Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

It's not looking much better for AMD
Intel Kentsfield trounces AMD Quad FX

In raw performance and performance per Watt

By Theo Valich: Thursday 30 November 2006, 00:16
THE LAUNCH OF THE QUAD FX is imminent, and the first benchmarks are starting to appear on-line. Our Japanese colleagues at PC Watch managed to score a world exclusive and file the very first review of the Quad FX, in its fastest iteration, the FX-74.

First of all, older versions of CPU-Z recognise this product as "Opteron 8130 EE", which means this product is recognised as Opteron for Socket AM2, but placed on Socket 1207.

The testing was conducted on ASUS L1N64-SLI WS (workstation) motherboard, not on the Deluxe product that Nvidia advertised at first. CPUs were clocked at 3.02GHz, while Corsair Dominator memory worked at 754MHz, due to divider issues.

Test scores reveal that Quad FX manages to achieve equal performance to Core 2 Extreme QX6700 in SiSoft Sandra 2007 and PCMark05 and narrowly edged it in memory tests: both L1, L2 and system memory latency are better on QuadFX than on Kentsfield, but that's nothing new.

However, taking a look into media encoding shows that QuadFather just gets crushed by Kentsfield, especially in MPEG-2 8Mbit reproduction. But the worst result for AMD is a look into power consumption and performance per watt. AMD system consumes far more power than Intel, sometimes even double that Kentsfield setup.

In the end, price is the real winner here. You can buy AMDs "quad-core" package for 599 dollars (FX-70, 2.6GHz part), and two FX-74 CPUs will set you back by 1000 dollars or euros. Even if you don't like to shell out hefty sums of money for the CPUs, no one can oppose the fact that you can now buy quad-core parts at same price of dual cores from yesterday. µ

More about the QuadFX and how it faired against native, dual-die single-packaged Core 2 processor can be found here. µ
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36050

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-11-29 17:58:08)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6728|California

Qx6700 <3
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6727|Las Vegas
I love it when processor tech. advances so fast that you can skip a whole generation before you use up your last purchase.....

I really wanted to jump on the C2D bandwagon awhile ago but my FX60/X1900XT is still running plenty strong for now.  Hell, those quads should be getting pretty cheap by the time I feel the need to upgrade again.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

ShotYourSix wrote:

I love it when processor tech. advances so fast that you can skip a whole generation before you use up your last purchase.....

I really wanted to jump on the C2D bandwagon awhile ago but my FX60/X1900XT is still running plenty strong for now.  Hell, those quads should be getting pretty cheap by the time I feel the need to upgrade again.
That is true..lol
There are few to no programs that have been written that utilize two cores properly and quads are popping up. It's a product of intense competition. I think AMD is getting desperate to release something to the enthusiast but unfortunately Intel has trumped them again. (So it would seem, this is preliminary)

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-11-29 22:36:29)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6727|Las Vegas

Kmarion wrote:

I think AMD is getting desperate to release something to the enthusiast but unfortunately Intel has trumped them again. (So it would seem, this is preliminary)
Desperate would seem to be an understatement.

I've been an AMD fan for as long as I've had a PC (~1993).  I can remember when running AMD was a small sacrifice in performance to gain a huge advantage in price, not too many years afterwards AMD began to excell in the performance arena and eventually held both the performance AND price advantage (ahh...those were the days.....).  Not so long ago, AMD's performance advantage led them to increase prices exhorbitantly.

Now we find ourselves on the other side of the coin.  Intel chips are better, cheaper and more efficient.  AMD has drastically cut prices (though not enough in my opinion) but the wheels are turning.  These competitions between major players (AMD/Intel, ATI/Nvidia) are the best thing we consumers have going for us,  if it were not for one or the other, innovation would grow stale and pricing would outpace performance gains.

Sometimes it's a real pain in the ass trying to keep up with the tech. but on the other hand, we would not be where we are at today without these battles between them.

It's a goddamn good time to be a gamer eh?
CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine

ShotYourSix wrote:

by the time I feel the need to upgrade again.
By then, we'll have octi-cores. LOL
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6727|Las Vegas

CrazeD wrote:

ShotYourSix wrote:

by the time I feel the need to upgrade again.
By then, we'll have octi-cores. LOL
I'm thinkin' sexta-cores.....

Something about that name makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. 
liquix
+51|6461|Peoples Republic of Portland
Pshh thats so 2009, hepta-core for the win.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6710|New York
What these new cores are going to be great for is Servers!!!!! The AMD solutions are better suited for Server solutions, because the boards they have made use to Physical processors. At this point, and because the new AMD Quads are made with the 90nm process still, They are truely better suited for server and workstation applications at this point. I would love to put together a server useing a couple of these and like 12gb of ram, If only i had a bigger line to use for the internet. I would love to see how these do compared to the duel Z's i have sitting in my old server box.

Yes AMD is desprate, as well they should be. Hey, has anyone been to the ATI site lately? Man it has AMD plastered all over it LOL.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard