USCG Academy8%8% - 4
West Point42%42% - 20
US Military Academy4%4% - 2
Others I might have forgot12%12% - 6
Total: 47
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6732|California

No idea. I've only researched the AF academy, because im trying to apply for there. I don't think i could get into any of the others. Would anyone recommend one over the other?
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6505|Connecticut

usmarine2007 wrote:

nonexistentusmc wrote:

Up til this day, I still don't know where 4th BN hides.
Across from Burger King sort of.
I am pretty sure 2nd Bn is the closest to it, which is also the closest to the BK lounge, so yes.
Malloy must go
theit57
I am THE Frodo Baggins.
+124|6411|6 feet under

usmarine2007 wrote:

Parris Island. )

this one's better:

awesome movie

bad picture quality, sry guys

Last edited by theit57 (2007-02-26 17:09:23)

=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6513|Houston, TX

stryyker wrote:

No idea. I've only researched the AF academy, because im trying to apply for there. I don't think i could get into any of the others. Would anyone recommend one over the other?
How is it that you think you can only get into one of them?
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6652

stryyker wrote:

You could get recommendation's from people, I don't know who, but you can maybe. I would try the Naval Academy if you don't get accepted into the AF Academy. I myself want to go to the AF Academy and people tell me you need to do a lot of stuff to get in. So I'm trying my best in high school to get my grades up and not get in trouble at all. For the AF Academy they want good SAT scores, a high GPA from high school and a good moral character. I was talking to my buddy on teamspeak and he applied for the USCG college and didn't get accepted because his SAT scores weren't good enough.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6732|California

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

stryyker wrote:

I have no idea. I'm trying for the AF on the first. If I could get into West Point, I would, but I am not the greatest student of all time.
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6513|Houston, TX

stryyker wrote:

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

stryyker wrote:

I have no idea. I'm trying for the AF on the first. If I could get into West Point, I would, but I am not the greatest student of all time.
If you're not the greatest student, you might as well kiss it goodbye.  They want people with flawless academics, multiple extracurricular activities, community service, etc etc.  And you do realize that it's not as simple as just sending in an application, right?  You have to be nominated, and then appointed.  Good luck though!
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6727|US
USAFA is more academic than West Point. USNA is somewhere in the middle.  (USAFA is also the lesser the PT demands, or so it's said.)

Admissions for any of them is tough.  You need grades, test scores, athletics, clubs, leadership, and you need to get a congressional nomination, plus pass a physical and medical test.  To those who want to apply, GO FOR IT!  Just be sure to research and work hard.  You don't need to be perfect, just very good.

...and, of course, I voted USAFA!

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2007-02-26 18:08:21)

R0lyP0ly
+161|6666|USA
Annapolis, hands down. Go Navy, HOOYAH!
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6732|California

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

stryyker wrote:

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

If you're not the greatest student, you might as well kiss it goodbye.  They want people with flawless academics, multiple extracurricular activities, community service, etc etc.  And you do realize that it's not as simple as just sending in an application, right?  You have to be nominated, and then appointed.  Good luck though!
I meant not greatest, as in i can still pull off a 3.8 GPA at the end of high school. Not to mention the top 1% SAT scores for the whole school.

Meh, if it happens or not, doesnt really matter.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6719|67.222.138.85

stryyker wrote:

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

stryyker wrote:

I meant not greatest, as in i can still pull off a 3.8 GPA at the end of high school. Not to mention the top 1% SAT scores for the whole school.

Well that's one thing, if you don't want it you won't get it.

You are going to get into that school, do you hear me? Not only that, you're going to get a fucking scholarship maggot!
R0lyP0ly
+161|6666|USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

stryyker wrote:

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

You are going to get into that school, do you hear me? Not only that, you're going to get a fucking scholarship maggot!
don't want to rain on your parade, maniac, but appointment to any Military Academy means full scholarship. The only thing you "pay" for is 6 or so years in the branch whose academy you attended. Sorry, no tuition.

Don't hurt me
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6705
West Point, it's beautiful up there.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6732|California

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

stryyker wrote:

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

SIR YES SIR!
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6719|67.222.138.85

R0lyP0ly wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

stryyker wrote:

don't want to rain on your parade, maniac, but appointment to any Military Academy means full scholarship. The only thing you "pay" for is 6 or so years in the branch whose academy you attended. Sorry, no tuition.

Don't hurt me
They're going to pay for his 5-star hotel on premise and any "entertainment" necessary.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6714|Little Rock, Arkansas

stryyker wrote:

First off, if you can get into one, you can get into them all.

The question you need to ask yourself is, what do I want to do? Remember, the military wants to get the most out of their bucks possible. They WANT you to stay 25 years.

All three of the major service academies excel in engineering. If you want to do mechanical engineering, go to West Point. It's the most math oriented of the schools. That being said, one of my best friends in high school went there, and majored in engineering psychology. AKA, how do people interact with things. Or, as he called it, making the idiot-proof machine BEFORE God makes a better idiot.

Aerospace engineering and flying is the forte of the Air Force Academy. Nuclear engineering and sailing is the speciality of the Naval academy.

The weather in West Point sucks. Hot and humid in the summer, cold and overcast in the winter. Annapolis is in the ghetto, but close to civilization. The AFA is in the middle of nowhere, but their campus is freaking awesome, and they have their own on-site airport. And you can go skiing on weekend passes.

For me, I wanted to go to the AFA. I got in. Had the recommendation and the whole nine yards. THEN, the government tells me that my eyesight means I would never be flight elegible, and that corrective surgeries are grounds for seperation. That has since changed.

So, to make a long story short, I didn't go, and I am happy with my life.

Oh yeah, if you want to go into medicine, go to west point or annapolis. The odds are better than you get to go to med school.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6847|Kubra, Damn it!

blisteringsilence wrote:

stryyker wrote:

First off, if you can get into one, you can get into them all.

The question you need to ask yourself is, what do I want to do? Remember, the military wants to get the most out of their bucks possible. They WANT you to stay 25 years.

All three of the major service academies excel in engineering. If you want to do mechanical engineering, go to West Point. It's the most math oriented of the schools. That being said, one of my best friends in high school went there, and majored in engineering psychology. AKA, how do people interact with things. Or, as he called it, making the idiot-proof machine BEFORE God makes a better idiot.

Aerospace engineering and flying is the forte of the Air Force Academy. Nuclear engineering and sailing is the speciality of the Naval academy.

The weather in West Point sucks. Hot and humid in the summer, cold and overcast in the winter. Annapolis is in the ghetto, but close to civilization. The AFA is in the middle of nowhere, but their campus is freaking awesome, and they have their own on-site airport. And you can go skiing on weekend passes.

For me, I wanted to go to the AFA. I got in. Had the recommendation and the whole nine yards. THEN, the government tells me that my eyesight means I would never be flight elegible, and that corrective surgeries are grounds for seperation. That has since changed.

So, to make a long story short, I didn't go, and I am happy with my life.

Oh yeah, if you want to go into medicine, go to west point or annapolis. The odds are better than you get to go to med school.
Finally someone who actually seems to know something about the schools, not just "i like this school cuz it has teh pretty trees".
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6656
fuck academies.  Infantry Training Brigade, Fort Benning Georgia.  and tell me if im mistaken but, West Point and the United States Military Academy are one and the same.   hows your dad reaper? did he redeploy?
blisteringsilence

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

fuck academies.  Infantry Training Brigade, Fort Benning Georgia.  and tell me if im mistaken but, West Point and the United States Military Academy are one and the same.   hows your dad reaper? did he redeploy?
For crying out loud guys. The kid wants to go to college on the governmnent's nickle. The service academies are excellent colleges, they develop great officers and citizens, and are good for getting a job later in life. Be nice.

Just because you think your experiences were better does not necessarily mean that they would be so for all people. This may come as a shocker, but we do actually NEED pilots for the air force. We NEED officers to sail our ships. Otherwise, you street-wise ground pounders will never get to the battlefield.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6379|Columbus, Ohio

blisteringsilence wrote:

Otherwise, you street-wise ground pounders will never get to the battlefield.
I see your point.  I must point out that all my combat movements have been on commercial charters.

But, I know you can see my point.  I would rather the requirement be you spend 3 or 4 years enlisted before you can go to an academy.

Last edited by usmarine2007 (2007-02-27 09:50:34)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6656

usmarine2007 wrote:

But, I know you can see my point.  I would rather the requirement be you spend 3 or 4 years enlisted before you can go to an academy.
that is a great idea.  all the best officers i ever had as commands were prior service enlisted.  all the west point geeks were just that, geeks.  nice dudes for the most part but nobody has respect for an LT, at least not a butter bar.  whats the difference between a 2LT and an E-4.  the e-4 has been promoted 3 times more

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-02-27 10:04:40)

usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6379|Columbus, Ohio

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

all the best officers i ever had as commands were prior service enlisted.
Bingo.  Same here.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6652

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

No he didn't redeploy, he's home for good now and has a non-deployable job. He trains pilots, right now he is in kentucky training some pilots for combat.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6538|Milkystania, yurop
USCG ftw
blisteringsilence

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

that is a great idea.  all the best officers i ever had as commands were prior service enlisted.  all the west point geeks were just that, geeks.  nice dudes for the most part but nobody has respect for an LT, at least not a butter bar.  whats the difference between a 2LT and an E-4.  the e-4 has been promoted 3 times more
While I can see the logic of your point, there are a few problems. If you have to serve 3 or 4 years, you are creating a system where the youngest officers are 25 and 26 years old. That means that the youngest colonels are 46 and 47 years old, and almost at mandatory retirement. Considering that the physical peak of men is at about 23, this means that your officers will not be able to keep up with the enlisted ranks. Do you really want 30 year old LT's?

I wonder perhaps if the reason that your prior service officers were so highly respected was because they sympathized with the enlisted ranks? As usmarine can tell you, the military finds sympathy in the dictionary right between shit and syphallis. There's a reason the armed forces are so serious about officers keeping distance between officers and enlisted. Not to put too fine a point on it, but an officer's job is to send men into situations where they very well could die. You are less likely to send men you like into said situation.

Not to mention, the service academies are colleges. And its hard as shit to quit school for 3 or 4 years, and then jump right back into it. Especially schools so focused on engineering. You really don't want to take 4 years off and then jump back into cal 2.

Which brings to mention, how many of the officers you are speaking about are service academy grads vs. OCS grads?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard