Poll

Is changing the "User Settings" in BF2 cheating ?

Yes10%10% - 16
No89%89% - 140
Total: 156
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6847|Grapevine, TX

[Fin]Dami3n wrote:

We are talking about user settings...
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Settings\Usersettings.con <--!
I agree if it's in that folder you can change you're own document settings. thats where you can add additional accounts, resolution, graphic option levels, etc. But...

Getting honest here... (No I wont search for the thread, either) I changed some settings last spring with another account i started after my curiosity g0t the best of me. I'm talking about changing the setting where if you get close enough to an enemy you can read their nametag above their head. Well the change was as simple as changing any other usersettings.con file... Well the default setting are how  DICE made the game. The changed setting would allow me to see the nametags very far off in the distance and would hardly fade out if you were on a big map... Well about 3-4 weeks later it became known as the "nametag hack". FFS, I learned a hard lesson. It gave me an very unfair advantage, obviously.

So it can be interpreted as cheating to change your latency configuration, etc. But I agree anything other than what I described above is not cheating...
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6657|Montreal, Qc, Canada
I dont even know what you guys are talking about!
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6668

Andoura wrote:

Where have you been for the last...year?
Adamshannon8
+94|6203
PB has gotten a LOT better at catching hacks, they now go thru your whole hard drive and your bf2 and HDD cashe to catch if you even ran a hack once, so if changing the file is hacking then PB will kick/ban you

but they haven't so its not hacking.
Anewgirl
+12|6171|Vermont U.S.A

T.Pike wrote:

In your opinion, is changing the "User Settings" in BF2 cheating ?
Only if you do it :p
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6166|San Antonio, Texas

geNius wrote:

Cyrax-Sektor wrote:

Changing DPI on-the-fly could count as an "unfair" advantage on your mouse, but that doesn't mean you're cheating. You paid for the goods, you get the goods.
With that logic, you could open up the macro debate.
Actually, my mouse can use macros. I have my right mouse button set to a macro. Hold your torches!

I've only set it to one function mainly. It's either night vision in SF, crouch in vanilla and if I ever get in a jet, flares. The only that sees the most use is night vision, because I always forget to crouch.

Last edited by Cyrax-Sektor (2007-12-18 20:11:43)

Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6657|Montreal, Qc, Canada

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Andoura wrote:

Where have you been for the last...year?
looll srsly i still dont know what you guys are talking about
kajukenbo_kid
+36|6434|...

iMPaCT.uK wrote:

doesnt even do anything stop crying
actually, it does do something

99% of the time i regged perfectly with these, but i still got the occasional heavy dusting on peoples head(typically this only happened when people were pinging 100+)... the chopper hitboxes were A LOT closer than what they would normally be too

rem
rem Settingsfile automatically saved by bf2
rem
SettingsManager.boolSet GSClPunkBuster 1
SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.075000
SettingsManager.boolSet GSExtrapolateFrame 0
SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 12
SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 1
SettingsManager.U32Set GSPerfLogAtPlayerCount 30
SettingsManager.stringSet GSPlayerName "kajuk3nbo"
SettingsManager.boolSet GSShowNetGraph 0
SettingsManager.boolSet GSUseObjectCache 1
Wallpaper
+303|6012|The pool
Not cheating.
Unclean009
Da Dirty Man!
+66|6670|Spokane, Washington

I wouldn't consider it cheating.
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6301|Pennsyltucky

Fallschirmjager10 wrote:

Did you get this from my ban appeal thread Pike?
Yes, it sparked MY interst in the subject.

As you know I didn't get involved in your case.

I don't know enough to have an opinion and wanted to know what others thought.

This POLL is for my own personal edification.
JetSniper
R.I.P [EPIC]Pfcguinn
+113|6355
cheating is buying a hack to give you aim bot or any of that other mess. having a joy stick or fast computer or changing your settings is not cheating but yes it does give an advantage.

net speed computer and all that stuff do too
having a faster net connection then someone else doesn't mean your cheating lol
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6458|Brisbane, Australia

kajukenbo_kid wrote:

iMPaCT.uK wrote:

doesnt even do anything stop crying
actually, it does do something

99% of the time i regged perfectly with these, but i still got the occasional heavy dusting on peoples head(typically this only happened when people were pinging 100+)... the chopper hitboxes were A LOT closer than what they would normally be too

rem
rem
So...actually hitting what you aim at is now cheating?

Riiiiiiiiiight.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
TehTacoKing
''Its nothing serious but i am bleeding badly''
+13|6007|Mountain Dew
No it makes the game better
spuddy1981
+10|6381|england
^^^ so what does all that do??   If it improves the game shouldnt that be the sort of thing in updates??
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6301|Pennsyltucky

spuddy1981 wrote:

^^^ so what does all that do??
Depends on who you ask.

92 out of 100 people say it's just a way of installing BF2 in an efficent way and it's OK to do.

Is that a fair assesment?

BTW-> Thanks to all who voted & posted.
spuddy1981
+10|6381|england
so why isnt it just how it works?
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6301|Pennsyltucky

spuddy1981 wrote:

so why isnt it just how it works?
I guess it should, it's obviously what the players want.

If you're interested there are plenty of threads to search, just no Polls aking if its OK.

In particular look up "CAL Settings" those are the settings used in a competetive environment.
aLeX
.?
+160|6349|:D

Unclean009 wrote:

I wouldn't consider it cheating.
Drexel
+43|6494|Philadelphia
If you had the choice of "depends on what you change"  I'd actually vote in this poll.

Changing the names of the guns to make it look 'l33ter,' or changing the placement of the waiting for X numbers of players text gives you no advantage at all.

Changing your latency does give an advantage, but it's because you're setting it to what your computer is supposed to have normally, so it's not cheating.  (although I've never changed it.  I bet if I did, I'd start missing TV shots cuz I'm so used to aiming at the tail)

But changing the blurred time of flashbangs/grenades/gas to have no effect, or making the nametags visible are cheating in my opinion. (there are many more things you can change that could be construed as cheating as well.

Last edited by Drexel (2007-12-19 08:25:50)

Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6166|San Antonio, Texas
So that explains why people are not affected by my flash bangs! D:<
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6596|Columbus, OH

Emil wrote:

Who was the 4 guys voting yes?
8 guys now bwhwhahahaha
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6667|Norway

kajukenbo_kid wrote:

rem
rem

To get extrapolationtime to work you have to set GSExtrapolateFrame to 1, but i wouldnt recommend doing that if this works for you, besides 12 is a bit low?
Wallpaper
+303|6012|The pool

Cyrax-Sektor wrote:

So that explains why people are not affected by my flash bangs! D:<
The disabling of the blur effect doesnt make flashbangs useless. You cant change that without a hack of some kind. All it does is makes nades not screw your vision up, or for people with shitty rigs, less lag

<------
kajukenbo_kid
+36|6434|...

Fredrik wrote:

kajukenbo_kid wrote:

rem
rem

To get extrapolationtime to work you have to set GSExtrapolateFrame to 1, but i wouldnt recommend doing that if this works for you, besides 12 is a bit low?
i did research along with testing, and extrapolateframe was something like a lag setting for people with really nice computers.  i did this all a while ago, but 90% of the people who have tweaked settings would throw in random numbers and if they played well, they assumed it worked.  which is why a lot of people think this is all placebo.  what i found was, interp was the biggest factor(same goes for the majority of games with hitboxes),  interpolation is basically the time in milliseconds(i think, pretty sure it was milliseconds) you receive an update. so in theory, the smaller the gap between updates, the closer the hitbox will be to the player model.  in cs they have restricted settings that actually change the location of the hitbox, making you harder to hit.  another factor, (which is a pretty big one) is your internet.  for registration purposes, you would actually be better off playing on a dsl connection, rather than cable(assuming you could ping decent to the server you are on) because cable loses more packets than dsl, and the more packets lost, the less info the server has about where everyone is located.

its things like this that have made bf2 bad, there were a handful of players i know of, that without "good usersettings" would not play as well.  which is why i actually stopped using these settings, and gave them to anyone who wanted them.  i only used them if i was going to play against people who i knew had tweaked shit... thats why cod4 owns, you CAN tweak your config to register a little better, but even on stock settings you will hit fine.  but none of this info is useful for cod, because cod4 has no hitboxes.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard