Poll

Do you hate rap?

yes59%59% - 232
nah40%40% - 158
Total: 390
ssj3barua
+55|6840|Indianapolis, IN, U.S.
I listen to just about any type of music, I like rap. I even like the mainstream stuff like 50 cent and all that. It's funny as I type this, I'm listening to Sparta!
I kinda think that there is a hint of racism in some of you here.
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6914

james@alienware wrote:

No.

- - - - -

I hate the way rappers think they are musicians and have talent (I admit, I'm sure some do) but the generalization is that they can talk into a mic for prolonged periods of time which isn't either of the above.

I feel cheated that they are living a good life (from the money) where as real musicians (people who play instruments, sing well) do not get the appreciation they  deserve.

I understand that some people enjoy listening to someone talking over a backing track but I think that the people who actually play in that backing track should at least half of the money: and that's forgetting about the appreciation and praise.

N.B. I am not saying that most musicians want money because I'm sure that most (me included) play for enjoyment, however I do think they need to be recognized more.
Except... those 'musicians' aren't musically talented, they just know how to work Fruity Loops.

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

It depends really, what constitutes rap? Do Rage Against The Machine "rap"?
Well, Zack de la Rocha does, I guess, 'rap', but their music is not rap 'music'. If you wanna go into details they're 'rapcore' but the fact that they've got one of the world's top guitarists and a rocking band drags them out of that pit.
jsnipy
+3,276|6673|...

Yeah what about bands like Korn and Linkin Park ... what do haterz think of them?
Microwave
_
+515|6806|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

Coolbeano wrote:

Except... those 'musicians' aren't musically talented, they just know how to work Fruity Loops.
You lost me at the "E"  ?
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6813|USA

Coolbeano wrote:

Well, Zack de la Rocha does, I guess, 'rap', but their music is not rap 'music'. If you wanna go into details they're 'rapcore' but the fact that they've got one of the world's top guitarists and a rocking band drags them out of that pit.
WERE a rocking band. HAD one of the greatest guitarists.

Edit: BTW rap FTW

Last edited by Mason4Assassin444 (2007-01-04 08:50:09)

Sir Aidyn Sage
DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!
+32|6515

acidkiller187 wrote:

There are some songs that I will listen to, but very "FEW".
I hate Rap but I will listen to some OLD SKOOL   like Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Fat Boys, and I also like ISP, BUt when you refer TO  2Punk , or Snoop who one made the comment on Howard Stern, "If you're White and you invite me into your house I will rob you blind."  not a chance in hell that I would ever buy one of this cds.

This aint music this is garbage, and you can throw this crap in with both types of country and western and opera too....
IsaacLeavitt
+24|6502
i listen to hard rock: Godsmack, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Staind, Stone Sour, Hinder, Nickleback... and others

Rock owns rap...
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6853
I love listening to every single type of music to form a balanced opinion.........

But rap isn't music. It's a fasionable noise.
Coolbeano
+378|6914

james@alienware wrote:

Coolbeano wrote:

Except... those 'musicians' aren't musically talented, they just know how to work Fruity Loops. E
You lost me at the "E"  ?
There fixed.
Rec(+)n
Teh Hawtsawce
+4|6609

jsnipy wrote:

Yeah what about bands like Korn and Linkin Park ... what do haterz think of them?
Linkin Park and Korn are trash, and as for rap, its not music at all.  Almost all of rap is about the same shit, and its just annoying noise.  They have almost no real fan base, because someobdy 'famous' a week ago is nobody next week, because they aren't the newest act.  This is the problem with most music today actually, and its pretty sad.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6783

rabee2789b wrote:

Rap ftw.

My fav rappers

The GAME and T.I.
Yup Those are my Fav. Rappers too. T.I. - I like My Top Down low...
And The Game Lets Ride...

MMmmmmmmm Those are SICK songs.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6644|N. Ireland
Hate It.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6994|Reykjavík, Iceland.

jsnipy wrote:

Yuck.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6813|USA

PBAsydney wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Yuck.
Yuck?! And look at how many records they've sold. tsk tsk....

People hate rap because...

1) Your too old. You just don't understand. Leave it be.

2) A random black person can not have a high school or college degree and still get lucky with a hit song and    make millions. Its called H-A-T-I-N-G.

How about Kid Rock? Or the Family Values Tour that mixes rock bands and rappers. I hear its a pretty good money maker.
golgoj4
+51|6925|North Hollywood

james@alienware wrote:

No.

- - - - -

I hate the way rappers think they are musicians and have talent (I admit, I'm sure some do) but the generalization is that they can talk into a mic for prolonged periods of time which isn't either of the above.

I feel cheated that they are living a good life (from the money) where as real musicians (people who play instruments, sing well) do not get the appreciation they  deserve.

I understand that some people enjoy listening to someone talking over a backing track but I think that the people who actually play in that backing track should at least half of the money: and that's forgetting about the appreciation and praise.

N.B. I am not saying that most musicians want money because I'm sure that most (me included) play for enjoyment, however I do think they need to be recognized more.
ok, so i wrote somethin else which i deleted but I will say this. The better the rapper, the less they are paid for the most part. Good ones have to fight for a record deal because they have something to say. The ones everyone here bitches about (myself included) are produced for suburbia because they sell. So I find this whole statement funny. Its a buisness 1st people so just remember, dont hate the players, hate the game
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6813|USA

golgoj4 wrote:

dont hate the players, hate the game
QFT
golgoj4
+51|6925|North Hollywood
and I love how everyone defines what is and isnt music...how many of u fuckers are rocking some lame emo shite that sounds like a 6 string blasphemy?

but seriously, are we all berklee school of music grads or something?
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6994|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Yuck.

2) A random black person can not have a high school or college degree and still get lucky with a hit song and    make millions. Its called H-A-T-I-N-G.

How about Kid Rock? Or the Family Values Tour that mixes rock bands and rappers. I hear its a pretty good money maker.
1. Yes, I'm turning 16 this year, holy cow.

2. If it was Jimi Hendrix reborn I would support him all the way.

I hate rap because it simply sounds bad and hurts my ears.

golgoj4 wrote:

and I love how everyone defines what is and isnt music...how many of u fuckers are rocking some lame emo shite that sounds like a 6 string blasphemy?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/c … lo_tab.htm

And this is what it sounds like (solo around 3:20)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nbr89uDTr9Y

Last edited by PBAsydney (2007-01-04 09:31:38)

Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6813|USA

PBAsydney wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

Yuck.

1. Yes, I'm turning 16 this year, holy cow.

2. If it was Jimi Hendrix reborn I would support him all the way.

I hate rap because it simply sounds bad and hurts my ears.
Mucho Respecto on the Jimi Hendrix.
Coolbeano
+378|6914

golgoj4 wrote:

I can be, and just might well be in the next few years

But I also don't consider emo punk rock and all this new 'rock' stuff to be considered music either. Just because they can play blues line powerchords over and over again does not count as music. Yes, power chords are indeed special and versatile in so many ways, but they're over using it to the extent its the only thing they use.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6813|USA

Coolbeano wrote:

golgoj4 wrote:

I can be, and just might well be in the next few years

But I also don't consider emo punk rock and all this new 'rock' stuff to be considered music either. Just because they can play blues line powerchords over and over again does not count as music. Yes, power chords are indeed special and versatile in so many ways, but they're over using it to the extent its the only thing they use.
Besides that they suck. All the music festivals with ACTUAL bands headliners and these EMO horseshit bands pull the curtain, the EMO leadsinger is usually getting knocked out by some sort of debris or being showered will piss while on stage. Thats how good they are. RAAAAAAAAWWWK!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6772|London, England
I like rap/hiphop but i despise R&B, but really i don't care if someone hates it for whatever reason. It's their life. I'll listen to anything if it has a good beat. Lyrics come in second. For me it used to be all about the lyrics until i realised that i'm only ever listening to music if i'm

- Playing games
- Drunk
- Doing something else in general

And i realised that it's boring listening to what they say, as long as it flows i'm happy with it.

Unless it's 50 Cent...hate that idiot, g-g-g-g-uNOT

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2007-01-04 09:54:41)

KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6735|England
To be quite frank, mainstream rap music is simply awful.  How the likes of G-Unit have made a penny mystifies me as they are devoid of any talent at all.  However, there are many rap artists out there who are very,very talented lyricists.  Listen to the likes of Brother Ali, Atmosphere, Zion I etc and their works sound poetic and actually make sense from one line to the next instead of some toss pot shouting about money and crack. So no, I don't hate rap, just the commercial horseshit, same as I hate commercial rock/metal shite, commercial techno shite, pop shite etc......
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
DeadFin
Who are we to argue with Taller Ghost Walt?
+27|6814|Finland
well I don't really hate it, I just don't like it
Microwave
_
+515|6806|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
You know what I said made sense.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard