Brasso
+1,549|6622

honestly, i would pay full price if it just looked good.  it just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.  seems overly gory.  and fake, actually.  the blood on some zombies' mouths were just practically painted on.

edit: wow, on second thought, it sounds good.  it just didn't look good.  link

Last edited by haffeysucks (2009-06-01 19:32:04)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

wah1188 wrote:

Haha what I find funny is how excited Ty was for the first game, look who's playing!
Bottom left name, so Ty fill us in?
Wouldn't you like to know.

Actually as Flecs knows I'm calling this a hoax at the moment, a marketing ploy. I'm seeing a game erupt out of the blue with no call nor need for it. L4D was a game designed to have content added seamlessly, why create an entirely new title? Maybe it's a project Valve South are putting together on their own but even then it took them a long time to make Left 4 Dead and they don't have a huge staff, I hardly see them creating a sequal in a year, even if at the moment it does look like a rather poor quality mod.

I haven't actually fully looked into it yet, this is just my initial feeling. This whole L4D2 thing doesn't make sense to me so I'm drawing other conclusions. I think L4D2 exists for some other purpose, I've come to the conclusion that it's to draw attention away from other titles or content Valve is working on.

(Oh and no that wasn't me playing but I'm just claiming that they named someone "Ty" in my honour since I'm just that awesome.)
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

Something another dude pointed out on Rock, Scissors, Shotgun too...

Wtf is Valve thinking with the Coach's character model. YELLOW AND CYAN SHIRT?!?!?!? Eyesore tbh.

Daytime maps = kills the tension. Some of the other stuff that's been thrown around in it sounds really cool. I just hope they give it to me for free because I bought Left4Dead: The Technological Demo That Wont be Expanded Much After Release for me and my mates. Feel a bit cheated now.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261
I have no idea what to think to be honest.

Valve have a conference room booked for tomorrow. Behind closed doors etc. I'm hoping (wishing?) that they'll have Half Life there. Or Portal. Or anything.

Its odd to actually get bad news during E3.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

https://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z227/petermassingale/L4D2_PC_Box.jpg

This is what really gets me though. No way would you get that through the PR bods as a serious cover.
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6548|Brisbane, Aus

valve are trying a 'leaked meet the spy' trick on a bigger scale.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261
Or maybe this is just wishful thinking. There's no way that Microsoft would take part in their joke. No way. IGN even have a big preview.

On the other hand, the whole thing seems very off.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-06-01 21:10:30)

Flecco
iPod is broken.

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Or maybe this is just wishful thinking. There's no way that Microsoft would take part in their joke. No way.

On the other hand, the whole thing seems very off.
Why not? Microsoft are, and have been, chasing an image change for a while now. Viva Pinata and the chasing of key titles that Sony used to hold are good examples of this. Along with the updates and changes to the 360 over the years.

That.... and it's also possible, if this is a joke, that they forgot to tell MS.

L4D blog mentions the game too. Looks like it really is the real deal.

Last edited by Flecco (2009-06-01 21:16:11)

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261
I really don't know what to think. Elaborate hoax or worst handled unveiling ever.

I mean the press release. What the hell
"HEY GUYS THIS GAME IS MUCH BIGGER THAN THE FIRST AND WILL INCLUDE ALL GAMEMODES ETC AT LAUNCH. SUX2BU"

The gameplay videos.
Gameplay is identical to the first game. Zombies are identical to the first game. Achievements are identical to the first game. The incendiary rounds for the Uzi look like a cheap Gmod flaregun. Melee weapons that they said over and over again were unneeded for the first game? It all looks like something they whipped up in a week.

The box art giving us the fingers.

The stupidly short turnaround time and lack of content for L4D.

Urgh. Everything about it screams 'wrong'. But it looks like it's real.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-06-01 21:27:31)

Defiance
+438|6662

Eh. I'm trying to watch the trailer now, though I'm being whined at in various capacities, so my judgement on that will have to come later. For now, though, the announcement.

1: When has Valve ever talked so much about the marketing behind a game? Especially for a new game, why would they even talk about it's predecessor?
2: The poster art is sub par and the tag line is pathetically cheesy. Same with the box art; it's cheap, obvious and too unrefined or clever to make it out of a serious Valve.
3: Again, when has Valve ever released a game this quick? Shit, EP2 was out before L4D and we're still waiting on EP3 after a 'sequel' to L4D has been announced.

No way in hell this is serious. I won't even suggest an "if it is..." solution.

Edit: New thought: The box art is a peace sign. The whole announcement is sardonically saying that they fucked up with L4D's content before now. Might this be Valve saying it's got some new stuff in the works for L4D (not a sequel, I mean new content or gameplay fixes)?

Last edited by Defiance (2009-06-01 21:28:43)

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261
Actually they went on and on about L4D's $10 mil marketing before it's release. The number of times I saw that figure being mentioned...

Edit: Also lol

Edit 2:

Defiance wrote:

Edit: New thought: The box art is a peace sign. The whole announcement is sardonically saying that they fucked up with L4D's content before now. Might this be Valve saying it's got some new stuff in the works for L4D (not a sequel, I mean new content or gameplay fixes)?
No when the hand is that way around, it's:

Wikipedia wrote:

The V sign is a hand gesture in which the first and second fingers are raised and parted, whilst the remaining fingers are clenched. With palm inwards, in the United Kingdom and some other English speaking countries, it is an obscene insulting gesture of defiance.
It's offensive (like middle finger) in the UK. So no. It's not a peace sign implying they made a mistake. It's them saying 'fuck you'.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-06-01 21:36:16)

DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6455|cuntshitlake

I am thinking 50/50 here. Either this is the worst move they have ever made or the biggest troll act a game company has ever made. Second one would kinda make sense after the VERY succesful spy-sniper update for TF2.

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2009-06-01 21:33:05)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Defiance
+438|6662

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Actually they went on and on about L4D's $10 mil marketing before it's release. The number of times I saw that figure being mentioned...

Edit: Also lol

Edit 2:

Defiance wrote:

No when the hand is that way around, it's:

Wikipedia wrote:

The V sign is a hand gesture in which the first and second fingers are raised and parted, whilst the remaining fingers are clenched. With palm inwards, in the United Kingdom and some other English speaking countries, it is an obscene insulting gesture of defiance.
It's offensive (like middle finger) in the UK. So no. It's not a peace sign implying they made a mistake. It's them saying 'fuck you'.
I do recall the marketing discussion around L4D's release, but this announcement is L4D2. They sound repetitive and annoying, not something Valve usually does.

Alright, peace sign is bunk then. Although I don't think that a cultural convention should be used to determine the meaning of an internationally used image, it would be careless to plaster a sign that is an insult to a major part of the world, like the UK.

It sounds more and more like a joke.
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5625|Southern California
LULZ @ WIKIPEDIA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L4D2

Edit: Shit they changed it but I got a screenie.
Edit 2: Lulz people keep editing it.

https://i42.tinypic.com/15naryp.jpg

Last edited by -MetaL* (2009-06-01 22:07:15)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6512|Austin, Texas

wiki wrote:

Designer(s)     Anita Shower
Writer(s)     Chet Faliszek
Composer(s)     Harry S. Pennis
I lol'd

Refreshing the wiki page is quite funny tbh.

Development

When EA suits said lets milk the cow Gabe was all over it. MOAR burgers for me!!

Last edited by Bevo (2009-06-01 22:10:38)

Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5975|Perth, Australia
I must admit i found the Arrested Development reference in the vid yoda linked to (0:48) quite funny.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

Looking more into it this does indeed look more legit, then again a good ruse always does. It looks like it's primarily a Valve South, (previously Turtle Rock,) venture which explains why it seems "unexpected from Valve". The thing is this STILL doesn't look like it can be a complete game on it's own. It's just new skins, models and a few new campaigns. Like Battlefiled 2142 before it this is destined to forever be considered just another game sped through development to milk more money out of a franchise. BF2142 at least had a completely new idea with the Titan mode, the only development L4D2 has is melee weapons - hardly a revolutionary idea. They can't expect people to pay full price for this, it's nothing that we haven't seen before but more importantly fo those who bought Left 4 Dead it's nothing we haven't already paid for. It's got hardly anything over the original. This isn't a new title, it's an expansion pack at best.

That being said if my wild conspiricies turn out to be incorrect and this is indeed a "new" title I'll keep an eye on it. I don't have high hopes for it at all. It doesn't have the atmosphere, the graphics look pretty piss-poor at this stage, the melee weapons are hardly anything to get excited about. Hell, the zombies aren't even "Left 4 Dead"-esque infected, they look like they've been dead for a while and are thus the more traditional "Night of the Living Dead" dead zombies. I guess we shall see. If it's a hoax I still get to say that I called it.
[Blinking eyes thing]
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6491|so randum
i think tys been drinking.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

Ty's ALWAYS been drinking Ted.
[Blinking eyes thing]
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6491|so randum
good shout
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Flecco
iPod is broken.

< wishes he was drinking. Considers a beer.

Anyway, I hope this is a hoax. I reaaaally do.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6491|so randum
is drinking £2 cider at half 8 in the morning wrong?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

Drinking Cider? Yes. Drinking at 8:30am? Hell no.
[Blinking eyes thing]
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6491|so randum
haha nice response.

exhausted my jamesons/peroni supply so now im moving into my 8 3l bottle cider reserves.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Fuck you Ty, cider is great with Brekky. You can act like you're not alco and just having an apple juice with the toast.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard