blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637
Researchers believe interactive games such as World of Warcraft and Second Life could be adapted so that children learn skills from them that could be transferred to real life.

They believe that the "immersive" aspect of the games in which the player suspends his belief means that the brain is particularly engaged and can absorb complex issues.

The games real life feel also means that students could effectively carry out "work experience" on the computer learning techniques and skills they can apply back in reality.

Researchers believe that the games, which they say are more active than passive traditional learning, could be most useful for science based subjects with students able to carry out imaginary experiments and improve their ability to "learn to learn".

"Compared with a similar, paper-based curriculum that included laboratory experiences, students overall were more engaged in the immersive interface and learned as much or more," said Professor Chris Dede, an academic in Learning technologies at Harvard University in the journal Science.

Games such as Whyville and the ecology game River City have already been developed specifically to teach children and students but scientists believe established popular video games could be adapted so that players could be "dosed" with knowledge.

Much like "flight simulators" they are so "real" that many life skills can be learned from them. Early tests of these learning games have shown unusual levels of student engagement.

Dr Merrilea Mayo, director of Future Learning systems at the Kaufman Foundation, said the games can also help close the gap between under and over-achieving children.

"Unlike lectures, games can be adapted to the pace of the user," she said

"Games also simultaneously present information in multiple visual and auditory modes, which capitalises on different learning styles.

"Although the field is still in its embryonic stages, game-based learning has the potential to deliver science and maths education to millions of users simultaneously.

"Unlike other mass-media experiments in education (e.g., TV), games are a highly interactive."

The new research is likely to add to the debate about the pros and cons of video games.

Last year the culture minister Margaret Hodge called for a film-style classifications for games such as World of Warcraft which is said to have 10 million users worldwide.

There have also been concerns that the games are addictive and that children's education and lives are being disrupted by them.
source

where do you stand? Would you like to see video games being used in schools?

Last edited by blademaster (2009-01-01 14:18:56)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

fuck sakes.  can we go back to the 80's pls?
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6455|cuntshitlake

Researchers believe interactive games such as World of Warcraft and Second Life could be adapted so that children learn skills from them that could be transferred to real life.
Ok that's how much I read.

Bullshit.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6394|dm_maidenhead
I wish I had dragon slaying class at school, would beat geography.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
what about using real life to learn about real life?
Love is the answer
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

what about using real life to learn about real life?
but kids rather drink a monster and play in fantasy land all day.  you know, no consequences at all for their actions.
Microwave
_
+515|6647|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Bullshit.
Haha, same
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
Bringing a news-topic about MMO's to the hardcore Waffen-FPS troopers at BF2s is virtual suicide.

/wrists
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6558|England

blademaster wrote:

"Unlike lectures, games can be adapted to the pace of the user," she said
That's the only part I agree with.

If I have kids, I wouldn't want them to sit around staring at a screen to learn, I'd want them to learn in the traditional, correct and formal manner.
Especially subjects like maths, which they are quoting, which you learn through examples and working it out. You can't do that on screen. It just doesn't go in.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

Uzique wrote:

Bringing a news-topic about MMO's to the hardcore Waffen-FPS troopers at BF2s is virtual suicide.

/wrists
thats right.  take it back to the fat ass spaz convention where it belongs.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina

usmarine wrote:

Uzique wrote:

/wrists
I liked the 90's better tbh.
Hakei
Banned
+295|5987

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Bullshit.
Yeah, the idea of children learning something from a game aimed at teaching is so ludicrous
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

usmarine wrote:

fuck sakes.  can we go back to the 80's pls?
Using Pong for educational purposes?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463

usmarine wrote:

Uzique wrote:

/wrists
Yeah, damn right!

This is strictly reserved for the 'cool' end of the gaming spectrum: FPS rambo's and action-game hardmen!

Amirite?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

Uzique wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Uzique wrote:

/wrists
Yeah, damn right!

This is strictly reserved for the 'cool' end of the gaming spectrum: FPS rambo's and action-game hardmen!

Amirite?
yes.  go cast spells somewhere else.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463

usmarine wrote:

Uzique wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Yeah, damn right!

Amirite?
yes.  go cast spells somewhere else.
But dude I'm not casting spells, I'm throwing down some Rank 5 Reading Comprehension with a maximum-Math talent specced Rogue!
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6278|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
Well the whole idea of games is to have fun, and most "scientists" who make games to learn, turn out piss-boring tbh... so no.. will never work unless ofcourse it is military/driving/flight training you are doing
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Yes and Gran Turismo teaches kids driving 'skills'.
Except IRL you only get to stack your V8 into a tree once, there is no reset button.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6445|The Twilight Zone

james@alienware wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Bullshit.
Haha, same
lol yeah me too
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Roc18
`
+655|5783|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
Hey if it works then i'm all for it.
FloppY_
­

Dilbert_X wrote:

Yes and Gran Turismo teaches kids driving 'skills'.
Except IRL you only get to stack your V8 into a tree once, there is no reset button.
Not exactly what I meant... racing pro's often use games to drive a track right before they start their practice/race on the real tracks

Last edited by FloppY_ (2009-01-01 17:22:16)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Floppy wrote:

Not exactly what I meant... racing pro's often use games to drive a track right before they start their practice/race on the real tracks
Which is fine if you're a racing pro.
Otherwise it just teaches kids to drive as fast as possible and not worry about dying.

Same for most computer games, usefulness IRL is almost zero.
FloppY_
­

Dilbert_X wrote:

Floppy wrote:

Which is fine if you're a racing pro.
Otherwise it just teaches kids to drive as fast as possible and not worry about dying.

Same for most computer games, usefulness IRL is almost zero.
That statement is just stupid tbh... context, context, context... I figure you are one of the people that claim that GTA (and others) are the only reason why young people are becoming more violent and psychopathic ?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No I don't claim its the only reason at all, it is a factor though.
Maybe you'd like to explain why young people are becoming more violent and less socially capable?

Getting out and doing stuff with real people is going to teach you far more life skills than sitting in front of a computer trading e-gold with an avatar or whatever.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85
You can learn something from everything, and the most valuable lessons aren't taught in the classroom.

That said, something you play on the computer should not replace classical learning environments. Anything you do on the computer shouldn't be dismissed as useless, but there are important elements of school learning that you just can't get from the computer.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard