Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6567|USA
so i recently opened a checking account and its full of disposable income and because of an incident at weiner-schitzel (it would only accept the 1.72 for a goddamn coke if it was charged as debit rather than credit) my mom wants me to test it out via online purchases. the only new games i'd be getting is TF2 hl2:2 and portal, but its still like 40 bucks difference.

anyways, is this a worthy expenditure of 44 bucks or should i get something else?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6702|67.222.138.85
So, so worth it. Best value of any game, ever I think.
cablecopulate
+449|6734|Massachusetts.
Well, that whole backstory made no sense, but yes Orange Box is worth 40 bucks.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6567|USA

cablecopulate wrote:

Well, that whole backstory made no sense, but yes Orange Box is worth 40 bucks.
lol ya i guess it didn't. thanks guys.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6464
The OrangeBox is better than sex. All the fun, none of the humiliation.
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5925|NY/CT
chyea
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6738|FUCK UBISOFT

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Twice the humiliation.

Oooooh they're gunta hafta glue you back together... IN HELL

Thanks for standing still... Wanker
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6687|Devon, England
I would personally say no.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6444

Only TF2.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6533|Long Island, New York
Yes. HL2: Ep 2 is amazing, Portal is incredible, and TF2 will last for ages.

Although, only if it's for PC.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6515|Adelaide, South Australia

Get it.

Also:

Miggle wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Twice the humiliation.

Bonk!
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6489|N. Ireland
Yes.

Portal - a lot of fun
TF2 - you'll be able to come to my get-togethers and the game itself is really fun
HL2:EP2 - If you haven't played HL2, HL2:EP1 you need to. EP2 is fantastic
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6384|New York
The Orange Box is worth every penny, and then some.

The character classes in TF2 are so animated and unique that it makes me smile every time I play it.
The Half Life 2 games are probably some of the best single player FPS I've ever played.
Portal is an amazing puzzle game with so much personality and depth.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6230|S.A. Australia
Portal alone is worth the price of the whole thing...well maybe not quite, but Portal and TF2 definatly is.
Serious Flex
weasel_thingo
+74|6322
The games all suck, but go for it.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6533|Long Island, New York

weasel_thingo wrote:

Failtroll is fail.
dill13
+67|6189

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Get it.

Also:

Miggle wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Twice the humiliation.

Bonk!
what kinda sick man send babies to fight me (in russian accent)

Last edited by dill13 (2008-07-03 21:13:52)

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6266
The best game to come out in 2007 was TF2 by far. With Ep2 and Portal coming close behind. So yes. Definitely.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5784|Catherine Black
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
weasel_thingo
+74|6322

Poseidon wrote:

weasel_thingo wrote:

Failtroll is fail.
Portal is 2 hours of gameplay that is all repetitive, and the worst "boss" fight ever, if you found the game challenging you have a fucking serious mental disorder and with it being a puzzle game that kinda makes it shit.
Half Life is too fucking linear (also like portal it is repetitive and only worth a few hours of gameplay)
and TF2 is just shit, takes shit all skill and I can't really be fucked explaining how terrible it is, as it won't change your mind as you enjoy it, so there is no hope left for you.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6266

weasel_thingo wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

weasel_thingo wrote:

Failtroll is fail.
Portal is 2 hours of gameplay that is all repetitive, and the worst "boss" fight ever, if you found the game challenging you have a fucking serious mental disorder and with it being a puzzle game that kinda makes it shit.
Half Life is too fucking linear (also like portal it is repetitive and only worth a few hours of gameplay)
and TF2 is just shit, takes shit all skill and I can't really be fucked explaining how terrible it is, as it won't change your mind as you enjoy it, so there is no hope left for you.
Steady on. Bloody hell someone would think Valve killed your family or something.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466

weasel_thingo wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

weasel_thingo wrote:

Failtroll is fail.

Portal was widely acclaimed because it was different, and entertaining. Sorry the boss fight wasn't hard enough for you, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the actual point of the game. After all, a game sucessively leading up to a final boss fight would have been far too predictable and linear- wouldn't it? Portal is a great hype-machine / trivia experience that adds a lot (of speculation) to the back story of the expansive Half Life universe... that's chiefly why it was such a success to the community. Half Life has been commented on as being linear, but it is a great game in all of it's linearity- the puzzles and bursts of combat give a good impetus that leads the player through the fantastic storyline. I'm not a Half Life fanboy by any means- but please direct me to games that have such a good storyline that aren't predictable or cliché; I'll play them with equal eagerness and enjoyment.

Your criticism of Team Fortress 2 as taking "Shit all skill" (Nice alliterature and sibillance there for effect! Perhaps you are an intelligent poster after all. /sarcasm) just shows how flawed and lulz-worthy your opinion is. TF2 was voted the Multiplayer FPS of the year, and it is the best team-based FPS out nowadays. Public play and clanmatches alike work on the basic principles of cooperation and teamwork being the key to success and victory. The major draw of the online community to TF2 is the fact that personal skill means so little in matches... if you want the trite and boring experience of being thrashed by a 'team' because one of their players is high-skill, go back to Call of Duty 4 or Unreal Tournament.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-07-04 08:04:38)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dookie0119
+43|5774
Deffinately worth it. 5 games at the price of 1. TF2's the best.
weasel_thingo
+74|6322

Uzique wrote:

weasel_thingo wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Failtroll is fail.

Portal was widely acclaimed because it was different, and entertaining. Sorry the boss fight wasn't hard enough for you, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the actual point of the game. After all, a game sucessively leading up to a final boss fight would have been far too predictable and linear- wouldn't it? Portal is a great hype-machine / trivia experience that adds a lot (of speculation) to the back story of the expansive Half Life universe... that's chiefly why it was such a success to the community. Half Life has been commented on as being linear, but it is a great game in all of it's linearity- the puzzles and bursts of combat give a good impetus that leads the player through the fantastic storyline. I'm not a Half Life fanboy by any means- but please direct me to games that have such a good storyline that aren't predictable or cliché; I'll play them with equal eagerness and enjoyment.

Your criticism of Team Fortress 2 as taking "Shit all skill" (Nice alliterature and sibillance there for effect! Perhaps you are an intelligent poster after all. /sarcasm) just shows how flawed and lulz-worthy your opinion is. TF2 was voted the Multiplayer FPS of the year, and it is the best team-based FPS out nowadays. Public play and clanmatches alike work on the basic principles of cooperation and teamwork being the key to success and victory. The major draw of the online community to TF2 is the fact that personal skill means so little in matches... if you want the trite and boring experience of being thrashed by a 'team' because one of their players is high-skill, go back to Call of Duty 4 or Unreal Tournament.
Yes Portal was different, doesn't really matter though, basically the only challenge they could think of was;
|
|       ___x
|       |
|_o__|

You being the "o" and you have to get to the x, all you have to do is put a portal high on the wall behind you and one on the ground, you either just jump through the one on the ground and if you dont get enough length you land in it again. At first it was ok, didn't take any thinking though as they told you that you had to do it, then the next level was pretty much the same thing and then again. Like i said Portal is a puzzle game, puzzle games are supposed to be challenging or atleast make you think a bit, and Portal failed to do that. It wasn't hard, it got old quickly, it has little to no replay value, because of this it wasn't very entertaining. Also I don't have a problem with Portal being linear as it had more of an excuse to be linear, half life however doesn't.

Half Life I will admit can be good can be bad depending on you opinion, it doesn't have too many flaws apart from stuff that is just opinion, and I for one dislike it. Also not really relevant to the game being good or bad, but ffs couldn't they make more than 5 character models? It's just retarded seeing 10+ zombies coming at you all looking exactly the same wearing the same stuff.

TF2 taking no skill;
No headshots.
Running doesn't decrease accuracy.
Crouching doesn't increase accuracy.
Critical hits in an FPS. (I don't see how people can really defend crits, the only thing critical hits can do is make people who would lose win, as the people who win will win anyway)
Firing fully automatic doesn't decrease accuracy, the first shot is just as accurate as the 200th.
No aiming/ironsights etc.
No friendly fire. (I know that this would affect a few classes, but IMO they shouldn't have removed it and just implemented something to make it work. I would have liked to play Spy which is more about skill and trying to blend in with your enemies or whatever, right now it doesn't matter how legit you look people are going to spam half of their ammunition into you as there is no consequence for it, making spy at times being about luck)
Because of this most classes are just constantly spamming.
There is more, but like I said before, you wont change your mind, so I don't see the point in trying to prove a point to you.

I don't have much of a problem with skilled players standing out, as they should as they are skilled. A skilled player should be able to kill a bad player nearly all the time, the bad player will eventually learn how to play better, in TF2 you won't be getting much better as just spamming all the time works quite well ( there are a few other basics, but all in all it's an easy game to master). Also other games can take just as much team work as TF2, just because good players can actually be good at the game doesn't mean there is no team play... And I never minded getting thrashed by a "team" in other games, I actually found the challenge fun and because of this I got better, now I am usually one of the ones who is the "team", when there is a better player I still enjoy the challenge. In BF2 I didn't mind it when my team was stuck to one base and was being base raped (unless this was the carrier and we couldn't take off) It was annoying at times, but I liked trying to break away from the base and then spamming squad invites, and when I was playing with a friend or a good player this is where real team work came in, more than what I have ever seen happen in TF2. In TF2 at times all you need is a demoman/soldier to wipe their defence usually with a medic (healing as a medic isn't that skillfull either) anyways then you just cap or whatever.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466
TF2 does have headshots with the only class that really matters; Sniper. It's a teamgame, and the focus is on achieving the objective and winning the round, not getting a great kill:death ratio- so all of your 'criticisms' of the shooting are irrelevant and also ridiculous. Ironsights, what? It's Team Fortress, not Americas Army or Battlefield 2. Accuracy doesn't matter because all of the guns are rocket launchers / shotguns / flamethrowers... why would you need 'accuracy' and control of spray with that? Completely irrelevant and furthermore, a useless criticism.

Your 'spam' comment I feel is made from public experience, and essentially Team Fortress 2 as a team game only comes into its element during proper team matches- so your comment is again rather ill-made.

Your examples of a Medic/Demoman being able to clear blocks and Engineer bases is actually a compliment to the games intrinsic requirement for teamwork and cooperation- although sadly 'teamwork' in publics doesn't really extend any further than Medic combos. This game is brilliant though... and no comparisons to games such as Battlefield 2 can detract from its simplistic brilliance. It is a must-have for any PC gamer, regardless of your personal opinion. I'd personally recommend that you seek a proper team and get playing with a bunch of serious players- you'll see the game in a different light
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard