Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6554|Brisbane, Aus

stock medic guns or G63E for me. i can never use the L85A1 properly

besides ak101 is teh l33t at reloading
ZeRoLiFe
+7|6430|Maryland
let me clear it up for you all... unlocks are for pussies, plain and simple.. you learn no skill with unlocks.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85
First of all, it's sense.

The L85 has the longest learning curve in the game, hence you don't see it around very much. It is excellent long to mid range, but its weak point is up close. Where's DivineMomentofTruth when you need him?
XRogerMellieX
+8|6326

ZeRoLiFe wrote:

let me clear it up for you all... unlocks are for pussies, plain and simple.. you learn no skill with unlocks.
Surely you're not being serious?

You've got 466 hours in total with bugger all in vehicles, hence you're mostly infantry. Do you think your outcomes are resultant only of your talent?

What's your favourite weapon?
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6706|Charlie One Alpha

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

First of all, it's sense.

The L85 has the longest learning curve in the game, hence you don't see it around very much. It is excellent long to mid range, but its weak point is up close. Where's DivineMomentofTruth when you need him?
The l85a1 is a mixed bag. It FEELS accurate, but somehow it isn't. This one time, I think it was on Dragon Valley, I was shooting at another flag far away with that gun. I was pointing it straight at an enemy, but I wasn't getting a hit indicator. So I was like, where the fuck are my bullets going? ( I was using it on single shot) Then I noticed these puffs of smoke around the edge of my scope. Those turned out to be my shots. On very long range, this gun stinks. It's good on medium/long range where you can just zoom in on somebody's head and give him a good headshot. It's actually okay on extremely close range as well, as the wild spread will always make you hit SOMETHING. On short/medium you will get owned by AK101's and G36e's. Medium/long is the only range at which this gun is really effective, but the range can't be too far either. It has a very specific range of ranges

Last edited by LaidBackNinja (2007-02-21 05:30:27)

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6650|pimelteror.de

[Hive]-Twist wrote:

Pros dont use unlocks
pros donĀ“t call themselves pros
falafel
+5|6327
i used to use it before, it's cool for its sniping abilities but it lacks on damage and CQC, i use M16 and kalashnikovs more now
RiceKrispie
+27|6385|Ottawa, ON
There's a pretty big speed bump on the L85 learning curve. Once you break past it, it can be a dangerous weapon. I still go AK/M16 over it every round though. The M16 is much more controllable on single-shot and the AK is a fucking beast.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6624|Warlord
Anyone want to see how bad the deviation on this thing is, on full auto, check out the second-last scene in my vid, All Out Of Bubblegum.

/plugs video

On single shot it's much better. But you need to know how to use it; if you shoot too quickly the recoil modifier starts to factor in and as well as that you need to know the aim point on that post (it's off-centre). People who are good at aiming and practiced with it can regularly get headshots with this at medium ranges, that's proof enough that it can be good. I posted some numbers on this before, L85A1 v. AK-101, worth having a look:

L85A1
base deviation 0.3
dev. s/c/p 1.5/1.3/1.2
deviation added per shot 0.3 (2.5)
dev. zoom 0.8
recoil 0.3-0.5
rec. zoom 0.6

AK-101
base deviation 0.45
dev. s/c/p 1.3/1.2/1
deviation added per shot 0.2 (2)
dev. zoom 0.8
recoil 0.4-0.6
rec. zoom 0.8

[ (base deviation * stance modifier) + added shot ] * zoom modifier + [ recoil * recoil zoom modifier ]

Standing, one shot, not zoomed
L85A1 [ (0.3 * 1.5) + (0) ] * (1) + [0 * 1] = 0.45 deviation
AK-101 [ (0.45 * 1.3) + (0) ] * (1) + [0 * 1] = 0.585 Deviation

Standing, two shots, not zoomed
L85A1 [ (0.3 * 1.5) + (0.3) ] * (1) + [0.3 * 1] = 1.05 deviation on second shot (minimum)
AK-101 [ (0.45 * 1.3) + (0.4) ] * (1) + [0.4 * 1] = 1.385 deviation on second shot (minimum)

Prone, one shot, zoomed
L85A1 [ (0.3 * 1.2) + (0) ] * (0.8) + [0 * 0.8] = 0.288 deviation
AK-101 [ (0.45 * 1.0) + (0) ] * (0.8) + [0 * 0.8] = 0.36 deviation

Prone, two shots, zoomed
L85A1 [ (0.3 * 1.2) + (0.3) ] * (0.8) + [0.3 * 0.6] = 0.708 deviation on second shot (minimum)
AK-101 [ (0.45 * 1.0) + (0.2) ] * (0.8) + [0.4 * 0.8] = 0.84 deviation on second shot (minimum)

I haven't re-checked these numbers but I think this is all correct.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6342|Twyford, UK
The L85 doesen't suck, you do. Engage infantry at medium range, crouch, put 3 short bursts into the target's body on auto, and they will drop. You can safely outrange most of their guns with the scope, so you'll be suffering minimal damage that you can heal up anyway.
Up close, resort to longer bursts. Full auto gets innacurate fast, but you reset the deviation if you stop firing. This will give you the edge in a panic-fire combat.

Not sure about single shots, but I just don't believe in them except when annoying choppers or precision work with the G3.

Importantly, just stay at range, crouch before firing, and use bursts.
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6419|San Antonio, TX
I love the L85, it got me by BR over 100 on Mass Destruction.  I keep it on either single shot for LR, or just use short bursts for SR/CQC.  I didn't like the site at first, but you just put the tip of the site at the chin and it's over.  It's not a good weapon against someon that knows how to use the DAO or Jackhammer evectively though..
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6563|England

I.M.I Militant wrote:

ok guys the l85a1 is a piece of crap let me clear that up with you fellas

the only time iv ever found a use for it was extreme close range combat like the warlord palace etc

You may think its accurete  BUT CUT THE SHIT its not A SCOPE WILL GIVE YOU THAT FALSE SENCE EVEN ON SINGLE SHOT and PRONED it has absolutely no accuracy
Funny, it works every time for me. It was my first unlock, and has worked even better for me as my time has gone on. Long, medium and short range, it tears shit up. And best of all, you can engage snipers at "sniper range".
Out of my 150hours of medic, I would say that about 130 has been with the L85. The thing fucking rocks.

At the end of the day, like all of these "this weapon is better than that" topics - it depends on the user. End of story.
Chillin&killin
+27|6672|Manchester,England
whats all this 101 is the best business. some ppl should come off mec(irony,altough i play more china) maps now maps and play china....the 47 is where its at.

or you are forgetting a gun....the FAMAS
Dragonclaw
+186|6302|Florida

[Hive]-Twist wrote:

Vub wrote:

I will have to disagree with you in part, on some days it works fine, but if your ping is way up there or your game is laggy, then forget about hitting anything. It's extremely dangerous in the hands of a pro, and I've seen plenty of times where one person with the L85 could decimate an entire squad of G36E medics (maybe the skills of the respective players aren't comparable, but hey you get the idea).

I like how you can pick guys off in the distance who can't see who's shooting them.
Pros dont use unlocks
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6624|Canada

some_random_panda wrote:

Well, it's better than the Type 88.
bull shit. the 88 pwns
DivineMomentofTruth
+88|6439
lmao this thread doesn't warrant a response besides this:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=47692&p=1

best skill assault rifle in the game. period. elitist cal/twl players stfu. You never have experienced nor will you ever the mass destruction this gun can wreak on a full 64 player IO server.

Last edited by DivineMomentofTruth (2007-02-21 12:59:39)

Archer
rapes face
+161|6421|Canuckistan

I.M.I Militant wrote:

the only time iv ever found a use for it was extreme close range combat like the warlord palace etc

You may think its accurete  BUT CUT THE SHIT its not A SCOPE WILL GIVE YOU THAT FALSE SENCE EVEN ON SINGLE SHOT and PRONED it has absolutely no accuracy
gtfo plz

If you think it sucks, why do you seem to get owned by them?

Get skills, seriously.

Last edited by Archer (2007-02-21 13:01:05)

genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6675|Middle of nowhere
on full auto, this gun sucks fat donkey balls

so i dont' use it, i'm not a "single shot" kind of guy

SPRAY AND PRAY BITCHES!
DivineMomentofTruth
+88|6439
those people that think it should only be used on single or that say it sucks on full auto just plain haven't learned to use it yet. It should only be used in full auto with a few exceptions of extreme ranges.
MorbiD.ShoT
Stormin' through the party
+322|6593

I.M.I Militant wrote:

Periods, long breaths, breathing in general and the 'Spell Check' are your friends.

Last edited by MorbiD.ShoT (2007-02-21 13:34:34)

Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6642|Ohio
i find its accurate enough if you do bursts, but i dont like to use single, just incase i get suprised by someone and have to spray them to death. and i try not to zoom in either.
Simon
basically
+838|6655|UK

Archer wrote:

I.M.I Militant wrote:

gtfo plz

If you think it sucks, why do you seem to get owned by them?

Get skills, seriously.
Yup, you do look pro.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6467|New York

ZeRoLiFe wrote:

Oh dear god, another unlock whiner.  I need to gather all of these idiots and throw them off a bridge, seriously. 

I learn no skill?  What?  I can, however, tell you something I just learned:  You're an idiot.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6582|Seattle
I love the L85. At close range is sprays the instant headshot like an AK. And at long range, the scope makes it easy to place shots as perfectly as you could ask for in BF2. The fun caveat is that the accuracy is shit after about 5 consecutive shots at long range unless you are taking breaks from shooting with cover. The L85 has some of the greatest potential among BF2 weapons but is unforgiving if you ignore its recoil and attempt to just point and click at things. I still think the M16 and AKs are as fun or more, but the L85 has a cool niche.
Rosebudteg
+6|6392|Washington State
It's easier to use at a distance than the AK-101 for us n00bies. 

I'm sure I've gotten a few of you that were parachuting in as SAS in the Warlord level with the L85A1.  Sorry about that.  Just defending my flags.

But there is a place for the L85A1.  I've found it is tolerable at closer ranges in single fire only.  At full auto, it's a waste of bullets, IMO.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard