nodehopper
+56|6641
Ok...all those Heli Pilots who think they are "Maverick" ....It isn't always your gunners fault you die. Take some responsiblity.

I don't know how many times I hop in as gunner and get the arrogant sounding pilot..."You DO now how to use the TV....right?"

Well yah.... I am not the best in the world, but I can get the job done.

Do pilots realize that the small rectangular box at the bottom of the HUD display for the pilot is the view the TV monitor sees??? Hop in a US heli and it even says in English "gunner view". So why does the pilot go straight at an AA target with his nose down? The gunner view in the TV screen is either water or dirt.  The TV points down at like a 10 to 20 degree angle depending on heli if the helicopter is at a 30 degree angle going forward then the TV monitor is looking nearly straight down.  The pilot has to take some responablity for setting up a TV shot.

So we attack nose down. I switch to TV and see nothing but water. We get blown up and the pilot is screaming at me that it is my fault for not hitting with the TV. DUH!! Instead the pilot needs to use a little strategy, sneak up on the target if possible and then nose up quickly and put the gunner view box on the target so the gunner can get a good shot off. The pilots job is to give his gunner a good shot.

Again the TV is looking down. IF there is an enemy heli around....pilot .....get some altitude and come up on the enemy heli from above. I don't know how many times I have had a stupid pilot go at an enemy heli that is 40 degrees above my head screaming at me to use my TV.  Then acting like I am a moron because we died. Not to mention that pilots need to remember that it takes a long time for the TV missiles to reload.  I fired a wild shot because the pilot is nose down or below the target and he is screaming at me because I am using the machine gun. Well.....what else do I do waiting for the next missile???

The two man Heli team needs to work together more than any other team in the game. Pilots should be 90% concerned about staying alive and setting up the gunner for easy shots. With the long reload times, a well set up shot is better than a wild one. I am sure I will get flamed with "yah I can shoot a missile at a target 90 degrees above my head or all the way across the map and behind a hill." Well, if I am missing some trick of the trade then explain how to do it and I will STFU and go practice till I am as good.

But, if not, then maybe some heli pilots should remember that when a gunner besides their best buddy jumps in, it is a 50/50 responsiblity how things go. Give the gunner a break. If you are such a great pilot then you will make even a mediocre gunner good and after some time of getting used to each other you might find that they are better than you thought, maybe they just do things  differently than your buddy you are used to flying with.

OH and stop teamkilling so you and your buddy can whore the chopper.

Ok.....I have vented.
SaladForks
/ph34r
+129|6591|Eastern USA
O.o
R0lyP0ly
+161|6663|USA
+1... Most Excellent
Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6652|England
Yes I must admit I do ask for a TV guider before setting off. I dont bother flying into punish. I jsut let him lead himself into demise. However I do view myself as considerate. when facing AA I will hover in front, green bit on top for as long as possible before barrell rolling to the side and legging it. I am pretty crap with Hellfire and I rely greatly on a good gunner, so sorry if I offend anyone during the course of play BYE!
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6642|USA
i solve that problem mighty fast, fly by myself unless in mec chopper...but if i do have a gunner and he isnt shooting, i just turn my chopper into a missile or face the impending anti-air becuase he didnt shoot it fast enought.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6798|Singapore

nodehopper wrote:

Do pilots realize that the small rectangular box at the bottom of the HUD display for the pilot is the view the TV monitor sees??? Hop in a US heli and it even says in English "gunner view".
Not its not. Not exactly at least.

And for that matter, I hate gunners who the miss the TV and start MG on the opponent heli when his back is to us and he's far away. WTF is the idea. I'll stay nice and far to shape up your shot for you, YOU do your part by not annoucing our presence to him.

On the other side of the coin are gunners who scream at the pilot 'YOU SUCK BITCH LEARN HOW TO LINE ME UP', all the while NOT giving me chance to line them up because half the time they fire off the missile at weird angles and try to make it loop the loop to the tank while i'm circling around for a better shot, and when the shot presents it self, oh, missile reloading. kthnx.

Last edited by polarbearz (2006-05-04 13:53:43)

MaddOps
Who the hell elected you leader of this outfit?
+55|6606
That is very true.  Last time someone TK'd the chopper as I was gunner, I kicked him off my server for teamkilling. 

The other thing I hate are the "Parkinson's Pilots" who can't hold the damn thing still enough to line up a shot,
and I see TV TV TV TV come up in the chat window.  Since he wouldn't join my squad, I can't VOIP him, so he gets what he gets from me. 30MM Cannon or the like until the other chopper is destroyed.  I don't want to waste laser guided missiles on choppers.  Plus if they move out of frame too fast and you have a wild shot taking a LONG TIME to blow up. Then you're back on the cannon again anyway.

AMEN!!!  Good post.
nodehopper
+56|6641
Polarbearz....Yes....I agree with you. Stealth is our friend ...in Helis and in Tanks.......I have been in a tank and had a gunner who starts with the .50 cal before I have a chance to get close and fire the main cannon at the sweet spot on an unwary APC or Enemy Tank.....Please....Just announce we are here and take away our advantage. Doh!

yah....the green box in the HUD ......basically if it is on the target your gunner is set up....I agree it isn't exact. I did talk with a pilot who had no clue what that box was.

Sgt.Davi...it is WAR....we are allowed to be intense. Getting  even a decent gunner is better than going solo....IMHO
JaMDuDe
+69|6786
I dont blame the gunner cause when i fly i am the gunner
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6606|Seattle

JaMDuDe wrote:

Someone else said that the other day so I went home and tried it. As soon as you hop in the gunners seat, the chooper starts turning circles to the right. My question is...how in the hell can you effectively shoot at your target? I spent more time trying to point the damn chooper back on target than anything else.

I would LOVE to become efficient at being pilot AND gunner. I just don't see how it could really be more effective than having a gunner.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6750

nodehopper wrote:

Do pilots realize that the small rectangular box at the bottom of the HUD display for the pilot is the view the TV monitor sees???
As Polarbearz Mentioned It Isnt
Here They are, By SecretsofBattlefield

https://www.secretsofbattlefield.com/CobraPilotGunner.jpg
https://www.secretsofbattlefield.com/PLAPilotGunner.jpg
https://www.secretsofbattlefield.com/MECPilotGunner.jpg

King_County_Downy wrote:

As soon as you hop in the gunners seat, the chooper starts turning circles to the right.
Just aim to the Left First, Let The Chopper Spin and You'll get a Good TV off.

Last edited by Jestar12345 (2006-05-04 14:29:35)

polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6798|Singapore

JaMDuDe wrote:

I'm pleased to say that whenever someone races to the chopper and hits f2 once he's inside and proves himself to be a less than excellenet gunner: Not spotting, Missing dead on tv shots, looking at extreme left, right when i'm already nudging enemy infantry with my target, I derive GREAT pleasure from using the attack chopper to the closest CP which I intend to capture, and letting him have the heli all to his 1337ness.

IMHO, aside from a NOSE TO NOSE heli duel, any other time I'm forced to use my hellfires I think very very lowly of the gunner.
XstrangerdangerX
conversation is combat
+36|6638|Tasmania
Personally I don't like wasting TV missiles on tanks... I like hitting choppers or fast moving vehicles.

And if you're a gunner and you don't have voip with the pilot, create a squad and invite the pilot to join, hopefully all he'll have to do is pageup.

When you're in a chopper, spot as much as you can as you quickly fly past it, especially choppers on the edge of the screen. Another thing I do is if I see a target, I'll say its name really fast "tanktanktank", "chopperchopperchopper" etcetera...

My all time favourite TV kill is of course.. a fully loaded US blackhawk on wake.
DSRTurtle
+56|6695

King_County_Downy wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

Someone else said that the other day so I went home and tried it. As soon as you hop in the gunners seat, the chooper starts turning circles to the right. My question is...how in the hell can you effectively shoot at your target? I spent more time trying to point the damn chooper back on target than anything else.

I would LOVE to become efficient at being pilot AND gunner. I just don't see how it could really be more effective than having a gunner.
You have to wait until your tv missle is near your target then fire it.  Once fired you see the missle as it flies to the target and you can make course corrections to put it exactly on target. 

It's not as easy as it sounds.  BTW the helo also gains about 50 ft in altitude depending on how far away your target is.

I hope they fix the jump seat lockon break exploit.

Getting a good pilot who can set you up for good tv shots is a rare thing.  I have flown with 4 different guys who did that for me.  Of those 4, 2 are from a different clan than I am, but we talk on teamspeak, 1 is from my clan and is our best helo pilot.  The other guy, I wish I could remember his name, helped my get my good conduct ribbon when I was struggling to get 15 kills in a round, let alone 15 clean kills in a round.

Last edited by DSRTurtle (2006-05-04 14:41:48)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6716|67.222.138.85
There is nothing worse than a bad gunner. That being said, there is nothing better than a good gunner. Too many times it has gotten to the point where I'm flying someone I don't know, and even on voip, he refuses to wait two seconds for me to line them up for the shot, instead taking the bad shot that they miss, and then blame me for it,  angers me like none other. It especially makes me mad when  they  start calling me a noob pilot, even though I regularly give my gunner 8-12/1 k/d ratios when we fly. Oh well, I definitely suggesting finding a clan or just one pilot you can fly with alot.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6729|California

81.4223634% of the time, it is the gunner. and then there are those who crash into trees, like me!
bf2_zspyvin
+17|6693|The Netherlands
Most off the time a guy steps in my gunnerseat and that f*ck is not firing with his gun on Wake.. and that pissssses me off. So i get killed.... or they dont use the laserguided missles i hate those people.. NOOBS must first train in singleplayer!!!!!! I think that will make bf2 a greater online game
Speelbal
+146|6761|Netherlands
No I hate n00b gunners. Not so long ago I was playing Wake at PLA side. Got in the tiger chopper, looking for some E's, saw one. My gunner did nothing. So I kept getting closer to the guy, who saw me and was hoping and praying he wouldn't die. He sat there. I parked the helo in front of him. I mean: RIGHT , in front of him. Gunner didn''t do anything. I got frustrated and shot my entire 'clip' of rockets on the guy. Resulting in a no more.. ( I blamed the gunner , YES!)
JohnnyBlanco
+44|6580|England
I fly with a mate on teamspeak and we kick ass, but with a random person i give them 1 chance with tv and if they don't shoot i fly for myself. Tough titties boyo.
CrazeD
+368|6682|Maine
I have no problem taking out AA sites with my missles, therefore I don't need the gunner to take a TV shot. I just go nose down and let the missles rip. The AA missles usually miss if you're going nearly straight down anyway.
KingLou
Banned
+79|6633|Las Vegas

nodehopper wrote:

Ok...all those Heli Pilots who think they are "Maverick" ....It isn't always your gunners fault you die. Take some responsiblity.
I never blame my gunner for us dying.  I'm the pilot, it is my responsibility to keep us alive.  However, I do blame the gunner if I set them up for multiple, beautiful, perfect, easy, simple shots.........and they can't even capitalize on the wonderful point whoring opportunity I have set in front of them.

I won't directly bitch to them or at them typically.......but if they are bad enough......I'll let them jump out to cap a flag with me, and fly off without them.  One less death for the team when I get shot down.  The exception that I do make is in the SF choppers.  It seems I don't get shot down in those much, cause they are flying tanks.......so a useless gunner is welcome to come along for the ride.

KiL
Not Entirely Sane
+6|6670|Just Outside Seattle
Pilots need to lighten up, I'm playing the game to have fun, I hit tanks and whatnot with the missile but I am not so proficient at hitting Helis. I doubt the designers originally meant for the missile to be used as an anti-air weapon, I try my best and I am not a brilliant gunner but I’m not terrible either, so pilots calm down, the game is meant to be fun, if you have a crappy gunner and come across an enemy helo just run away!
alpinestar
+304|6605|New York City baby.
funny to say this but when you see lower ranks get in the chopper you most likely sense that they will suck as a gunner not to say ofcourse that everyone with lower rank sucks but on average person under gunnerry sarg will not know wtf they are doing.. just on average and from experience.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6709
Theres nothing I hate more than a bad gunner. I don't expect miracles from everyone who hops in the gunners seat, but I at least expect them to pay attention and not miss the most basic missile shots. I can't even count how many times I'll see an AA vehicle and line it up perfectly for him to shoot, I'll hear the lockon, I'll tell my gunner about it of voip when he doesn't take the shot, I'll maybe dodge one or two missiles (if im lucky), and when we finally explode he has still not taken the shot. It angers me to no end. Missing is one thing, but not firing is another. As the pilot, and I think I speak for all the pilots here, it's our responsibility to keep the helicopter flying and to make it easy for the gunner to kill things, but if the gunner isnt doing his job it makes ours very difficult.

That being said, if I find a gunner isn't doing his job I'll just do everything myself. It's certainly not as easy to kill infantry with the rockets, but after 400 hours you sort of get used to it (look for my upcoming video. Soon as I get around to it...)
PRiMACORD
+190|6634|Home of the Escalade Herds
IMO if a chopper goes down, no matter what the situation is, it is the pilots fault. If the pilot lines the gunner up for a TV shot, that is his decision and his risk.

I treat it like the chain of command, the pilot being in charge will always take the blame when shit hits the fan.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard