m0v3m3nt
+15|6191
Just got The Orange Box, and I'm having some lag issues with Portal. I'm running a 3GHz P4 with a gig of OCZ Platinum DDR 400, 256MB pny 6200 [pos] card. I've tried turning all the settings right down but this does nothing to help. The rest of the titles in The Orange Box seem to be fine, so I thought I'd see if anyone could help.

Cheers.
m0v3m3nt
+15|6191
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5995|Washington DC
In the first tab of Settings, there's something about "Portal render depth"... try turning that down to 1.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6689

Maybe (but I doubt it) it's your drivers? Or maybe it's because your card is too old? Portal can be a demanding game because of all the physics and rendering involved.
Stimey
­
+786|6154|Ontario | Canada
I think a 6600 Might be the lowest card to run the game.
Can you push the resolution down to 640x480?
­
­
­
­
­
­
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6469
Type into the console "mat_dxlevel 81". It will render in DX8.1 which is significantly faster. "mat_compressedtextures 1" will obviously use less texture memory. "violence_hblood 0" turns off blood in Portal if you're squeezing every last frame. If your P4 is dual core use "r_threaded_particles 1" and "r_threaded_renderables 1". Other console commands would be "mat_bumpmap 0" and "mat_specular 0". Keep in mind that all these commands are intended to get the lowest possible visual quality and therefore the highest framerate (except the dual-core fixes). If you use these, it'll look a lot worse than intended.
Brasso
+1,549|6665

Stimey wrote:

Can you push the resolution down to 640x480?
Mini-throw up.  That's like Starcraft baby, old school.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Commie Killer
+192|6421
Every time you create a portal, you create another room, times the number of portals shown on your screen. Takes its toll, I had the same problem, I had to play the game in 4 different stints cause it would start laggin.
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6387|Troy, New York
You can bump it all the way down to direct 7.1 if you need too, if 8 isn't low enuf.
m0v3m3nt
+15|6191
Hey... replies!

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll be trying out a few of them later.

Cheers.

FloppY_
­
+1,010|6320|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Stimey wrote:

I think a 6600 Might be the lowest card to run the game
It is, minimum spec = 6600

I am getting sick of these threads with noobs whining about the games they can't run now that they got them because they didn't believe the specs on the back of the box
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6320|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Commie Killer wrote:

Every time you create a portal, you create another room
Nope, doesn't work that way...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6304

FloppY_ wrote:

Stimey wrote:

My 5500 runs it fine.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6684|Washington DC

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Stimey wrote:

My 5500 runs it fine.
Yes, you can run it with cards lower than the 6600 ... but you do need to do some tweaking to get the lag out.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6383|Belfast
my radeon 9200 runs it fine
med textures
portal render depth 9
wtf is that anyway?
m0v3m3nt
+15|6191

FloppY_ wrote:

Stimey wrote:

I am getting sick of these threads with noobs whining about the games they can't run now that they got them because they didn't believe the specs on the back of the box
Who's whining you tit rash? I'm asking if anyone has any advice on sorting it out. They have. It worked. GTFO.
m0v3m3nt
+15|6191
Further to the above. The ONLY stipulation made on the box with regards to video card, is that it needs min 128MB. No mention of 6600, or anything else for that matter. So I guess Flipflop, you just like a moan, regardless of whether or not you know what the hell you're talking about.

Thanks for the rest of the advice though chaps. Most helpful.

mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6633|S.C.

m0v3m3nt wrote:

Further to the above. The ONLY stipulation made on the box with regards to video card, is that it needs min 128MB. No mention of 6600, or anything else for that matter. So I guess Flipflop, you just like a moan, regardless of whether or not you know what the hell you're talking about.

Thanks for the rest of the advice though chaps. Most helpful.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard