reality is basically impossible.
The construct ---> this = this, exist only in your mind, in reference to analytic things (like a math equality).
In reality the measure is approximate or: ≈.  ...  Thus +1C DOES NOT EXACTLY = +1C
In reality it is incorrect to say what you've stated, it is correct to state it this way,
+1C ≈ +1C.
+1C = +1C.  +1C does not equal +1.000000001C (<-- EXACTLY! Yet you continue to misunderstand +1C is not known exactly, you don't know what the temperature is exactly when you measure it)

In saying that "this = this exists in only your mind", you are quite right, because everything exists within our thoughts, but there are rules to math, and one of these rules is called the Reflexive Postulate, in which any number is equal to itself. In symbols: a = a. Therefore, +1C = +1C.
I have already illustrated the error in thinking for you, why do you persist in denying the obvious (at least obvious to some people)?  ...  I was having fun with the Kantian thing in-itself problem (and errors of thought associated with it). Together with the problem people don't understand about subjective creations of mind vs the reality external of in-mind subjective creations.
+1C exist only in your mind, you cannot demonstrate the reality of an exact measurement - ever.
It is always an approximate value and never an exact measure. And it stands as was already stated.

+1C = +1C, exists only in-mind, as a subjective thought, as an analytic construct,
The TRUTH in reality is (that the measure is not exact):
+1C ≈ +1C (is not exact, it is an inexact approximation).

You cannot measure +1C exact. And reality is not what you think it is. It is not dependent upon you, you are dependent upon it.
... in reality, you can't PROVE that +1C when measured is anything other than an inexact answer. It can be precise to a certain decimal place, but not a representation of the exact value. And if you can't PROVE that it is +1C you can't say that it is, or assume that it is.
X=X, the identity assumption:
Here is another way to think about it, since your so sure math as a system is (completely) proved (with proofs) and contains no assumptions.

These problems [above] are similar (in assumptions) to the concept of tangents in geometry and limits in Calculus. They do not actually touch the geometric curve or the limit of the function. It is a point. A point is without dimension. There is no length of it that is congruent (touching) the zero-length dimensionless point, in fact it never touches. When we say a function approaches a value, we are reasonably demonstrating that there is specific value that it yields - yet it never actually can (in infinity). The regression is infinite in scope – but we assume (not prove) that it (the tangent) would touch here (if a zero-length line could) and that the limit is resolved in infinity. The assumption is the infinitesimal. Is there such a thing?

Is there such a thing as an infinitesimal difference? It seems an impossible thing, it seems there has to be resolution, if a difference is infinitesimally different – it effectively is not different – but I can't prove that. I can't prove it is different. I can't prove it is the same.

1 = 1, or X = X . . . is this a resolution of precision or an affirmed identity?

1 = 0.99999…..→ ∞  is this different than 1 = 1.
or
1X = X*0.99999…..→ ∞  is this different than X = X.

Strictly speaking YES they are different (yet I can't prove they are).
As a reasonably resolved value NO they are the same (yet not proved, it is assumed to be true).

1 = 0.99999…..→ ∞  is assumed to resolve, disregarding the infinitesimal as 1 = 1.
or
1X = X*0.99999…..→ ∞  is assumed to resolve, disregarding the infinitesimal as  X = X.

I can represent the identity problem as follows:
1 = 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3, thus 1=1.
1 = 0.33333…..→ ∞ + 0.33333…..→ ∞ + 0.33333…..→ ∞, thus 1=1.

But I cannot make a formal rational representation (a ratio) of the value 0.99999…..→ ∞. I can for 0.33333…..→ ∞ that = 1/3, but I can't make/construct a ratio for the decimal 0.99999…..→ ∞. A formal ratio for this irrational real number (as the ratio of two integers) cannot be expressed in mathematical terms.

There is no way to represent this decimal as a ratio in math so it is assumed to be 1 even though it is not proved to be true (and I cannot prove the opposite either).

The identity in TOK, and math, is an assumption of resolution and not a proved identity postulate. 

Then:
0.99999…..→ ∞ = 1, because 1 = 1, as an identity postulate is a subjective creation of mind, and the infinitesimal difference is a subjective creation of mind. None of it can be proved.

0.99999…..→ ∞ = 1 cannot be formally demonstrated to be different than 1 = 1. Yet it is.

Therefore:
1 = 1  OR  0.99999…..→ ∞ = 1. (But not 1=1 exclusively).

Note: This last part is for WinterWayfarer, only because I thought you might be interested in this - little bit of information (the identity assumption in math). Also every long post I post helps to make this one thread - one of the longest threads in BF2S history!

Last edited by topal63 (2007-04-27 11:51:52)

Giant_Squid500
+5|6825|U.S.A.
HAHA, what a waste of time. I don't think anyone read all of that.
namsdrawkcaB
Biggest n00blet around!
+35|6452
FFS u ppl r too smart
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6844|Devon, England

namsdrawkcaB wrote:

FFS u ppl r too smart
Take a page from their books...
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6806

namsdrawkcaB wrote:

FFS u ppl r too smart
https://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7973/tard1itby8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
WinterWayfarer
Combat Medic
+21|6405|Spacetime
Lol! I agree, but not quite. So basically x=x is just an assumption and nothing can really be proven to be "equal" to itself, including items and thoughts, but

--

What can be proven to be equal to itself?

--

If there is absolutely nothing that can be proven right, then how can we prove anything wrong in the first place?
(This is a statement )

--

What kind of "axioms" can we start out with in this thread?

--

Oh yes, and I brought this down here due to topal63's large post XD

WinterWayfarer wrote:

I am a combat medic.

You know I asked several people about the "0.9999999.... = 1?" problem and they replied with similar broad statements- "No, because the 0.999999999.... still needs to be added a fraction of infinity to it to be able to be equal to one.

In an equation format, the reply would be stated like this: "0.9999999.... = 1/∞"

Just fyi.

Infinity is such a weird number, as are pi and e. Lol

Last edited by WinterWayfarer (2007-04-27 16:36:26)

topal63
. . .
+533|6871

WinterWayfarer wrote:

In an equation format, the reply would be stated like this: "0.9999999.... = 1/∞"

Just fyi.

Infinity is such a weird number, as are pi and e. Lol
Infinity is not really a number - it is a concept.

So I am not sure what you meant with this ---> 0.9999999.... = 1/∞

Because we are talking about a concept here : infinity... so 1 over X, as in f(x)=1/x, as (x) approaches infinity (as x gets larger and larger f(x) gets smaller and smaller and the limit approaches zero), f(x) nears: 0 in value.

1/∞ = 0,or it seems to to = 0, but it doesn't really equal zero. There is that absurdity of the infinitesimal to deal with, the un-provability problem again, though it appears to equal zero.

And this would be true for any number less than infinity:

f(x)=10000000000000000000000000000000000/x, as (x) approaches infinity, f(x) approaches: 0 in value.

10000000000000000000000000000000000/∞ = 0, this also appears to eqaul zero.

Last edited by topal63 (2007-04-27 23:10:07)

WinterWayfarer
Combat Medic
+21|6405|Spacetime
But still the number 0.99999999... would still need that 1 added to the last digit to equal one. 0.99999999.... to infinity is just a bunch of 9's.

Last edited by WinterWayfarer (2007-04-28 09:19:07)

mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6389|Uk

WinterWayfarer wrote:

But still the number 0.99999999... would still need that 1 added to the last digit to equal one. 0.99999999.... to infinity is just a bunch of 9's.
i think the whole idea is that the gap between 0.99999 recurring is infinitely small, and therefore the difference is incomprehensible and so is discounted.  basically, think what the gap between 0.999999 recurring and 1 is, and if you can numerise (a word i made up, as in to convert it into digit form) it, than they are different, but if you cant, they are different
topal63
. . .
+533|6871

WinterWayfarer wrote:

There is not a last digit, though... really. It never stops repeating 9's (forever, for infinity) so that - you can never add 1 in some imaginary N-th place digit. That is why an infinitesimal difference is a fantasy of mind. The difference is smaller than what is possible to conceive of. That is why it resolves to the real number: the integer 1; even though it cannot be proved to be true. Any real difference cannot be proved to exist. Yet it cannot be proved either that it isn't different.

This can be applied to any number, as in the following:

1.95 = 1.95 or 1.95 = 1.9499999999...→∞ (the 9 series repeating forever).

2007 = 2007 or 2007 = 2006.9999999999...→∞ (the 9 series repeating forever).

25.7676 = 25.7676 or 25.7676 = 25.767599999999...→∞ (the 9 series repeating forever).

Etc.

X = X, or X = X*0.99999999...→∞ (But not X=X, exclusively).

X ≈ X, but to a reasonable resolution (disregarding the infinitesimal) for convenience we write X = X,
Because we cannot determine such a thing as an infinitesimal difference.

Thus X ≈ X, in mathematics is stated as X = X.
And in real-world applied mathematics X ≈ X, is unequivocally true in every instance because we cannot create instruments that are perfect (or perfectly calibrated), they are reasonably accurate to a level of precision (some N-th place in the decimal portion of the number). Also, the dynamics of the thing being measured is in a state of constant change. But still we write X = X, for sake of convenience.

Therefore X ≈ X but X might = X. It just cannot be proved that it doesn't actually equal something else (though the difference may be either: a measure of precision error, or the imaginary infinitesimal).

Note:
≈ : means approximately equal to.

Last edited by topal63 (2007-04-28 16:29:46)

WinterWayfarer
Combat Medic
+21|6405|Spacetime
Quite interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.99 Quite the mathematician eh topal? So let's get back on track here.

WinterWayfarer wrote:

What kind of "axioms" can we start out with in this thread?

--

If there is absolutely nothing that can be proven right, then how can we prove anything wrong in the first place?

I am a combat medic.

Last edited by WinterWayfarer (2007-04-28 17:20:49)

lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6748|Toronto-Canada
so?
what is the outcome?
WinterWayfarer
Combat Medic
+21|6405|Spacetime
What outcome?
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6792|Montreal, Qc, Canada
The name of this thread is : Claim anything, I'll prove it wrong
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6389|Uk

WinterWayfarer wrote:

how can you know, someone may have your p/u and posted under it, you will never know unless you check every post you have ever made, and even so, they may have deleted the post afterwards.

(I'll do one at a time when i think of an answer, they are some pretty annoyingly good statements)
Someone025
Cooler Member
+31|6666
u cant prove this wrong: My Battlefield 2 Player Identification Number is 60823082
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6622

Andoura wrote:

The name of this thread is : Claim anything, I'll prove it wrong
Proved wrong on last page I think...

WinterWayfarer wrote:

I am a combat medic.

Osteoporosis is a word.

Everything that isn't proved right, is wrong.

Back to cyrogenics(or w/e). So, if someone gets frozen now and finally after several million years when human race has invented some kind of way to achieve immortality then you will be wrong.

You are human being.

You haven't posted with that account, you have sent data to the server which has changed some 1's and 0's in it's database.

Hmm... Tricky. I'll think about it later have to go sleep now.

Someone025 wrote:

u cant prove this wrong: My Battlefield 2 Player Identification Number is 60823082
Actually 60823082 happens to be just random bunch of... You guessed it! Binary code.
And it is also the number of snails living in Finland.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
EVieira
+105|6631|Lutenblaag, Molvania

WinterWayfarer wrote:

Wrong, the San Fracisco earthqake happened in the year 5666. Check your Jewish calender...
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
WinterWayfarer
Combat Medic
+21|6405|Spacetime

NooBesT[FiN] wrote:

WinterWayfarer wrote:

I am a combat medic.

Osteoporosis is a word.

Everything that isn't proved right, is wrong.

Back to cyrogenics(or w/e). So, if someone gets frozen now and finally after several million years when human race has invented some kind of way to achieve immortality then you will be wrong.

You are human being.

You haven't posted with that account, you have sent data to the server which has changed some 1's and 0's in it's database.
I never really liked your proofs because of its crappy logic. Jk, but have you taken geometry before? Jk

--

* Osteoporosis is both a disease of bone in which the bone mineral density is reduced and a word.

"Everything that isn't proved right, is wrong." How can something just be wrong if it hasn't been proven right yet?

Immortality is fairy tales. No one can live forever physically, and isn't outer space going to start collapsing in on itself?

* Again, I am both a combat medic and a human being.

* And again, in saying what you said, "posted with that account" means exactly as "sent data to the server which has changed some 1's and 0's in it's database" and the meaning your attempting to convey here can be rewritten a bit.

And @EVieira:

* The 1906 San Francisco earthquake happened around 5:12 A.M. (Pacific Time) on Wednesday, April 18, 1906 and on whatever the Hebrew calendar says so that's still not proving me false.

* Synonymous statements

--

And let me rephrase my statement so it's not a question anymore:

"If there is absolutely nothing that can be proven right, then we can't prove anything wrong in the first place."

--

And i accept mkxiii's proof heh so:

WinterWayfarer wrote:

If there is absolutely nothing that can be proven right, then we can't prove anything wrong in the first place.

I am a combat medic.

Clever proofs must be written in order for me to eliminate a statement.
The_Jester
+52|6644|Italy
I'm posting just to test my signature.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard