Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6359|West NY

Noobeater wrote:

penicillin.
That was mine *slowly swallows a sip of apple juice* ARGHHH....still not in total effect though....the pain isn't as bad though...damn strep

Last edited by Noobpatty (2007-07-07 17:17:35)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)
Me.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6560
The question mark.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6676|UK
The safety pin or the paperclip have actually been voted number one in many polls.

Best invention for me? Tits.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6637

Condoms
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

Noobeater wrote:

penicillin.
Agreed, although more of a discovery rather than invention. Refrigeration has to be ranked pretty high as well.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Smithereener
+138|6321|California

m3thod wrote:

The safety pin or the paperclip have actually been voted number one in many polls.

Would that be an invention?

How do you people view the flush toilet/sewage system in terms of importance?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

Smithereener wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Would that be an invention?

How do you people view the flush toilet/sewage system in terms of importance?
Depends on what's for dinner.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6410|North Carolina
Written language....

It took the ability to exchange ideas in a precise manner (language itself) to the next step.  With writing, things no longer had to be completely committed to memory and could be stored physically for later use and with near perfect accuracy.
Criminal
yo shut the fuck up charles
+20|6642
beer of course
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Written language....

It took the ability to exchange ideas in a precise manner (language itself) to the next step.  With writing, things no longer had to be completely committed to memory and could be stored physically for later use and with near perfect accuracy.
Another good point. The question is nearly impossible to answer with one response. Math needs to be thrown in there also... aside from commerce and trade, it led to many other discoveries and our understanding of the Universe.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6722|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

Heavy_Guns_91 wrote:

Insulin.
Have to go with this one.  That stuff has been keeping me alive and well for 18 years.
Smithereener
+138|6321|California

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Written language....

Another good point. The question is nearly impossible to answer with one response. Math needs to be thrown in there also... aside from commerce and trade, it led to many other discoveries and our understanding of the Universe.
That's true. At the time I was writing out the thread title, I was thinking of only one thing, and now that multiple good points have been made, I regret not making it "What are some inventions/discoveries that changed humanity?" *hint hint nudge nudge*
imortal
+240|6670|Austin, TX
The wheel, the wedge, and the screw.  Geometry.  Gun powder.  The printing press.  Steel.  Concrete.  Dynamite.
Smithereener
+138|6321|California

imortal wrote:

The wheel, the wedge, and the screw.  Geometry.  Gun powder.  The printing press.  Steel.  Concrete.  Dynamite.
Just curious, but why gun powder and dynamite? I can understand the others. The only real benefit I see from the two as of now is blasting rocks to make way for railroads. But that's somewhat indirect.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6523|Montucky
Fire
Hallvard
+262|6527|North Norway

Language
trackstarr
+18|6706|Swing and a miss
Water purification systems.

The survival of earth relys on  water. And clean water for us to drink
imortal
+240|6670|Austin, TX

Smithereener wrote:

imortal wrote:

Just curious, but why gun powder and dynamite? I can understand the others. The only real benefit I see from the two as of now is blasting rocks to make way for railroads. But that's somewhat indirect.
The gun was the great equalizer.  No longer could a lord ride their horse over their surfs.  Before the gun, weapons of war took money and years of training to gain profinciancy, not to mention equipment.  A man could be taught to use a gun in a day, and hit a target within a week.

Dynamite allowed us to form the earth to our wishes; to tame the very ground we tread upon.  The Panama canal.  The Suez canal.  Any tunnel or modern dam you can practically name.  New waterways, highways; methods of transportation rely on dynamite, and our civilization relies on transportation.  It also allowed these to be created using less manpower.  Less manpower means people are freed up to do other things.
Sgt.Kyle
Kyle
+48|6488|P-way, NJ
toilet
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6697|Calgary
Has to be Agriculture.
Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6349|New York
Plastic.
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
+98|6291|FIYAH FIYAH FIYAAAAAAH
Bread.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6628|Little Bentcock
penicillin

Last edited by Adams_BJ (2007-07-07 22:25:28)

Smithereener
+138|6321|California

imortal wrote:

Smithereener wrote:

imortal wrote:

The gun was the great equalizer.  No longer could a lord ride their horse over their surfs.  Before the gun, weapons of war took money and years of training to gain profinciancy, not to mention equipment.  A man could be taught to use a gun in a day, and hit a target within a week.

Dynamite allowed us to form the earth to our wishes; to tame the very ground we tread upon.  The Panama canal.  The Suez canal.  Any tunnel or modern dam you can practically name.  New waterways, highways; methods of transportation rely on dynamite, and our civilization relies on transportation.  It also allowed these to be created using less manpower.  Less manpower means people are freed up to do other things.
Interesting points. I can now see why you consider Dynamite to be an important inventions, but I'm still somewhat unconvinced on gunpowder/gun. I can kind of see where you are going with it, but in my own opinion, doesn't give enough justification for what consequences came about from it.

@Undetected_Killer
I assume you mean sliced bread?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard