I{endo
+20|6412|berlin
hi. i'm pretty new to bf2. my first fps game. well, about 100 hours by now. still kinda feel like a rookie. i love it though and due to my broken leg i'm able to play up to 3 hours a day on a regular basis a.t.m. i'm only playing sniper-kit and only karkand so far, that is because i'm a perfectionist. gotta know everything before moving on
i've experienced some improvement in game-play by now, the only thing i don't seem to become better is cqc.
yes i know, snipers are inferior to "big gunz" in close range by nature, but still... that's why i've chosen the kit. challenge.
ok. what bugs me out is that if get into ccq, i start to think. way too much. hide? is there uav? back-up? claymore? grenade? knife? etc. and i often end up dead holding the frag, ready to throw. i just can't let go. lol.
i don't know if acting right is an automatism that will come after a certain amount of game play, or maybe it's just not my thang. i did some "reaction-testing" and that's quite fine. at least average. i also don't think i have a general problem with decisions. i play a lot of chess, tournaments and stuff, 18 years by now. kinda successful.
i also read a lot about tactics in here. great help, appreciate it much. but that often don't come to my head while in battle. i remember a quote by ltd. spears (B.o.B) where he tells someone that only if one loses hope in war one starts to function properly (something like that)
perhaps i'm a chicken
any thoughts?

p.s.: excuse my grammar, no native-tongue.
Abstinuous
+33|6426
carry an ammo bag and follow ur squad leader, u'll learn a lot

wat is cqc?:\
samhornby
Bo'Selecta!
+14|6547

I{endo wrote:

p.s.: excuse my grammar, no native-tongue.
Damn, no native tounge?

Anyway..All you have to do is practise. Also whoring it up as a Medic or as Support will help at the begining and will help you to get a ton of points, because im guessing at the moment your not very good at the whole shooty shooty, I wasnt when I started.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6545|Southeastern USA
Close Quarters Combat
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6433|Germany
cqc = close quarter combat

as you said, it really is not easy to win such a fight with the sniper kit. snipers are supposed to take out enemies from distance. the only thing I can think of is to eather shoot the enemy once with your sniper rifle and then finish him off with your pistol or just use the knife.
samfink
+31|6551
stik iot out, I've only just learned how to start properly killing people in Bf2, and I would advise medic orsuppport for cqc. I mostly play medic. and not just becasue of the revive points, the medics get a pretty decent gun, esp. the first unlock.
cablecopulate
+449|6733|Massachusetts.
You're not going to learn a thing about the game or FPS' in general playing Karkand as sniper.
Abstinuous
+33|6426
try the AK or PKM, dont zoom and spray

yeah it all comes down to practice
lendll
+16|6428
Let me get this out of the way. The more fun you (allow yourself to) have, the more skilled you get. When learning is fun, learning is done in leaps and bounds. It is good to keep in mind that falling into the trap thinking of "if I don't win, I have no fun" has negative consequences.

Good luck=]
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6616|London, England
The SVD and Type 88 are easy to use in CQC. Probably the easiest weapons to use in the game. As for the other rifles, just make sure you get one hit with the rifle then pull out the pistol as quick as possible and aim for the chest/head. If you're gonna take them on with the pistol from the start you have to aim for the head.
samfink
+31|6551
yeah, the SVD or Type 88 are bets for cqc, as they are semi-auto. as in, you can unload the whole clip w/o going out of zoom. whihc means you can get 2 quick bodyshots off which measn they are dead ( or rather critically injured)
antin0de
+44|6662|SL,UT
Dudes, he wants to keep playing sniper.  Recommending PKMs is irrelevant (and unethical... lol)

Kendo, what I usually do as a sniper caught in CQC depends on the surroundings, and how close I am to the enemy.

If I can hide behind something, I do.  Put a claymore (or two) down before running out to fight.  Maybe even lob a grenade or two, if I can find a safe throwing spot.

If I've just rounded a corner and run straight into someone, it's knife time.  Try and run circles around your new friend to confuse him.  This is especially good when capping enemy outposts, as someone may spawn right in front of you.  And before he knows where he is, your knife is in his ribs.

If someone spots me from a moderate distance and I still have some cover, I try and line up a shot from elsewhere after hiding real quick.  Or throw a grenade from behind cover.

If at any point you must resort to the pistol, go for the headshot(s)

Most effective way to play as a sniper is to remain unseen.
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6481|England
you have a kdr of over 2 thats good!
I{endo
+20|6412|berlin
thanks guys, this was very helpful yet.

svd/ type88: i think i have to get used to them first, can't handle them yet like some of u professionals
well, i have to start using them in the 1st place...

pistol: same, having problems with the sights, also i guess i psychologically underestimating them. they (stealth) sound like pfft, pfft, lol.   

lendll wrote:

Let me get this out of the way. The more fun you (allow yourself to) have, the more skilled you get. When learning is fun, learning is done in leaps and bounds. It is good to keep in mind that falling into the trap thinking of "if I don't win, I have no fun" has negative consequences.

Good luck=]
like that a lot.

cheers, I{endo
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6490|Sydney, Australia
I know exactly what you mean, when I started playing, I never went prone. I told myself to go prone in every firefight, but when it came to it it never happened. The way I fixed it was: you have to force yourself, so concentrate on one thing first. As an example, I told myself to go prone, so everytime I was in a firefight, I would will myself to go prone. I wouldn't bother shooting, or aiming, but I'd hit that "z" key like mad. After a while it became natural. So work in steps, start on one thing, such as grenading, and move on. You'll get enough experience to judge what's best in each situation. If you play chess, it means you've trained your brain to think pre-emptively, BF2 is different, you've got to be impulsive, because that's the only way of surviving in the virtual BF2 battleground.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
+315|6576|Melbourne, Australia.
Jump, prone, shoot, teabag, reload, rinse, repeat.

Well thats what I do as medic anyway...

Last edited by -[Silver.Inc* (2006-10-27 05:02:51)

elmo1337
Banned
+186|6555|The real world
It must suck living without a tongue, how do you taste food?

You dont need karkand just get in a chopper and fly, just fly
I{endo
+20|6412|berlin

Vub wrote:

If you play chess, it means you've trained your brain to think pre-emptively
...not if you play "blitz". very fast chess, sometimes 1 minute per game, it's very intuitive. other than that you are right, and i will keep in mind.

thx.
I{endo
+20|6412|berlin

elmo1337 wrote:

It must suck living without a tongue, how do you taste food?

You dont need karkand just get in a chopper and fly, just fly
i feel karkand needs me.
Bonio05
+4|6571|Germany
After playing Karkand constantly for a few weeks you will gain some sort of automated way of doing everything without thinking. You will know where the enemies hide or what paths they take and so on.
Then you will learn what kit is best for the particular area or situation.
It's all about practice.
Barrakuda777
+86|6732|Somewhere near a shrub or rock
Dont get caught where you dont want to be caught and when you dont have your exits in place.  (By exits, i mean your planned escape route)

You can limit the number of approches to your position with claymores, drop them to channel your opponents into your killzone, and always always know how to evade if you get spotted.

To be honest your best bet on Karkand is to be part of a squad working together (ok thats good advice for anyone on any map!)
When i move on Karkand its as a squad. This is where IMO snipers are most effective (NOT ON SOME RANDOM BUILDING) as you are a low priority target who can engage targets outside of their effective range and can pick off ther bigest threats to your squad in 1 shot.

As a sniper there are going to be places and kits you dont want to run into, range is your main weapon so try to give these spots (generally chokepoints) as wide a berth as possible. You need to develop your own feel for the map and the kit but its all basically how you as the player approaches it that counts. Dont get caught up close by the AK101 or PKM as you will loose majority of times.

If you want look me up on xfire I can show you how I play Karkand as a sniper only

Barrakuda777
(AKA) koodas_sniper_rifle

Kooda

Last edited by Barrakuda777 (2006-10-27 06:56:12)

Kobrakai
Weirdo
+152|6784|England

cablecopulate wrote:

You're not going to learn a thing about the game or FPS' in general playing Karkand as sniper.
I{endo
+20|6412|berlin

Kobrakai wrote:

cablecopulate wrote:

why is that?
samfink
+31|6551
as generally karkand snipers don't learn too much. plus it's REALLY hard to line up shots, so don't bother. aftre all, there are usually nade/claymore whores there, and they can easily lob a nade up at you. even the assault guys ( why is the G3 the most used assault rifle on karkand? clue: it doesn't have a noob tube)
I{endo
+20|6412|berlin

samfink wrote:

as generally karkand snipers don't learn too much.
still, why is that? really curious.

perhaps i'm wrong, but e.g. i see many (fast) moving targets on this map. so it gives me opportunity to learn about leading and stuff. no good at it yet. i feel an urge to keep practicing

i like the sticky, dense, dusty "yellowish" atmosphere in that city-map.
will try others though, word. i've checked out some on empty servers. 

as to the nade spamming in the beginning of a round: i was given advice to avoid. works quite well. no such a problem in my opinion.

btw: has anyone of you played "sniper-elite"? pretty realistic game. gravitation, wind and distance matters. in the first couple of hours playing bf2 i was putting my crosshair inches above the target. them must have thought i go for hunting birds.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard