kptk92
u
+972|6404|tc_london
This is what GameSpy wrote yesterday:

GameSpy wrote:

Northern Strike Distrubution
Hey there, I noticed that some people are wondering how exactly Northern Strike will be shipped? So I just wanted to let you know that Northern Strike will be available exclusively through EA Link. Source

Unlocks for People Who Have Reached General
Question 1, Im already at General so i have no more unlocks to claim, so will I automatically get all the unlocks like we did in bf2 exp.
Question 2, Will the unlocks work in vanilla BF2142 like in bf2.

Rather than earning new unlocks by climbing through the ranks, the booster pack will add 10 new badges which when received will award the player with one unlock credit each. This unlock credit can be used to unlock a standard unlock item or, if you're on top of the unlock branch, a Northern Strike unlock. The Northern Strike unlocks will be available through Field Upgrade for all users who maxed out one or more unlock trees, but only players entitled to Northern Strike can unlock them permanently. A lot of energy has been put into making the unlocks a fun and challenging experience both for the ones carrying them and for the ones not. Source

Why don't you guys fix 2142 before releasing a booster pack?
We are trying to with an upcoming patch, I don't have details on the exact date or what's specifically getting fixed. But I will share as soon as i have the info. As i said before, patch efforts are separate from development and are ongoing. Source

Price?
As to price point, the pricing should be comparable to that for the BF2 Boosters. Source

EA Link Concerns
Lastly, some of you expressed concerns/suspicions/tales of woe about ealink. I raised this concern here and I have been assured that ea link has gone through several iterations and improvements since the BF2 packs and that they are continuing to improve and streamline the service.

Hopefully this information has been helpful for you guys! Like I said, I'll try to keep you posted on whats happening as much as I am able.

On a side note: We're working on some things here for the 2142 community that i'm pretty excited about as well. Source
These should answer all your questions =]

Last edited by kptk92 (2007-01-21 06:45:19)

seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6591|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
fuckers cant just be nice and add it for free. oh well
Magius5.0
+106|6377|UMass Amherst

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Quit yer bitching.  Game development isn't cheap anymore, especially since the budget for high-profile games can go to the tens of millions of dollars, and the *average* price for each game is around fifty bucks, the industry norm since god-knows-when.  Be thankful Dice is much more dedicated to patching after BF2, and they've been taking community advice--like making everything balanced, making counters to any concievable strategy someone may use.

Edit: also, yes, the badges method to gaining awards seems pretty cool--hopefully they'll be a challenge to get, so I spend some time dedicated to that cause.

Last edited by Magius5.0 (2007-01-21 07:54:18)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6489|N. Ireland
That sucks. All non-generals cannot unlock Northern Strike unlocks, we only get them as boosters?! I do not like this idea, and I'm not even a colonel - so i doubt i'll hit up to general before i buy this / install this.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6591|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

Magius5.0 wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Quit yer bitching.  Game development isn't cheap anymore, especially since the budget for high-profile games can go to the tens of millions of dollars, and the *average* price for each game is around fifty bucks, the industry norm since god-knows-when.  Be thankful Dice is much more dedicated to patching after BF2, and they've been taking community advice--like making everything balanced, making counters to any concievable strategy someone may use.

Edit: also, yes, the badges method to gaining awards seems pretty cool--hopefully they'll be a challenge to get, so I spend some time dedicated to that cause.
i fucking know that, its just these companies are hell bent on getting money, thats all they care about, money.
samfink
+31|6551
so, ig you het enouhg field unlocks,. you can unlock the northern strike unlopcks, they qre just added at the end of the unlcok trees. basically, you can get unlpck badges, allowing youy to unlpock either a standardunl;ck or a northern strike unlock, and if you unlok a standard unlock intesd, you can get the northern strike unlock wih a standard rank-up unlock.
Samtheman53
Banned
+346|6691|UK

samfink wrote:

so, ig you het enouhg field unlocks,. you can unlock the northern strike unlopcks, they qre just added at the end of the unlcok trees. basically, you can get unlpck badges, allowing youy to unlpock either a standardunl;ck or a northern strike unlock, and if you unlok a standard unlock intesd, you can get the northern strike unlock wih a standard rank-up unlock.
LMFAO!!
Entertayner
+826|6566

-extract C:\Alcohol
Zefar
+116|6645|Sweden
Man, hate when you only can buy it through the EA link. >.> *sigh*
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6557|Southampton, UK

Zefar wrote:

Man, hate when you only can buy it through the EA link. >.> *sigh*
Fucking QFE, They should put it in stores the morons - much more buyers!!!
Dressed In Decay
+14|6533
But in the end they would probably make less money. You have to remember the shipping and packing and all those costs. Sending over the internet costs them nothing but a little bandwidth.
motherdear
+25|6647|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)

leetkyle wrote:

That sucks. All non-generals cannot unlock Northern Strike unlocks, we only get them as boosters?! I do not like this idea, and I'm not even a colonel - so i doubt i'll hit up to general before i buy this / install this.
stop bitching and read what it says.

he is asking dice if the unlocks are only for generals and they answer no you have to get a badge/booster pack to earn the unlock credit to buy the unlocks.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6616|Mhz

Magius5.0 wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Not that they've made millions from 2142 already or anything, trust me this booster has been paid for 50 times over already, they don't need to charge for it at all, but I don't expect these things will ever change..

The awards for unlocks thing is pretty dumb as well, just gonna get a hoard of braindead monkies padding their asses off for a badge (not that it's any different now I suppose).
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6459|cuntshitlake

leetkyle wrote:

You didn't get it. After you have bought NS you will get an unlock if you  a) reach a promotion  b) get the unlock award. Got it?
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Jo Barf Creepy
+27|6555

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Sure they can add it for free. All you have to do is pay $20 a month to be able to play online. Do you really want that? Think before you speak child. Perhaps you should consider taking an economics course when you grow up.
Jammyc_53
+5|6554|Newcastle-England
i don't get it, so theres 10 unlocks but to get them there are badges to get first, and that gives you credit to unlock it, but the unlock is past the main weapon on the branch and you need to get the weapon first, so basically there are 6 unlocks per branch
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6542

GameSpy wrote:

We are trying to...
LOL!
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Zukabazuka
+23|6681

Jammyc_53 wrote:

i don't get it, so theres 10 unlocks but to get them there are badges to get first, and that gives you credit to unlock it, but the unlock is past the main weapon on the branch and you need to get the weapon first, so basically there are 6 unlocks per branch
Yes so if you want to have every new unlock through field upgrade you need to brig gen, of course you don't need to get to brig gen to get them, just get to top of the tree and then you will be able to get them through field upgrade.

You guys do know that the code is huge and its not just simple to fix damn bugs.
JovesApples
+4|6449|USA

seymorebutts443 wrote:

am i not reading the article correctly?

i think it says the NS unlocks will be available to everyone as Field Upgrades, but only users with Northern Strike may unlock them permanently...

this is brilliant if true, because it would strongly signal that they intend to give the maps out in a patch for the entire community. the bonus for owners of Northern Strike would be the new awards and permanent unlocks, while the community gets 3 new maps to go into rotation on all the servers and not just 2-3 like the BF2 boosters.
SnobbyBoss
SAS Medic
+18|6736

JovesApples wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

am i not reading the article correctly?

i think it says the NS unlocks will be available to everyone as Field Upgrades, but only users with Northern Strike may unlock them permanently...

this is brilliant if true, because it would strongly signal that they intend to give the maps out in a patch for the entire community. the bonus for owners of Northern Strike would be the new awards and permanent unlocks, while the community gets 3 new maps to go into rotation on all the servers and not just 2-3 like the BF2 boosters.
I don't think so. Why would they make us pay 20$ for a couple unlocks. The maps are probably only in the booster.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6713|Riva, MD
Why is it only available through online download!?  That is the fucking STUPIDEST idea ever!  Fucking retards!
Magius5.0
+106|6377|UMass Amherst

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Not that they've made millions from 2142 already or anything, trust me this booster has been paid for 50 times over already, they don't need to charge for it at all, but I don't expect these things will ever change..
The awards for unlocks thing is pretty dumb as well, just gonna get a hoard of braindead monkies padding their asses off for a badge (not that it's any different now I suppose).
To maintain all the stats servers and do their maintenance/continued patching, yes it does cost a fair bit of money; any arguments to the contrary are naive.  Ugh...I really should just google up some rough information about just how much it costs to keep a relatively high-profile game going and updated.  I'll get back on that.

Okay, back on track: I bet ten bucks (lol, value of the booster) that they've probably already thought of this problem, and have designed the badges to either not be easily earned, or require a certain number of hours/kills/teamwork assists to gain properly.  I don't worry that much.
JovesApples
+4|6449|USA

GameSpy wrote:

The Northern Strike unlocks will be available through Field Upgrade for all users who maxed out one or more unlock trees, but only players entitled to Northern Strike can unlock them permanently.
well, this is the line i refer too...

i cant seem to find any FAQ on Gamespy... who knows.

weird that they are gonna release a Winter theme in the spring!?!

they could:

allow ALL users to Field Upgrade the unlocks and play on the maps without purchase, but those users would see advertisements on the billboards in the game.

users who purchase the booster could get the awards and permanent unlocks and see no advertisements.

this would work

dont matter to me, im getting the booster as soon as its out, 2142 FTW!

Last edited by JovesApples (2007-01-21 14:46:11)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6441|The Land of Scott Walker

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Magius5.0 wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

i fucking know that, its just these companies are hell bent on getting money, thats all they care about, money.
That would be the reason for having a business.
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6612|UCF
You morons do realize that if the Booster was sold it stores it would cost $10 more?
Things called Shipping Fees, store profit, and taxes all exist in the real world. But in the land of 1s and 0s, there are no taxes, or shipping fees, and there is no store that needs to turn a profit to stay in business.

We are trying to with an upcoming patch, I don't have details on the exact date or what's specifically getting fixed. But I will share as soon as i have the info. As i said before, patch efforts are separate from development and are ongoing. Source
There is no interviewer alive that would get anywhere asking those types of questions, this is obviously made up, and extracted from the news on the EA site.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard