Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6817
nanotechnology has gone, in the span of a decade, from a little known fringe concept to a term firmly rooted in the popular conscious. it's often heralded as the future of technology, the miracle cure-all for our problems, with atomic matter manipulation resulting in our ability to make food from sewage, and cure any and all diseases.

but taking a look at human history, we know that the first use for any new technology is usually war. and nanotechnology as a weapon would be much simpler to make than nenotechnolgy as medicine. after all, tiny robots that cure cancer would need to be able to tell healthy cells from cancerous ones. tiny robot weapons, on the other hand, just have to destroy everything in its path. i think it's safe to say that weaponised nenotechnology is almost a certainty.

these are just the tamer implications of a nanotech future. where do you think this technology will end up? should we be going there at all? [the second is sort of a moot question since whether or not we should, we're going there anyway]
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6783

Clearly Deus Ex answers all your questions... in GAME FORM!

https://www.frictionlessinsight.com/PC_Reviews/DeusEx/DeusExA.jpg
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6768|Atlanta, GA USA
I'm sure there will be military development of nanotechnology.   But, the advancements made for military use always end up trickling down to the civilian sector, thus furthering the development of "non-war" uses.  As with any technology, both malevolent and benevolent uses will be found...
Home
Section.80
+447|6844|Seattle, Washington, USA

Man, I was reading Discover magazine the other day, and they had an article on carbon nanotubes. NANOTUBES ARE UB3R L337!!1! They are a material you weave together to make sheets of it. One acre of it weighs less than a pound, but it can withstand like 15,000 pounds of force per square inch. And it can also withstand up to 800 degrees farenheit. If you draped a sheet of carbon nanotubes over you, you could deflect bullets. Also, carbon nanotubes, when inserted into a human with cancer, will destroy the tumor.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6817
yes, once we have practical nanotech we won't have to worry about bullets anymore. not so much because we can deflect them, but because we'll be too worried about invisible nanoweapons gutting us from the inside out.
CL_Crusader
=CL=_Crusader [M95] His leg
+3|6728|Austria
Also if soldiers are resistent to bullets, a new and more devstating form or weapons would have to be researched and built in order to nullify the nanotube protection.

*Edit*

And by that i dont mean biological or chemical warfare but simple handguns.

Last edited by CL_Crusader (2005-12-16 22:15:51)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard