Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6640|Washington, DC

Alright folks, I took the plunge yesterday (Sunday) and upgraded to Vista Home Premium. I love it. But let tell you about it first.

The Version: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
The Computer:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
nVidia GeForce 6800GS
2GB G.Skill DDR3200 RAM
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer

Installation
Installation was pretty nice. Only gripes were that when I put the DVD in while running XP, it said it couldn't boot from XP and I had to boot off the CD. No big deal, just a bit strange that it didn't work off the bat. Then, the thing took ages to read the DVD for some reason and start the install process. Once it got going, it took about 30 minutes to install. Despite being at 800x600 or something, the installation was also much more visually pleasing than XP's.
Rating: 8/10

The First Steps
So I log on to Windows Vista. For the first time. It seems a bit slow, but that was probably the start up blues. The sidebar with the gadgets is quite nice. What impressed me the most was that it had drivers pre-installed for BOTH my printer and my network card! No need for D-Link's extra processes, I was connected to XNet (My network... I thought the name up in 6th grade and I've used it for all my networks since then) in a minute (I forgot to input the password the first time). The printer installed seamlessly. Very nice Microsoft, see Apple isn't all that evil . There are a few problems though:

-The User Account Control is a fucking pain in the ass. Unless you're a 10 year old or a 50 year old, you DO NOT NEED THIS GOD DAMNED THING. Let me save you the pains and show you how to turn it off:

https://img354.imageshack.us/img354/4033/useraccountcontrolvy2.png

-The Welcome Center is a bit annoying, and it doesn't give you a very nice intro of how to navigate through Vista. You should probably untick the "Show Welcome Center at Startup" on the bottom of it.

Drivers
I was lucky enough to get compatible drivers for all of my stuff: Chipset, graphics card, sound card. They work fine so far.
Rating: 10/10

Easy Usage Performance
Despite all the naysaying, Vista's performance isn't that bad. With XFire, Firefox, Trillian, and iTunes open Vista uses only about 45%. It's not terrible. Turning off FF and iTunes and Trillian would bring it down a bit, and it should run games fine.
Rating: 9/10

Games Performance
I have not played any games yet, but I will today

Included Software
The sidebar has some nice things. The weather widget is nice. The new edition of Paint is cool too. The standard games such as Minesweeper, Solitaire, etc have all gotten some nice make overs. It could've included Office Home and Student considering the price, but I'll do fine with the trial edition I have until I find a way to get it for cheaper. I haven't played with Media Center yet, as I use iTunes for music. It does seem pretty sleek though.
Rating: 9/10

Software Support
All the software I've used so far works almost perfectly. XFire has this annoying habit where it resets the size of the windows, and it doesn't start up in the place where I left it. I hope they fix that soon. And of course, iTunes, Trillian, and XFire could be programmed in 64-bit but as long as they work I'm not complaining.
Rating: 9/10, hopefully they'll make more Vista and 64-bit native things soon.

Game Performance
Erm, wow. Where should I start? BF2 is incredibly laggy, running on lower settings than what I used on XP! I have not bothered trying 2142, I'm not going to be surprised if it is also laggy. CS:S performed pretty well. I'm going to try Company of Heroes later this week, since it's Games for Windows certified. Whether this is caused by crappy drivers or simply bad compatibility remains to be seen, but hopefully it's the drivers.
Rating: 6/10

Overall
I'm impressed. People acted like this was the end of the world, that Vista was Satan's own doing, and that George Bush collaborated with Microsoft in the development of Vista. WRONG! It's a great OS so far. Sure there are kinks here and there that might need to be worked out, and software developers need to get Vista and 64-bit native things out soon. If you can get your drivers for hardware, it's fine. Vista comes with lots of drivers pre-installed, but I'd download the latest compatible version just in case. You really only need chipset, graphics, and sound card drivers. For all the doomsaying that people gave it, I'm impressed. HOWEVER, games that are not certified for Vista will probably be laggy until drivers are better coded drivers are released.

Final Verdict
As I said, if you can get drivers for your hardware, I say go for it. It's a beautiful OS, nice functionality, lots of drivers right out of the box. Sure it could come with free Office 2007, but oh well. Games are a bitch right now, but if you don't mind playing Half Life 2 then it's not too bad.

Screenshots
I'll satiate you all with some screenies of it (Note: chances are that Imageshack will resize a lot of the images):

Xfire opened, desktop and sidebar shot:
https://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2008/screen1hd7.png

Live window preview:
https://img150.imageshack.us/img150/408/screen2mj1.png

Flip 3D:
https://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7599/screen3dp7.png

IE7 and Firefox side-by-side, not maximized to show off Glass effect (Click for full-size):
https://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6880/screen4gq4.th.png

Firefox maximized, with IE7 skin (I like IE7's look, but not its overall layout and function. No bookmarks bar??), click for full size:
https://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3339/screen5mp9.th.png

New Aero shell:
https://img389.imageshack.us/img389/627/screen6ec5.png

New Picture Viewer, with some basic editing options including cropping. Featuring my dog:
https://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9339/screenet2.th.png

Last edited by Hurricane (2007-02-26 17:18:01)

MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6380|Pittsburgh, PA USA
well.....it does look nice.
Thanks for actually taking the time to write a full review +1 for sure.
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6453|California
what is that sidebar thing on the side with your BF2 and BF2142 rank???
Hurricane
Banned

RandomSchl wrote:

Vista Gadgets, essentially like Konfabulator or Dashboard. Pretty cool stuff.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6716|67.222.138.85

RandomSchl wrote:

Very nice!
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6453|California
no i mean how do u get that to appear on the sidebar, as i also have vista.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6760|Chicago.
A very nice little review Hurricane. Well done.
Madhadda1
+270|6554|Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hurricane wrote:

RandomSchl wrote:

Vista Gadgets, essentially like Konfabulator or Dashboard. Pretty cool stuff.
great job man btw where could i get the bf2 ranking gadget it looks realy cool
The#1Spot
+105|6549|byah
There needs to be a gaming version of vista os. All of the flashy stuff is driving me crazy. Can you turn it all off?
Hurricane
Banned

-REVIEW UPDATED, RATHER DISAPPOINTING GAMING RESULTS =/ Still an otherwise nice OS-

The#1Spot wrote:

There needs to be a gaming version of vista os. All of the flashy stuff is driving me crazy. Can you turn it all off?
I haven't bothered but chances are you can. Let me check....

You can change themes, you can make it the Classic version of Windows (Win 2k) if you want. You can turn off the Sidebar/Gadgets too.

edit: Madhadda, look up on http://gallery.live.com in Fun and Games for the BF2 thing.

Last edited by Hurricane (2007-02-26 17:20:45)

Ryan
+1,230|6852|Alberta, Canada

Great review. Liking the screenies.
Madhadda1

Hurricane wrote:

-REVIEW UPDATED, RATHER DISAPPOINTING GAMING RESULTS =/ Still an otherwise nice OS-

The#1Spot wrote:

You can change themes, you can make it the Classic version of Windows (Win 2k) if you want. You can turn off the Sidebar/Gadgets too.

edit: Madhadda, look up on http://gallery.live.com in Fun and Games for the BF2 thing.
sorry to hear about the gaming.. another gig of ram fixed that right up for me
The#1Spot
+105|6549|byah

Hurricane wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

ok great cause i do not want to have to buy another gig just to play games the same performance that xp sp2 did
Madhadda1

The#1Spot wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

ok great cause i do not want to have to buy another gig just to play games the same performance that xp sp2 did
depends on your computer... i only had 1 gig of ram until i got another so your gaming could be fine..
Hurricane
Banned

Madhadda1 wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

How many gigs do you have now? I've got 2GB. I think it's my shit processor.

To whomever was asking about the sidebar:

Open Help and Support, and search for "Sidebar". Click the topic "Frequently Asked Questions", and then hit the "How do I Open Sidebar" link. Then hit "Open sidebar". After that, in your system tray (next to the clock), there's a thing that looks like a window and then 3 small squares. Right click that, hit Properties, and you can set it to start up with Windows.
Madhadda1

Hurricane wrote:

Madhadda1 wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

How many gigs do you have now? I've got 2GB. I think it's my shit processor.

To whomever was asking about the sidebar:

Open Help and Support, and search for "Sidebar". Click the topic "Frequently Asked Questions", and then hit the "How do I Open Sidebar" link. Then hit "Open sidebar". After that, in your system tray (next to the clock), there's a thing that looks like a window and then 3 small squares. Right click that, hit Properties, and you can set it to start up with Windows.
i only had 1 gig before hand. what kind of system rating did you get for everything? ( go to computer then near to the top click on system properties, it should rate your system overall and right next to it should be a link to ratings on your ram, motherboard ect.)
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6710|MoVal So-Cal
I dont think I'll have to worry about performance. I've got 1.5gb DDR2 ram, 8800GTS (da 640mb one) and 2.4ghz dual core
Hurricane
Banned

System: 4.0
Processor: 4.0
RAM: 4.1
Graphics: 5.9 and 5.4
HDD: 5.7

Processor and RAM are bottlenecks I guess.
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6850
The main reason why I don't think vista lives up to its full potential is that it slows down your computer unless you have a dx10 card that cost 300-500 some dollars.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477
Pretty cool. I think I may want to try and get vista then. Like you said get it if your PC is capable, and mine is a very fast machine.
Madhadda1

Hurricane wrote:

System: 4.0
Processor: 4.0
RAM: 4.1
Graphics: 5.9 and 5.4
HDD: 5.7

Processor and RAM are bottlenecks I guess.
ya, your system rating is 4.0 to my 4.3 everything else looks good though. oh and you will find defragmenting takes age's

edit: to clear things up everything is a lot more fast (and i love it) the only down side is the o/s takes more to run so major programs (games) will be slowed down, it did in my case but was fixed by another gig of ram

Last edited by Madhadda1 (2007-02-26 18:02:31)

Hurricane
Banned

Oh for fuck's sake, did imageshack switch to AOL for their host?
devildogfo
+32|6332|Camp Lejeune
So ive been having very intermittent performance with Vista. (I have vista home, pent D 3.37GHz (OC'd), 1GB pc2-5400, 7800GT(256mb i think?) 7200rpm SATA WD HD). Everyday use, its superb. I had serious problems trying to install Proj Reality, in fact I couldnt get it to install. I think my install might have been damaged so Im going to redownload it tomorrow and give it another try. Loading BF2 took foreeever (starting the application that is), and when I tried to join a game (and waited 15-20 minutes for freaking shaders) I got kicked by punkbuster because I didnt have the right O/S privledges or something. Yeah, O/S not OS. Tried a different server and it said I had to have PB enabled even though I do. Im wondering if Vista firewall is causing problems? Boy this sure will suck if I cant play BF2, i dont really play other games.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6636|UK
Nice post! Very informative!

Just a thought: Why don't you try running BF2 in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2?
Hurricane
Banned

liquidat0r wrote:

Nice post! Very informative!

Just a thought: Why don't you try running BF2 in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2?
I am, it's either BF2 that sucks, the drivers that suck, or my hardware sucks.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard