rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5863

Parker wrote:

rammunition wrote:

Parker wrote:

lol, steel weakens LONG before 1000C.
jet fuel would be sufficient to provide the heat to structurally weaken a building.
jet fuel on building 7?????
lol, my bad....i got ahead of myself.
but yes, metal will weaken enough to fail, long before 1000C. that would literally melt it....like nothing left melt it.
Steel often melts at around 1370 degrees C (2500°F), but it depends if the material has alloys added (other materials added) which could make the melting point higher or lower

Last edited by rammunition (2008-07-16 10:13:23)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6396|The Gem Saloon

rammunition wrote:

Parker wrote:

rammunition wrote:

jet fuel on building 7?????
but yes, metal will weaken enough to fail, long before 1000C. that would literally melt it....like nothing left melt it.
Steel often melts at around 1370 degrees C (2500°F), but it depends if the material has alloys added (other materials added) which could make the melting point higher or lower
ssshhhh, dont try to tell me stress temperatures for steel....youll only wind up embarrassing yourself.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5863

Parker wrote:

rammunition wrote:

Parker wrote:

ssshhhh, dont try to tell me stress temperatures for steel....youll only wind up embarrassing yourself.
why???

are you an engineer or something???
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

rammunition wrote:

Parker wrote:

rammunition wrote:

why???

He knows more about steel than most.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6642|Your moms bedroom
this has been debated on here before
Parker
isteal

rammunition wrote:

Parker wrote:

rammunition wrote:

why???

something like that.....i have plenty of experience with hot metal, lets put it that way.
HollisHurlbut
+51|5999
Smelter?
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6291|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

for vilham's sake, i'll vouch for the fact that that was WTC 7
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5863

Parker wrote:

rammunition wrote:

Parker wrote:

why???

something like that.....i have plenty of experience with hot metal, lets put it that way.
got it , well im a engineering student and do touch on melting points from time to time
Parker
isteal

rammunition wrote:

Parker wrote:

rammunition wrote:

why???

got it , well im a engineering student and do touch on melting points from time to time
the way i learned is by looking at steel as sand.
i know it sounds out there, but stick with me.

ok, so imagine a piece of steel is made from billions of little tiny grains of sand. when you get that piece of steel, it has already been heat treated so that those "grains", are compact and tight. no flexibility...at all.
now, as you apply heat to that piece of steel, those grains start to expand....without control, that expansion will continue until, well it isnt able to hold itself together. (the japanese were the ones to first touch on this, thus you hear the stories about the samurai swords that cut through armor etc.)

now, we can talk melting points all day long, but as you already stated, different metals contain different alloys that produce different results. there is one thing that remains a constant though: carbon buildup.
when heat is applied, particularly flame, carbon buildup becomes a real problem...look at it as "dead spots" in the "grains". in that situation, it would only compound the heat to weaken the steel that much faster.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6345|tropical regions of london
it was the jews.
Parker
isteal

God Save the Queen wrote:

it was the jews.
it was.

also, fossils are just some shit they buried in 1926.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5863

Parker wrote:

rammunition wrote:

Parker wrote:

ok, so imagine a piece of steel is made from billions of little tiny grains of sand. when you get that piece of steel, it has already been heat treated so that those "grains", are compact and tight. no flexibility...at all.
now, as you apply heat to that piece of steel, those grains start to expand....without control, that expansion will continue until, well it isnt able to hold itself together. (the japanese were the ones to first touch on this, thus you hear the stories about the samurai swords that cut through armor etc.)

now, we can talk melting points all day long, but as you already stated, different metals contain different alloys that produce different results. there is one thing that remains a constant though: carbon buildup.
when heat is applied, particularly flame, carbon buildup becomes a real problem...look at it as "dead spots" in the "grains". in that situation, it would only compound the heat to weaken the steel that much faster.
not touched on the carbon build up but interestingly put.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6527|South Florida

rammunition wrote:

Parker wrote:

rammunition wrote:

not touched on the carbon build up but i just got owned.
Fixed.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
Parker know more about metal than everyone in BF2s put together.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6568|England

M.O.A.B wrote:

rammunition wrote:

its interesting what happened to building 7, i am a Engineering student btw and i did ask one of my lecturers at college is it possible for fire to demolish a building, his reply was no and he does have a few doubts aswell.
I'm pretty sure fire can demolish a building, for exmaple, extreme heat melting the steel support beams holding up the floors therefore leading to a collapse.
Yes, fire can demolish a building. What you have to understand is that it takes EXTREME heat to melt steel. Steel is designed to act either elastically or plastically. If steel is loaded beyond its yield point, it will start acting plastically until it reaches its breaking point. Steel actually acts surprisingly well in fire, British Steel and the SCI did a test ~ 10 years ago, they purposely built a huge shed (like an aircraft hanger) and then built a multi-storey building inside (I believe it was 3-4 storeys high)...just to test it. It came out very well, previously having believed that he critical point was ~ 550degrees C...but tests showed the steel in excess of 800degrees C in some instances, and it didnt collapse.

Steel is usually given a 1hour fire protection rating in modern structures, which can be increased by, say, encasing it in concrete or boarding it out. For MOD buildings, I believe they have to have 2hours of fire protection.

You are also forgetting about progressive and disproportionate collapse, as well as tying forces. Back in the 60's, a 30storey block of flats in London had a gas explosion in a flat near the top: every flat below it all the way down to about the 3rd floor was also blown away, and thats because the building wasnt properly tied (this is accounted for in the connections).
What Im trying to say, is that even if a connection, the load spreads elsewhere. A building is never designed to work 100% efficiently, you build in safety factors of up to 1.6x the load to design steel members: and then the member would likely be working at anything between 50-80% of its capacity. That beam will be designed to resist such forces as shear and bending moments. Connections will then be designed, and they will probably be working at 50-80% of capacity, which means that there is, again, a safety factor built in. So lets say that 6 columns, all in a square, all failed, then yes, it probably would lead to collapse.
However, for that happen, requires a TREMENDOUS increase in force (we are talking several hundred tonnes) which, short of a plane packed with explosives hitting the building, I honestly cannot see happening. The building didnt get plastered in highly volatile jet fuel and set alight, and the damage the building took from the collapse of the north (?) tower wasnt that substancial: it was more damage to the outside face, which contributes nothing to the structural integrity of the building. If anything, if it has lost some of its outside facade, the frame is supporting less load.
Not only that, but lets say that a part of the collapsing tower hit WTC#7, where would it hit? The roof. If part of the roof collapsed, this wouldnt cause failure of columns and/or beam and their connections, because a roof is designed to take snow loading (very heavy). If you think debris falling 100ft, to smash through the skin of the roof will somehow cause a column down on the middle floor to fail, you are wrong.

That many columns and/or beams simply could not fail in that manner unless there was something extra involved that we dont know about (on purpose or something legit happened that nobody saw). Perhaps something as "innocent" as say, the wrong grade of steel used (higher grades = stronger in certain aspects). Different grades of steel have different carbon contents (Parker has already touched on this). If an incorrect grade of steel was used for a series of columns/beams...it is already going to be acting differently than what it should be (the only way, to my knowledge, that it is identified, is a sticky label or hardstamp on the steel itself).
Now, to my mind, to heat up enough steel to cause structural failure, would require HUGE temperatures across the entire building.

If fire was the actual cause of structural failure of the building, then, as I say, you would need extreme heat, we are talking in excess of 1000 degrees C. Some random arsonist fire will not reach 1000degrees C without some catalyst to spur the fire on and seriously heat it up. Office paper and furniture would not get up to that sort of temperature. I think the fact that they found traces of Thermite Plasma on the steel kinda suggests something dodgy too - it was on BBC two weeks ago after Top Gear, and they actually showed the results analysed in the lab. Fire has never levelled a steel-framed skyscraper before or since this incident.
Remember: no plane hit this building, and up until the north tower collapsed, very little falling debris hit the tower (why would it?)
Somebody please explain to me how Thermite Plasma gets into a building, goes through all the walls and internal build'ups and gets onto the skeletal frame of the building, without somebody physically doing it themselves. Remember that WTC#7 was home to a lot of the top intelligence services...all in a single building. I find that rather...shocking, in all honesty. Shame BBC iPlayer only does the last weeks worth on TV.

I dont believe in conspiracies, however, WTC#7 and the Pentagon, when you see the evidence, does make me wonder if theres something else that isnt being said.

Edit: Incorrect dates for the cardington fire tests.

Last edited by Snake (2008-07-16 13:12:58)

HollisHurlbut
+51|5999

Snake wrote:

it was more damage to the outside face, which contributes nothing to the structural integrity of the building.
I breezed through your post, not really knowing which side of this "debate" you were on, until I saw this part.  Evidently, you are on the ignorant side.

I have no earthly idea why anyone should listen to a word you have to say on this matter.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5863

Snake wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

rammunition wrote:

its interesting what happened to building 7, i am a Engineering student btw and i did ask one of my lecturers at college is it possible for fire to demolish a building, his reply was no and he does have a few doubts aswell.
I'm pretty sure fire can demolish a building, for exmaple, extreme heat melting the steel support beams holding up the floors therefore leading to a collapse.
Yes, fire can demolish a building. What you have to understand is that it takes EXTREME heat to melt steel. Steel is designed to act either elastically or plastically. If steel is loaded beyond its yield point, it will start acting plastically until it reaches its breaking point. Steel actually acts surprisingly well in fire, the SCI did a test 20 or 30 years ago, they purposely built a huge shed (like an aircraft hanger) and then built a multi-storey building inside (I believe it was 3-4 storeys high)...just to test it. It came out very well, but obviously not as good as, say, concrete.
Which is why steel is usually given a 1hour fire protection rating in modern structures, which can be increased by, say, encasing it in concrete or boarding it out. For MOD buildings, I believe they have to have 2hours of fire protection.

You are also forgetting about progressive and disproportionate collapse, as well as tying forces. Back in the 60's, a 30storey block of flats in London had a gas explosion in a flat near the top: every flat below it all the way down to about the 3rd floor was also blown away, and thats because the building wasnt properly tied (this is accounted for in the connections).
What Im trying to say, is that even if a connection, the load spreads elsewhere. A building is never designed to work 100% efficiently, you build in safety factors of up to 1.6x the load to design steel members: and then the member would likely be working at anything between 50-80% of its capacity. That beam will be designed to resist such forces as shear and bending moments. Connections will then be designed, and they will probably be working at 50-80% of capacity, which means that there is, again, a safety factor built in. So lets say that 6 columns, all in a square, all failed, then yes, it probably would lead to collapse.
However, for that happen, requires a TREMENDOUS increase in force (we are talking several hundred tonnes) which, short of a plane packed with explosives hitting the building, I honestly cannot see happening. The building didnt get plastered in highly volatile jet fuel and set alight, and the damage the building took from the collapse of the north (?) tower wasnt that substancial: it was more damage to the outside face, which contributes nothing to the structural integrity of the building. If anything, if it has lost some of its outside facade, the frame is supporting less load.
Not only that, but lets say that a part of the collapsing tower hit WTC#7, where would it hit? The roof. If part of the roof collapsed, this wouldnt cause failure of columns and/or beam and their connections, because a roof is designed to take snow loading (very heavy). If you think debris falling 100ft, to smash through the skin of the roof will somehow cause a column down on the middle floor to fail, you are wrong.

That many columns and/or beams simply could not fail in that manner unless there was something extra involved that we dont know about (on purpose or something legit happened that nobody saw). Perhaps something as "innocent" as say, the wrong grade of steel used (higher grades = stronger in certain aspects). Different grades of steel have different carbon contents (Parker has already touched on this). If an incorrect grade of steel was used for a series of columns/beams...it is already going to be acting differently than what it should be (the only way, to my knowledge, that it is identified, is a sticky label or hardstamp on the steel itself).
Now, to my mind, to heat up enough steel to cause structural failure, would require HUGE temperatures across the entire building.

If fire was the actual cause of structural failure of the building, then, as I say, you would need extreme heat, we are talking in excess of 1000 degrees C. Some random arsonist fire will not reach 1000degrees C without some catalyst to spur the fire on and seriously heat it up. Office paper and furniture would not get up to that sort of temperature. I think the fact that they found traces of Thermite Plasma on the steel kinda suggests something dodgy too - it was on BBC two weeks ago after Top Gear, and they actually showed the results analysed in the lab. Fire has never levelled a steel-framed skyscraper before or since this incident.
Remember: no plane hit this building, and up until the north tower collapsed, very little falling debris hit the tower (why would it?)
Somebody please explain to me how Thermite Plasma gets into a building, goes through all the walls and internal build'ups and gets onto the skeletal frame of the building, without somebody physically doing it themselves. Remember that WTC#7 was home to a lot of the top intelligence services...all in a single building. I find that rather...shocking, in all honesty. Shame BBC iPlayer only does the last weeks worth on TV.

I dont believe in conspiracies, however, WTC#7 and the Pentagon, when you see the evidence, does make me wonder if theres something else that isnt being said.
very interesting must say
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6568|England

HollisHurlbut wrote:

Snake wrote:

it was more damage to the outside face, which contributes nothing to the structural integrity of the building.
I breezed through your post, not really knowing which side of this "debate" you were on, until I saw this part.  Evidently, you are on the ignorant side.
Congratulations, you are talking about WTC#1 & 2.

The outside cladding of a building doesnt contribute to its structural integrity: buildings are constructed as a frame before cladding is applied hence a frame can stand under its weight (if its designed correctly, that is). All of this is, unless, of course, if it was the perimeter columns that got hit by falling debris, and you would need an awful lot to make a column fail from that, and then a hell of a lot of columns to then fail as a result to make it collapse. To make WTC7 collapse in the manner it did, would require taking out every single one of its core and perimeter columns at the same time. Explain how that is possible.
If just a single side of the building collapsed, wouldnt that have resulted in the building toppling as well, i.e. to one side, rather than a "neat" pile of debris in the buildings footprint?

Ignorant side? No. Curious side? Yes. Im still reading up on this whole incident of WTC7.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6225|Escea

Snake wrote:

HollisHurlbut wrote:

Snake wrote:

Congratulations, you are talking about WTC#1 & 2.

The outside cladding of a building doesnt contribute to its structural integrity: buildings are constructed as a frame before cladding is applied hence a frame can stand under its weight (if its designed correctly, that is). All of this is, unless, of course, if it was the perimeter columns that got hit by falling debris, and you would need an awful lot to make a column fail from that, and then a hell of a lot of columns to then fail as a result to make it collapse. To make WTC7 collapse in the manner it did, would require taking out every single one of its core and perimeter columns at the same time. Explain how that is possible.
If just a single side of the building collapsed, wouldnt that have resulted in the building toppling as well, i.e. to one side, rather than a "neat" pile of debris in the buildings footprint?

Ignorant side? No. Curious side? Yes. Im still reading up on this whole incident of WTC7.
Argh Snake tone down on the text!
Locoloki
so what your saying is, someone ran in their and rigged explosives from the inside out while fear of the building collapsing on top of them while they drilled into the core structures to place their charges? Or the charges were already in place and the government allowed planes to get hijacked and crash in to the building so they could purposely blow up another building, why not just level all the buildings then? Why not make it a WMD and not a hijacked plane?

Conspiracy Theories = Fail
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5863

an interesting video, Pull means to demolish/detonate
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6722|California

Didn't take an engineer to figure out that 7 was coming down. City planners and the IC of the WTC incident deemed the building lost, marked it as so, and moved on. BBC probably got the report from a firefighter saying that it was lost, and that it was an eminent collapse. Which it was.
Locoloki

rammunition wrote:

an interesting video, Pull means to demolish/detonate
Or he could be meaning pull it (the plug) meaning get your fucking men out of there before it collapses.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard