I know there's something out there..16%16% - 71
Nothing is out there14%14% - 65
Total: 436
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6832

{A.K.A}LordBeefman wrote:

EricTViking wrote:

I voted atheist because:

3. God whether he exists or not has had more misery and bloodshed caused in his name than anyone else.

Richard Dawkins for Prime Minister!

...or David Icke, I'm not fussed ;-)
as to point 3 this so called bloodshed is done by man not understanding the bible so you can not hold God to ransom or blame of mans shear stupidity of killing each other they are lead by other men who are war mongers
Then god should have made the bible clearer or us less stupid.
dlbenson1979
Mr. 20,000
+23|6477
I need to throw in my 2c's here. I vote "yes, i believe but don't go to church" Here's my truth on this though......

I am a logical man by nature, so I would find it easy to back evolution (and I do for the most part), but I also know that there is something out there that makes every person different.

Case study in point: If you were to have a group of people living in a area where they had no contact of the religions and issues of the world from birth, they would still manage to love and hate each other(among other feelings). I mean, if person A hits person B with something (because they dont' know better) and person A cries. That image will have an impact on person B. (could be good or bad).

I guess I really don't know where I'm going on this. I believe in science. But I also believe that there are some things that just can't happen on science alone.
Krysiss
+15|6477|NL

leetkyle wrote:

I personally do. You? Please state WHY you chose whatever it is you chose.

I believe in Christianity and so forth..
add option.

I don't really know what to believe.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6668|NT, like Mick Dundee

I'm a christian. Don't feel any need to go to a church to "prove" it. For the first 6 years of my life I had Catholisism rammed down my throat (which doesn't do much for you on the whole conversion to the faith thing) then I was put into the public school system . Changed my perspective after a couple of years.

Last edited by Flecco (2006-08-29 10:29:23)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
dalexa
+4|6608|portugal

dlbenson1979 wrote:

but I also know that there is something out there that makes every person different.

Case study in point: If you were to have a group of people living in a area where they had no contact of the religions and issues of the world from birth, they would still manage to love and hate each other(among other feelings). I mean, if person A hits person B with something (because they dont' know better) and person A cries. That image will have an impact on person B. (could be good or bad).

I guess I really don't know where I'm going on this. I believe in science. But I also believe that there are some things that just can't happen on science alone.
that has to do with the experience that every single person goes through, the hability of learning and the reactions to what he had learn... what in this is not explained by science? bigger brains... better brains... nothing in the whole word is an exact copy from another... everything is different and that is what makes us all so different from one another...
we do have one thing that is similar to everyone... like any other predator, do you know that every single person is able to and will kill if needed? most of them just don't do it because they are afraid of the consequences...

like i've said... it's all in the brain, how you get the info and how you process it... just pure chemestry...

Last edited by dalexa (2006-08-29 10:29:19)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6532|Global Command

Spark wrote:

That would come under 'Animism', yes? Not trying to insult you or anything, but on a 'trident' or major world religions, animism goes at the very bottom (meaning its the oldest)
I just don't understand the people that think human alone have spirituality.
Whacked.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6558

ATG wrote:

Spark wrote:

That would come under 'Animism', yes? Not trying to insult you or anything, but on a 'trident' or major world religions, animism goes at the very bottom (meaning its the oldest)
I just don't understand the people that think human alone have spirituality.
Whacked.
I agree in principle. Although I don't believe in 'the soul' or 'the spirit' I have to say that if you do believe in such concepts then why would all other animate sentient beings be precluded from having same? It doesn't make logical sense.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6688|United States of America
The same can be asked about other aspects of animals. Why don't apes have cities and schools? Humans are different from animals. You can classify the group as a species and genus but that doesn't cut it. We have advanced civilizations and marvels of society due to the fact we are not animals. I may not be an expert, in fact I'm fairly certain I am not, but I am pretty sure even the smartest of dolphins won't be thinking about the origin of life. I reiterate, humans are different.
ATG
Banned
You'll get a + for that one Cam.
ya i think ur a typical bible basher and goodie 2 shoes go and cuddle some trees and get off the forum
You first.
The same can be asked about other aspects of animals. Why don't apes have cities and schools? Humans are different from animals. You can classify the group as a species and genus but that doesn't cut it. We have advanced civilizations and marvels of society due to the fact we are not animals. I may not be an expert, in fact I'm fairly certain I am not, but I am pretty sure even the smartest of dolphins won't be thinking about the origin of life. I reiterate, humans are different.
You may not see complexity in a ant hill or a beehive but it's there.
Apes don't have cities because they haven't evolved far enough to want them, doesn't mean that the Earth won't resemble The Planet of the Apes in a million years.
Dolphins have complex languages, just because  you don't speak it doesn't mean they don't have intense debates.

Last edited by ATG (2006-08-29 14:02:46)

link52787
+29|6525
I'm an atheist.  My mom's entire family are atheists except on my dad's side(Christians).  My dad is the only atheist on his side.

Most of my friends are atheists.  Except some of them.  I have a few that are Muslim, one Jewish friend and a couple of Christians.  T
DesertFox-
Grape, I find that offensive that you're speaking down to me as a schoolmarm would. I am well aware of the complexity of a beehive and/or anthill. If this does become the planet of the apes, I owe you a coke. You don't speak dolphin either, so how do you know the complexity level of their language?

However, I do find it odd that people state there is no proof of God when there is no more proof of aliens, yet in this topic, (http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=39754) more people believe definatively in alien life than in God. I'm not trying to convert anyone since, Lord knows I'm not an expert, but seriously...are people only able to believe in one of those? I believe in God and not aliens, interesting eh? At this time, I would like to also point out I am not trying to provide proof for God, since you can't. That's what makes it so hard for those who can't believe unless they see it. It reminds me a bit of the Ray Bradbury story "No Particular Night or Morning".

Last edited by DesertFox423 (2006-08-29 14:21:54)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6693|Tampa Bay Florida
I don't know.  Does that make me atheist?  No one, and I mean NO ONE knows until they die.  I don't know whether I'm atheist or not, because there is no proof either way.  What do I belive is the most probable?  Atheism, but that doesn't mean that I know for sure, or that every religous person is wrong.

If there is something, than my religion would be more of a "force" kind of thing.  A force which connects all living things.  Not some white guy with a beard who zaps people with lightning bolts or floods the Earth because of criminals.

But I DO think Christianity/Judaism/Islam is utter crap, for the most part.

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-08-29 14:21:31)

DesertFox-
Psss....Spearhead, if you're saying you don't know if there is or not, you're agnostic. [END TRANSMISSION]
Trel
+70|6680
Adding on to ATG's post, some of the most complexly organized and efficient societies in nature are Ant colonies. Sharks don't get cancer.  Monarch butterflies migrate thousands of miles based on instinct. 

Sure, humans are more advanced in some aspects of nature, but certain animals are beyond us in other aspects.
Good to be back.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

DesertFox423 wrote:

Psss....Spearhead, if you're saying you don't know if there is or not, you're agnostic. [END TRANSMISSION]
Do you have to label everyone?  Why does everything that is have to have a label on it?  If they believe in Jesus, they're Christian.  If they don't believe, they're atheist.  If they don't know, they're agnostic.  Why do you label everything? 

I don't really care nor know what I am.  I don't know whether or not I don't know.  I'm nothing, not agnostic, not religious, not atheist.  I'm ME.  I'm no different than what I would be if I grew up on an island, and didn't speak a word of English.  I exist

Do you get what I'm saying?

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-08-29 14:32:37)

DesertFox-
Labels make things efficient. Don't go all hissy on me.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

DesertFox423 wrote:

Labels make things efficient. Don't go all hissy on me.
I'm not, I don't know why you think that.
URE_DED
BF2s US Server Admin
+76|6622|inside the recesses of your...

R3v4n wrote:

I dont belive that one god created Everyting i think evolution is more explainable.
I'm not flaming or arguing - just wanting to interact with your comment - evolution is more explainable but two facts are true:

1. There is no evidence for macroevolution (not talking micro here)
2. There is no evidence that discounts there being a creator God.

I'd argue there is more evidence for God than against, furthermore.

But for me, personally, to think that our incredibly complex cells and tissues are all an accident, that we cannot find any real evidence of life elsewhere in the galaxy, that we don't have any transitional species fossils that would have to be left behind if we evolved from other animals (part animal A, part animal B) - well, it takes a great deal more faith to believe in evolution than God. 

And call me small-minded, close-minded, childish, stupid, facist, whatever, I don't care.  Just my personal belief.
Cowbell_Kevin
+8|6547
Have you ever met anyone who said that they were sorry that they got saved?

That might be "proof" in itself.

If you sit down and talk with Him, you won't really need any proof.  You will just know.  Give it a try.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6699|NJ
It's not god that I have a problem in it's his forced sayings that make people stupid.
leesupport
+39|6686

Spark wrote:

Reaxzion wrote:

I'm Atheist, I don't believe in god or Allah either.

Why? Example :
Before hurricane Katrina came by, you saw people praying like maniacs (on tv), asking god to let Katrina take a different path. But did it work? No it didn't, Katrina just mauled down New Orleans and its surroundings.

If god had created humans, why is he in fucks name letting them slaughter each other?
Well it actually did take a different course. Before its eye it was on a dead-straight path, but mere hours before it hit it veered off to the left and the eye missed by about 20km.

Wasn't enough.

If there is a god, he's probably on the left end of this spectrum:

Creator god ---------------------- Mildly active god --------------------- Active god.
                        ^^^^^^

Most people believe in an active god: e.g. a one who listens to prayers and does stuff all the time and essentially runs the place. A 'creator' god is one who creates a universe and leaves it at that. Nothing more. A mildly active god is one who only becomes an 'active' god every so often (say every 10 000 years)
well the GOD i belive in is always active....ive seen a lot of amazing things happen from praying....plus you say about New Orleans getting hit...well just so happen that was the week for there gay parade there and God dont like gays so no praying is gonna help that ....plus not all prayers get answered some times God has a reason for things happening....btw spark i dont really care about getting wacked or what ever you said earlyer that i should stop posting but hey everyone has there own ways of beliving but i know the way i belive is the right way.
ATG
Banned

DesertFox423 wrote:

Grape, I find that offensive that you're speaking down to me as a schoolmarm would. I am well aware of the complexity of a beehive and/or anthill. If this does become the planet of the apes, I owe you a coke. You don't speak dolphin either, so how do you know the complexity level of their language?

However, I do find it odd that people state there is no proof of God when there is no more proof of aliens, yet in this topic, (http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=39754) more people believe definatively in alien life than in God. I'm not trying to convert anyone since, Lord knows I'm not an expert, but seriously...are people only able to believe in one of those? I believe in God and not aliens, interesting eh? At this time, I would like to also point out I am not trying to provide proof for God, since you can't. That's what makes it so hard for those who can't believe unless they see it. It reminds me a bit of the Ray Bradbury story "No Particular Night or Morning".
Fox, I'm just trying to explain a point of view. For me to speak down to you would imply I have passed some sort of judgement upon you, which I haven't.
My beliefs are mostly instinctual. I believe I have walked the Earth many, many times before. Perhaps I believe trees are aware is because there is the possibility I have been one in a past life. Who knows. Anything is possible.
Dolphins are smart enough to learn commands and do astonishing things, I dunno if you've ever been to SeaWorld, but it goes beyond stupid animals performing tricks. A case could be made that they are perhaps more adept at launguage because they have learned to understand humans enough to be used by the U.S Navy, while we have spent decades researching communications between dolphins and whales and can't understand a thing they are saying.
Aliens are possible indeed, as is the posibility of the reality of Jesus and Heaven as defined in the Bible. It is possible I was Alexander the Great in a past life and a fern tree in the remote past. I can view all of these things objectively because my heart tells me with utter conviction that nobody has any fucking idea what happens to us after we die. .
And frankly, the degree to one which is certain about it, imop directly affects their overall capacaty for intellectual growth, in a bad way.
In other words, if you say you know what happens enough to argue, fight and even wage wars over your a moron at this time.
*edit* specimen of my last sentance in the post before mine.

Last edited by ATG (2006-08-29 22:06:35)

MAJ-DMK-
+1|6665
There is no such thing as a god. But I do not associate myself to the Athests that try to convince everyone around them that there isnt a god.

I believe if you find love and caring in a magical being.... then let you experience love and care. But as for the people that go to the extreme of hurting others and trying to convert I dislike that the most.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6699|NJ

leesupport wrote:

Spark wrote:

Reaxzion wrote:

I'm Atheist, I don't believe in god or Allah either.

Why? Example :
Before hurricane Katrina came by, you saw people praying like maniacs (on tv), asking god to let Katrina take a different path. But did it work? No it didn't, Katrina just mauled down New Orleans and its surroundings.

If god had created humans, why is he in fucks name letting them slaughter each other?
Well it actually did take a different course. Before its eye it was on a dead-straight path, but mere hours before it hit it veered off to the left and the eye missed by about 20km.

Wasn't enough.

If there is a god, he's probably on the left end of this spectrum:

Creator god ---------------------- Mildly active god --------------------- Active god.
                        ^^^^^^

Most people believe in an active god: e.g. a one who listens to prayers and does stuff all the time and essentially runs the place. A 'creator' god is one who creates a universe and leaves it at that. Nothing more. A mildly active god is one who only becomes an 'active' god every so often (say every 10 000 years)
well the GOD i belive in is always active....ive seen a lot of amazing things happen from praying....plus you say about New Orleans getting hit...well just so happen that was the week for there gay parade there and God dont like gays so no praying is gonna help that ....plus not all prayers get answered some times God has a reason for things happening....btw spark i dont really care about getting wacked or what ever you said earlyer that i should stop posting but hey everyone has there own ways of beliving but i know the way i belive is the right way.
What about the tsunami?
And why doesn't god like gays?

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2006-08-29 22:10:05)

messfeeder
+31|6531|Gotham

P581 wrote:

I am confused about the point of your poll, do you want to know how many people go to church? How many people believe in god? I'll just take a quick second  to make a terse comparison poll.
Imagine I asked this in a poll:

Do you like fruit?

1. Yes, I eat fruit all the time
2. No, but my mommy tries to feed me them sometimes.
3. I like fruit, but I don't usually eat it.
4. I LIKE APPLES!
5. I believe that I eat fruit.
6. There is no such thing as fruit, therefore i don't eat it.

You just need to add a bit of "clarity" to your poll. You should remove "I know there's something out there.." since it is essentially the same as saying "I believe in god but don't go to church".
Also take out "I'm an Atheist - booyah" because Atheism is actually a form of belief (like saying you're a Buddhist), whereas the rest of your questions are general statements, that do not question the poll takers religion. Seems a bit out of place. Also it's the same answer as the last question in your poll "Nothing is out there".

Next time you write a poll do some research, and really think about what you are trying to discuss, rather than just pulling 6 random questions about religion out of your ass.

I hate these "controversial topics" that no one really gives a rats ass about. Someone is just waiting for someone to say "I believe Jesus is my personal savior" so that they can flame them with stuff they read on some the liner notes of some Tool CD.  At least give us some sort of coherency when you try to start flame wars.

Edit: Also possible to expand this poll if you want to know the religions of people here.
What he said.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard