blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6641
The nation's newest texting champion has a message for parents across the land - although they might not want to hear it.

"Let your kid text during dinner! Let your kid text during school! It pays off," 15-year-old Kate Moore said Tuesday after winning the LG U.S. National Texting Championship.

After all, she said: "Your kid could win money and publicity and a phone."For the Des Moines, Iowa, teenager, her 14,000 texts-per-month habit reaped its own rewards, landing her the competition prize of $50,000 just eight months after she got her first cell phone.Moore, with a speedy and accurate performance, beat out 20 other finalists from around the country over two days of challenges such as texting blindfolded and texting while maneuvering through a moving obstacle course.

In the final showdown, she outtexted 14-year-old Morgan Dynda, of Savannah, Ga. Both girls had to text three lengthy phrases without making any mistakes on the required abbreviations, capitalization or punctuation. Moore squeaked through by a few seconds on the tiebreaking text, getting the best two out of three. As she anxiously waited for confirmation of her win, tears streamed down her face.

Twenty-year-old Jackie Boyd, who came in fifth in the competition, said she usually prefers text messages to phone calls because they get through faster and they're more private - leaving her unworried about other people listening in.

"You can get more of what you really truly want to say" across with texting, said the Syracuse University psychology major. "Especially if it's an argument, you don't have to worry about saying the wrong thing.

https://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/06/18/alg_kate_2.jpg

Do u text more or do u talk more? Also 14k messages is insane lol she ought to consider a career in texting ppl What do u guys 50k a lot for a stupid championship or on?
SamBo:D
Banned
+236|5493|England
i ring if i need an answer or need to know something asap, otherwise i text
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467
Err... congrats?

Only a Western culture could breed, encourage and celebrate this absolutely fucking dire and mundane style of living.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5539|Toronto

Uzique wrote:

Err... congrats?

Only a Western culture could breed, encourage and celebrate this absolutely fucking dire and mundane style of living.
What? I'm positive that the East is just as hooked on texting. My father was in Japan not 2 weeks ago and told me he was scowled at for calling people in public places and told it was a faux pas. Plus the East is well known for crazy ass stunts and competitions such as this.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6840|Reykjavík, Iceland.
She sends 20 fucking texts in an hour

That's MADNESS

She better not have her parents pay her bill.

EDIT:

40 texts per hour if you assume she's up 12 hours per day rather than 24.

Last edited by Sydney (2009-06-18 13:14:35)

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6629

Sydney wrote:

That's MADNESS

EDIT:

Unlimited texting plan, it's not overly expensive.
TheBestYet
The man who Motivated Michael Jackson
+7|5426
shes cute
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

Uzique wrote:

Err... congrats?

lolz japan.......
Sydney
2λчиэλ

Gooners wrote:

Sydney wrote:

That's MADNESS

EDIT:

Unlimited texting plan, it's not overly expensive.
I see, primitive little Iceland doesn't have that.

Free calls within same provider is though.

Also, is it true that in the US the receiver of the call also has to pay? Because I was like, wtf?

Last edited by Sydney (2009-06-18 13:36:51)

LittleBitchy
I hope Hell has wi-fi.
+150|5456|Yeah, there :)
that's crazy
but i text more then i talk too
Fall seven times. Stand up eight.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467

usmarine wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Err... congrats?

lolz japan.......
To respond to you and Poschy, I think personally that the 'obsession' with pointless texting-technology, SMS and all the rest of these regressive-retard activities stems from Western culture and social traits. Japan and the East have always been pretty keen to emulate Western culture, so it's no surprise that the same gimmicks are now evident within their own countries- complete with the bonus Japanese crazy-as-shit idiosyncrasy. Yeah, I'm aware that Japan is a technological hub and isn't exactly behind USA/Europe with mobile phones - moreso probably far in front - but I'm just talking about the utterly stupefying celebration of pointless inane 'skills' such as texting. It's corporate-sponsored, mindless, consumerist bullshit.

All that said, a pretty funny and eye-opening story. I text probably about 2-3 times a day, and even then it's only in response to my friends and girlfriend. Phonecalls and the Internet seem so much 'better' at communicating a coherent message...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6460|cuntshitlake

Pochsy wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Err... congrats?

What? I'm positive that the East is just as hooked on texting. My father was in Japan not 2 weeks ago and told me he was scowled at for calling people in public places and told it was a faux pas. Plus the East is well known for crazy ass stunts and competitions such as this.
Japan is another thing...

Uzique wrote:

Phonecalls and the Internet seem so much 'better' at communicating a coherent message...
Agreed. I used to text more but nowadays I hardly text once a day. It's just such an inconvenient way of messaging people. Takes too much time and still you can never express yourself as good as by calling or using IM's.

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2009-06-18 13:42:17)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

Uzique wrote:

All that said, a pretty funny and eye-opening story. I text probably about 2-3 times a day, and even then it's only in response to my friends and girlfriend. Phonecalls and the Internet seem so much 'better' at communicating a coherent message...
i hate texting....i get sucked in though because phones are no longer for talking i guess.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6710|Purplicious Wisconsin
She's not bad looking and she's close to my age. From the Midwest too!!!

Sydney wrote:

Also, is it true that in the US the receiver of the call also has to pay? Because I was like, wtf?
Yes, unless you have unlimited texting.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York

War Man wrote:

Sydney wrote:

You'd have a chance if she gained 50 pounds, because that's what you love amirite
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

I really prefer to text to certain people then have a full on verbal conversation. It is pretty nice to send a message go do something important then come back and have a message waiting for you or be able to send out a message when you are someplace you can't be loud.
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5630|Southern California

TheBestYet wrote:

shes cute
You must have low standards.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

wow...her hands would be a fun toy tbh
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6571|London

-MetaL* wrote:

TheBestYet wrote:

shes cute
You must have low standards.
she has a depression...in the middle of her face

like if she lied down u could use her to hold tennis balls or somefing
san4
The Mas
+311|6685|NYC, a place to live
She also won the national sexting championship.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6460|cuntshitlake

Poseidon wrote:

War Man wrote:

Sydney wrote:

You'd have a chance if she gained 50 pounds, because that's what you love amirite
She'd have to gain a little something between her legs as well because that's what war man loves amirite
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6710|Purplicious Wisconsin

Poseidon wrote:

War Man wrote:

Sydney wrote:

I don't like fat chicks. Most of these rumors about me are false.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6269
Spaz. I wouldnt stand living a whole day with her.
Sydney
2λчиэλ

War Man wrote:

Sydney wrote:

That's retarded.

Here it's just the caller that pays.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

Sydney wrote:

War Man wrote:

Sydney wrote:

That's retarded.

Here it's just the caller that pays.
yeah well we get unlimited text plans

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard