Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6825
It's funny how many forum members passionately hate rap/hiphop and really have no idea what they're talking about. what's even more funny is that i've posted plenty of dance videos in the past, and people don't seem to have a problem with it, most even like it. well, you can't hate rap if you like the dance associated with it.

I want this thread to be a discussion of hiphop by people who actually understand the culture. You can review albums, recommend artists, discuss lyrics, and post youtube music and dance videos.

The four elements of hiphop: there's a lot more to it than rapping, of course.

spinning, scratching, and mixing - otherwise known as DJing. began when DJs isolated the rhythm sections of funk music and started mixing it with other musical elements to improvise new tracks on the spot. there is a lot more to being a DJ than ripping off other artists, like some people commonly believe. you are the lifeline of the performers and the crowd, and determine the pacing of everyone.

MCing - the MC started just being the guy who would introduce DJs and dancers, and the announcer if there was a battle. the more entertaining MCs gradually took on a bigger role, adding rhyme, a chorus, and a theme to his often hours long spoken session. kool herc and the herculoids was one of the first MC teams. today MCing is its own phenomenon and the thematic content as well as rhyme, meter, and cadance are far more complex than the simple four-beat structure of the seventies.

dancing - the prototypical hiphop dance is breakdancing. dancers are called bboys regardless of gender, though men far ournumber women in this style, due to its physical demands. there are generally three phases to breakdancing. you begin by grooving to the music on your feet, known as toprock/uprock, and expressing the musicality of the DJ's track. then you move to the footwork, using both hands and feet on the ground, this is called the six-step and variations. from here, you can end in a simple freeze, or move into the really flashy handstands/flares/windmills that people often associate with breakdancing. lastly, other styles like popping, locking, and house dancing are sometimes classified under the hiphop umbrella, but strictly speaking they started out in the funk movement.

graffiti - graffiti isn't exclusive to hiphop, it has been around since the ancient times. in the modern world, graffiti is usually used by dissident groups and antiestablishment types. for example, punk music fully embraces graffiti. graffiti is seen as the visual element of hiphop culture, and has gone from a form of vandalism to now being somewhat accepted as a legitimate art form. many graffiti artists now own studios and are successful artists.

the battle - while not one of the four elements, the battle is central to hiphop culture. there are battles in all four of the elements. it is this constant competition and rivalry that keeps the culture innovative and alive, thirty years after it was began, and is a unique aspect of hiphop. in order to become an accepted hiphop performer, you must participate in battles, though you don't necessarily have to win.

Last edited by Krappyappy (2007-01-07 11:51:24)

Uncle Mombassa
+13|6332|Mombassa
old hip hop/rap = best = N.W.A
d.cripz
+29|6414
Can people list rap artists that arent so "famous". I like finding artists that arent on TV and shit kind of like  Immortal Technique.
HSG
+23|6479|British Columbia, Canada
Snoop Dogg and Dr.Dre
Madhadda1
+270|6549|Cedar Rapids, Iowa
only rap i respect is gym class heros good lyrics not talking about gang banging my bitch or hoe. its how rap should be not these dumbass'  "outa da hood"
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6825
if you don't have anything to say then don't post. simply saying 'TI and the GAME' or 'snoop dog and dr dre' is completely useless.

at least say why you like them, what songs you like, something more than 4 words.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6478|Kakanien
gangstarr (best hip hop lp ever, moment of truth)
mos def
wu-tang
royce 5 9

i also like masta ace, defari, nas, talib kweli, pete rock, dilated and of course french hip hop (i am/shurik'n, faf larage etc.)
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6534|Global Command
Take the "C" outta crap and what do you have?
Uncle Mombassa
+13|6332|Mombassa
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/56/Pacsnoopsuge.jpg
huh, i do like 2 pac and snoop dog but... what the fuck is he wearing (tupac)

Last edited by Uncle Mombassa (2007-01-07 12:07:40)

RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6542|Chicago

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

mos def
wu-tang
royce 5 9

i also like masta ace, defari, nas, talib kweli, pete rock, dilated and of course french hip hop (i am/shurik'n, faf larage etc.)
A) Moment of Truth = Awesome. Probably the first rap I've ever listened to, and I love it.
B) I'm a big fan of Rage Against the Machine. I know they're not "rap" per se, but it's pretty sweet.
C) Did you steal the term "Karkand is my Karkand." from me?
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6542|Chicago

Uncle Mombassa wrote:

what the fuck is he wearing (tupac)
First I thought it was a kevlar vest, but now I think it looks like some sort of leather bondage gear. Tupac's getting kinkyyy.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6825

Uncle Mombassa wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … opsuge.jpg
huh, i do like 2 pac and snoop dog but... what the fuck is he wearing (tupac)
lol... that's his gangsta garter

i like blackstar too. mos def and taleb kweli both got good sounds.

yeah i like rage against the machine too. tom morello makes some weird ass shit on his guitar.

Last edited by Krappyappy (2007-01-07 12:12:06)

jermyang
I've Seen the Saucers.
+38|6744|Norcal, usa
kevin federline
LawL!
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6760

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Yup one of the best.Chck sig.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6825
i just went to the out for fame regional breakdancing championships last night.

there was much getting down and many people were ill.
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6760
Well the only international bboy jam I've been to was Battle of the Year 2003. It was great seeing dancers from all around the world. And about 70% out of the 5000 spectators were dancers too. That was one of the best nights ever.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6637

T.I. I Like My Beat Down Low!!!!!! FTW!
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6825

(HUN)Rudebwoy wrote:

Well the only international bboy jam I've been to was Battle of the Year 2003. It was great seeing dancers from all around the world. And about 70% out of the 5000 spectators were dancers too. That was one of the best nights ever.
that sounds like a blast. where was it held? are you a bboy yourself? with the sig and everything....

i'm looking forward to going to a funk style battle. i've always liked to see good poppers.

Last edited by Krappyappy (2007-01-07 13:10:48)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6654
I am big cool gangster and I are l337. ;P
Chief_(OwNaGe)
+46|6449

ATG wrote:

Uhh...I am pretty sure the title says "[Haters keep out]". Eminem/50 cent are my favorite.
Madhadda1
+270|6549|Cedar Rapids, Iowa
https://mitglied.lycos.de/spoc208/gangster.jpg

this probably would be my favorite rap group. its called the c-strike homies
there pretty hardcore shit
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6760

Krappyappy wrote:

(HUN)Rudebwoy wrote:

that sounds like a blast. where was it held? are you a bboy yourself? with the sig and everything....

i'm looking forward to going to a funk style battle. i've always liked to see good poppers.
Since 2000 the Battle of the Years International finals are held in Braunschweig, Germany.
Well unfortunately i WAS a bboy. Had to quit because of numerous reasons. I danced for about 4 years. Participated at local jams a few times. I hope that the bboy scene is much more pure where u at than here...

Keep on Rockin'

P.S.:  Amazing power skills: Kim Yeon Soo aka The End Korea / Gambler Crew:

Great toprock/footwork and style: bboy Medhi Fantastik Armada / France:

Last edited by (HUN)Rudebwoy (2007-01-07 13:54:13)

Chief_(OwNaGe)
+46|6449

BALLIN

Last edited by Chief_(OwNaGe) (2007-01-07 13:24:30)

-=CB=-krazykarl
not always PWD, but usually.
+95|6541|Carlsbad, CA, USA

ATG wrote:

Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6825
lockers hilty & bosch

Last edited by Krappyappy (2007-01-07 19:54:47)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard