Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271
Well, it looks like DOD:S is getting a pretty big update soon.

A few highlights..

Leveraging the recently released free set of services available in Steamworks, the Day of Defeat update will add 51 achievements for DoD, player avatar display in the scoreboard and win panel, and detailed player statistics integrated with the Steam Community features (www.steamcommunity.com).
This update also adds support for popular features introduced in Valve's Team Fortress 2 (...) including "nemesis/revenge" freeze cam and new effects driven by the particle system introduced to the Source engine for TF2.
I don't have DOD:S myself, but thats pretty cool. I wonder when they'll do the same for CS:S. Click on the link i gave to see how to get in on it (which anyone with the game can do right now).

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-05-25 09:36:27)

kptk92
u
+972|6409|tc_london
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6743|FUCK UBISOFT

Yeah, it's pretty cool.

I happen to be in the beta, and it gives the game a lot more reason to play it. The freezecam and nemesis features are pretty cool as well, valve's trying to bring the success of TF2 into their older games.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271
Can someone in the beta post their steam id page. I'm interested to see what kind of stuff there is.
cablecopulate
+449|6739|Massachusetts.
Add that shit to CSS already.
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6703
I do think it's great that they even update their older games for free!
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York
Achievements are so awesome...they really help give you a reason to play the game longer.
d.Luxe
Banned
+64|5852

ShowMeTheMonkey wrote:

I do think it's great that they even update their older games for free!
Yeah, exactly what I thought.
kptk92
u
+972|6409|tc_london

Poseidon wrote:

Achievements are so awesome...they really help give you a reason to play the game longer.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6436
I've been playing this for the past few days. The servers crash often now because people are using the exploit to do so. I don't like most of the achievements since they're mostly "kill 150 with this" boring ones. I don't like the freezecam since that got old after a week in TF2 and I prefer to see what's going on the few seconds after I die. The balance issues I don't get either. Why would you suddenly think after two years that a game needs balancing?

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Can someone in the beta post their steam id page. I'm interested to see what kind of stuff there is.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/fat_swinub

You can try clicking on the beta link if you want, it just says invalid link when you do. They'll properly tie in achievements and stats afterwards and it's been said they'll get reset after the beta's over.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271

Fat_Swinub wrote:

I don't like the freezecam since that got old after a week in TF2 and I prefer to see what's going on the few seconds after I die.
I disagree. I still think it's great. Sure, you get hundreds of generic ones, but you get some that are pure gold. Also, they're great for showing who killed you and where they are. I was playing Bf2 not that long ago and was disappointed every time i died that there wasnt a freezecam thing.

As for the stats, I can't see them, no. I guess it'll all show up after it's properly released.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6494|N. Ireland
Achievements in Day of Defeat? *giggles ecstatically* Unfortunately I can't really stream and download at the same time, so I'm just streaming now! Will install it tomorrow...can't wait to give it a whirl, as I was starting to die interest. Just been playing a lot of dod_strand! :D

Last edited by kylef (2008-05-25 12:06:46)

Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6436

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I disagree. I still think it's great. Sure, you get hundreds of generic ones, but you get some that are pure gold. Also, they're great for showing who killed you and where they are. I was playing Bf2 not that long ago and was disappointed every time i died that there wasnt a freezecam thing.

As for the stats, I can't see them, no. I guess it'll all show up after it's properly released.
It's more or less to show off the dynamic face posing technology in TF2 which Day of Defeat Source lacks and even though you get a nice shot of where the guy is, the camera used to point in the direction the guy was in anyway so you could see where he was. I don't mind them adding it in but I would rather an option to turn it off.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271
Yeah, i can see how they'll be less interesting without any facial animations.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6650|Washington DC

I play DoD:S a lot ... and the achievements might be an interesting touch, however I REALLY do not want to see the freeze frame after a death.  That is the one thing about TF2 that I hate.

But, whatever, its not that big of a deal (just wish I could disable that one feature).
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271
It might be disableableable.

The press release does say: "This update also adds support for popular features"
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6436
Anyone who is curious to the complete changelog, here it is:

Changes in this update:

- added Dod_Palermo, updated map based on Dod_Salerno by Insta
- added Steamworks features, including achievements and player avatars
- added Nemesis and Revenge
- added Freeze Cam
- friendly players no longer collide with each other
- many particle systems have been improved
- changed the algorithm for bullet spread to be more like the original Day of Defeat
- reduced Garand recoil
- View position is now adjusted when zoomed with rifles and sniper rifles to help with player visibility around corners

Planned changes not in this update:

- Per-player stats linked to Steam Community
- many map exploit fixes
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271
- friendly players no longer collide with each other
- changed the algorithm for bullet spread to be more like the original Day of Defeat

Pretty huge changes there. Imagine if they changed how the bullets worked in CS . I think thousands of players would quit there and then. I'm useless at CS so it wouldnt bother me of course.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6494|N. Ireland

OrangeHound wrote:

I play DoD:S a lot ... and the achievements might be an interesting touch, however I REALLY do not want to see the freeze frame after a death.  That is the one thing about TF2 that I hate.

But, whatever, its not that big of a deal (just wish I could disable that one feature).
Same for me, to be honest. It isn't so bad in a "comedy game" like TF2, but DOD tries to be a world war shooter and it just doesn't fit in at all..
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5975|England

kptk92 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

kptk92
u
+972|6409|tc_london
Downloading the Beta
dtacs
say that 2 my face fucker not online
+126|5835|Australia
i love dods, wanna get the game but i outdid my quota :<

i hope they lower the unproned fire on the heavy MG
https://battlelog-cdn.battlefield.com/public/profile/bf3/kit-icon-recon.png?v=3173239
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6494|N. Ireland
The intro to this game is the best intro to a game I have ever heard. Ever.

It is stunning.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard