Jackabo
+127|6560|Dublin, Ireland
I recently got about half way through this game but since then I've got a new computer and I'm not sure if I should finish it?

It is a good game but I didn't see why people thought it was so great. Maybe because I like played for an hour and then waited a week and played another hour.

From someone who has actually completed the game, is it worth the finish, and are the other episodes worth playin asell?

Thanks
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
HL2 = amazing
HL2 Ep 1 = good, but too short
HL2 Ep 2 = Perfect...but suffers from being the middle child.
Commie Killer
+192|6389
Amazing game. I love it, I love killing zombies, and I love the gravity gun.

Oh, did I mention the story is fucking amazing? Best I have seen in a game.
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6445|California
how have you gotten half way through the game and don't see how it is great? maybe you don't understand the underlying elements, or something. HL2 FTW!
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6651|Washington DC

I think you need to spend some time in Ravenholm ... if you haven't been there, then you can't appreciate HL2.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
Worth the play through, if nothing else to be able to argue legitimately for/against it on online forums.

Seriously HL2 gets a little boring at times but is still very good, EP1 and EP2 are absolutely amazing.
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5976|England

I think its redicuously over rated and utter crap.

imo
Commie Killer
+192|6389

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Worth the play through, if nothing else to be able to argue legitimately for/against it on online forums.

Seriously HL2 gets a little boring at times but is still very good, EP1 and EP2 are absolutely amazing.
Yeah, towards the end in City17 I got bored of killing endless Combine, but then.

Personally, on the first playthrough, the game is fun. Second is its very fun. Third time, after playing Half Life 1 and expansions, its amazing. They did a great job with the story. Who says a great story cant make a game?
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6651|Washington DC

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Or, rather, looooong ... there's some segments that are about twice my attention span, like the boat segment.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

SamTheMan:D wrote:

imo
Well we all think that about you but you're still here, right? <3

OrangeHound wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Or, rather, looooong ... there's some segments that are about twice my attention span, like the boat segment.
Yeah, the boat segment feels like it drags on forever.
Home
Section.80
+447|6849|Seattle, Washington, USA

I agree that HL2 can get lengthy at times (I've played through twice and enjoyed both, but I think by the third time it would be getting tedious) but other than that it is nearly flawless. I didn't like the episodes as much, but yeah, it's definitely worth the playthrough.
Flaming_Maniac

OrangeHound wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Yeah, but to each his own. I loved all the boat stuff, because I'm the sort of anal adventure gamer that has to check every corner, talk to every person. (I love Zelda )

Ravenholm on the other hand was one of my least favorite levels in any game, after the first few minutes it was hard to tell where you were going and where you had gone because it all looked the same, and there wasn't nearly enough ammo to have fun with the zombies. Screw ammo conservation, I just want to blow some brains head tissue out of zombies.

That's part of the reason I like the episodes so much, they give you all the ammo you could ever need and let you go to town. I love the subway part in EP1.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6513|Gold Coast
If S.T.A.L.K.E.R was released on time against HL2, I would say that STALKER would've kicked ass.
HL2 is okay, but its quite repetitive and boring sometimes. STALKER is slow at the start, but greatfun when youre into the game.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5976|England

Poseidon wrote:

imo
wotch it m8

Last edited by SamTheMan:D (2008-02-01 18:23:06)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Yeah, but to each his own. I loved all the boat stuff, because I'm the sort of anal adventure gamer that has to check every corner, talk to every person. (I love Zelda )

Ravenholm on the other hand was one of my least favorite levels in any game, after the first few minutes it was hard to tell where you were going and where you had gone because it all looked the same, and there wasn't nearly enough ammo to have fun with the zombies. Screw ammo conservation, I just want to blow some brains head tissue out of zombies.

That's part of the reason I like the episodes so much, they give you all the ammo you could ever need and let you go to town. I love the subway part in EP1.
The key to ravenholm was using the Gravity Gun. Those saws are REALLY useful for taking out a line of zombies.

Poseidon wrote:

imo
wotch it m8
no u
Volatile
+252|6706|Sextupling in Empire

The game was amazing when it first was released. In fact, it was so awesome it made me go out and build my first gaming pc.

Now with the aged source engine, it's ok. Hopefully they'll crap out the final episode soon so they can work on something new and "next gen".
Flaming_Maniac

Poseidon wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

The key to ravenholm was using the Gravity Gun. Those saws are REALLY useful for taking out a line of zombies.
Forgot about the saws, that was my favorite part in the entire game, better than the very end Spoiler (highlight to read):
with the super gravity gun

I tried taking a saw with me as far as possible, but I lost it about halfway through the level, and then I couldn't wait for it to end.
Veridic
+2|6151
One of the great things about HL2 was the balance between physics puzzles and combat.  The game would switch between puzzles and combat.  If you like the puzzles, I recommend you get the orange box that comes with Portal.  Portal is pure physics puzzles.
Commie Killer
+192|6389

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Forgot about the saws, that was my favorite part in the entire game, better than the very end Spoiler (highlight to read):
with the super gravity gun

I tried taking a saw with me as far as possible, but I lost it about halfway through the level, and then I couldn't wait for it to end.
Well, there are saws, explosive barrels, spinny things, cinder blocks, and shit like that all over level, wasnt that hard for me, well, after I figured out to use gravity gun, before that, I was going full auto on everything and ran out of ammo.

About the boat level, that was pretty fun, I also like exploring every small area, so that was fun, just like on the car level, I explored everything. In my opinion though, they could have thrown a few zombie parts in the boat level, then again, maybe not, as all you had was the SMG, Pistol, Crowbar, and Grenades.
Frogfan105
+18|6001|Your basement
I suggest that you all get SMOD, it takes the hl2 story, and adds a whole lot of guns, and new enemies. (Cloaked combine, Hound eyes, explosive head crabs, and shielded combine) The NPCs use the new weapons very well, the squad AI is enhanced and your men stay where you tell them.

The new enemy AIs will give you a real run for your money, being chased by an elite with a Kar98 is good fun. Also, you get a strider cannon, a flamethower, and grenades that make black holes.

All of the enemies will blow into giblets ,the graphics are enhanced with motion blur and you can slow down time F.E.A.R. style.

P.S.( I like to ramble and im a little "fizzy" right now)

Last edited by Frogfan105 (2008-02-02 08:03:32)

henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6350|Belfast

Frogfan105 wrote:

I suggest that you all get SMOD Tactical
fixed

Alyx is hot
agree?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
PCGamer got it right. "Half-Life 2 is possibly the greatest game ever."
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6547
Yeah, it's pretty good. Much better than a ton of games in comparison. Just finish it before the graphics engine gets any older. CoD4 and UT3 are my graphics standard now and are making everything else look terrible.

kylef wrote:

PCGamer got it right. "Half-Life 2 is possibly the greatest game ever."
:cough:deus ex:cough:
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Home
Section.80
+447|6849|Seattle, Washington, USA

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty good. Much better than a ton of games in comparison. Just finish it before the graphics engine gets any older. CoD4 and UT3 are my graphics standard now and are making everything else look terrible.
Yeah, but considering it's four years old the graphics are still pretty good, not to mention I still don't think I've seen human faces done as well in any other video game yet.
LethalBIZzle
+7|5961|UK
I have Orange box, with Hl2, Hl2 episodes 1 AND 2 on Xbox 360 and its way too short, although it is better than most of the 1st person shooters on 360, completed it once, never played it since. But it was ok while it lasted, episode 2 is great, the outdoor scenery is amazing. Oh plus Portal sucks ballbags.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard