Axatar
+29|6608|France

Once a guy wrote:

When you play with keyboard/mouse you want a joystick, and when you play with joystick you want to go back to keyboard/mouse

Last edited by Axatar (2007-01-21 11:34:31)

oChaos.Haze
+90|6584
Anything about Sarge aside....
You really can tell when someone has a joystick.  Their plane just turns so fluidly.  If you fly a lot in the different views, then you can really tell.  Since I usually dogfight ppl I know on Airshow and such, I have just learned that my friends who have joys (and KNOW how to use them), are MUCH harder to shake once they are on your ass.  The damn plane just turns almost any direction without hesitation. 

But I will add, joystick OR m and kb, if the person knows tactics and evasion, they are gonna be a bitch to shake or kill.
HaVoK-RooKiE
+27|6795|United Kingdom
Get the joystick but get one with x radius like someone said above, i had one allmost identiacle to the one you showed us and found that you couldnt make macrols on it like my new one, http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/cyborg_evo_force.htm
its a bit more costly but what you can make your joystick do will amaze you, example- for in bomber you can make it switch directly to passenger seat and into laserguided mode automatically with a touch of a button, spot things (real good for dod fighting) switch camera views and of corse power up and down and flares along with swaping weapons and dropping them..  or if your one of those guys who like to be able to eject with out reaching over to your keyboard you could put it on it also.

Last edited by HaVoK-RooKiE (2007-01-21 12:09:50)

G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6772|Sea to globally-cooled sea
hey listen

i use a joystick.  it's absolutely positively can't stress enough necessary for flying chopper effectively.

for Jets, maybe mouse is better, i don't know, but the joystick is sure as hell a lot of pure hearty FUN.    i love using my joystick.  I'm not good in a jet, but it's just so fun!!

use your call.

I have the Logitech 3D extreme pro.  do NOT get feedback.  it's cool for the first day, and then it sucks because it effects your gameplay.  save a buck and get regular.

my 2 cents.    G3|Genius
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6768|Gold coast, Aus.
http://www.bf2s.com/player/46030037/

He uses mouse and keyboard. its not vital.

If you can't fly with mouse and keyboard, dont expect to be a pro all of a sudden when you get a joystick.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6709|British Columbia, Canada
Arg, don't get a logitech Joystick, speaking from experience, it wont last more then 6 months.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6538|Southern California

LT.Victim wrote:

Arg, don't get a logitech Joystick, speaking from experience, it wont last more then 6 months.
X2 (from another disgruntled logitec customer)

IMO it seems Saitek would be a better brand choice, Ive never owned anything from them, but they are much more serious about making joysticks.
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6783|Wigan. Manchester. England.
Ive got the same joystick, its good if u can use them. I cant use them for shit! But my brother is amazing with it in a chopper and a jet.

So it is really down to personal preference.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6692
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Never had a problem, had it forever, still works perfect. I don't see why anyone would want to fly with a mouse when the joystick is definitely superior and you have pinpoint accuracy with it if you practice enough. Mouse just doesn't compare to joystick.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
ZekersSneakers
+8|6651
Mouse/Keyboard are alright, you can get good with them no doubt, if you can beat most people that use joysticks then chances are you're just better than them...

But the cold hard truth is, joystick > mouse in precision aiming and control, no matter what you say.

Joystick > mouse.

Player > control input.
CloakedStarship
+76|6712

G3|Genius wrote:

hey listen

i use a joystick.  it's absolutely positively can't stress enough necessary for flying chopper effectively.

for Jets, maybe mouse is better, i don't know, but the joystick is sure as hell a lot of pure hearty FUN.    i love using my joystick.  I'm not good in a jet, but it's just so fun!!

use your call.

I have the Logitech 3D extreme pro.  do NOT get feedback.  it's cool for the first day, and then it sucks because it effects your gameplay.  save a buck and get regular.

my 2 cents.    G3|Genius
Dude you got it all backwards.  I agree on the 3D extreme pro, i own it myself.. but good lord man the joystick is for the jet, not the chopper.  I eat helicopters for breakfast with my joystick, no missiles, just bullets.  And dogfighting, having that throttle and the z axis makes it much easier.  Unless you have the sensitivity options of the G5 i don't see how you could do anything decently with a mouse in the jet.
Djbrown
+129|6643|Adelaide, Aussieland
Basically, the joystick does to flying what the wii-remote does to sport games

also ive tried using joystick for heli but i cant get the throttle control right, do most people fly with the joystick but still use the keyboard for up and down?
[Hive]-Twist
+13|6512
Look at it this way. Joystick=30-50 bucks. Mouse/Keyboard=You already have. There are good pilots for both. I think I'll go with mouse and keyboard. Besides- rather get a razer copperhead since I could use that for more than just flying.
Mosh
+2|6890

Simon1987 wrote:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2221,CONTENTID=10714

Is that one any good?
same one i got. i love it like whoa.
[RED]_LEO_UK
+0|6500
I use a mouse and keyboard to fly iv tryed a joystick and i suck big time at it so im sticking with what works for me the good old keyboard and mouse lol
Project Enigma
+3|6545|=XraY=
If anyone is looking to buy a joystick, I will let you in on the 'secret spot' for Saitek controllers. You can grab a full X52 setup for $69 HERE

https://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/saitekusa_1930_1554346.gif

Last edited by Project Enigma (2007-01-22 09:22:37)

Marinejuana
local
+415|6731|Seattle

De_Jappe wrote:

Meh, I still fly with the mouse, and occasionally I get even a J10 out of the air. I don't consider myself at the best level, but I have a ratio of 4, and I fly the f35b a lot. It's all about practice. If you first tried a lot with mouse, you'll still need a lot of practice with the joystick to get as good as you were with the mouse.

A joystick is not essential to be good, it's not that when you suddenly have a joystick, you will kill more than before or bomb better and notice a major improvement, on the contrary, it will fly weird in the beginning and you will rarely kill and crash in the beginning. In the longer run it might become handy if you want to join dogfights competitions but for pubbing you can also have good scores (like 54-0) with the mouse&keyboard. It's all about practice.

ZekersSneakers wrote:

Mouse/Keyboard are alright, you can get good with them no doubt, if you can beat most people that use joysticks then chances are you're just better than them...

But the cold hard truth is, joystick > mouse in precision aiming and control, no matter what you say.

Joystick > mouse.

Player > control input.
listen to these people, they are correct.

rowing your mouse during long turns is stupid when you could simply direct a joystick instead. with M and K i can be shot down in a j10 because as i turn, sometimes there is a gap in the mouse's directional input (usually as i pick up the mouse and replace it) that causes me to fly straight for a moment in the turn. this is when the missile hits or the other pilot lands their stream of gunfire. with a joystick in position, u just get continuous turning. with M and K your turning will only be continuous if u are using the mouse VERY skillfully. in other words, flying effectively is easier with a joystick.

i still use mouse and keyboard though because i rarely encounter good pilots and i already wasted x number of hours getting decent with M and K.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6975|Grapevine, TX
Well I would suggest using the mouse and keyboard, for helo piloting. They do make the best pilots. Myself I cant do shit without my X52, seriously. All I can do with the mouse & keyboard it contract out a few jobs, to chop down a few trees at a time! I have to use a joystick. Point is, do what ever suits you best.

And as for the Logitech joystick, yes its a good one, but you don't need the force feedback, BF2 doesn't support it.
alpinestar
+304|6742|New York City baby.

.:ronin:.|Patton wrote:

Dude do not get a joystick, you can fly so much better with a mouse. Gunning with a joystick is way to fucking hard. Mouse=precise aiming. Get a Logitech G5 or something.
fail
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6799
Joystick from the start = higher potential.

Don't even bother switching after flying for 5 months, you'll just get frustrated and break something.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
TheBelcorwyn
The Man With the Golden AK
+21|6787|Gainesville, FL

Simon1987 wrote:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2221,CONTENTID=10714

Is that one any good?
That's the joystick I use.  It works well for me.  I just wish i could adjust the sensitivity.

Belcorwyn
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6542|Indianapolis, IN
I fly Helo with a joystick, I love it.
SteikeTa
+153|6894|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega
I use mouse and keyboard... bought a joystick and hated it. Of course, have to learn how to use it. It was like flying again for the first time.... and I am not patient. So I still use m/k.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6692
I think you have more control with the heli using mouse and keyboard. Slider throttle is a pain compared to just tapping a throttle key as you need it.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6777|Washington, DC

It doesn't really mater for me, though. I get killed in the J-10 regardless of what control method I use.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard