DivineMomentofTruth
+88|6443
The following was taken from a post I had made before the 1.2 patch came out and increased the L85's damage. The thread, which can be found on the PBF forums, was titled "Most Underrated and Potentially Best Post 1.2 Patch Assault Rifle". With so much time passed since this critical change was made after 1.2, I found that alot more people have begun to realize the potential of the L85. I've found that alot more people are using it now compared to the g36e which was so dominant in the past. The essence of my predicitions about this gun have come true as well as my conclusion that the L85 is theoretically the best rifle in the game. Here's the post.

Most Underrated and Potentially Best Post 1.2 Patch Assault Rifle

I find it very upsetting that no one has even tried to make a case for possibly THE MOST underated gun: the l85. Whenever I play medic which is 95% of the time, I choose the l85 95% of the time. Why you might ask? Quite simply because it is the best assault rifle in the game.

Now before you all start flaming consider this. Take a look at my global ranking under assualt rifles. What's that... number 5? Now take a look at assault rifle accuracy... what's that 27? Ok now that we've established that this is no noob speaking, I can give you my reasons as to why l85 is the superior assault rifle. As far as the statistics go, which I will not overemphasize, the damage per shot is equal to that of the G36E. Now the kicker with the l85 is that it has the best scope barring any sniper rifles. When used properly at mid and long range the scope gives a user significant advantage over any other rifle. While many will argue that full auto on this gun is garbage, these people have also failed to undertake the steep learning curve that is required for skillfull aiming on the l85. In fact, I NEVER take the gun off of full auto.

The trick to the gun is learning how the burst scatters. This gun's slower rate of fire(compared to G36E) allows the user to make single fire shots with mere taps of the mouse. Now considering that the first two shots are fairly accurate, add the scope that enables headshot precision and you are left with one hell of a gun. Now I'm not here to argue that the l85 owns the G36E because it doesn't, but I will argue that in the right hands(mine in particular) the gun will hold its own. Now to make my final point about the l85.

Now the biggest criticism of the l85 has to be its close range capability. While I will say it isnt as good as the G36E in the area, once again it CAN be effective. When using the l85 at close range bursting is done quite differently than in long to mid range. You first have to know (and this comes only from experience) how the l85's full auto burst scatters while unzoomed. After pracicing bursting at close range with this gun, you will realize that the first 3-4 bullets are accurate enough to hit your target. Now keeping mind cone of fire and deviation standing vs. crouching along with funky aiming due to movement, the recipe to close quarters domination is this:

Note: this example is the technique to be used against a running or standing target a close quarters.

Once again, unzoomed, direct the first bullet of the burst towards the opponent's torso area. Now if you pull your aim up barely to the guy's neck/chest area right after releasing the burst, your second shot should him in the head, doing immense damage. Now your third and fourth shots may have hit the body at some place and usually this is enough for the kill. However in the case of armored targets you have the option of either: desperately trying to land another burst by continuing into a spray, or making your initial burst a bit tigher and pausing for a fraction of a moment to acquire accuracy and rebursting.

Now considering what can be done with this gun at the moment, I think it will no longer be even a question as to which gun will be better after the patch. Since they will be improving the L85's accuracy(meaning that most likely the deviation added per shot will go down), it will have an even tighter cone of fire which will enable players who already know how to use it to utterly dominate. And thats all...

Last edited by DivineMomentofTruth (2006-10-08 19:07:04)

BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6752|Chicago.
Good post. Well thought out, and made sense.

I agree. +1 for you.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6721|California

You used paragraphs, props for that.
Fab_1963
+11|6412|In the middle of Nowhere
nICE POST so ill give u +1
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6721|California

DivineMomentofTruth wrote:

your second shot should him in the head, doing immense damage.
No shit?
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6624|Camp XRay

stryyker wrote:

Also correct punctuation and capitalization. You sir def deserve a cookie.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Longbow
+163|6648|Odessa, Ukraine
love the L85 , It's a pitty I cant pick up it being assault .
Maj.Do
+85|6753|good old CA
Yeap the L85 is the best assault rifle.  I dont play bf2 that much anymore but when i did, i always picked the l85
Longbow
+163|6648|Odessa, Ukraine

Maj.Do wrote:

Yeap the L85 is the best assault rifle.  I dont play bf2 that much anymore but when i did, i always picked the l85
The best are stocks . L85\96 are best unlocks .
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6650
wots up with all the borat stuff
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6654
somebody said M16?
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6567|England

I love the L85...was my first unlock and have always used it. The 36E sucks ass, and the only other medic gun Im fond of is the AK47. M16 is ok, but Id take the L85 over it in most situations. Or the FAMAS on EF
It is also the only non-sniper rifle with which you can take on snipers at sniper range - and often beat them. Perfect for Mashtuur and Wake. Love it.
Your analysis of it at close range is very true, it takes practise to use it at close range. In 123hours of medic, Ive used the L85 for approx 110 of that time. Close range isnt easy and you cant expect to win every time. But with your single shot supreme accuracy, you cant go wrong on medium-long range.

In fact, since Ive stopped playing medic and started playing assault...my accuracy for assault rifles has dropped considerably (20.2% to 19.69% )....stopped with the L85 and started with the M16/AK/F2000/G3. Odd since the L85 is "supposedly" the most inaccurate and shittest rifle
J=MAN
+25|6659|OZ
I call the L85A1 the "Bullshit Gun", because whenever I get taken down by a where-the-hell-did-that-come-from single-shot winner, 9 times out of 10 it was from a L85A1.

It was my first unlock, but I've used it only sporadically since unlocking the you-know-what, although reading your post has made me want to dust it off and take it for a spin!

+1
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6592|Reisterstown, MD

I still think the m16 and g36E are better than the L8.  The only map I will use the L8 is mastuur for the long range "sniping".  Other than that, the m16 is just better and the g36E is more powerful...And we won't even get into how great the AK 101 is...

Last edited by killer21 (2006-10-08 18:27:54)

Tetn1s
+59|6643|Los Angeles
Although your opinion is totally reasonable. I think the G3 is better than the L85A1.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/Flaming_Maniac/chocolate-chip-cookies-480.jpg
Lots of cookies and karma for you my friend.

L85 IMO is equivelent to CS one deag skill.
StormEye
Sniper
+50|6646|Malibu
Finally someone who can write a post in proper English.
w00stafa
Krylov Whore
+35|6559|AK101 Factory
Good points, +1 is in the mail.
The same can be said about any assault rifle though; in the right hands it's the "best" weapon for that person, from the times i've had the "wtf that come from" death from the l85, i'd guess it was user friendly, but if you know your weapon well enough, e.g bullet drop on m24/where to aim ironsight (ew) on ak101 then any assault rifle/weapon will be best.

Quick side note - anyone else reckon the m16 has been secretly nerfed???
Sgt.Gene
+215|6765
I just started using the L85 2 days ago. Since then my K/D had gone up ALOT! It is a very powerful and accurate gun.
vedds
+52|6756|Christchurch New Zealand

killer21 wrote:

I still think the m16 and g36E are better than the L8.  The only map I will use the L8 is mastuur for the long range "sniping".  Other than that, the m16 is just better and the g36E is more powerful...And we won't even get into how great the AK 101 is...
Goddammit i wouldnt normally be this pedantic but seeing as you dont mind being harsh to people:

The variant used in BF2 is called the L85 A1, NOT the L8 not the L8-5a1 whatever. Get it into your head muppet.
L85 or L85A1

so you are aware the L8 was a variant of the Lee-Enfield SMLE no4 chambered for 7.62 NATO

Edit: SA80 is also fine

Last edited by vedds (2006-10-08 19:22:30)

Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6707
+1
Of course I still prefer the AK 101.

Last edited by Deadmonkiefart (2006-10-08 19:22:35)

Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon
you bring your 85, i'll bring an AK.  The 85 is good, better than any 16 or 36e but only when an AK is unavailable.  nothing beats the overall knockdown power of an AK except for the G3 but that only has 20 rounds per mag.  it all comes down to the situation and personal preference.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
Whenever I am medic, L85A1 all the way. Always...
dubbs
+105|6633|Lexington, KY

Marlboroman82 wrote:

stryyker wrote:

Also correct punctuation and capitalization. You sir def deserve a cookie.
But he lacks the skill of using a spell checker.
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6592|Reisterstown, MD

vedds wrote:

Goddammit i wouldnt normally be this pedantic but seeing as you dont mind being harsh to people:

The variant used in BF2 is called the L85 A1, NOT the L8 not the L8-5a1 whatever. Get it into your head muppet.
L85 or L85A1

so you are aware the L8 was a variant of the Lee-Enfield SMLE no4 chambered for 7.62 NATO

Edit: SA80 is also fine
I seriously do not give a rat's left testicle what the "variant" of the L8 is.  I honestly don't care because this is a game, not a lesson in weaponry.  But thanks for the laugh rookie. 

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard