lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA
I got this in my inbasket today enjoy:

You couldn't get a job at McDonalds and become district manager after 143 days of experience.

You couldn't become chief of surgery after 143 days of  experience of being a surgeon.

You couldn't get a job as a teacher and be the superintendent after 143 days of experience.

You couldn't join the military and become a colonel after a 143 days of experience.

You couldn't get a job as a reporter and become the nightly news anchor after 143 days of experience.

BUT....   

'From the time Barack Obama was sworn in as a United States Senator, to the time he announced he was forming a Presidential exploratory committee, he logged 143 days of experience in  the Senate. That's how many days the Senate was actually in session and working.  After 143 days of work experience, Obama believed he was ready to be Commander In Chief, Leader of the  Free World .... 143 days.

We all have to start somewhere. The senate is a good start, but after 143 days, that's all it is - a   start.

AND, strangely, a large sector of the American  public is okay with this and campaigning for him. We wouldn't accept this in our own line of work, yet some are okay with this for the President of the United States of America?  Come on folks, we are not voting for the next American Idol!
Would you hire someone with only 143 days experience to operate your business? Is this the kind of CHANGE you want?
Hakei
Banned
+295|5996
I love how people deface others in order to proclaim themselves. Politics, lulz.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6641|Your moms bedroom
the only "experience" politicans have is learning how to bank from doing rich people favors

besides. look what Bush has done with 8 years experience as president, has he gotten better?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

lowing wrote:

You couldn't get a job at McDonalds and become district manager after 143 days of experience.

You couldn't become chief of surgery after 143 days of  experience of being a surgeon.

You couldn't get a job as a teacher and be the superintendent after 143 days of experience.

You couldn't join the military and become a colonel after a 143 days of experience.

You couldn't get a job as a reporter and become the nightly news anchor after 143 days of experience.

BUT....   

'From the time Barack Obama was sworn in as a United States Senator, to the time he announced he was forming a Presidential exploratory committee, he logged 143 days of experience in  the Senate. That's how many days the Senate was actually in session and working.  After 143 days of work experience, Obama believed he was ready to be Commander In Chief, Leader of the  Free World .... 143 days.

We all have to start somewhere. The senate is a good start, but after 143 days, that's all it is - a   start.

AND, strangely, a large sector of the American  public is okay with this and campaigning for him. We wouldn't accept this in our own line of work, yet some are okay with this for the President of the United States of America?  Come on folks, we are not voting for the next American Idol!
Would you hire someone with only 143 days experience to operate your business? Is this the kind of CHANGE you want?
So Obamas total experience with politics is 143 days as Senator, nothing before that ... nothing at all ?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Varegg wrote:

lowing wrote:

BUT....   

So Obamas total experience with politics is 143 days as Senator, nothing before that ... nothing at all ?
uhhhhhhhhhhh, he was a "community organizer"?
Varegg
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

Obama was sworn in as a senator on January 4, 2005

Guess he was a lot on vacation if only working 143 days in 3,5 years
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
Sounds like a clever (well not really) way of manipulating working hours to get a message across.
PureFodder
+225|6286
... because years of becoming a seasoned politician, getting friendly with the special interest groups, knowing which backs to sctatch etc. is going to make a leader who will change how politics in Washington works?

I guess it would be very bad if you are a big fan of the current US political system?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556
If anything I would say a lack of exposure to Washington politics is a good thing, steaming pile of corruption that it is. Isn't that what his message is: change?

Edit: PureFodder beat me to it...

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-09-09 09:38:17)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
he logged 143 days of experience in  the Senate
Now here's the fun bit, what do they mean by that? Do they mean 143 days as in the total time in days, in working hours? Or 143 days as in, actual days.

143 days is a fair amount of hours, if it's counted in hours, when it comes to the working world. That's 3432 hours. Now on a standard 9-5 job that's actually 429 days. Which is about 1.2 years of work without holidays. Which, is still quite a short amount of time, but not as short as they say.

I think.

I'm speaking for politics in general here, old school "experienced" politicians hardly ever do good. In a time like this, I'd want a refreshing change. Perhaps someone with not as much experience would actually be better. Perhaps a breath of fresh air is what's needed. How can you know that "no experience" is a bad thing, when it's never been tried out before?

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-09-09 09:42:59)

OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6650|Washington DC

Organizing a political campaign is probably his most relevant experience ... he has done that quite well, and better than McCain.

But, yeah, overall there's not much of a track record with Obama.  Hard to tell what we would get behind the well-groomed facade ...

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

he logged 143 days of experience in  the Senate
Now here's the fun bit, what do they mean by that? Do they mean 143 days as in the total time in days, in working hours? Or 143 days as in, actual days.
Congress works their butts off ... they put in 12-18 hour days, and they work more than just the time that they are in session.  It's pretty much 80 hour weeks, and even much work before one is sworn into office.

But, remember, Congress is all about  "political experience" and not much about "executive experience".  Congress is focused on getting enough votes together in order to pass legislation that is on one's agenda, so you sell your soul to some agendas in order to get others to bend over for your agenda ... it's political maneuvering with a small staff.

The President runs a HUGE organization with over 2.5 million employees and the management of over a TRILLION dollars over the course of a four-year administration.  Sure there's some politics, but it is a job that neither Obama and McCain have much experience with.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5751|شمال
excuse me guys, but i LOLD @ "Leader of the  Free World"
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.

Beduin wrote:

I think we all did, but that aside...

It's not like a soldier becoming a Colonel in 143 days. It's like a soldier joining as a Private and serving for 3 years in which he learns about the military drills and is trained. Then after those 3 years he applies to become an officer for 143 days...
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6663|USA
Obama is young and fresh with a message that resonates across multiple demographics. Obama's intelligence and charisma is what made OTHER democratic senators push him to start that Presidential exploratory committee.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

Beduin wrote:

Same, I always laugh when I hear that. I hate it when non-US media also say that. I mean for fuck sake. It's just an opinion though, an opinion which some people agree with and others don't. I don't.

It's just that some people act like it's a fact, that's where the problems arise.

lowing wrote:

AND, strangely, a large sector of the American  public is okay with this and campaigning for him.
Ok, so basically a large sector of the US Public and all the seniors in the D party are all "strange" and "wrong" and you are right. That's the point you are trying to make at the end of the topic. Ok.

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-09-09 10:01:13)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

Yeah, and GWB had a load of experience as well.

Governor of Texas, 1994-2000
Candidate, United States House of Representatives, 1978.

So his entire political career before becoming president was one term as the governor of Texas.
OrangeHound

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

So his entire political career before becoming president was one term as the governor of Texas.
You are ignoring 10 years as a business entrepreneur and manager in the oil industry, plus about 5 years as business leadership of the Texas Rangers (baseball).

Combined with the governorship, that's nearly 20 years of executive experience.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Texas, bigger than France

Plus you forgot his stint as president of MLB's Texas Rangers.

ps. Damn you O.H.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK
I want someone who doesnt look like he going to die within the next 2 minutes.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Pug

m3thod wrote:

Oh good.  Who are you voting for in the US election?
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK

Pug wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Expand your understanding of want.
Varegg
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

OrangeHound wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

You are ignoring 10 years as a business entrepreneur and manager in the oil industry, plus about 5 years as business leadership of the Texas Rangers (baseball).

How did his business go ?
Pug

m3thod wrote:

Pug wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Not in the mood today are you?

What about FDR?

If McCain gets elected (ps. I hate both candidates right now) he's too old to do two terms...so you do have a good point.
m3thod
+2,197|6672|UK

Pug wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Pug wrote:

Not in the mood today are you?

What about FDR?

If McCain gets elected (ps. I hate both candidates right now) he's too old to do two terms...so you do have a good point.
I'll be honest i have noooo idea what FDR is or indeed the American political system.  I cant even be arsed to go read up on it.

I'm simpley rooting for what seems the lesser of 2 evils.  Not that i have any faith in said political system and its participants for that matter.
OrangeHound

Varegg wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

How did his business go ?
Actually, quite successful ... if I recall ... it is what propelled him to the governorship.

m3thod wrote:

Unfortunately, both Obama and McCain fall into this category ... which is why I'm probably voting for the VP in this election.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard