Brasso
+1,549|6636

Timelord_, I'm assuming the upload has not finished yet?  The version on your website is ~800Mb, while the FilePlanet one is 1.2 Gb.

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Timelord_
+25|6543
Nope, the file is complete....  I see it listed correctly.
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6758
it stops at 47% then it get transferred to HD, any ideas?
jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6532|Singapore
ah screw this. all the servers gives me crap download speed....i'll wait for my country to host it......
']['error
Banned
+630|6650|The Netherlands

delta4bravo*nl* wrote:

it stops at 47% then it get transferred to HD, any ideas?
me to, it stops @ 47% from the brokencomputers.com
MURcarnage
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
+86|6664|San Francisco, CA
Soooooo. After playing the demo. I need to say it's nothing really groundbreaking..but more or less Generals on crack. But I only played a skirmish game because I had some Supreme Commandering to do (). But you still can't zoom out far enough and if anything it feels like  the farthest you can zoom out is LESS than you could in Generals. WTF? All the shit is as big as a boulder and infantry is as tiny as a pebble. CRAZY scale issues here.

Not to mention the mini-map is somewhat useless as it's hard to notice where you are (if you're using the wrong team color) because it'll blend so well with the background.

But you know, I still find myself wanting to play this game...odd...

https://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/767/767652/command-conquer-3-tiberium-wars-20070223064558987.jpg

I find that the HUD is still somewhat cluttered with over-sized and some useless fancy decorations that you don't really need. The left sidebar (with your special abilities) is just huge. When I took the NOD over, I had three freaking columns! Imagine how crazy it'll if they have an Unholy Alliance!

Another thing is that most of the abilities cost $$$ now, so in a way, no more freebies..but that usually isn't a problem since Tiberi(y)um seems to give a lot more money now.

The bottom sidebar seems a bit useless. As the first three icons are hotkeys that should be well known to a seasoned CnC'er. It's Attack, Attack-move, force move, and some other thing, then waypoint, and what i dub "super way point". Then you have your defense stances which are a little more valuable.

As for the lower right Unit status..oversized..picture thing. Eh. It could have been scaled down a lot. I don't need a picture as fat as my ego to tell me what it is. Smaller picture? Sure. The four empty slots are there for unit specific abilities, while the top four below the name/health bar are what upgrades it has, and how many of that unit are selected.

I like that they still have the RA2 style build menu, where things are divied up into categories. It's nice. As you should know, the building system is not like Generals, and a little bit more like CnC having a kid with StarCraft. As you can see there's two "aircraft" sub-tabs and basically you can build multiple things, just by "Tabbing". I assume there's no limit to how many Airpads you can build, but each seem to house only four air units. Of course this is different when building infantry/armor. You just queue them up like normal.

https://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/767/767652/command-conquer-3-tiberium-wars-20070223064534831.jpg

One thing I noticed, which is different, which is NICE. Is that when you put a build order on hold (for units) and then decide you want something else but don't want to cancel (yes, i hate wasting all that time), that unit you just clicked on will build instead while the other will stay on hold! Marvelous!

Another thing is that when building something, before you click on it. It'll show you cost, time to build, and how much energy it'll use (for buildings). Which is a nice little tidbit of info.

Smaller details:
-One engie to capture.
-It's pretty.
-They like distortions a lot.
-Tiberium has a health bar now.
-And it's late and I can't think of what else to type.
-Shows you your "build range" and can be expanded.
-Unit's sound an AWFUL lot like they came fresh from Generals for GDI
-Infantry also come in groups now instead of one at a time

So on a simple scale of school grading, 1 being an A, 5 being an F. I'd have to say, a 3.7 perhaps. It's nothing spectacular, but it is nice to see a CnC back in the Tiberium world. The game definitely has it ups like EA not killing the CnC franchise. The pretty graphics, plenty of units. A handful of strategy involved. But I would like to see the camera zoom be fixed. It's annoying have to scroll just a bit to get to just a few yards. Maybe fix the HUD's and scale them a bit so I can see the battlefield more. Make the camera controls a little easier to use so I don't have to use the num pad, small things like that.

Will I buy it on release? Probably. But we'll see what REAL reviews has to say.

Last edited by MURcarnage (2007-02-27 02:45:16)

Bernadictus
+1,055|6743

Goody, goody!

*Runs home and starts the download*
Brasso
+1,549|6636

Haven't really played much, but here are a few first thoughts:

- Graphics are optimized very nicely as I can play at a nice 1280x1024 resolution on High with my 7600GS. (I'll try cranking up the settings later.)
- A lot of the voicing for the human (idk what they're called) soldiers sound like they've come from Generals, and just been redone.
- The Ion Cannon completely blows apart everything.

Main Strong Point: It's really optimized nicely.  I was really impressed when my card could run the demo like this.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
TigerXtrm
Death by Indecency
+51|6374|Netherlands

My Review:

Yes yes yes, the demo has been released and damn was I looking forward to it . This game has been on the top of my gonna get list from late August and now it's here! Well, the demo anyway. Previews all looked very promising. But can the real experience of a C&C game really survive 8 years of technological updating and not be 'to modern' for it's kind?

I had a chance to play it and I have to say that it's pretty cool once again. Like every new game it has that certain element of 'Damn I need to get used to this' to it, but that will pass with time. The graphics are pretty cool, sounds are cool (a lot of them also taken from the original C&C, dunno if thats cool or cheap to be quite honest) but the music could have been better IMO. Don't really have the feeling it's part of a C&C game.

WARNING! GAMEPLAY SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

The game starts out with the latest trailer that has been released to the public and is meant as general advertisement to the public. The demo contains 1 tutorial mission, 1 campaign mission and 1 skirmish map.
The tutorial is pretty straightforward, move the camera, move units, build base, yadayada. Nothing wrong with it would it not be for the huge gaps of time you lose while the game tries to figure out whether or not you did your objective and then takes 5 minutes to provide you with the next one.
After the tutorial you start the single player campaign. Thumbs up for EA on this one because it looks to me like they made not only a mission for the demo, but also an entire cut scene. We'll see about that in the final version of the game though. You are briefed by a 3 star general about what Nod is up to after which you are sent into the field. This mission is still mainly tutorial on a larger scale. This also introduces the new principle of a log in which you can find information on units, structures and faction backgrounds. This feature was already kind off available in C&C Renegade and apparently they decided to keep it.
The remainder of the mission is rather easy. You get some Orca's and after bombing the crap out a few buildings with the biggest ease ever, your commander is afraid you won't be able to handle it (seriously, you'll laugh when you hear her) and give you control over the Ion Cannon, the GDI weapon we have all come to love. Before I used it I thought it would be a nice addition to my Orca's to whipe out all the base structures one by one, just like in all previous C&C games, including Generals. However, to my extreme surprise they either overpowered the Ion Cannon completely or just did so for the purpose of that mission but when I used it it caused such destruction and hell that it wiped out the entire Nod base from the face of the map in a single strike. And this was no small base, this thing took in at least 1/4 of the map and had at least 16 structures in it. I hope the Ion Cannon in the real game is not this powerfull because that would just be... lame... .

After the refreshing experience of kicking some Nod butt, we see what is likely the true intro of the game. Nod has overrun Norrad and ASAT, rendering America's anti missile deployments completely useless. Leaving the GDI space station The Philidelphia vulnarable to missle attack from Nod. The station is destroyed, killing most of the world's leaders in one big blow and starting the third tiberium war.

SPOILERS END HERE

From time to time two real life reporters (one from CNN and one from a Las Vegas news station) take care of the news reports involving the war. While the cutscenes I have seen could have been better in certain areas, music and acting wise, it sets a great mood for the game.

So far Command & Conquer 3 is nearly everything I had hoped it to be. EA managed to stay true to the original C&C concept while also putting in a lot of new features and ideas. It could very well be the first game EA bought over but didn't f*ck up. However, time will tell, since it is only a demo after all.

Tiger
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

My review is short. C&C3 is a passable attempt to revive the classic UI, while maintaining enough artistic license in design to make it unique. The only issues I've found, aside from easy-to-fix bugs, were jittery animations in infantry if armor moves through them. Though I don't regret my pre-order as much as other unnamed titles, I must say that I'm still more impressed with the technical functionality of Supreme Commander.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-02-27 04:47:45)

GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6420|Finland

GG EA, their cnc3 demo downloading link is not working! But anyways thanks to overleeched and seeded torrent file I'm getting this. Even tho not so fast because of so many leechers (wtf, why everyone has to use this torrent?) hmmpf....
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

Another thing I've noticed is that you have to click units to see their rank.
Timelord_
+25|6543
Hrmm, not sure what the issue was with the download, I just tested and downloaded the entire file without issue.

Just as a matter of interest, what speeds were you guys getting?  If there is enough interest, I will offer the server up as a mirror for other popular files.
bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6695|London, UK
All i have to say is i >3 TW

No lag may i say again no lag! everything on high wo0t.1
mattrsch
Yeah, that thing I said
+18|6640|Ames, IA
If you want to try to skirmish with NOD, hold N while clicking nod on the drop down menu.  Yay for bugs!
Thoruz
+42|6332|Germany

mattrsch wrote:

If you want to try to skirmish with NOD, hold N while clicking nod on the drop down menu.  Yay for bugs!
just wanted to post the same hehe
but my source says you need to hold ctrl and shift while holding n (didn't test it)
and if you press s you can take a look at the hud of the scrin but since they have no buildings you'll lose immediately

Last edited by Thoruz (2007-02-28 21:08:45)

mattrsch
Yeah, that thing I said
+18|6640|Ames, IA

Thoruz wrote:

mattrsch wrote:

just wanted to post the same hehe
but my source says you need to hold ctrl and shift while holding n (didn't test it)
and if you press s you can take a look at the hud of the scrin but since they have no buildings you'll lose immediately
That's true about the losing immediately, but the nod thing works for me just holding "n"
fierce
I love [fiSh]
+167|6574
You can even switch the style how your computer opponent plays in the same manner, like you were able to change the armies. Just press the first letter when you click on the characteristics. "t" for turtle, "r" for rusher and so on.

Last edited by fierce (2007-02-28 22:57:49)

BakaBakaNeko2
Sniper Kitten Wins !
+16|6300|Malaysia
Ion Cannon....remember the NOD base evac scene in the first C&C ?
jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6532|Singapore
the demo was not bad....but the voiceovers were horrible...i sometimes thought that i was playing C&C Generals....

and i really hate the camera zoom level....

Ion Cannon simply OWNS
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6778|PNW

jkohlc wrote:

the demo was not bad....but the voiceovers were horrible...i sometimes thought that i was playing C&C Generals....

and i really hate the camera zoom level....

Ion Cannon simply OWNS
They used the same voice-overs. And I really wished you could tilt your view (unless I haven't found the control yet).
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6581|London
I like it a lot, feels like a fusion of all the previous CnC games

Only problem is apc's only carry 1 engineer, wtf is up with that. CnC's have ALWAYS been about rushing your opponent with 1000000000000 engineers and capturing all his shit

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard