ScarletPimpFromHell
... this one goes to 11.
+12|6390|Sydney, Australia
I haven't got my head completely around the whole Curve Fitting / Interpolation / Extrapolation algorithms that I found when I googled Interpolation but I'll offer my current thoughts.

* As i understand it, the basic idea of mathematical Interpolation is a method of "predicting" or extrapolating a reasonably accurate value given at set of previously obtained samples.

* These samples in BF2 terms would be your current x,y,z map co-ordinates. The relevant CVAR may be the frequency at which your client sends your co-ordinates to the server. I.E by default your client sends 10 samples a second to the server (100 milliseconds = 1/10 of a second).

* Now if your average latency is 50 milliseconds (that means that a complete return trip from your machine to the server and back again) your client could on average send two shots per interpolation sample period.
I hope the simple illustration below helps explain my thoughts so far.

I Sample                                                                                                                                I Sample
v                                                                                                                                                v
0---------10---------20---------30---------40---------50---------60---------70---------80---------90---------100
                                    ^                                  \/                                  ^                                  \/
                                 Shot Fired                 Server rego                     Shot Fired                 Server Rego

* So when the server receives the "Shot Fired" message from your client it must extrapolate where your target may reasonably be based on the samples it received from your targets Interpolation Samples.

Now I just gotta work out how theses algorithms apply to the game.
ECH
+50|6645|Some where near you
Wow, this is incredible.  Has anyone else tried this yet?
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6654|pimelteror.de
we are still testing it. for some it really seems to work...
Tro0per
Take off, hosers
+24|6418|Ontario, Canada
hmm I gotta check this out
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6654|pimelteror.de
it seems to work better with:

SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.030000 (because my average ping is 30ms)
&
SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 50

but still i do not know for sure, which impact these settings do have.
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6398|Indianapolis, IN
Ok, I have tried this fix albeit when I set it to 400 I didn't seem to have any kind of affect. So I changed it to 50, I am not a badass BF2 player or anything, but I am decent. Well, my average score is 30-50pnts IAR, after I changed my HITREG this is the score I got on Karkand playing lone-wolf as a medic.

https://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/misconfiguration/screen012.png

So it seems as if I was actually killing what I shot at, which was odd even with a pistol I was taking guys out.

Shortly after I got a score of  183 IAR lone-wolf no vehicles.

Last edited by misconfiguration (2006-11-11 22:34:04)

[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6654|pimelteror.de
so arenĀ“t there any further testers out there?
[RFW]Xenomorph
+9|6384|Sweden
i noticed that when i try to revive someone i often just get the "bzzt" "bloff", will this have anything to do with it or does it just apply to moving targets?
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6621|Mhz

No that's because the guy you're trying to revive is dead as opposed to critically wounded.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2006-11-15 10:58:12)

[RFW]Xenomorph
+9|6384|Sweden
no, i sometimes get those "misses" or whatever and manages to revive him on the third to fifth attempt
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6398|Indianapolis, IN

[RFW]Xenomorph wrote:

no, i sometimes get those "misses" or whatever and manages to revive him on the third to fifth attempt
That depends on where the person is when you try to revive, I've noticed it's quite hard to revive someone when they're on stairs, on walls etc.. It takes a few tries.
[RFW]Xenomorph
+9|6384|Sweden

misconfiguration wrote:

[RFW]Xenomorph wrote:

That depends on where the person is when you try to revive, I've noticed it's quite hard to revive someone when they're on stairs, on walls etc.. It takes a few tries.
yeah, but also while lying on a flat surface. bah nevermind i'll just try it myself
tino275
+14|6614
does this work for 2142?
SlightlySto0pid
+7|6451|New York
How can some people report 400-1100 being good and others say 30-80? It's either placebo, some people are talking our their ass, or it is extremely variable.

I have 15Mbps cable and 3.0 ghz dual core can one of you guys that experimented with this a lot suggest some settings for me please.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I made lag comp .055 because I usually play with 55 ping, i made interpolation 800 and extrapolation 250...and I can honestly say my shots registered more. Not sure if those are good settings but based on a few posts above me I think they are the right 1s and it definitely works.

Last edited by SlightlySto0pid (2006-11-15 16:04:11)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

SlightlySto0pid wrote:

How can some people report 400-1100 being good and others say 30-80? It's either placebo, some people are talking our their ass, or it is extremely variable.

I have 15Mbps cable and 3.0 ghz dual core can one of you guys that experimented with this a lot suggest some settings for me please.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I made lag comp .055 because I usually play with 55 ping, i made interpolation 800 and extrapolation 250...and I can honestly say my shots registered more. Not sure if those are good settings but based on a few posts above me I think they are the right 1s and it definitely works.
The correct selection of values does appear to be highly dependent on your specific computer specs. It might be a good idea if those that have tried, and are finding good results with, these tweaks post their comp specs and settings - we may be able to discern some sort of pattern or rule of thumb.
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6654|pimelteror.de
I would like to announce the original source of this tweak!

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_7.html

Koroush Ghazi wrote:

Usersettings.con

This file is found under your \Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Settings directory. There are two particular settings of interest here which are reported to help reduce the inaccurate feel /hit detection of weapons fire in BF2:

SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.100000

This setting controls latency (or 'lag') compensation, which involves the game attempting to offset the delay between information being sent from your machine to the server and back again (as measured in milliseconds by your Ping). In games without client-side latency compensation, you have to lead your target by a certain amount, since whenever you fire a weapon your bullets will actually register in the game world with a delay equal to your Ping. In BF2, whenever you fire a weapon, whatever appears in your crosshairs at that particular moment is registered as being hit, regardless of where they actually are at that point in time. This removes the need to predict where your target will be based on ping delay, and makes the game feel more responsive. However it can also introduce quirks like ducking behind a wall and still being hit.

In any case, this setting controls the default latency compensation applied, and the normal value is 0.100000 = 100ms. Some people claim that by adjusting this value to match your average ping in the servers you play, it can improve hit detection. For example, if you typically have a 50ms Ping, setting this to 0.050000 should improve the feeling of accuracy in the game. To be honest having experimented with this setting in isolation I didn't notice much difference either way. I believe the latency compensation is actually dynamic, only starting at the default value given in this setting, and adjusting to match your average ping over time. However even if it isn't, in general you can try to match your Ping with this setting to see the results. Note that lowering this setting well below or above your average Ping will only add to lag and may decrease your accuracy at best, so stick with keeping it equal to the Ping you get on most servers.

SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 100

Interpolation is a technique used to increase the smoothness of an online game. Basically interpolation is the prediction of where a particular moving object or character is currently located in the game world, based on data received on where they were and where they are. For example if an enemy soldier is running across the screen, interpolation allows their movement to appear fluid, calculating their predicted movement across the screen even though your computer is receiving only periodic updates of where they actually are. So instead of seeing a person jerkily warping from point to point, you see smooth animated motion all the way along. This especially helps to keep things smooth if/when packets are momentarily lost between the server and you; the game knows where the player currently is, where they were a moment ago, and calculates and displays the movements in between.

By default, Battlefield 2 appears to have a 100 millisecond buffer for interpolation. The problem with this is that while making things appear smoother, it also means that when firing upon a fast-moving object you may miss where they actually are as you're effectively facing an additional 100ms delay. At least that's the theory, and in general in my experimentation I found slightly improved hit detection results (and no noticeable increase in jerkiness) by using a lower value of 50 or even 30 for this setting. Note however that this variable should not be set too low (and certainly not a value of 0) as it will result in increased warping/jerky movements, and if you generally have a ping higher than 100 you shouldn't lower this setting. For those who do try this, also remember that the improvement from lowering this setting is not dramatic, since we're talking a difference of say 50ms (1/20th of a second). However particularly in situations where your opponent(s) are moving fast and/or erratically your accuracy should be noticeably improved.

It is important to understand that the generally inaccurate feel of most weapons in BF2 is intentional, as realism has been sacrificed for the sake of gameplay. Techniques to steady your aim such as going prone and using short bursts can help improve hit rates. Furthermore it appears that much of the time the lack of hit registration is due to lost packets. I've noticed the Battlefield series suffers quite a bit from packet loss, often manifesting as serious warping or jerkiness, getting caught against walls or other barriers, and incidents where you can appear to be firing at an unmoving target at point blank range and still somehow miss with most bullets; information is being lost to/from the server.

The key thing to note about both settings above is that unfortunately neither I nor anyone else knows for sure what the real story is - only EA/DICE know the truth about how their netcode works, and they've stated nothing to clarify these settings. What I've written above is based on my own experimentation, understanding and research about these settings. For the most part I haven't found any problems with PunkBuster by using the recommended settings above, though some servers may be very strict and not allow these values to be changed. If altering these values seems to make things worse for you, or you experience more jerkiness, lag or disconnections, reset them to the defaults shown above and leave them be.

Last edited by [pt] KEIOS (2006-11-16 03:15:51)

Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6592|Your attic
Ok, possible problem, can somebody go and check the folder that UserSettings is meant to be in, unless it's just me I think 1.41 might of stopped us from doing it.
[83rd]Stecchino
+17|6557|83Division.com
I just applied 1.41 and it's still in ...  C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Settings
MarKN
+0|6391|Sydney, Australia

[83rd]Stecchino wrote:

I just applied 1.41 and it's still in ...  C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Settings
Ever since I tried changing this 2 days ago, the usual servers I play on now tell me I have an older version installed.  I thought it was because I'd changed the GSInterpolationTime, but after moving the original file back into this folder I still get the same message.  Didn't know what to do, except try a reinstall, until I saw this post.  I've installed the 1.4 patch previously, but is there a 1.41 patch I need? Or am I screwed?
[83rd]Stecchino
+17|6557|83Division.com
I would apply patch 1.41 and try again.  Go to FileFront.com to download it.
reblinux
+0|6372
@ SargeV1.4
Just registered in the forum to say thanks mate - Made a whole load of difference for me.
Setting it to 400 = point, shoot, person dead
Setting it to 50 = point, shoot, shoot again, shoot again, die
bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6691|London, UK
patch 1.41 did not change this for me but if u look in my sig at the yellow writing it will show some scores i got in a tank cause before doing this i would hit ppl but they wouldnt die straight away
sneeky_fluff
+1|6500
I may be off the mark here but if the algorithm used to calculate hit reg is wave based within a set of fixed values (say like a sine wave) then the exceedingly high values of 400 could realistically have the same effect as having a low value of 40 if it hit the same point on the wave.

If that were the case you would have to find out what is the maximum height of each wave segment is and then work out the best value within that, or use a mulitple to hit the same height on the next segment.

Again, its only guesswork but it would explain the differential between the experiences of high and low values. Of course this assumes that additional variables are not influencing (which most likely is the case based on some of the comments made)
Gryphen_au
+5|6481
I tried 50 first up, was a great improvement... then tried 400.... sucked big time, couldn't have hit anything with the broad side of a barn, lol.

So now gonna try 40...

Last edited by Gryphen_au (2006-11-19 19:23:40)

[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6654|pimelteror.de

reblinux wrote:

@ SargeV1.4
Just registered in the forum to say thanks mate - Made a whole load of difference for me.
Setting it to 400 = point, shoot, person dead
Setting it to 50 = point, shoot, shoot again, shoot again, die
you should thank Koroush Ghazi from tweakguides.com who first gave these infos. sorry sarge.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard