-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5482|Ventura, California
I had a good laugh when I heard this. There's a lot of Muslims and they were all furious this morning about not living in a free country and stuff.

It's not like Switzerland has any land you could build them on anyway that isn't already strictly for agriculture or gay land protected by the government.

haha
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
you're hardly making some groundbreaking social comment about europe there. since when has any society had a 'learned populace'. even america doesn't have equal distribution of education through the classes and differing social demographics. education is part of power. i think the important thing is that the enlightenment marked a change in philosophical interests and ideas, not that it marked the physical liberation of every single person on the continent. that's pretty absurd. and yes, i still think we're an enlightened continent, culturally, despite the reasons for banning minarets (which i personally disagree with).
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5367|London, England

Uzique wrote:

you're hardly making some groundbreaking social comment about europe there. since when has any society had a 'learned populace'. even america doesn't have equal distribution of education through the classes and differing social demographics. education is part of power. i think the important thing is that the enlightenment marked a change in philosophical interests and ideas, not that it marked the physical liberation of every single person on the continent. that's pretty absurd. and yes, i still think we're an enlightened continent, culturally, despite the reasons for banning minarets (which i personally disagree with).
I'd say we're rather well covered by our education system. Everyone gets school covered from the age of 5 through 18. After that there are many ways to pay for college. A college degree shouldn't be as important as it is anyway. A degree in literature, philosophy, sociology etc aren't worth much more than toilet paper. I always laugh when I meet people with Harvard degrees making $30,000 a year because they picked some dipshit degree.

The problem is people like you Uzi. You consider yourself to be an intellectual elitist and that you know what's best for everyone else. Deny it all you want but it comes across in every post you type. You don't know shit.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2009-11-30 11:54:54)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5605|Vacationland
Big deal, it's SWITZERLAND.  They've always had right tendencies, wake me up when it happens in France, the UK, or Spain (lols, the sizable Muslim population would be pissed.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6455|Chicago, IL

Narupug wrote:

Big deal, it's SWITZERLAND.  They've always had right tendencies, wake me up when it happens in France, the UK, or Spain (lols, the sizable Muslim population would be pissed.
France already banned the burqa.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5605|Vacationland
Ok, just shot myself in the foot again. 

But is the burqa really as big a part of the muslim religion as the Minaret?
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6455|Chicago, IL

Narupug wrote:

bigger, the minarets can be replaced, the burqa is a matter of honor
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5605|Vacationland

S.Lythberg wrote:

Narupug wrote:

Oops, well I think I'm gonna leave now...
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5759|شمال

S.Lythberg wrote:

Narupug wrote:

Many experts on Islam on this forum
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6498|Gogledd Cymru

France didn't ban the burqa, they just advised people not to wear them. (I think)
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I wonder if rammunition is in Switzerland protesting right now
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6455|Chicago, IL

JohnG@lt wrote:

I wonder if rammunition is in Switzerland protesting right now
He read the headline and his head exploded
Dr.PhiL
Danmark
+30|6678|Up North
Good job Switzerland!
CameronPoe
+2,925|6564
Next stop those pesky synagogues....
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

I'd say we're rather well covered by our education system. Everyone gets school covered from the age of 5 through 18. After that there are many ways to pay for college. A college degree shouldn't be as important as it is anyway. A degree in literature, philosophy, sociology etc aren't worth much more than toilet paper. I always laugh when I meet people with Harvard degrees making $30,000 a year because they picked some dipshit degree.

The problem is people like you Uzi. You consider yourself to be an intellectual elitist and that you know what's best for everyone else. Deny it all you want but it comes across in every post you type. You don't know shit.
the fuck are you talking about? you made a comment about europeans not being enlightened... i linked you to an article on the philosophical enlightenment that took place here, i.e. the thing that we refer to when we talk about our peoples and cultures in terms of 'post-enlightenment'. im an intellectual elitist and i dont know shit? all ive stated in this thread is that switzerland are half-assed right-wing pussies and defended your ignoramus-attack that europeans somehow aren't 'advanced' to any post-enlightenment principles because of the dumb example of this one sitting-on-the-fence state. that doesn't say anything about me at all; there's not much of an opinion within a wikipedia entry.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701
Bloody hell. I reckon this will be the topic of discussion in my mid-east anthro class tomorrow. Good thing, because I didn't read the assigned reading.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

the fuck are you talking about? you made a comment about europeans not being enlightened... i linked you to an article on the philosophical enlightenment that took place here, i.e. the thing that we refer to when we talk about our peoples and cultures in terms of 'post-enlightenment'. im an intellectual elitist and i dont know shit? all ive stated in this thread is that switzerland are half-assed right-wing pussies and defended your ignoramus-attack that europeans somehow aren't 'advanced' to any post-enlightenment principles because of the dumb example of this one sitting-on-the-fence state. that doesn't say anything about me at all; there's not much of an opinion within a wikipedia entry.
Doesn't their fence sitting represent the ideal state of the enlightened liberal? They've avoided wars, they take care of their citizens, they even print all of their government documents in multiple languages so as to be more accessible to their populace and they allow direct democratic action. Yet you think whatever country you live in is more advanced than them?

Are they only enlightened when they agree exactly with your point of view?

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2009-11-30 13:47:18)

-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6600
Cute how that poster is so similar in style to posters from nearly 100 years ago.

https://newgrass.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/bauhaus-1923.jpg

https://www.simplonpc.co.uk/DonStoltenberg/QMary.jpg

Stark coloration, primary colors, exaggerated perspective skewing, text angled as part of the poster's artwork.
Classic Art Deco style

And, now back to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Doesn't their fence sitting represent the ideal state of the enlightened liberal? They've avoided wars, they take care of their citizens, they even print all of their government documents in multiple languages so as to be more accessible to their populace and they allow direct democratic action. Yet you think whatever country you live in is more advanced than them?

i dont think we're 'more advanced' than them, i just think it's a shit decision to ban minarets. hardly progressivist. my point about them sitting on the fence is based on switzerland's historical ability to be politically neutral chameleons. if you call that 'enlightened liberalism', then we clearly have different interpretations and understandings of what it means to be 'liberal' in the US and the EU.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6641

S.Lythberg wrote:

Narupug wrote:

France already banned the burqa.
and I believe the turban for Sikh's, (in school afaik).
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i dont think we're 'more advanced' than them, i just think it's a shit decision to ban minarets. hardly progressivist. my point about them sitting on the fence is based on switzerland's historical ability to be politically neutral chameleons. if you call that 'enlightened liberalism', then we clearly have different interpretations and understandings of what it means to be 'liberal' in the US and the EU.
No, I know exactly what it means to be 'liberal'. It means being closed minded and following whichever leader tells you that you are intellectually superior to those that do not follow his own dogma. The term 'progressive' is a real laugher as well since it really describes the most economically and socially conservative system ever devised with little to no room for deviation allowable for any member within. You may all pay lip service to freedom but the system you espouse would completely strip you of your humanity if it ever came to pass. If that's what it means to be 'enlightened', I'll pass. I'll let all the 'intellectually elitist, enlightened' lemmings run themselves off a cliff. Why would you even care if muslims lose their minarets when the end goal is the destruction of religion anyway?
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6114|eXtreme to the maX

Konfusion wrote:

Switzerland is moving against Muslims, or at least against open preaching of everything but Christianity.
No, they are moving against Islamicisation of their country, not the same thing at all.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479

JohnG@lt wrote:

Uzique wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

No, I know exactly what it means to be 'liberal'. It means being closed minded and following whichever leader tells you that you are intellectually superior to those that do not follow his own dogma. The term 'progressive' is a real laugher as well since it really describes the most economically and socially conservative system ever devised with little to no room for deviation allowable for any member within. You may all pay lip service to freedom but the system you espouse would completely strip you of your humanity if it ever came to pass. If that's what it means to be 'enlightened', I'll pass. I'll let all the 'intellectually elitist, enlightened' lemmings run themselves off a cliff. Why would you even care if muslims lose their minarets when the end goal is the destruction of religion anyway?
just to make this clear, because ive been personally impartial to this thread myself: im not a liberal. i defended europe as being 'enlightened' because, in cultural terms, we are post-enlightenment (referring to the 1600-1800's period of philosophical, political and social revolution). i dont really know why you're so quick to lambast me as being "fucking clueless" and an "elitist lemming" ready to run off a cliff. i just said that banning minarets is a dumb idea. yes,if the end goal is the destruction of religion, they should ban other religious architecture. islamophobia in switzerland in my opinion is a historical hangover from the days when they all gave fellatio to the third reich.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6772|d
wow, they are "only four minarets in a country that is home to 400,000 Muslims". Funny that they should be complaining about how minaret are taking over.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

just to make this clear, because ive been personally impartial to this thread myself: im not a liberal. i defended europe as being 'enlightened' because, in cultural terms, we are post-enlightenment (referring to the 1600-1800's period of philosophical, political and social revolution). i dont really know why you're so quick to lambast me as being "fucking clueless" and an "elitist lemming" ready to run off a cliff. i just said that banning minarets is a dumb idea. yes,if the end goal is the destruction of religion, they should ban other religious architecture. islamophobia in switzerland in my opinion is a historical hangover from the days when they all gave fellatio to the third reich.
It's perfectly natural to fear what one doesn't understand. It is a part of human (and animal) nature that has allowed us to thrive and survive for thousands of years. In a society as closed and homogenous as the Swiss are, they have even more reason to fear outside influence. If you like the way things are there's no reason to go running to defend a people that the rest of the world rightly views as troublemakers and who have proven to cause unrest in every nation in Europe. Do you not remember the riots in Denmark when the cartoon image of Muhammed was used? I do. Every religion lends itself to radicalization but the sheer rabidness that has been produced in a culture like Islam, that shuns education, is truly a sight to behold.

Frankly, the Muslims in Europe have been doing the exact opposite of what they should've done to succeed. They've been militant, they've been visible and they've been visibly different all at the same time while being economically poor. Of course there will be a backlash, especially among the lower class workers whose livelihoods they threaten. It's been brewing in Europe for decades and it's only now starting to spill over. Let's hope this 'cleansing' doesn't go as far as your previous pogroms and inquisitions.

It really has little to do with 'racism' or 'religious discrimination' or any other term you want to use. Humans are and always will be tribal in nature no matter how many efforts are made to break that particular trait. We're all a bit xenophobic against that which we don't fully understand or are unfamiliar with and no amount of education or 'diversity training' will change that. Do you surround yourself with friends that you do not find yourself agreeing with on intellectual matters? No. If you do then I'm sure there are other similarities that bind you together. Heck, people hate each other based on which sports team the other person supports and that's completely trivial.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2009-11-30 16:19:22)

-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard