Poll

Mind having a random player as your gunner in helos?

Don't mind a bit79%79% - 35
Rather do it all myself20%20% - 9
Total: 44
Frills
+0|6745
I have yet to get the hang of flying the damn things, instead of trying and wasting the helo when I put it into a mountain or other solid object, I get in, hit F2 to drop to the gunner position, and wait for a pilot.

A few times the pilot got pissed, and had some words not worth repeating, but I want to check to see if they were just pricks, or am I being impolite?
Eckzack
The east-german Fuxxer
+37|6890|Germany / Saxony
?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/384f5f7318c23ecb5909f14b157d6d31e8b5a332.png

IRNV-Field 3... New School Shit...
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6837|Jupiter
He is asking if you like people as your gunner, or just fly solo.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6865
i think it's more about 'would you rather have a random player or someone you know as your gunner.'

personally, the best gunners i've ever had were random players who just hopped in as i was taking off.

that's not to say that the rest of them don't suck.
cocoasdad
+0|6787
I try to rotate. One time I'll fly, next time the other guy flys. If it works out better one way or the other I'll stick with that.

I can just about always shoot accurately {and TV} but there are some days where I just can't fly. If I don't gun at those times then I will pound the ground. I fiqure it is better to drag only my own score down then to drag the entire team down when they don't have the helo.

I will say I have had more crappy pilots as a gunner then I have had crappy gunners as a pilot.
DRB_Black
+0|6759|Sacramento, California
I'm one of the random gunners, who likes to jump on in.  If i'm lucky, I can get several kills with a pilot that knows enough to keep the nose pointed at the targets and helps me engage.  The other guys are too busy trying not to crash.   I can fly the choppers decently, but I realize that there are better flyers out there than me, so I let them have the controls.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6865
i just can't trust other people to fly. they usually end up doing something dumb and get us both killed. or they spend the whole round trying to kill infantry with their rockets and never giving me a chance to shoot anything.
Gilgalad
Renaissance Soldier
+2|6823|Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
I personally dislike guys who can't fly and just hang out in the gunner's seat waiting for a pilot.

A few of them are actually good gunners, but most are either newbies who can't hit anything (quite innocent, as they have to learn somehow), or n00bs who can't hit anything and get pissed if you have a squad mate who can hit stuff who you'd rather have in there. If you want to show the pilot that you are serious about being his gunner, join his squad when he gets in, or make a new squad and invite him if he isn't in one.

As a gunner, you either have to be psychic or use some sort of voice chatting. While voice chat is nice, I've run acroos some gunners who realize exactly what I am doing as a pilot and have good vision to see infantry to kill, and tv shots against vehicles that I line up.

Finally, I'll have to agree with cocoasdad and Krappyappy that finding a crappy pilot is far easier that finding an awful gunner (though both are available in abundance). Yesterday on Dragon Valley I had a guy tk my squadmate to get the chopper at the woodyard. I jumped in as the gunner only to watch him do nothing but strafe the carrier while our team lost half of our bases including the airfield. When he got shot down, I tk'd him (not the nicest thing), but with my squaddie gunner we were able to retake all but one of the lost bases including the arifield.

Last edited by Gilgalad (2005-12-23 11:45:49)

Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6865
i think the better way to put it is 'it's damned hard to find a good gunner or pilot.'

that's why i end up flying 90% of the time. at least with an idiot gunner, i can keep us alive.
DRB_Black
+0|6759|Sacramento, California
Nothing pisses me off more than climbing into the gunners seat, only to have the damn pilot roll the cobra into the drink half a heart beat off of the carrier.  If you can't fly the goddam thing, stay the hell out of the pilots seat.   Start your own game and learn to fly with no around to kill you.
LockerFish
+47|6751
""""I'm one of the random gunners, who likes to jump on in.  If i'm lucky, I can get several kills with a pilot that knows enough to keep the nose pointed at the targets and helps me engage.  The other guys are too busy trying not to crash.   I can fly the choppers decently, but I realize that there are better flyers out there than me, so I let them have the controls."""

I dont' know how to do the box thing so I just quoted a few times...

That's pretty much me except if I see an uncapped base and the pilot sucks, I'm bailing and taking the base for the team. But usually on the carrier I'll meet a guy waiting for a helo(only if it's one and not a thousand TKers waiting for it) and we'll swap roles if we crash until we decide who's the much better pilot and then stick with that.
Gilgalad
Renaissance Soldier
+2|6823|Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
There is help on BBCode off the link below the message submission box. This is how you quote:

Code:

[quote=James]This is the text i want to quote.[/quote]
Or in your case:

Code:

[quote=DRB_Black]I'm one of the random gunners, who likes to jump on in.  If i'm lucky, I can get several kills with a pilot that knows enough to keep the nose pointed at the targets and helps me engage.  The other guys are too busy trying not to crash.   I can fly the choppers decently, but I realize that there are better flyers out there than me, so I let them have the controls.[/quote]
In the end it looks like this:

DRB_Black wrote:

I'm one of the random gunners, who likes to jump on in.  If i'm lucky, I can get several kills with a pilot that knows enough to keep the nose pointed at the targets and helps me engage.  The other guys are too busy trying not to crash.   I can fly the choppers decently, but I realize that there are better flyers out there than me, so I let them have the controls.
End Lesson.

So far as crappy pilots go, many casual players are not willing to put in the time to learn how to control thier flight offline before playing online. It would almost seem worthwhile for Dice to make a "Training" course that players would have to pass in order to unlock flying helos and planes online.

My favorite method of instant bad pilot detection (I'll at least attempt to call these unskilled cockbites n00bs ) is if they begin the flight by flying amost straight up 150-200 meters. I'll stay in to get the extra helo time (working on vet helo badge, time is only limitation for me), but won't expect much of anything out of the pilot. One really big exception to this rule - Transport pilot for USMC on Wake Island. Flying low will get you killed 90% or more of the time.  Get at least 200-250 meters high and go straight for the airbase. Either chute in from up high or dive down and land. Without this being done I rarely see the USMC win this map.

As far as finding a good pilot/gunner - rank matters. While there are First Sergeants and Sergeant Majors who have no skill with helicopters, most have some level of experience with them. Many of the worst pilots I've seen have a rank of Sergeant (just the regular kind) or lower. This doesn't mean that there aren't players with less time in the game who aren't good pilots (or sometimes are just veterans with new accounts), it just means that the likelihood of a person with 50-100 hours of game time having quality of instincts, skills and reactions of a person with several hundred hours is very low. People like to call most high ranking players vehicle whores, but a large part of thier stats (both time, kills and k/d ratio) is they stay alive longer when they get into vehicles because of thier experience and skill using them.

Last edited by Gilgalad (2005-12-23 13:23:57)

Grymlok
+0|6746
I always try to get a gunner when I pilot choppers, and my flying style tends more toward setting up the gunner for good shots rather than trying to kill stuff myself.  Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of people who don't use the TV rocket when gunning.  If I set up a perfect TV rocket shot once or twice and find that my gunner isn't responding, I'll switch over to a more solo-style mode of attack for hard targets, and just set up the gunner for killing squishies with the chaingun.
Dr0pped
+8|6799|Ontario, Canada

DRB_Black wrote:

I am generally like that too. I can fly, but will willingly give it up to someone with better skills. I try to set the tone on our first sortie by taking down an enemy chopper with the TV missiles, just so the pilot knows I am not incapable! If he can't fly, he doesn't get a second chance with me in the gunner seat.
=SA=VaSSiLi
+2|6816
I'm a decent flier, and I always love to have one of my clanmates gun for me.  They can usually hit and tanks with their missiles, sometimes even other choppers and always have no problem with infantry.  I dont mind having random gunners.. except when they suck!

seriously though, I mean, Ill like see a lone sniper on a hill on the way out of my helipad or something, Ill like, put my nose in his face to let the gunner shoot him, and for like 10 seconds nothing will happen, so Ill just let fly a couple missiles.  Things like that just bug me..

Otherwise, rockon!
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6762|Riva, MD
I hate those faggots that tell you to hop out so some other guy that was there could get in.  It's so gay, who gives a fuck who is in the gunner position.  My brother once hopped in the gunner seat and was tool to get out for another guy, and my brother refused so the guy flew to the edge of the map and said hop out, my brother said no and the pilot positioned it so that the gunner seat was just in the out of bounds zone and my brother didn't get out so after about 10 seconds it started to deteriorate his health and my brother died and after he died, the dickhead in the chopper just flew away.  It's actually kind of disgusting that people do that.  Fuck them all.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2005-12-23 20:22:09)

Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6892|Australia
about 90% of the time i dont mind some people should just stay away from choppers/jets tho the ocasional person just sucks...

i swear some of em couldent hit anything even if its 2 feet infront of them

and as for people asking me to get out cause they want their friend to go doesnt bother me as long as they do it nicely! most of the time its like get the "firetruck" out of my chopper... rude people...
the_ubernoob_
+8|6789
I'm not the best pilot but my friend and I use skype while I fly the chopper and we make a formidable duo.  Usually when I fly I'll try to take off to escape the random people trying to get in the chopper and land next to my friend so he can get in. 

However when a random does get in (and they often do) I'll let him keep the gunner seat.  I've heard of the edge of the map trick but have never tried it.  The only time I would even consider trying the edge of map trick is when I have a crap gunner (you know the ones who think TV's are used to kill cars/infantry and the machinegun is meant to take down tanks).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard