Do you hate rap?

yes59%59% - 232
nah40%40% - 158
Total: 390
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6603

lord_tyler_486 wrote:

Wow this poll started an unexpected discussion about how stupid rap is and that it is no real music and that it's only about an idiot who can't sing for shit killing niggas. I'd like to hear more people's opinions [which are not part of bf2s]

For now, it seems like most bf2 players highly dislike rap for several reasons, but I rarely see replies who actually like rap for a mentioned reason. Looks like there are not many. 75 people voted that they don't hate rap, some of them told that they even like it. Why? We've seen why people do not like rap at all, but on the other side what makes rap better than other "music" styles?
When it has a good rhythm and the beats are there and the rapper can actually flow and makes sense and doesn't start saying "uh uh yeah uh cmon yeh what what uh huh cmon uh huh" for the entire song and isn't some wack ass mtv sellout then it has a chance of me liking it.

I was in the pits at "metal" shows saying shit like "rap sucks" long before I ever gave it a chance.

I like bass. I like good beats. I like when rappers can flow and have intelligent lyrics. There is hip hop that has better rhythm than a lot of heavy music and you can actually feel it.

When I say heavy i'm talking Pig Destroyer, not wussy slipknot. I still listen to heavier music more than rap. AND I DON'T LISTEN TO MAINSTREAM RAP.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
kiteboarderni
+62|6737

PBAsydney wrote:

Fuck rap

METAL FTW!
yip. RAP=Retards attempting poetry
Warstarz
+11|6489

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

I like when rappers... have intelligent lyrics.
Good luck finding that.

I listen to music that takes talent. Some forms of rock like emo where they play the same thing over and over for 4 minutes and sing about nothing or death metal where they growl and put on the distortion to mask their shittyness. The thing is, rap is even worse. At least in an emo band you have to learn how to play instruments and actually have a voice and in death metal it's the same thing (minus the "having a voice"). Rap is completely talentless. In fact, I'm taking audio engineering and know how to make rap songs. If anyone here knows how it works, it's me. And I KNOW that it doesn't take much.

I had to make a song for a project. Since rap was easiest, I chose it. I hopped on the latest version of Fruity Loops and made a simple beat (which was more complex than a LOT of famous rap songs IMO) and then wrote some shitty lyrics that rhymed. After doing that, I got some guy to rap (basically talk to the beat) and then I was done. Took me 3 days.

Now, I also help my cousin with his rock band. They're not the best in the world but I think the time it takes to learn the guitar, learn how to sing good, learn how to play the bass, and learn how to play the drums AND write good lyrics all while constructing a guitar solo strategically placed in the song is a tad more difficult.

I hate rap because people make money off of this effortless crap and people like my cousin (maybe those a little more talented) don't make shit. It's because of those people that are mesmerized by a loud beat and lyrics you can barely understand that this shit is actually popular.
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6712|Cambridge, England
Rap is crap. (with skills like that i could be a world famous rapper)
Not
Great success!
+216|6634|Chandler, AZ

james@alienware wrote:

Yes, I hate rap.

- - - - -

I hate the way rappers think they are musicians and have talent (I admit, I'm sure some do) but the generalization is that they can talk into a mic for prolonged periods of time which isn't either of the above.

I feel cheated that they are living a good life (from the money) where as real musicians (people who play instruments, sing well) do not get the appreciation they  deserve.

I understand that some people enjoy listening to someone talking over a backing track but I think that the people who actually play in that backing track should at least half of the money: and that's forgetting about the appreciation and praise.

N.B. I am not saying that most musicians want money because I'm sure that most (me included) play for enjoyment, however I do think they need to be recognized more.
1. Talent? Ok, try writing a rhyme that has syllable matches over 16 bars and doesn't sound like complete shit. Also, you can't have a voice that sounds ridiculous either, so good luck.

2. Garage bands that scream = able to sing well? Last I heard Faith Hill was doing pretty well for herself. It's not as if people with singing talent don't make money, and it's not as if they could write a decent rap to save their lives either. It's two different talents, one is not greater than the other.

3. I understand that some people enjoy listening to the loudest guitar possible while some reject makes sounds like a dying giraffe into a microphone/talks about how hardcore he is for almost killng himself like an emo. Also, do you have any idea what a producer is? You talk about people who play the instruments getting half the money. Buddy, Scott Storch makes $80,000 PER SONG, base, that he produces, and most of the royalties from it go to him as well. The producers make MOST of the money, not the artist. That's how the rap game works.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6603

Warstarz wrote:

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

Good luck finding that.

I listen to music that takes talent. Some forms of rock like emo where they play the same thing over and over for 4 minutes and sing about nothing or death metal where they growl and put on the distortion to mask their shittyness. The thing is, rap is even worse. At least in an emo band you have to learn how to play instruments and actually have a voice and in death metal it's the same thing (minus the "having a voice"). Rap is completely talentless. In fact, I'm taking audio engineering and know how to make rap songs. If anyone here knows how it works, it's me. And I KNOW that it doesn't take much.

I had to make a song for a project. Since rap was easiest, I chose it. I hopped on the latest version of Fruity Loops and made a simple beat (which was more complex than a LOT of famous rap songs IMO) and then wrote some shitty lyrics that rhymed. After doing that, I got some guy to rap (basically talk to the beat) and then I was done. Took me 3 days.

Now, I also help my cousin with his rock band. They're not the best in the world but I think the time it takes to learn the guitar, learn how to sing good, learn how to play the bass, and learn how to play the drums AND write good lyrics all while constructing a guitar solo strategically placed in the song is a tad more difficult.

I hate rap because people make money off of this effortless crap and people like my cousin (maybe those a little more talented) don't make shit. It's because of those people that are mesmerized by a loud beat and lyrics you can barely understand that this shit is actually popular.

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

AND I DON'T LISTEN TO MAINSTREAM RAP.
Good rappers don't use fruity loops. Just because your plucking guitar strings doesn't automatically mean your talented. I've heard rap with guitars in it. And frankly, verse chorus verse format is old and it sucks. Just because all you've ever heard is P.Diddy stealing somebody elses song and putting "uh uh wuh yeh uh" over it or you just don't have an ear for good rap doesn't mean it all sucks and every rapper on earth is talentless.

The same baseless assumptions can be made about anything. Bon Jovi sucks so all music with guitars must suck.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Not
Great success!
+216|6634|Chandler, AZ

Warstarz wrote:

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

Good luck finding that.

I'd love to hear your rap song.

You're confusing the ability to do something, and the ability to do it well. Your song would never sell, and you'd be laughed at. Probably the same way your cousin's band would. Anyone can write a song and sing. Anyone can write a rap too. The difference is in quality. I could go write a country western song right now just like you wrote your rap and it would suck equally as bad, and neither of us would land a contract. As far as "Not being able to understand them" goes....Maybe you're just too old, or please pardon me but there's no tactful way to say it, too caucasian. You may lack the natural sense of style and rhythm that appeals to people who enjoy rap. I'm not trying to take a dig at anyone, I've just noticed that a lot of people who don't like rap, don't like it because they talk like Tom Brokaw and can't understand a single word of slang to save their lives. IMO, rock takes no more talent than rap does, and I'll back up my claim just as well as you've backed up yours.

Last edited by Not (2007-01-07 10:32:38)

|=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo.
+26|6440|California
Yes I hate rap, its not even music, its babble, nothing more than crap, I absolutely hate it, they talk about guns and they can't talk about anything else but Glocks, AR15's and AK47's as if those were the only 3 gun types in the world, they say they're tough and all but can only go against someone in group, they wear clothes that only fit clowns, they think the jewelry they wear is cool, etc, etc. I'd like to see all rap, hip-hop, and reggae performers dead , not to mention they never have something intelligent to say in their lyrics, it's always "shorty", "yo", "kill", "wangsta" (wtf is wangsta?!), "gangsta", "kill", "bling", etc. Yep, retarded. Not to mention they ruin every car they buy with those ridiculous 'spinner' rims which IMO are stupid and worthless, they also say they're 'gangsters', pffft, yeah right, owning a handgun doesn't make you one, I bet if they saw a real Mobster like the ones in the old days they would crap their pants!

https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/p_ventura18/a535_thumb.gif

Last edited by |=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo. (2007-01-07 10:35:34)

Not
Great success!
+216|6634|Chandler, AZ
How's your emo band doing Cuju? You're definitely not a backwater redneck at all.

Last edited by Not (2007-01-07 10:34:53)

|=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo.
+26|6440|California

Not wrote:

How's your emo band doing Cuju? You're definitely not a backwater redneck at all.
So I'm emo for not listening to rap or hip-hop? Man, I'd say I'm smart for not listening to that brain rotting crap.
Not
Great success!
+216|6634|Chandler, AZ
Ok then what exactly do you listen to that would enrich my brain by listening to?

Go find some Immortal Technique, Common, Ras Kass, Atmosphere (White guys from Minnesota, locals, blowin up huge right now), Eyedea etc. I get the feeling you've heard Daddy Yankee a few too many times. If that's the case, I'd be voting to kill em' all too. But I know better.

Your new edit about the "Mobsters" proves you're wearing flannel, probably without pants on right now in the presence of family. Holy shit. Either that or you're 15.

So you've never heard any good rap because you don't listen to good rap. What a surprise. I happen to know a few guys myself trying to get into the rap game, and they probably won't. But they wouldn't back down from a man on Earth, sorry to ruin your redneck Godfather loving fantasy world. They also have 10 year prison sentences behind them to prove it. So keep talking about shit you know nothing about, you're doin great.

Last edited by Not (2007-01-07 10:43:01)

Warstarz
+11|6489
iNeedUrFace4Soup and Not, you are both correct. Just plucking strings is NOT talent. I agree which is why I share my hatred towards emo and death metal (although, in my initial post, i did not state that. Doh)

Not, you are right, my song will not sell because I put no effort whatsoever in it. However, if I got with some guys and was serious about it, I bet I could make it somewhat famous. In fact, the reason they had the class do this is because they were gonna take the 5 best tracks from my class and make a CD from it (other songs from other classes). Of course, I know mine won't be picked but there are some that sound like the real deal. We have a recording studio and better beat-making programs that the more dedicated people used.

I disagree that rock and rap need the same amount of talent.

Let's compare (ragarding the rock side, I'm talking about the TALENTED rock bands like the scorpions and hendrix and judas priest, not my chemical romance and breaking benjamin)

singing: rap- non-existant | rock- takes a VERY good voice that not a lot of people have

music: rap- recorded beats and some with simple  guitar or drums | rock- various instruments mostly played by "experts" in their respective field.

Lyrics-wise, rap does good in writing lyrics. Everything rhymes and does it well. However, some would agree that they don't sing about things outside of gang violence or love but that's not arguable as a lot of rock sings about the same thing (maybe not GANG violence but killing). Rock spans a wide variety of lyrics and has all kinds of subjects.

In my opinion, it would be much more difficult to become a famous TALENTED rock band than it would to become a famous rap group. I mean, some rock band members practice their entire lives  from when their age was in the single digits. Rap group members start in their late teens/20s and all they practice is the "coolest" beat or their lyric-writing.
|=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo.
+26|6440|California

Not wrote:

Ok then what exactly do you listen to that would enrich my brain by listening to?

Go find some Immortal Technique, Common, Ras Kass, Atmosphere (White guys from Minnesota, locals, blowin up huge right now), Eyedea etc. I get the feeling you've heard Daddy Yankee a few too many times. If that's the case, I'd be voting to kill em' all too. But I know better.
I listen to:

*Metal (although not much really).
*Alternative.
*Alternative Rock.
*New Age (Enigma, etc).
*Classic Rock.
*Classical.
*Trance (my personal fav.)
*House.
*Electronic.
*Punk Rock.
*Music from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's.

Etc. Among others. So pretty much a bit of everything.
Chief_(OwNaGe)
+46|6501

kiteboarderni wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

Fuck rap

METAL FTW!
Yea that sad excuse for a joke has been said about 5 times in this thread already. Prove to us that all of you who have said that can right better poetry. Rap FTW!
mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6597|The Lost Highway

jsnipy wrote:

Yeah what about bands like Korn and Linkin Park ... what do haterz think of them?
They suck.

Sir Aidyn Sage wrote:

acidkiller187 wrote:

There are some songs that I will listen to, but very "FEW".
I hate Rap but I will listen to some OLD SKOOL   like Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Fat Boys, and I also like ISP, BUt when you refer TO  2Punk , or Snoop who one made the comment on Howard Stern, "If you're White and you invite me into your house I will rob you blind."  not a chance in hell that I would ever buy one of this cds.

This aint music this is garbage, and you can throw this crap in with both types of country and western and opera too....
Country, and the blues laid the foundation for Rock and Roll. Anyone knows that. As far as Opera... Real music, but not my preference. Metalheads/rock fans like you are ignorant. You probably don't even listen to Slayer, fag. You probably listen to the same shit as this dude:

IsaacLeavitt wrote:

i listen to hard rock: Godsmack, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Staind, Stone Sour, Hinder, Nickleback... and others

Rock owns rap...
Anyways, rap sucks. I can dig NWA, Public Enemy, and old Three Six Mafia, before Emo kids got into that shit, and they stopped talkin' about rape and Satan. Now they're generic corporate weaksauce, like 50 cent, and 99% of the other rappers out there.
Not
Great success!
+216|6634|Chandler, AZ

Warstarz wrote:

I disagree that rock and rap need the same amount of talent.

Let's compare (ragarding the rock side, I'm talking about the TALENTED rock bands like the scorpions and hendrix and judas priest, not my chemical romance and breaking benjamin)

singing: rap- non-existant | rock- takes a VERY good voice that not a lot of people have

music: rap- recorded beats and some with simple  guitar or drums | rock- various instruments mostly played by "experts" in their respective field.

Lyrics-wise, rap does good in writing lyrics. Everything rhymes and does it well. However, some would agree that they don't sing about things outside of gang violence or love but that's not arguable as a lot of rock sings about the same thing (maybe not GANG violence but killing). Rock spans a wide variety of lyrics and has all kinds of subjects.

In my opinion, it would be much more difficult to become a famous TALENTED rock band than it would to become a famous rap group. I mean, some rock band members practice their entire lives  from when their age was in the single digits. Rap group members start in their late teens/20s and all they practice is the "coolest" beat or their lyric-writing.
Alright we can get somewhere with this.

1st I agree with your assessment of good rock, it's nice to know you're not lame. =P

Alright, singing:

Most people don't have a voice for rap. Think about it, if Woody Allen tried to rap, it'd sound ridiculous wouldn't it? These days all you have to do is sound like the lead singer from Creed to be in a rock band. It's a very easy voice to do, and a lot of bands are doing it. Rap may not have the same harmonies and melodies as rock, but to say that you don't need a good voice to rap is simply incorrect. The voice is in fact one of the most important aspects of rap music. For an example, try to find some very old stuff by Eyedea. He's amazingly lyrically talented, but his voice was terrible. Then listen to DMX or 2pac. Two of the best voices in rap, period. That's one reason why they sell, they sounds good.

Lyrics:

Yes, gangsta rap is repetitive. But like you said about rock, people generalize that breaking benjamin/my chemical romance shit as rock. Would you call me an idiot if I thought all rock was about was giving yourself whiplash like a fuckin retard and singing about how your girlfriend left you and you cut your wrists? Of course, but that's all I hear on the radio so why should I believe anything different? Same goes for rap of course. It's not anyone's fault but the producers and radio execs who don't give rappers like Slug from Atmosphere, or Immortal Technique more air time.

Timing:

What proof do you have that rappers all start in their late teens or early 20's? I've known guys that rapped in 1st grade. If you don't live immersed in that culture, then of course you don't know anything about it. Again, not by anyone's fault, it's just a lack of exposure.

I'm serious, download a few songs by Atmosphere and you'll understand.
Nintendogamer
+72|6644|Chelmsford, UK
Rap- all the music videos are the same, some black chav with his girlfriend who he calls his "hoe or Bitch" meet some other black chavs that start dancing towards them and he out dances them and they run for their lives and he starts making out with his girlfriend.

punk rock ftw
|=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo.
+26|6440|California

Nintendogamer wrote:

Rap- all the music videos are the same, some black chav with his girlfriend who he calls his "hoe or Bitch" meet some other black chavs that start dancing towards them and he out dances them and they run for their lives and he starts making out with his girlfriend.

punk rock ftw
Yeah rappers are a lot dumber than Mentally retarded people. Take 50-Cent for example, 1st of all his name, he probably got the idea when he got change after buying a soda, 2nd, he wears a bulletproof vest, which is a type 1 to begin with (only stops 9mm's and low caliber like .22), so now EVERYONE knows they have to aim at his giant head or buy a .357 revolver, .50AE handgun, 7mm rifle, 7.62mm rifle, etc. In order to successfully puncture his vest and kill him yep, retard.

Last edited by |=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo. (2007-01-07 11:02:35)

kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6822|Toronto Canada
Metal = Lame

Underground hip hop = amazing

Immortal Technique
Cunninlynguists
Jedi Mind Tricks
|=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo.
+26|6440|California

Chief_(OwNaGe) wrote:

kiteboarderni wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

Fuck rap

METAL FTW!
Yea that sad excuse for a joke has been said about 5 times in this thread already. Prove to us that all of you who have said that can right better poetry. Rap FTW!
Yeah but it's true, rappers suck at poetry.
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6822|Toronto Canada
Metal is for flamers who were abused as children
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6877
this thread is full of ignorance.

90% of responses are about gangsta rap.

saying you hate rap because you hate gangsta rap is like saying you hate metal because you hate satanic lyrics. it only describes a small portion of the genre and only shows that you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
|=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo.
+26|6440|California

Not wrote:

Your new edit about the "Mobsters" proves you're wearing flannel, probably without pants on right now in the presence of family. Holy shit. Either that or you're 15.

So you've never heard any good rap because you don't listen to good rap. What a surprise. I happen to know a few guys myself trying to get into the rap game, and they probably won't. But they wouldn't back down from a man on Earth, sorry to ruin your redneck Godfather loving fantasy world. They also have 10 year prison sentences behind them to prove it. So keep talking about shit you know nothing about, you're doin great.
Any type of rap is crap, and now I'm not emo but a redneck for not listening to rap? Pfft, man you have some serious issues or you're either retarded, I'm not one of those guys who idolize the Mafia or any criminal activity for that matter like you do. And who the hell has the 10y sentence? Your friends? See, you idolize rappers and their criminal activities, let me guess, you're from the 'ghetto'? Ha, what a dumbass, you've called me a redneck and an emo so far, both times you've got it wrong, however you're a Wigger, and there's no changing that, how sad must your life be that you wish to be from another race .
Warstarz
+11|6489
I agree that rap doesn't get famous off of singing per-se, but that's just it. They have a good voice but they are nothing compared to Rob Halford or Ripper Owens (Newest Iced Earth album). In rap, if your voice flows with the music, it's great. In rock however, your voice needs to do that AND be higher and better than the rest, thus making it more difficult and making the singer more talented.

When I mean lyrics, I'm talking about the more famous stuff and also in regards to rock. I could mention Crimson Glory or Holocaust but I'm sticking to the more famous ones. I'm sure there is rap out there that is better than what is getting airtime but I need not mention such a small margin.

Regarding timing, I don't have any proof. But, with rap, what you do when you're young and when you're old is basically the same thing. When you're 6, you really can't hop on the computer or mixer and make a beat. But you can in your later years which is why I mentioned that. With instruments like the guitar, you may just as well play like you did when you were 12, it all comes down to practice with that.

I may say however, like politics and religion, this debate may just be impossible to be right or wrong in. People have their own opinions and sometimes that cannot be changed. But Not, I'll continue if you do. I love debating.
|=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo.
+26|6440|California
Rappers have no real talent, with practice anyone can Rhyme, however the quality of voice of singers in bands like Metallica, Pink Floyd, etc. Cannot be compared to some loser who got rich by Rhyming crap .

Last edited by |=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo. (2007-01-07 11:16:41)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard