LemonChicken61
+0|6758|Minneapolis, MN USA
Ever since I patched to 1.4 I am experiencing huge ping numbers!  During certain parts of the day, I don't get anything lower than 200!!!!

I don't have Nortons ( I use ZoneLab), I shut off all nonessential software ( MSN, etc.) and I still get high ping.

I used to average around 50.

Any suggestions?  I updated Windows lately with IE7 and Firefox to 2.0 but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

HELP.  I keep getting kicked because of my ping.  Sucks.

Thanks in advace!

Lemon
mark
+5|6445
I'm guessing you might be to slow specs?
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6639|Cheshire. UK
Have you set yourself a gaming hardware profile and turned of the services you dont require....

Set These services to disabled or set to start manually for Gaming with XP:

Error report service
    If a program crashes on your machine, Windows generates an error report, which it wants to send to Microsoft.
Alerter
    Notifies selected users and computers of administrative alerts. If the service is stopped, programs that use administrative alerts will not receive them. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Application Management
    Provides software installation services such as Assign, Publish, and Remove.
Automatic Updates
    Enables the download and installation of critical Windows updates. If the service is disabled, the operating system can be manually updated at the Windows Update Web site.
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    Uses idle network bandwidth to transfer data.
Computer Browser
    Maintains an updated list of computers on the network and supplies this list to computers designated as browsers. If this service is stopped, this list will not be updated or maintained. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
ClipBook
    Enables ClipBook Viewer to store information and share it with remote computers. If the service is stopped, ClipBook Viewer will not be able to share information with remote computers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
COM+ System Application
    Manages the configuration and tracking of Component Object Model (COM)+-based components. If the service is stopped, most COM+-based components will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
COM+ Event System
    Supports System Event Notification Service (SENS), which provides automatic distribution of events to subscribing Component Object Model (COM) components. If the service is stopped, SENS will close and will not be able to provide logon and logoff notifications. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Maintains links between NTFS files within a computer or across computers in a network domain.
Distributed Transaction Coordinator
    Coordinates transactions that span multiple resource managers, such as databases, message queues, and file systems. If this service is stopped, these transactions will not occur. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Fast User Switching Compatibility
    Provides management for applications that require assistance in a multiple user environment.
Help and Support
    Enables Help and Support Center to run on this computer. If this service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
    Manages CD recording using Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface (IMAPI). If this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to record CDs. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Indexing Service
    Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible querying language.
Messenger
    Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
    Manages software-based volume shadow copies taken by the Volume Shadow Copy service. If this service is stopped, software-based volume shadow copies cannot be managed. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
    Enables an authorized user to access this computer remotely by using NetMeeting over a corporate intranet. If this service is stopped, remote desktop sharing will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Network DDE
    Provides network transport and security for Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) for programs running on the same computer or on different computers. If this service is stopped, DDE transport and security will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Network DDE DSDM
    Manages Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) network shares. If this service is stopped, DDE network shares will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Network Connections
    Manages objects in the Network and Dial-Up Connections folder, in which you can view both local area network and remote connections.
NT LM Security Support Provider
    Provides security to remote procedure call (RPC) programs that use transports other than named pipes.
Performance Logs and Alerts
    Collects performance data from local or remote computers based on preconfigured schedule parameters, then writes the data to a log or triggers an alert. If this service is stopped, performance information will not be collected. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Protected Storage
    Provides protected storage for sensitive data, such as private keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes, or users.
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
    Manages and controls Remote Assistance. If this service is stopped, Remote Assistance will be unavailable. Before stopping this service, see the Dependencies tab of the Properties dialog box.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
    Manages the RPC name service database.
QoS RSVP
    Provides network signaling and local traffic control setup functionality for QoS-aware programs and control applets.
Secondary Logon
    Enables starting processes under alternate credentials. If this service is stopped, this type of logon access will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Portable Media Serial Number
    Retrieves the serial number of any portable music player connected to your computer.
Security Accounts Manager
    Stores security information for local user accounts.
Smart Card Helper
    Enables support for legacy non-plug and play smart-card readers used by this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not support legacy reader. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Smart Card
    Manages access to smart cards read by this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to read smart cards. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Task Scheduler
    Enables a user to configure and schedule automated tasks on this computer. If this service is stopped, these tasks will not be run at their scheduled times. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Telnet
    Enables a remote user to log on to this computer and run programs, and supports various TCP/IP Telnet clients, including UNIX-based and Windows-based computers. If this service is stopped, remote user access to programs might be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Terminal Services
    Allows multiple users to be connected interactively to a machine as well as the display of desktops and applications to remote computers. The underpinning of Remote Desktop (including RD for Administrators), Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and Terminal Server.
Upload Manager
    Manages synchronous and asynchronous file transfers between clients and servers on the network. If this service is stopped, synchronous and asynchronous file transfers between clients and servers on the network will not occur. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Volume Shadow Copy
    Manages and implements Volume Shadow Copies used for backup and other purposes. If this service is stopped, shadow copies will be unavailable for backup and the backup may fail. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
WebClient
    Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be available. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
    Provides image acquisition services for scanners and cameras.
Windows Installer
    Installs, repairs and removes software according to instructions contained in .MSI files.
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions
    Provides systems management information to and from drivers.
Windows Time
    Maintains date and time synchronization on all clients and servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and time synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
WMI Performance Adapter
    Provides performance library information from WMI HiPerf providers.

http://www.theorica.net/gamexp.htm

Last edited by joker3327 (2006-10-30 08:22:03)

LemonChicken61
I'm pretty sure my machine is up to spec.  May not be the fastest, but certainly not a brick.  ATI800X 256 card, 2GB of RAM.  Pentium IV, 2 GHz.  Should be plenty.
siciliano732
+202|6689|New York
wish i could help....i havent played bf2 in a good month now cuz Temple University's internet sucks so much its impossible....my pings are easily over 1000+ all day everyday....sucks...but i wish i knew how to help you....maybe it is your connection or service provider?
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6558|USA
you probably have charter aka the DEVIL...i empathize with you
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6639|S.C.
I feel sorry for you.
wachtler83
+22|6626|Columbus,Ohio
LemonChicken61
Its COMCAST ... I know it!  They just bought out TimeWarner Roadrunner!  I want my Roadrunner back!  :"o(
LemonChicken61

wachtler83 wrote:

check this out may help http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=22556
Yeah.  I saw that.  Some of the tweaks I have already done a while ago but I'll give some of the others a try.  Thanks.

I'm begining to think it my be my stupid ISP which is gonna suck if thats the case.  I even did a complete unnstal and reinstall for the 1.4 patch.
HaywoodJablowme
Baltimore Blowfish
+46|6620

LemonChicken61 wrote:

wachtler83 wrote:

Yeah.  I saw that.  Some of the tweaks I have already done a while ago but I'll give some of the others a try.  Thanks.

I'm begining to think it my be my stupid ISP which is gonna suck if thats the case.  I even did a complete unnstal and reinstall for the 1.4 patch.
I'm having the same problem, but not as bad as you.  All I get is the random choppiness every 5 seconds which makes it unplayable.  Only started after the 1.4 patch.  I think they fucked something up with that one, because I know a couple others with the same problem.

I've tried all the lag reduction tweaks in the thread too, nothing helps.  Maybe it's my ISP I'm thinking, have Comcast too.  Speed tests show 6mbps down, but only like 150-250k up.  Sucks...
0akleaves
+183|6654|Newcastle UK
I have this too its to do with your isp over selling ur broadband im with virgin.net who you with
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6504|cuntshitlake

Sell your Pentium.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
LemonChicken61

HaywoodJablowme wrote:

LemonChicken61 wrote:

wachtler83 wrote:

I'm having the same problem, but not as bad as you.  All I get is the random choppiness every 5 seconds which makes it unplayable.  Only started after the 1.4 patch.  I think they fucked something up with that one, because I know a couple others with the same problem.

I've tried all the lag reduction tweaks in the thread too, nothing helps.  Maybe it's my ISP I'm thinking, have Comcast too.  Speed tests show 6mbps down, but only like 150-250k up.  Sucks...
Oh oh...I'm in Minneapolis, MN and around here, Comcast just bought out TimeWarner.  I'm thinking they got too much traffic coming through their Hubs now in the locations where they consolidated TimeWarner Customers...this could be an ongoing issue if that is the case until they get their act together.
Dumb question, how do you speed test?
HaywoodJablowme
Baltimore Blowfish
+46|6620
just google speed tests, lots of different sites, speakeasy is a good one...

Just completely uninstalled, reinstalled and patched, testing now.

I know one thing weird though, in my logocache folder there was a file named "www." that I couldn't delete, even in safe mode, until I opened up a command box, stopped explorer, and deleted it from the command prompt.  May have no relation, but we'll see..

Edit:  seems to have helped, played a couple servers lag-free...

Last edited by HaywoodJablowme (2006-10-30 15:32:38)

LemonChicken61

HaywoodJablowme wrote:

I know one thing weird though, in my logocache folder there was a file named "www." that I couldn't delete, even in safe mode, until I opened up a command box, stopped explorer, and deleted it from the command prompt.  May have no relation, but we'll see..

How did it go Haywood?  I ran some speed tests.  My Download time is great...hit 6 mbps but my Upload time flucuated wildly.  In the evening it was down to about 128kbps and in the morning it was up to 400kbps.  My ping time was down to below 40 on a few of the servers in the morning at 400kbps but well over 250 during the evening.

I'm begining to think there is too much traffic during in the evening in my area with COMCAST.  I'm screwed.

Damn cable companies cater to broadcast "one to many" instead of optimal upload speeds "many to many."  Needs to change.
HaywoodJablowme
Baltimore Blowfish
+46|6620

LemonChicken61 wrote:

HaywoodJablowme wrote:

How did it go Haywood?  I ran some speed tests.  My Download time is great...hit 6 mbps but my Upload time flucuated wildly.  In the evening it was down to about 128kbps and in the morning it was up to 400kbps.  My ping time was down to below 40 on a few of the servers in the morning at 400kbps but well over 250 during the evening.

I'm begining to think there is too much traffic during in the evening in my area with COMCAST.  I'm screwed.

Damn cable companies cater to broadcast "one to many" instead of optimal upload speeds "many to many."  Needs to change.
Hmm I guess my reinstall did it.  Been playing a couple days now with no lag whatsoever.  So it's not comcast.  I followed the guide on here for the manual uninstall of everything, I guess that did the trick.  And that weird "www." file probably wasn't helping.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard