Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
A Steam User Forums member 'Gamberdow' found this. Notice the url? Steam's website.

http://storefront.steampowered.com/eula … glish.html

Entitled...

LIMITED LICENSE AGREEMENT for the use of the software game CRYSIS ("CRYSIS")
But that's not all. From Steam's big long list of applications (upcoming games have been spotted before on this list).

<ApplicationRecord ApplicationId="17300">
      <AppId>17300</AppId>
      <Name>ValveTestApp17300</Name>
      <InstallDirName>ValveTestApp17300</InstallDirName>
      <MinCacheFileSizeMB>0</MinCacheFileSizeMB>
      <MaxCacheFileSizeMB>0</MaxCacheFileSizeMB>
      <LaunchOptionsRecord>
        <ApplicationLaunchOptionRecord LaunchOptionIndex="0">
          <Description>Default</Description>
          <CommandLine>bin32\crysis.exe</CommandLine>
          <IconIndex>0</IconIndex>
          <NoDesktopShortcut>False</NoDesktopShortcut>
          <NoStartMenuShortcut>False</NoStartMenuShortcut>
          <LongRunningUnattended>False</LongRunningUnattended>
        </ApplicationLaunchOptionRecord>
      </LaunchOptionsRecord>
This is a first. An EA game appearing on Steam. Nothing has been announced yet of course but from that page I think it's safe to say its coming.

Now lets start speculation. Could it be first of many EA games to appear on Steam? (Mirrors Edge, Battlefield, Red Alert 3, Dead Space etc etc). Will it be region locked? (wouldnt be suprised). Will it have region based pricing (again i wouldnt be suprised). Or was it a straight Crytek->Valve deal, cutting out EA altogether?

Still. Good news

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-09-12 10:41:02)

Bernadictus
+1,055|6707

The Steam platform is far better than the EA Downloader service, but still. I prefer a sexy dvd.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Bernadictus wrote:

The Steam platform is far better than the EA Downloader service, but still. I prefer a sexy dvd.
Yeah DVD is more for me, that way I don't have to keep re-downloading if something goes horrifically wrong.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
You know you can back up any Steam game to a DVD yourself? Then you get the best of both worlds. Unlimited downloads + hard copy.

You'll still need Steam + internet to install them again though.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-09-12 10:39:29)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
This isn't really a good thing; Steam's store is the online equivalent of a bargain bin. It's a true sign that a game is dying and/or is desperate for more quick sales. Unless of course the product is a Valve-game or a Steam-affiliated partner . But for the likes of Age of Conan and Crysis, this is simply a silent nod towards admitting that the game's hype has died and now their money-well is drying up!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240

Uzique wrote:

This isn't really a good thing; Steam's store is the online equivalent of a bargain bin. It's a true sign that a game is dying and/or is desperate for more quick sales. Unless of course the product is a Valve-game or a Steam-affiliated partner . But for the likes of Age of Conan and Crysis, this is simply a silent nod towards admitting that the game's hype has died and now their money-well is drying up!
Crysis Warhead is also apparently there somewhere. That's new.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-09-12 12:03:21)

Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5721|شمال
I prefer a sexy dvd.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
I've already got the Special Edition (with the AWESOME soundtrack) on PC DVD, so I don't need it.

Pretty cool though. Would love to see Warhead on there.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Poseidon wrote:

I've already got the Special Edition (with the AWESOME soundtrack) on PC DVD, so I don't need it.

Can't wait for warhead, I only just beat min specs, so I've had issues arise on Crysis, but Warhead apparently runs better so, yay
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

M.O.A.B wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Can't wait for warhead, I only just beat min specs, so I've had issues arise on Crysis, but Warhead apparently runs better so, yay
Warhead runs much better from what I hear.

Unfortunately, it's just likes Mercs and Spore. Other games have higher priority for me right now.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
Steam is slow to log in compared to xfire
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

War Man wrote:

You're joking, right?

You honestly can't be comparing the two...two completely separate programs.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6576|Greenwood, IN

Bernadictus wrote:

Do you think EA realized this?  Because, a partnership between Valve and EA for online distro of games would probably increase sells.  I know for one I would buy more EA games if Valve was allowed to handle the online content.  I don't like DVDs as much as I use too but I can see why you would want a hard copy.

Edit: What if they brought the BattleField series to Steam. 0_o OMG the possibilities.

Last edited by Naturn (2008-09-12 16:30:47)

Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6406
If EA comes to steam that would be great, EA's DLM is horrible (except localised prices for the UK).

Edit: Just realised this would probably mean zero DRM on Spore or Mass Effect too.

Last edited by Fat_Swinub (2008-09-12 16:42:02)

Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6372|dm_maidenhead
https://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z227/petermassingale/crysis.png
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5945|England

dont get the hype
i thought crysis sucked a fat one
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Told ya
War Man

Poseidon wrote:

War Man wrote:

You're joking, right?

I am not, I am comparing the log in speed.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

War Man wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

War Man wrote:

You're joking, right?

Xfire is a simple messenger program. Steam has to load up your games, your friends list, the steam browser, and other things.

OBVIOUSLY Steam's going to log in slower.
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5945|England

just ignore him pose
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Poseidon wrote:

War Man wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

You're joking, right?

Xfire is a simple messenger program. Steam has to load up your games, your friends list, the steam browser, and other things.

To be fair Xfire does quite a bit more than that whilst it logs in and synchronises with the servers, but fair enough .

And of course Crysis Warhead will be released on Steam too if Crysis is... that's not my point; my point was that it's generally an indicator that the game's retail figures sucked, if the games company and producers want to change their method of distrubution and whore the game out to a new online platform.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
War Man

SamTheMan:D wrote:

just ignore him pose
Oh goody, less people quoting me=less stress. LOL
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Uzique wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

War Man wrote:

To be fair Xfire does quite a bit more than that whilst it logs in and synchronises with the servers, but fair enough .

And of course Crysis Warhead will be released on Steam too if Crysis is... that's not my point; my point was that it's generally an indicator that the game's retail figures sucked, if the games company and producers want to change their method of distrubution and whore the game out to a new online platform.
It sold somewhere between 1.5 officially and unofficially 3 million copies overall.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240

Uzique wrote:

I think there's nothing wrong with expanding the audience . But yes I know what you mean. Crytek have done nothing but complain about their sales since the game was released, despite the fact that they sold well over a million for a top-top-top of the line game that hardly anyone could run and they made a profit.

Hopefully good sales on Steam will shut them up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard